What shot strikes fear into your playing partners?

In golf, although not directly playing against each other, I think there is a lot of intimidation factor. Whether it's a long drive, a very good putter, excellent iron player or magical short game; I think it's important to have one shot that strikes some fear into your playing partners' hearts.

Not too loud, the golf gods might hear, but what shot do you have that strikes fear into your playing partners' hearts?

For me, since we are mid 70s and low 80s players and not always hitting GIRs, it's my chipping around the greens getting it up and down. Two reasons I believe why I am good at this. 1. I miss a lot of greens 2. This is the part of the game I work on the most (a lot).

The second one is my shanked PW, no telling who it's gonna hit.

Driver - Honma TW 747 455 10.5*

4 Wood - Tour Edge EX9 Tour 17*

Hybrid - Honma TW 727 22*

Irons 5 - PW Bridgestone J33 CB

Wedges -Miura Tour 52/58

Putter - Slighter Seattle 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having a 10 footer for birdie.

SIM 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"

SIM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X

MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

My pull back 90 yard wedge ... to within three feet

[color=#4B0082]T[/color][color=#800080]our[/color][color=#4B0082] E[/color][color=#800080]xotics [/color][color=#FF0000]E [/color][color=#000000]10 [/color][color=#800080]15*[/color]
[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="#ff0000"]Sri[/color][/font][color=#000000]xon 785's w/G P stnd. cord [/color]
[color=#0000CD]Mizuno T 7 52 T 20 56 &60[/color]
Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
[color=#006400]Oregon Ducks Bag[/color]
Eureka Ca. 

Would you lose your advantage if you worked on hitting more greens?

I get it, but it's not gonna happen. Mediocre driver and iron player.

Wedges -Miura Tour 52/58

To be honest... All of them. My buddies that I always play with are not very good and I don't care. We've played together for 30 years so I know their games and they know mine. While I will go out and play as often as I can as a single when we don't get together, they will NEVER go out and play as a single anywhere because they think they stink... they don't "stink", per se... but they aren't exactly burning it up out there. And even when I tell them- think of the people who have been paired with us to make a foursome over the years. How many of them were REALLY that much better than you?

So, I get a lot more practice and they just like to play as buddies, so I can hit any shot and they know it's generally going to go where I want it to. Even when I tell them to "watch this- I'm going UNDER this tree, then OVER the next one and then let the wind carry it back over the trees back to the fairway about 185 yards away..." then do it (actually happened last year). Even after telling THEM over and over to NEVER go for the hero shot, get back into play and avoid the X's

But I would say the one shot that drives them crazy is the super lob over bushes, tree limbs, bunkers, creeks or any other obstacle that lands soft and trickles towards the hole. Next would be the low bullet draw around things that will run out forever. They will chip back out (sometimes) to the fairway and be safe. While I can sling it a decent amount towards the hole when needed.

To be honest... All of them. My buddies that I always play with are not very good and I don't care. We've played together for 30 years so I know their games and they know mine. While I will go out and play as often as I can as a single when we don't get together, they will NEVER go out and play as a single anywhere because they think they stink... they don't "stink", per se... but they aren't exactly burning it up out there. And even when I tell them- think of the people who have been paired with us to make a foursome over the years. How many of them were REALLY that much better than you?

So, I get a lot more practice and they just like to play as buddies, so I can hit any shot and they know it's generally going to go where I want it to. Even when I tell them to "watch this- I'm going UNDER this tree, then OVER the next one and then let the wind carry it back over the trees back to the fairway about 185 yards away..." then do it (actually happened last year). Even after telling THEM over and over to NEVER go for the hero shot, get back into play and avoid the X's

But I would say the one shot that drives them crazy is the super lob over bushes, tree limbs, bunkers, creeks or any other obstacle that lands soft and trickles towards the hole. Next would be the low bullet draw around things that will run out forever. They will chip back out (sometimes) to the fairway and be safe. While I can sling it a decent amount towards the hole when needed.

I get the high soft lob wedge shot. Many years ago, I used to play with my cousin who was deadly with his old Ping lob wedge. It's just such a difficult shot that I did not have so I was always amazed when he did it, not so much feared it, but really admired it.

Wedges -Miura Tour 52/58

I'm quite a bit longer off the tee than most anyone else I play with. A couple of friends can keep within 10-20 yards. If I'm on with my driver, by the end of the round I can tell my partners are trying to keep pace. They start swinging out of their shoes and the ball starts going sideways. In a friendly wager I can almost hear their heart drop when I hit a big drive right down the middle.

Otherwise, I'm a pretty good iron player with a knack of getting my ball back in play when my driver misbehaved. Just when they think they have the advantage, I can give myself a chance at winning the hole.

Although, I still have plenty of days where no one should fear me for any reason.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

Not a shot as such but I know from the chat amongst our sweep my consistency of the tee gets in their heads a bit and if I want to I can stick it 30 past them into the bargain.

The main thing, and it is total arrogance, is if I walk a putt in on the first few holes, they know it's going to be tough to be beat me. Only became a thing recently, I'd walked a 30 footer in for birdie on the first (started walking after 5 foot) and then a few weeks in a row I walked silly long putts in and I went on to win comfortably. If I feel the weight early I know I'm in with a shout. If I don't, it's probably a ho hum around HCP day. Total arrogance but when I found out it wound a few up I've kept doing it because I know I'm in their heads early. It's a mental game and small things make a big difference over the course of 18 holes.

I’ve got two that wear people down. I frequently hit all 14 fairways. It gets to people after awhile to see you constantly sitting in the middle of the fairway while they’re trying to get out of trouble, and the high lob with a 64* wedge.

Lots of people ask to look at the 64*, put it on the ground, and then just shake their heads and hand it back.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
Irons: TaylorMade M CGB Max 6-SW
Wedges:  Callaway PM Grind 59* and 64*
Putter:  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red S
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I’ve got two that wear people down. I frequently hit all 14 fairways. It gets to people down after awhile to see you constantly sitting in the middle of the fairway while they’re trying to get out of trouble, and the high lob with a 64* wedge.

Lots of people ask to look at the 64*, put it on the ground, and then just shake their heads and hand it back.

I use a 64 as well. Get the same astonishment when people look at it.

Hitting fairway after fairway definitely wears people down. It at least it wears me down. When you need someone to make a mistake only to see them sitting in the middle yet again!

Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60

Sorry, but unless we're going head to head in a ring with bare knuckles, there's no golf shot by anybody which intimidates me. I don't care if they hit it 100 past me (some do!)

Never understood that in golf!

Hey, if I could get my handicap to where yours is, there wouldn't be much that scares me either :)

Seriously though, no reason for you to be. even if they out drive you by 100 yards, you obviously have the game to easily make up the deficit!

Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60

Any sort of half wedge when my playing partner is standing 45° to my right! :swoon:

TM M1 2017 9.5° w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0
Titleist 917f2 or TM M1 2017 both 15° w/ Fujikura Pro84 stiff
Titleist 816H1 18 w/ speeder 9.8 tour spec stiff.
Bridgestone j15 w/ KBS Tour V X soft-stepped
Vokey SM6 50/54/58
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
Bridgestone Mini Staff bag

Sorry, but unless we're going head to head in a ring with bare knuckles, there's no golf shot by anybody which intimidates me. I don't care if they hit it 100 past me (some do!)

Hey, if I could get my handicap to where yours is, there wouldn't be much that scares me either :)

Seriously though, no reason for you to be. even if they out drive you by 100 yards, you obviously have the game to easily make up the deficit!

Regardless of my handicap, they used to talk about Tiger's "intimidation" of other players. Makes no sense to me. These guys are the best of the best, they aren't intimidated.

Regardless of my handicap, they used to talk about Tiger's "intimidation" of other players. Makes no sense to me. These guys are the best of the best, they aren't intimidated.

I think they admitted to it back in the day. I doubt it is a much an issue nowadays. But, when you saw Tiger right behind you on the leaderboard, I can see where it would press guys into playing super aggressive and start making mental mistakes.

Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60