2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

We played "baseball" and instead of giving Domes strokes, we gave him 1 mulligan on each of his handicap holes.

This did not go well.

For domes.

Speaking of baseball. . .of you guys going to any world series games?

I remember seeing Grienke VERY EARLY in his career. It was at an interleague game in Philly and no one had heard of him. But, I'm watching him pitch and couldn't believe how much his curve ball was breaking and he looked really good for a recent call up. I just looked up the game log. . .it was his SIXTH career start. He struck out 6 in 6 innings. Gave up 3 runs. That wasn't one of those real good Phillies teams. They had Jimmy Rollins and Jim Thome (after Cleveland), but it was before Ryan Howard got there. He was called up Sept 1 that year.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Golf with City, and Domes out at Turf Valley yesterday.

10/10 weather. Would bang on repeat until the end of my days above ground.

The course was in good shape. We've had a fair amount of rain recently, so it was soft, but not excessively so. There wasn't any roll to be had, but I wasn't getting plugged balls, and mud balls all over. The rough was SERIOUS. City and 2MT said they're having the superintendent's revenge tournament out there on Saturday. I'm not so sure they weren't running a sneak preview for it yesterday. We ran into some really tough pin cuts yesterday. I bet there were at least a couple even City hasn't seen before.

We played baseball, but no junk dots.

We tried giving Domes mulligans on the holes where he'd normally get strokes. If he used a mulligan, he had to play from wherever it ended up. It did not work out very well. We all sorta agreed it would work better if you had a group where everybody was within a few strokes of each other. City came up with the idea this morning that you let the mulligans be used anywhere, any time. I think that would help, but further testing would be required.

City was clanking it a bit, but still ground out a ton of pars. As a testament to how tough those pins were, even City didn't make anything outside of 5-6ft. Lots of putts that tracked well, but everything was snapping hard right at the hole.

I threw it from top gear straight into neutral after MD Cup, and haven't been practicing at all. It showed. My putting wasn't sharp, which was to be expected. I provided some fantastic comedic relief, by whiffing an 18-incher on the 16th hole. Ball striking was pretty point and shoot all day, which was nice.

City cleaned up, with me right behind him, and Domes ended up in the rear.

It was definitely a great fall afternoon on the golf course.

Movie talk friday. These two tweets just showed up back to back in my feed.

ycyxjor1uxle.jpg

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

We had one of those new "luxe" theaters open up in West Ocean City. We went by and looked at the lobby- and noticed the sign for the snuggle chairs. I ASSUME its for 2 people, so I pointed it out to the roommate that next date night we should get a snuggle chair and save some money.

Roommate says, "EWWW, I want my own chair!"

Ah, romance....

And no, I have no idea what the snuggle chair looks like.

55ncgajkqltu.jpg

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

One of the worst things about getting mulligans and playing against two 1-indexes, is that after your opponents both GIR, you hit an approach that ends up in a bunker, and then you hit your mulligan that misses the green on the other side, it's still your turn. We're all good about playing ready golf, but as soon as you get to your ball in play, it's your turn. So you rush up to dig your ball out of the sand, then rush to your mulli to hit. It was a little hectic and uncomfortable (LIFE, ANYBODY?) but it was worth the experiment.

I would not recommend trying unless your indexes are close.

I think 100% of the time it was used yesterday in an attempt to make par, which at best was going to halve a hole.

• Like 1

> @Ocgolfrick said:

> We had one of those new "luxe" theaters open up in West Ocean City. We went by and looked at the lobby- and noticed the sign for the snuggle chairs. I ASSUME its for 2 people, so I pointed it out to the roommate that next date night we should get a snuggle chair and save some money.

> Roommate says, "EWWW, I want my own chair!"

> Ah, romance....

> And no, I have no idea what the snuggle chair looks like.

>

> 55ncgajkqltu.jpg

>

I can't believe a regular seat would be $13, but a snuggle chair would be $16 for as many people as you can fit into it. Has to be $16 each, right.

There are theaters with beds now.

![](https://sociorocketnewsen.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/electric-cinema.jpg "")

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @Ocgolfrick said:

> > We had one of those new "luxe" theaters open up in West Ocean City. We went by and looked at the lobby- and noticed the sign for the snuggle chairs. I ASSUME its for 2 people, so I pointed it out to the roommate that next date night we should get a snuggle chair and save some money.

> > Roommate says, "EWWW, I want my own chair!"

> > Ah, romance....

> > And no, I have no idea what the snuggle chair looks like.

> >

> > 55ncgajkqltu.jpg

> >

>

> I can't believe a regular seat would be $13, but a snuggle chair would be $16 for as many people as you can fit into it. Has to be $16 each, right.

>

> There are theaters with beds now.

>

> ![](https://sociorocketnewsen.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/electric-cinema.jpg "")

>

When I get rich enough to afford my own movie theater, I will make it a priority to place snuggle chairs and beds in the back of the theater. You've got to be quite the exhibitionist to be in the front, doing whatever I think you should be doing in a reclined position with your date.

You're welcome

Suck it, Ceejay.

I'd think the average optional mulligan stroke savings is well below 1. Maybe even below 0.5. There are only a few types of shots where a mulligan gives you a full stroke or more. A totally duffed shot is worth 1. An OB shot is worth 2. I'm sure there's other things I'm not thinking of, but every other shot I'm thinking of would only be worth a fraction of a shot.

How much were City and FAbb chortling when you suggested this idea?

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Course, you don't really need a snuggle chair or movie bed as long as you know the ol' "Hole in the Bucket o' Popcorn" trick. Watch as Ed and Martha demonstrate how it can be fun for the whole family at their local movie nite at their assisted living facility:

zo23l7m6fi8s.gif

Suck it, Ceejay.

> @HighBoomingDraws said:

> New Kanye West album just dropped. Shaping up to be a dumpster fire. I miss the Kanye of 5-10 years ago.

I have no desire to listen to the current one.

But if I hear good things about it, I'll put it on some day.

I liked early stuff and I was big fan of Yeezus (which many people hated), but I dug it.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Instead of mulligans (where he had to play it), we could have just done "scramble ball".

Like he hit a good chip on one hole, but he can't hit another one to try to "sink" because he wouldn't want to give up the tap-in par.

So, either

1) 10 mulligans, but used anywhere.

or

2) not a mulligan, but he get to play the shot like a scramble.

We just didn't think it through.

Also, there's a perfectly acceptable system in place. . .just use the strokes.

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

You guys should have seen how THIRSTY Fabb's shiny tight pants were making Domes.

It got a little awkward.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @"C. Freeman" said:

> Modern Warfare is out.

Still working on _Untitled Goose Game_.

No pics of Shiny Pants. I should have thought of it in the moment.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Finally posting here:

There's a lot of buzz about what might happen with the RFP for the DC golf courses and who has signed on to do work, etc...

**Abstract: I do not want them to do any work that will close East Potomac Park or eliminate any of the facilities at EPP.**

What exists at EPP today: 18-hole blue course, 9-hole executive white course, 9-hole par 3 red course, 3 putting greens, 3 practice holes (they give you a shag bag of range balls and you get a 100-135ish yard par 3 with a bunker for an hour, then you go to the range and hit the balls out onto the range after your hour is over), and a 100-stall driving range (26 heated stalls).

A lot of this is personal for me, and I’m going to have to give you too much personal detail to get my ultimate point across.

Where I’m coming from: Until 2013, I played golf sporadically. After I learned how to play when I was a kid, I went entire calendar years without playing golf at all. In college my senior year we played at a 9 hole course on campus a dozen or so times. I worked at a CC my senior year of HS and played on Mondays a half dozen times. Otherwise I was teeing it up 3-4 times a year. I used a wooden driver until 2006. I used my dad’s old Hogan blades until I got my JPX 800 Pros, which I bought when I started playing a lot of golf in 2013. I always liked golf, was just focused on other things before then.

In 2013 I caught the golf bug. I was not a good golfer. At that point I was living in the city and didn’t own a car. I had a commuter bike I bought a couple years prior, so I spent $48 on a cheap Orlimar carry golf bag (searched for the overstock.com receipt), and started booking $34 early morning tee times on the blue course (18-holes) at EPP. I was able to do this because the blue course at EPP was cheap, convenient, and easy. I rode my bike there, with my clubs on my back, before the sun came up, almost every weekend for almost two years. Riding your bike on empty city streets early in the morning is something I hope all of you have done at some point. I took sweet pictures of the Washington monument sometimes. This one is time stamped August 3rd, 2014 @ 5:38am. All of this happened before I met or knew any of you.

il8l979ybw3o.png

I played at EPP 50+ times in 2013/2014. It’s where I consider myself to have learned the game of golf, and not just how to physically play, but also learning the soft skills of the game such as being able to make small talk with strangers for 4 hours. The same people were often down there. I played with a group of former Samoan rugby players a lot. Awesome guys. Another guy, Kenny, putted one-handed and always talked shit about someone else in the foursome. He works as a security guard and I still see him there 90% of the time I play on the weekends. A few of us who randomly got paired traded emails and started organizing our own games. Was on a first-name basis with the starters. I had (and still have with my wife) multiple dates on the red and white courses. Xhoop and I meet at the range after work, mostly to shoot the shit. I took lessons in 2016 from Kim Williams which helped me make the jump into a single digit handicap (I met Kim while my then-girlfriend now-wife was taking group lessons from her).

Last year I went down on my chemo days in the mornings to clear my mind before going to the hospital (sometimes xhoop accompanied). A few weeks ago my wife suggested we go down and play the white course on a nice afternoon. This has happened often since we’ve been together.

This year, my company flew me to Florida and Kentucky to entertain clients on the golf course. I fully believe those opportunities would not have presented themselves if cheap, convenient, easy golf at EPP was not accessible to me from 2013/2014 onward.

I would not know any of you if EPP did not exist as it did in 2013.

I would not play golf today in anywhere near the same capacity if EPP did not exist in 2013.

The impact EPP has had on my life is almost immeasurable. I feel more passionate about that piece of property than any home I’ve ever lived in.

It sounds dramatic, but this place is an important part of my life story.

[roll credits]

Anyway - The contract up for bid is a long-term concessions contract. The current contract seems to be renewed with the same operator every year or so, for a year or so. They started the process of obtaining bids in 2017 and still don't have anything. I have a hard time believing anything substantial will be completed on these courses in the next three years, but there’s more publicity about it now than ever.

There's particular buzz around National Links Trust and their partnership with Tom Doak to win the contract up for bid and specifically redesign EPP. Full disclosure – I donated to them because they were including a cool poster of an aerial picture of EPP from 1920-something. My wife wants it to be the 2nd piece of art we hang on the walls of our apartment once it shows up.

While my feelings on this issue are specifically targeted at any work that will be done at EPP, and the advocates who want work done at EPP, the contract will also include Rock Creek and Langston.

-Rock Creek has had 9 of its 18 holes closed for the entire 2019 season. I haven't played there since last year, but it is in painful shape. Its design is borderline unfair, and their business is not booming. They need to re-think the use of that land. Sull has a good idea (9 holes, big driving range/practice facility) that I’ve presented as my own to strangers. I did have an early morning round there where I hit a ball into the rough on #1, and a mower came out of nowhere and immediately cut the ball in half. That was funny.

-I have never played at Langston. It was built as an African-American golf course that is historically significant. I can’t appropriately provide an opinion on what needs to be done.

In its heyday, all three courses existed at EPP. 18 holes were a reversible walter travis design, who also designed the 9-hole white and 9-hole red course. Over time it somehow became what it is today.

I’m all for maintenance of the golf course. The flooding is a real problem. From what I understand, that can be solved at the boundary of the island, not the interior. Trees should (and have) come down. None of that would cause the course to close.

One thing that anyone who spends any time at EPP notices is how busy it is. I’ve seen estimates of 90,000 rounds a year (per nps.gov). People are teeing off before the sun comes up. Little kids with their parents are on the red course. There’s footgolf on the white course. Best beer prices in the city, and weirdly enough, their beverage carts were the first ones able to take credit cards that I can think of (I remember doing it in grad school, so 2010?). Cyclists are always hanging out after riding around Hains Point.

When we were down a few weeks ago, we played with a guy who had dropped his daughter off at the red course for a golf event, and he was on the white course killing time while she played.

That experience a couple of weeks ago really was the nail in the coffin for me about the proposed redesign of the EPP facilities. Tell me another public golf facility that you know of where, on a Sunday afternoon in September, an unskilled golfer can go drop his middle school-aged daughter off to play in a beginners girl’s golf event on a par 3 course, and he can simultaneously go play nine holes, and be paired up with a married couple, in which the wife, who plays golf four times a year, felt unintimidated enough to suggest that they go play golf that afternoon.

That’s what makes EPP such a special place. The opportunity for people of all ages and abilities (and race and gender, honestly) to play golf in the way they enjoy most **exists here in a way that does not exist anywhere else. Today. Full Stop.**

The proposal I am seeing wants to change that.

The proposal I am seeing wants to restore the Blue Course (and subsequently cannibalize the white/red/practice holes/driving range). Any significant work on a redesign of the golf course, just like any golf course, would require the closure of the course. This is unacceptable to me.

From the National Links Trust website:

• “…we have a great amount of respect for the game and what it can be for everyone” [emphasis theirs].

• “These golf courses all have unique and compelling histories that deserve to be celebrated, and all will benefit from expert restoration that return them to what they once epitomized: shining examples of engaging golf course architecture coupled with easy and affordable access —-- what municipal golf can and should be.”

Fine. I would argue that easy and affordable access exists today. And I would also argue that there is no better example of “what the game can be for everyone” than East Potomac Park. The public packs the tee sheet on all three courses. There’s usually a waiting list to get on the first-come first-serve practice holes on weekends. Hoop and I have had to wait to get a driving range stall in the 100-bay driving range on a weeknight. There are often multiple “Get Golf Ready” group lessons taking place at the same time. Golfers are literally being born across that property any given day.

• “The new lease represents an opportunity to restore the course to its Golden Age design and recapture what made the facility a worthy companion to the monumental core of the National Mall”

This is where I can tell that these guys just want a Tom Doak course nearby.

Please go tell the actual patrons of this facility that they are playing on a golf course that is unworthy of the land it sits on. That they should care about the Golden Age of golf. That their home course should be changed to further appeal to people who are currently avoiding the facility.

A bigger issue is the type of golfer who is actively backing this project. A big one is Sugarloaf Social Club. Their Instagram bio:

- “A select group of like-minded golfers dedicated to the classical preservation, enjoyment and creation of our game.”

“Select group”. Selling a $795 golf bag, $95 bag tags and $35 golf towels (all sold out) on their website definitely caters to their “select group”. The number of those types of items I have seen at EPP is exactly zero.

From a Sugarloaf Social Club instagram post dated 5/9/19:

-“East Potomac, a place so very near and dear to our hearts. The Blue Course, once a revisable (sp) Walter Travis icon is now the saddest of former shells one ever may see”

Get f***ed. They’re an elitist boutique golf brand disguising themselves as a voice for the people of municipal golf in DC and elsewhere. Everything they say, do, and sell shows that they’ve clearly lost touch (were they ever in touch?) with what that facility offers currently. I never played with anyone who was as disgusted as they claim to be.

I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to expand my golf outside of East Potomac in the last few years. I was a member at a couple of country clubs and bought a car for the specific purpose of driving to golf courses outside of DC. But I never would have had the ability to make these decisions if not for the existence of EPP. I look at this as the natural “life cycle” of golf at that facility. People go there to learn, often times from the very beginning, and can spend years there getting better, eventually following their interest and passion to other golf courses, while at the same time many call that course their home and will forever.

It does not need to be redesigned.

The groups and individuals who want it changed don’t play their golf there, and it is offensive to the culture that they do not even realize exists.

• Like 2

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

There are a ton of top-notch golf facilities in the area. There is only one EPP. I never play EPP anymore ( I think I played there a half dozen times and used the range regularly in the 90s when I, like Domes, was re-finding the game as a broke Hill staffer). That's my choice. EPP should exist as it is (with some improvements), but trying to turn it into a hipster paradise seems like a fool's errand.

• Like 1

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Don’t have an opinion on anything except for your hatred for SSC.

So what if they sell expensive bags, etc. there is a market for that. They have brought attention to other courses some people wouldn’t every play without them.

EPP is a fun course.. can it be this amazing course yes but as it lies it’s an enjoyable/fun track. I’m not a fan of reversible courses but that’s more to do with not wanting to get hit by a person.

They believe in the history of the course and bringing that designers vision-design back. So out of content that quote sounds bad. However..applying it to the “history” of the course it is a shell of itself

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway