2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Another US Major at a Course You can't play

While excited to watch the PGA championship, it is another course that most avid golfers will never get the chance to play. I just returned from Scotland on an epic golf trip, my first time in the country. The originators of golf still have it figured out better than we do in the USA. I think that includes golf course maintenance, the pace of play, the cost to play, and the openness of the courses. It is amazing that you can step onto any Open rota course in the UK and we were able to hit two of them, Old Course and Murifield, while we were there.

It is really a shame that there are so many unbelievable, beautiful, and historic golf courses that many of us who love the game will never get the chance to play in the US.

I realize that Pebble, Torrey, Erin Hills and Bethpage are some exceptions but I think the point is still valid.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said and I agree they have it figured out. Even things such as courses that are walkable and it is expected to do so are a great thing in my mind

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

Well said and I agree they have it figured out. Even things such as courses that are walkable and it is expected to do so are a great thing in my mind

Yep. It is also amazing to walk places like Carnoustie, Muirfield, Old Course and see how courses that are hundreds of years old stand up still as championship courses even today.

I believe a course is absorbed while walking, far more enjoyable

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

I'm with ya o p. with a few exceptions or concerns. The average beer swillin, blue tooth playin' weekend warrior/hacker would tear up the greens and putting surfaces of these majestic courses.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

While excited to watch the PGA championship, it is another course that most avid golfers will never get the chance to play. I just returned from Scotland on an epic golf trip, my first time in the country. The originators of golf still have it figured out better than we do in the USA. I think that includes golf course maintenance, the pace of play, the cost to play, and the openness of the courses. It is amazing that you can step onto any Open rota course in the UK and we were able to hit two of them, Old Course and Murifield, while we were there.

It is really a shame that there are so many unbelievable, beautiful, and historic golf courses that many of us who love the game will never get the chance to play in the US.

I realize that Pebble, Torrey, Erin Hills and Bethpage are some exceptions but I think the point is still valid.

How so with maintenance?

How so with maintenance?

Well I am sure some of it is due to grass type and climate but, they are ok if the grass goes brown, it still plays well. see Carnoustie. Also bunkers for example. There, the pot bunkers are not overdone. They are stacked sod with sand at the bottom, no need to have sand up to the lip of each bunker or as much need to keep replacing the sand in the bunker. Also, you don't lose a lot of balls, You may hit it into the rough or between holes but the terrain is such you can find your ball many times, it just may be difficult to get it out.

Links golf is just an enjoyable experience all around.

How so with maintenance?

Well I am sure some of it is due to grass type and climate but, they are ok if the grass goes brown, it still plays well. see Carnoustie. Also bunkers for example. There, the pot bunkers are not overdone. They are stacked sod with sand at the bottom, no need to have sand up to the lip of each bunker or as much need to keep replacing the sand in the bunker. Also, you don't lose a lot of balls, You may hit it into the rough or between holes but the terrain is such you can find your ball many times, it just may be difficult to get it out.

Links golf is just an enjoyable experience all around.

Oh definitely agree with links golf being a good time.

I get it, and personally I don't care that much, but if the stewards of the game are really interested in growing it more, projecting a certain amount of "access" to major championship pro courses could be an idea worth considering.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

I get it, and personally I don't care that much, but if the stewards of the game are really interested in growing it more, projecting a certain amount of "access" to major championship pro courses could be an idea worth considering.

Do you really think that allowing more access to Shinnecock Hills, Winged Foot, Oakmont, et. al would grow the game more?

Golf should focus on keeping their core golfers interested. Have you seen how grown men act about playing exclusive clubs? They would sell their mom down the river for certain tracks. There is more access then ever before in golf. 2nd and 3rd tier clubs have openings, OP forgot Chambers Bay, Top tier destination golf which is better then many of the Major championship sites. Golf now with racing ma and pa tracks to bottom.

Golf should focus on keeping their core golfers interested. Have you seen how grown men act about playing exclusive clubs? They would sell their mom down the river for certain tracks. There is more access then ever before in golf. 2nd and 3rd tier clubs have openings, OP forgot Chambers Bay, Top tier destination golf which is better then many of the Major championship sites. Golf now with racing ma and pa tracks to bottom.

There is never going to be a shortage of older, overweight, male golfers who have no other sports left to play. Keeping them interested takes no more than a cold beer handed out by a girl who wouldn't give them the time of day on any other occasion. But again, you might have missed the part where I said I don't care all that much.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

There is never going to be a shortage of older, overweight, male golfers who have no other sports left to play. Keeping them interested takes no more than a cold beer handed out by a girl who wouldn't give them the time of day on any other occasion. But again, you might have missed the part where I said I don't care all that much.

I worked at a private major championship track when I was a lad. Could hit balls anytime I wasn't working and could play everyday after 3pm. Was surprised on how few of my co workers didn't partake in taking advantage of that great opportunity. Cheers to not caring!

Most major championship courses are so far out of price range to what I could afford, they may as well be private. Sure I can pony up, but $200+ for greens fees is silly money. And Erin Hills you can't even enter the property without a tee time. Drove the back roads home from the Broadlands a few weeks ago to avoid rush hour in Milwaukee and bamb, we see a sign that says 1 mi to Erin Hills, so my buddy and I drive up to the old fart in the guard shack and he let's us down gently. We did drive away with a scorecard and a brochure. Public if you have a time, private if you don't. I dunno why, but I was disappointed, even though we happened upon the place.

First world problems... SMH!

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Rest assured the average UK player cannot afford our championship courses. We can get access but £1000 for a fourball at Troon? £1120 at Kingsbarns? And Muirfield bends over backwards for US and other international visitors but is a pain in the posterior for UK players to get on.

Pretty sure my caddie said he pays around 500 pounds for a membership to Dornoch, and had a waiter in Lower Largo indicate he also belongs way up in Dornoch and used to have a pretty reasonable membership at Lundin Links. I had the impression there are plenty of high quality golf courses that can be played pretty reasonably by the average golfer, at least in discussions I had.

I'm sure there are some that are exclusive, and very exclusive, but the impression was a lot more access, and at more reasonable prices than many of the higher end/rated courses in the U.S. for sure.

Mike Keiser was interviewed a couple years ago and said that he could see a lot of clubs open their doors slowly but surely like they do in the UK. I could see a bunch of courses deciding to go the semi-private route, but the ones with old money or a constant stream of revenue (i.e. Oakmont, Shinny, ANGC) won’t even think about it. Of course I would love to play so many of these courses, and I hope someday I get to. That being said, I'm sure I'll find some great public courses to visit in my lifetime, and I'll do my best to hit private courses too.