Is there a player you wouldn't mind watching dominate?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how there's been a few Kevin Na references in this conversation. I really enjoyed his emotion after he finally won again. And his back and forth with his caddy before tugging one left and then holing out the impossible up and down. Rory is awesome to watch when he's on. 2015 Spieth was pretty good to watch too. My three picks.

I’ve always been a Kevin Na fan. Amazing that he was able to overcome the driver yips or whatever that was and still compete. I even looked for those shirts he was wearing long ago with the Na logo that resembled a sodium symbol on the periodic table but never found them for sale. Okay I’m a bit of a geek.

I want to see someone that plays the game the way even most pros don't or can't. Playing the proper shot type for each shot. Right, left, high, low, spinner, etc. Picking the course apart like a surgeon. Combine that with a fiery, chip-on-the-shoulder, you can't beat me attitude. Excluding Tiger, who has those things? Patrick Reed and Poulter for attitude and maybe Bubba for style?

I want to see someone that plays the game the way even most pros don't or can't. Playing the proper shot type for each shot. Right, left, high, low, spinner, etc. Picking the course apart like a surgeon. Combine that with a fiery, chip-on-the-shoulder, you can't beat me attitude. Excluding Tiger, who has those things? Patrick Reed and Poulter for attitude and maybe Bubba for style?

Well, whatever style of golf consistently rises to the top in a given era is likely to be optimal with respect to the equipment of that time.

For instance, modern players are almost all long and powerful. A player coming onto the tour couldn't drive the ball 275 on average and still hope to win consistently. Moreover, controlling distance seems to be far more important to in modern golf versus hitting the perfect shot shape.

For a player to come along and win with less-than-optimal strategies it would signal that player is significantly better. Given the practice time and analysis put into modern golf, there's probably no way to gain that much advantage.

Besides, players have always striven to hit it long and straight. Today's tech only allows players to do that with greater reliability. I don't think the game will shift back to an old-school way of playing.

SIM (10.5o) (Tensei Pro Org.)
TS2 4w (17o)

M6 7w (21o)

z785 (4-Pw)
SM8 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
Newport 2 Select

I'm not a big fan of the current crop of "buddy golf". Being very competitive, I want to see someone stomp on the hearts of their competitors and then watch them keep their head down as they shake your hand on their 18th green. As far as the current crop, I'd like to see Patrick Reed dominate and get the grand slam.

The next great player is currently 7 years old and will hit the tour in summer 2031 after a couple years in college. How do I know? I caddied for him last week.

If it goes right, it's a slice. If it goes left, it's a hook. If it goes straight, it's a miracle.

I'd like to see Duff man go on a tear.

shrug / yawn

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]