2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

12 minutes ago, eagle1997 said:

seltzers are great on a hot day.  i've been enjoying drinking them this summer - alot.  fall weather means more flask drinking.

100% yes.

And after we tried the Bud Light Seltzers that they had at Costco, they taste 10x better than White Claw.

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Gsrjc, I was talking to Female after the round about your swing.  You've got a great setup, and a great takeaway practice swing. ( That little half swing, check the position Rickie Fowler thing you do.)  The problem is, you DON'T do that during your ACTUAL swing. Your first move is to suck the club way back inside , then pick it up and get it stuck behind you. From there, you struggle to get the club back to the ball.  You need to make that practice move your first move, and then it will flow from there.  I highly recommend the Tour Striker PlaneMate for that fix, as the resistance will remind you to keep the club outside your hands.  Also some 9-3 half swings, and watch when Female swings when you play together- she's got a fantastic swing with the club that doesn't move inside the way yours does.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

Erring short on #11 is the smart play with that pin.  The more you get on the green, the more the trouble on the right comes in to play.  Going at it is practically begging to have it roll off in to the junk.  I picked a club that was only getting me on the front 1/3rd of the green if I pured it.  Didn't do that, and had a chip from short of the green that's rarely going to get you worse than bogey.  Not that anyone should emulate how I played....

HiveMike3 topped one in the water then got up and down from the drop zone to save 4.  That was definitely the save of the day in our group.

3 minutes ago, SullGolf said:

Erring short on #11 is the smart play with that pin.  The more you get on the green, the more the trouble on the right comes in to play.  Going at it is practically begging to have it roll off in to the junk.  I picked a club that was only getting me on the front 1/3rd of the green if I pured it.  Didn't do that, and had a chip from short of the green that's rarely going to get you worse than bogey.  Not that anyone should emulate how I played....

HiveMike3 topped one in the water then got up and down from the drop zone to save 4.  That was definitely the save of the day in our group.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/its-ok-to-lay-up-on-par-3s

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ocgolfrick said:

Gsrjc, I was talking to Female after the round about your swing.  You've got a great setup, and a great takeaway practice swing. ( That little half swing, check the position Rickie Fowler thing you do.)  The problem is, you DON'T do that during your ACTUAL swing. Your first move is to suck the club way back inside , then pick it up and get it stuck behind you. From there, you struggle to get the club back to the ball.  You need to make that practice move your first move, and then it will flow from there.  I highly recommend the Tour Striker PlaneMate for that fix, as the resistance will remind you to keep the club outside your hands.  Also some 9-3 half swings, and watch when Female swings when you play together- she's got a fantastic swing with the club that doesn't move inside the way yours does.

Thanks Rick. I have the planemate actually and the power package but I really haven’t had any time this year to work on things. COVID really messed me up because I usually start practice swinging in February and March on the grass area in Olney but this year I didn’t do anything until May. I’m devoting myself this winter to practice as I’m building a golf net down in my basement so I can work on things. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, davechen said:

I felt bad about posting that vid, but others said I should.

Don’t feel bad. HIVE is a group that is intended to help each other. And I know I need help.  This year the swing has been a train wreck and I haven’t felt comfortable at all. 

Edited by gsrjc
Misspelled word
  • Like 2

@gsrjcNow that I watch the video swing, I would grab that PlaneMate and watch the protocols.  I used mine in the backyard with foam balls first then switched to real balls. I would start with the pitch band, but once you feel comfortable switch to the longer green band.  At the :07 mark when your swing starts, you start back ok, and then that right (trail) arm of yours just takes over- snatching the club back and behind you.  Its hard to tell if you are across the line at the top due to the angle of the video, but I would be willing to bet you are. From there, you goathump forward trying to get the club back to the ball. 

With the PlaneMate, feel that resistance - keep it resisting as long as you can.  When you get to the top, let the clubhead relax, take a short pause, then rotate back to the target.   I haven't found a training aid better than that for actually letting you feel the club being on plane.  It will let you feel that your arms are too active and your chest isn't active enough- let theychest/triangle arm setup allow you to take that club back on plane.  Once you get to the top in balance, and allow your lower body to rotate and clear, your goathumping should clear up nicely.

*It should be noted that I'm a 13.4 cap who doesn't hit the ball very far and consider my general golf swing fairly in the SUCK category, so take all advice of mine with a grain of salt.

• Like 2
Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

I haven't been using my PlateMate recently but busted it out today with OCRick's sponsorship of it.  Soon I'll be as good of a ballstriker as OCRick.

Really though, it's a good training aide.  Easy enough to do it inside.  Need to do it more.  When I used it today I had no tension on the follow through.

Edited by SullGolf
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ocgolfrick said:

@gsrjcNow that I watch the video swing, I would grab that PlaneMate and watch the protocols.  I used mine in the backyard with foam balls first then switched to real balls. I would start with the pitch band, but once you feel comfortable switch to the longer green band.  At the :07 mark when your swing starts, you start back ok, and then that right (trail) arm of yours just takes over- snatching the club back and behind you.  Its hard to tell if you are across the line at the top due to the angle of the video, but I would be willing to bet you are. From there, you goathump forward trying to get the club back to the ball. 

With the PlaneMate, feel that resistance - keep it resisting as long as you can.  When you get to the top, let the clubhead relax, take a short pause, then rotate back to the target.   I haven't found a training aid better than that for actually letting you feel the club being on plane.  It will let you feel that your arms are too active and your chest isn't active enough- let theychest/triangle arm setup allow you to take that club back on plane.  Once you get to the top in balance, and allow your lower body to rotate and clear, your goathumping should clear up nicely.

*It should be noted that I'm a 13.4 cap who doesn't hit the ball very far and consider my general golf swing fairly in the SUCK category, so take all advice of mine with a grain of salt.

Thanks dude. 

My index went on quite the improbable run in mid summer. Certainly helps before it started raining 40 days and nights and I was on the course 3-4x a week. Just cant stress how much that helps vs just beating balls on the range every day. Helps you get some short game work in, wedge work, bunker practice - you expose yourself to everything you are not getting on the range. Three tournament wins including a three match run in club championship to win my flight. Have two more matches in the next couple of weeks, couple more nights of Wednesday night league - and then 8 rounds in 4 days at Bandon.

I dont know what the floor/ceiling is on my index right now. My bunker play was a huge hole in my game but I've even been spending a little time practicing that lately as well. My driving has been good and my putting has been off the charts good.

Also since I updated my signature a month ago I've made two club changes that arent on there - and a third that got changed back. 

2092030699_ScreenShot2020-09-15at6_09_46PM.jpg.47875bca7c5126196641f2c08347c4c0.jpg

• Like 3

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

1 hour ago, dcmidnight said:

@gsrjc I will say this, your address position looks good, maybe a little more flex in the knees but a lot of good stuff to work with there.

Good speed of the swing, good tempo.

I like everything about this:

1503369581_ScreenShot2020-09-15at6_12_01PM.jpg.20a542ce93d53bdb42cadea735ef6ab7.jpg

But not so much this:

1488664913_ScreenShot2020-09-15at6_12_13PM.jpg.5d6884ed4a9c0587f3903da15ae1d2f6.jpg

Solid B+ start though, I imagine a real instructor could do good work here.

Sully, how did you solve the problem of standing straight up and do....(reads Blue Mash recap)....nope never mind, just find a good coach.

Thanks buddy. Hope all is well 

• Like 1

Biggest reasons for my recent hcp trend:

1. Driving.  Figured out a few things with the big stick.  Played multiple rounds with a single ball.  Eliminating almost all penalties off the tee was a huge piece.  The other part: hitting it longer.

2. Playing more. Exactly like DC said, you can figure out so many things about your game on the course, vs. on the range.  I've been pounding way fewer balls, but still practice short game and putting as often as I can.

3. Being able to hit ~200 yard shots with semi-reliability.  These come up 3-4x per round, whether on long par 3s or approaches on long 4s/short 5s.  Not worried about getting it close from this distance, but being able to just hit the green and have a chance at a 2 putt has saved at least a couple strokes a round for me.

4. Playing the same course repeatedly.  It exposes flaws and weaknesses if you pay close enough attention, it brings course management to the forefront as you learn the "smart" plays that widen margins of error.  It's a great way to gain a deeper understanding of your game and how to improve.

5. Make birdies.  Been making a ton of these recently - averaging 2.5+ per round - in all kinds of ways.  Getting the ball to the hole, and not worrying about the comebacker has freed up my putting.

Still have a ways to go.  I struggle with iron shots from the rough as I'm pretty much the textbook definition of a sweeper.  I'm good for a couple mental farts a round.  Need to work on short game pitch shots. The list is a lot shorter tho.

• Like 4

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Couldn't be more right about the correlation between on course time and improvement, DC. Playing 2, 3, or more days in a row things start to become a lot crisper and you can focus more on scoring. 

Things have been so busy remote working I found myself working more and playing less this summer. Now that things are plateauing and everyone is going into budget crunch mode I hope to take full advantage of the hoarded vacation time and a super green golf course. Fall is usually when my best form comes around. I've gotten SO much better with my wedges in the last month but the driver has suffered due to lack of practice time (and a range too short to hit real, full speed drives).

Pre-COVID I was sitting at 6.3, went all the way up to a 9.5 and now back down to the low 8's. The goal is to be back below 7 before handicap season closes out. 

Edited by GooseHook
  • Like 1

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

21 minutes ago, eagle1997 said:

1. Driving.  Figured out a few things with the big stick.  Played multiple rounds with a single ball.  Eliminating almost all penalties off the tee was a huge piece.  The other part: hitting it longer.

2. Playing more. Exactly like DC said, you can figure out so many things about your game on the course, vs. on the range.  I've been pounding way fewer balls, but still practice short game and putting as often as I can.

3. Being able to hit ~200 yard shots with semi-reliability.  These come up 3-4x per round, whether on long par 3s or approaches on long 4s/short 5s.  Not worried about getting it close from this distance, but being able to just hit the green and have a chance at a 2 putt has saved at least a couple strokes a round for me.

4. Playing the same course repeatedly.  It exposes flaws and weaknesses if you pay close enough attention, it brings course management to the forefront as you learn the "smart" plays that widen margins of error.  It's a great way to gain a deeper understanding of your game and how to improve.

5. Make birdies.  Been making a ton of these recently - averaging 2.5+ per round - in all kinds of ways.  Getting the ball to the hole, and not worrying about the comebacker has freed up my putting.

Still have a ways to go.  I struggle with iron shots from the rough as I'm pretty much the textbook definition of a sweeper.  I'm good for a couple mental farts a round.  Need to work on short game pitch shots. The list is a lot shorter tho.

Always felt playing the same course would be limiting but your perspective on it is probably correct

• Like 1

Almost forgot this.

6. Health.  No serious pain or alignment issues, knock on every piece of wood I have. Likely still reaping the benefits of the daily yoga routine I did with my boy during the shutdown and sporadically since. Cosmic Kids Yoga on Amazon Prime.  It's terrible, but he liked it.

Haven't done much of it recently with his online 4th grade classes.  He's been asking so we'll get a routine started again here soon.

• Like 1

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

8 hours ago, eagle1997 said:

Driving has been huge for me as well but its also just about making smarter decisions on the course. Paying attention to where the pin is on the tee box and certainly on my second shots to try and make smarter decisions - so if I am going to miss the fairway I am not in jail and if I miss the green I have a decent chance of getting it up and down. Not trying to go for shots with minimal chance of success that bring huge numbers into play.

I think one of the things that definitely helped me this Spring was just pounding away on 4-6 foot putts on my mat. Having no fear of a medium length come back putts means I am getting just about every putt to the hole, never leaving them short. I would much rather run a birdie putt 4 feet by than leave it 1 foot short.

I am still working on trying to get my fade back off the tee, I really am struggling on left to righters and definitely struggling on par 3s with far right pins. I am going to take a lesson after my trip to try and work this one piece back into my game. I dont want to change anything with my swing, just want one or two keys that I can use to get that ballflight back.

Edited by dcmidnight

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Playing more, and playing a home course are two big things that tend to drive my cap down.  The difference between playing once a week'ish, and about twice a week makes light years of difference in my game.  The latter is just not something I plan to sustain in the near future, but maybe some day.  Like eagle said, playing the same course a lot really does enlighten you to the nuances of playing it.  Knowing when an approach plays a half a club short, getting comfortable with all the tee shots, etc., can easily add up to saving tangible amounts of strokes per round.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, aiyyer said:

Always felt playing the same course would be limiting but your perspective on it is probably correct

If a home course has a decent range of tees to play from and is challenging enough, I think it helps. If the home course has slow greens, 60 yard wide fairways and no real challenges it just won't travel as well.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX