Evidently Brooks is "Yoked, Ripped and Jacked".....Orly?

joeplus2

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning Drive just reported Brooks is able to do 14 reps @ 225 lbs on the bench press.

225 bench totals for different-sized athletes to meet NFL status quo:

• Linemen: 30-39
  • Tight Ends and Linebackers: 25-30
  • Running Backs: 20-25
  • Defensive Backs and Receivers: 15-20

https://www.bodybuil...ench-press.html

So you're saying he's almost at a Defensive Back level? ;)

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

Two factions here. Non lifters who know Brooks is big for a golfer And muscle heads who say “ he’s tiny ,barely any definition at all “. Typed while they cut the sleeves out of their T shirts and slits down the neck.

Honestly who cares ? Why start another “ he’s built like a linebacker “. “ no he’s not “. Thread ?

What the announcers are going on about is how "ripped" Brooks (and before him Rory, DJ, Tiger) are compared to the other guys on Tour and your average guy on the street or at work or wherever. They're pretty damned fit and athletic and strong.

Of course they're not ripped like the mirror-gazing crowd at the gym. That's such a tiny slice of the population, and it's just not relevant to golf.

I'm so tired of hearing complaints about this.

It doesn't matter when you've got a delicate 30 foot chip from deep rough, or when you have a sliding 5 footer for par. Scoring still happens inside 150 yards

And then there's that too!

It doesn't matter when you've got a delicate 30 foot chip from deep rough, or when you have a sliding 5 footer for par. Scoring still happens inside 150 yards

Sure, but let's not overlook the fact that if your opponent is sitting at that 150 mark with a 8 iron and you're at 110 with a wedge because you constantly blow your drive past him by 40 yards that you have a distinct advantage.

Koepka and DJ are the guys at 110 more often than their opponents. To their credit, they have pretty decent short games these days as well. Koepka is killing it this weekend in proximity to the hole, helped a whole lot by being in wedge distance on his 2nd shots.

Rory is up there as well and he is mediocre at best on the short game.

46th from 75-100.

193rd from 50-75.

45th in proximity to the hole.

But yet he's still #5 OWGR in the world.

Morning Drive just reported Brooks is able to do 14 reps @ 225 lbs on the bench press.

14 x 225 should be like a 320 1rm.

Thats some work.

I would say DJ has the perfect golf body (No h***). Long, lanky and still strong.

TSR3 9* | Ventus Blue TR 6X

TSR2+ 13* | Ventus Red 7X 

T200 2-Iron | Ventus Blue HY 10X

T150's 3-PW | DG TI X100

SM10 Raw 

50.12F | DG TI X100

54.12D | DG TI S400

60.08M | DG TI S400

TM MySpider X Blk on Blk 34"

Titleist Pro V1

Probably the "beefiest" dude on tour. Benches 315. And hits it a mile. Of course he's going to be hyped, because it's not normal for a golfer.

315 is a lot of weight. I would believe that if I saw it. Everyone seems impressed if any of these guys lift weights as part of their regimen. I've seen Rory in person several times and he is pretty wirey looking and not jacked like the announcers keep talking about. Even tiger didn't look jacked, just broad shoulders and he actually had a chest to puff out.

These threads always go so far in one direction that the athletic ability of golfers becomes woefully underrated.

By post 20 in these threads guys are like "Brooks gets compared to an NFL player, but in reality he's a weakling probably unable to lift a sofa cushion. Put him in our flag football league and he'd literally be DEAD within 3 minutes!"

Koepka is probably in better shape than 99% of the members here. He looks like he's in great shape, and does look pretty built.

But i read these threads and it's like i'm expected to believe the majority of our members look like JJ Watt.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I've had a simalar build and it takes a min of 4 days a week in the gym. Not that hard with proper nutrition. What's crazy is that he played golf after a hard chest workout. If you're taking your muscles to exhaustion and then hitting the links, that seems weird to me. Also when I was jacked I did have better stamina and less prone to injury, but did not hit it farther.

Also it's hard to juggle a workout routine where you're taking your muscles to exhaustion 4 days a week and trying to golf every day. It's almost impossible, which is why no one on tour looks like BK. What he's doing is freakish.

I've been working out for almost 20 years and can honestly say i can't life heavy within 4-5 days of playing and feel 100%. I'm not saying i can't play but i notice a difference when i'm completely recovered vs not. Hard to imagine hitting the gym hard before a round.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I've been working out for almost 20 years and can honestly say i can't life heavy within 4-5 days of playing and feel 100%. I'm not saying i can't play but i notice a difference when i'm completely recovered vs not. Hard to imagine hitting the gym hard before a round.

That is one thing I will give these guys credit for. I've been a competitive powerlifter/training as such for close to 22 years, and even now (although I'm 40), I can't truly go hard in the the weight room (granted, my hard is much different than theirs) and swing reasonably well for days after, much less the same day. I can stay in the 3 plate range on bench, 4 plate range on squat and deads and swing fine, but anything near 3 rep or 1 rep max, and I'm toast for golf that week. So I don't know exactly how they do it and keep sharp on the course.

Why must golf announcers and even fans compare it to another sport? It's a wonderful game, but there is zero physicality. The peraon earlier comparing it to sprinting or shotput, not even close. Track and field events show dynamic athleticism in the purist forms.

Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
Ping Glide 50 SS
Cleveland CG16 , 56
Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter

Nope, but I will say he's a bada** golfer.

That is one thing I will give these guys credit for. I've been a competitive powerlifter/training as such for close to 22 years, and even now (although I'm 40), I can't truly go hard in the the weight room (granted, my hard is much different than theirs) and swing reasonably well for days after, much less the same day. I can stay in the 3 plate range on bench, 4 plate range on squat and deads and swing fine, but anything near 3 rep or 1 rep max, and I'm toast for golf that week. So I don't know exactly how they do it and keep sharp on the course.

They prob aren’t doing 1-3 rep max stuff much. I lift 4 days a week, heaviest I go pretty much every workout is 4-5 rep max and I can swing easily right after workout. I actually like being sore when I play.

I think OP just wanted people to notice how yoked he is from his profile pic lol. JK. But yes OP is way more built than Brooks. With a +.2 handicap probably hits it further too!

So sure Brooks isn't ripped like the LD guys, but he is the biggest amongst the best players. I think Gary Woodland looks like the most tightly bound core of muscle dude, but Brooks looks bigger and is the better golfer for sure. I think the clear trend would be pro golfers who would work harder to improve their physiques to look like the LD guys but also have the time to work on their game. Pretty hard to find that balance I think.

For those who somehow say hitting the ball is a physical act... uh sure. Swinging a club wildly is a physical act. Hitting a golf ball with extreme precision is something that definitely involves the fine workings of the sharp mind. It's not complicated mathematics or programming whatever, but it's performed on the fly and requires extreme precision.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Golf is primarily an explosive power based game a la sprinting, shotput, baseball hitting. It's not an endurance sport like marathon running, it's not a mental sport like chess. The name of the game is controlled raw explosive power. Now that Tiger enlightened the world on this concept and changed the game, this is what the future will look like. Pure unadulterated man meat crushing PEDs like John Daly did Coors Light and hitting 370+ yard dingers off the tee.

Golf is nothing like sprinting. Maybe a little like shot-putting or hitting in baseball, but, over the course of a tournament the swing does tax the body a lot. Also, I doubt there are more than a handful of people who would think of using PEDS in Golf. Finally, to say that golf is not a mental sport... Tell that to a golfer.

It's mental in the sense that proprioception, hand-eye coordination, power, and everything we do requires a functioning brain, and some people's brains help facilitate these things better than others. But as far is it being a mental game like chess or poker, nope. Golf is an outdoor physical activity and whoever hits the ball best, a primarily physical act, wins.

Have you ever played tournament golf at a high level? Sure hitting it the best is important but it can be incredibly mentally draining especially on a difficult golf course or in difficult conditions. certainly it doesn't go to the extent of chess but it is a large component.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

TV makes people look way bigger than they actually are as well

Can concur. Brooks IS a big dude, but he's not this jacked monster people say he is. He walked right by me at the US Open. Thick guy with some meat, but not some ripped hulk that he's currently being made to be. DJ is also much skinnier and wirey looking. Biggest surprise out of any pro for me was how tall Jimmy Walker really is, and how small Tommy Fleetwood is.

He might have a problem with salt in his diet thus giving him that "puffy" look.

It happened to Val Kilmer and Kirstie Alley.

I think they had other problems with their diets besides salt. Like tonnage.

I have the same issue. I actually am going to my first Weight Watcher meeting tonight at my doc's suggestion.

I'd actually say he's pretty strong. Anyone who can deadlift + squat + bench 300 is pretty respectable, not world-class powerlifter or anything, but better than 99.5% of people in 99.5% of gyms. Benching 300 is by far the most difficult of those three.

How much does BK deadlift?