MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

> @thechief16 said:

> > @dcmidnight said:

> > I do not get the recent rise of threadhate for Northwest. Its definitely the MD course I've played the most over the last 6 or 7 years. Its super cheap to walk during the week. Its one of if not the most walkable course on any of these lists so far. Conditioning is usually decent for a moco course - although have not played there this year. Driving range is decent for a county course. But you probably are playing 3 rounds for the price of one at Whiskey.

>

> Speaking only for myself, it's the decision to ordain that thou shalt not be allowed to enter or play a ball out of the un-mowed areas, many of which lie well within the usual area of play. F that place.

>

It's that, plus the fact that like 6 of the holes are just dead straight with nothing between the tee and the green with no logical bunkering, or hazarding.

"oh, so I just hit it straight at the green, then hit it straight at the green again?"

The holes I like there are the ones that many people don't like. . .the 2nd, the 4th, the 9th, the 3rd, the 17th (using the new numbering where the 1st hole is the straight one that goes down hill, not the flat one that dog legs right).

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• dcmidnight

• FAbb

• SullGolf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With great regret, I am posting today to inform you all that our friend GMen has passed away. His death was unexpected. I have no details and am awaiting info on funeral services and how best to send

Field Report: 2nd Swing Wilmington DE     After Christmas, my son uttered the words that every 90's shooter golfer longs to hear out of his progeny, in the hopes that they can live vica

This was my Version 2, 36 hours of fridge fermentation and a 75/25 mozzarella and provolone blend. I forgot I had a vented pan and this cooked up in about 7 minutes in a 425 degree convection cycle. 

Posted Images

> @dcmidnight said:

> IMO Caves Valley was 100x better of a course and of an experience than Congressional was.

>

> But I think I got crushed before for saying that.

Caves is awesome. Only played it once. most likely never again. I like the Congressional. But if I'm picking between those two for the rest of my life. Caves.

Now. Throw in Woodmont in. I'm taking that

> @HighBoomingDraws said:

> Best Courses I've Played In MD:

>

> 1) TPC Avenel

> 2) Worthington Manor

> 3) Waverly Woods

> 4) Maryland Golf & Country Club

> 5) Whiskey Creek

> 6) Blue Mash

> 7) Country Club of MD

> 8) Rolling Road CC

> 9) Musket Ridge

> **10) CC Woodmore**

If Woodmore was conditioned anything like the Frederick courses, it would easily be top 5 on most lists.

> @HighBoomingDraws said:

> Best Courses I've Played In MD:

>

> 1) TPC Avenel

> 2) Worthington Manor

> 3) Waverly Woods

> 4) Maryland Golf & Country Club

> 5) Whiskey Creek

> 6) Blue Mash

> 7) Country Club of MD

> 8) Rolling Road CC

> 9) Musket Ridge

> 10) CC Woodmore

Depressing that I've only played 4 on this list. I really need to get out to Musket Ridge since it's about 15 mins from my house.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Anyone on here ever play Clustered Spires? I know the condition can be extremely dodgy, but I really enjoy the layout. Has a good amount of quirk and variety of looks from different tees, and really does a good job of presenting different options.

[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

We played Clustered Spires for a Capital Cup years ago. They hosted a US Open local qualifier right before our tourney, then it rained the entire week and they couldn't mow the rough. It remains the toughest rough I've ever played in, including at Torrey Pines and Bethpage. We played LCP, and the ball sank right to the bottom no matter what you did. You had to step on your ball to find it.

I like it. Fun course that still has an easier muni setup. I haven't played there recently, but my pops is moving up that way and I expect I'll play there a bit more often. For me Clustered involves driving by Whiskey, Worthington, Blue Mash, and PB Dye. But I expect a place like WM will beat up a older mid-teens cap to the point he won't want to play there too often.

• Like 1

> @gregh729 said:

> I've played a ton of rounds at Clustered Spires. A guy I play with alot practically lives on the course now that he is retired. I like that it is not cookie cutter, but at the same time user friendly. I'd still love to see a set of tees in teh 6300-6400 range

Greg they've actually added a tee box between the tips and the whites this year. I believe the blues. It's about 6500.

• Like 2

Clustered Spires is definitely easier for the lesser-skilled golfer (ME!), which is represented pretty well by the 130 slope (CS from tips) vs 137 for WM (from the blue) from fairly similar yardages, but interestingly enough pretty much identical ratings.

• Like 1

I ordered a JPX 919 hot metal 4 iron (DG 120 s300) to replace my JPX Pro 800 4 iron (had a DG s300 shaft in it which I never really loved). xhoop's 900 HM is sweet, and I wanted one, and had left over 2nd swing credit to burn. I've been avoiding hitting my 4i, so something needed to happen there. I got the DG 120 s300 in the CBX PW, and I like it a lot. It's noticeably lighter than the normal s300.

HM 4 iron loft is 20*. They don't make a 3 iron. Big gap between 4 and 5 iron, and that distance comes up so infrequently that I don't care, but a 4i that I was confident in swinging would have worked well on #4 and #11 at blue mash last weekend. Hit 5i on #4 to the very front of the green, and 3h on #11 that would have been long if it didn't plug in the fairway mound between the green and bunker.

I agree with many of the choices listed above for MD. What's interesting, is I can only think of one VA course I'd put even remotely close to the MD courses, and that is Laurel Hills. Pleasant Valley is ok and I played it a lot when I took up the game but I probably haven't played a single VA course in the last two years. PoSho, PV, and LH are the only courses I can remember playing in the last five years. I've probably played 15 in MD. Somewhat Hive related I think as the majority of the events are in MD.

Srixon z785 9.5'
Ping G410 2 Hybrid
Ping G 3 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 4 Iron
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged - 5-GW
Titleist SM8 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT 11S

> @2moreTerps said:

> why do you rank avenel first? It's in great shape and it's really hard. But I wouldn't rank it particularly high.

Fair question. I only played it once this March. Shot a million. It was hard. Conditions were great for winter. I guess people have beef with the layout but I thought it was interesting and want to try it again. I guess this is just me saying Avenel is probably the "nicest" course I've played in Maryland with the definition of "nice" being very general.

I’m a big fan of Clustered. Love the layout. I know it’s on the easier side but I am not a good player at all. And they have pretzel buns on their hot dogs. I remember liking Rattlewood a lot, I’ll see how much I still do Friday. Worthington is just too much course for me. The people are great, the conditions are solid, but that course punches me in the giblets. Not interested in paying for that. Whiskey is just too much. My favorite course in MD all things considered is Eagle’s Landing. Nice views, decently cheap, and both times I’ve been there the course has been in great shape.

Ping Rapture 14 Stiff Saishin (sp)
Ping Rapture 21 vs Proto Stiff
Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65

I would play Falls Road a lot if it weren’t so busy. I like the course as a fun round with good replay value. It caps out at about 6k yards, which is fine for sinking around casually.

It’s a go-to spot for me in the winter when I can zoom around without all the people. I haven’t played an in season round there in years though.

> @SullGolf said:

> I would play Falls Road a lot if it weren’t so busy.

The biggest issue with Falls Rd for me is the front nine, pace of play and the staff. Even the driving range is always packed. Back nine is visually more interesting and a good walk in winter. I’m not sure what the deal is with the staff but I had to tell this lady there that she worked at a Moco course and not Congressional!

Northwest always seems to be a better option.

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @aiyyer said:

> > Worst Course - Falls Road.

> >

> Apparently, you’ve never played Frederick Golf Club or Maple Run.

>

Agree about Frederick, but man is it cheap. I actually liked Maple Run the one time I played it.

Ping Rapture 14 Stiff Saishin (sp)
Ping Rapture 21 vs Proto Stiff
Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65