Jump to content

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • TheCityGame

    3043

  • FAbb

    2387

  • dcmidnight

    2363

  • SullGolf

    1569

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah, eff it. It's a little self indulgent, but I wrote almost 4k words while they were fresh n my mind and just decided to post it on an old wordpress blog that I created a few years ago to do some wor

Pics                         

When I signed up to play, my wife and I were debating it- I would be gone all day, I would need to stop and shop at Trader Joe's Annapolis as penance, the forecast the week of wasn't looking good.  Th

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, FAbb said:

Domes and Hoop both speak very highly of Chambers Bay.  I'll be very interested to hear what the man who has played them all has to say about it.  Safe travels!

Looking forward to it and will take some pictures this time. Don't like the five hour flight so much, but have 6 months of reading to catch up on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Kent01putt said:

Looking forward to it and will take some pictures this time. Don't like the five hour flight so much, but have 6 months of reading to catch up on.

 

I loved Chambers. The location is A+. I played when the course was in spectacular condition, super firm, greens in good shape, ball bouncing everywhere. I can't imagine not enjoying a round of golf on that course. 

  • Like 3

Srixon z785 9.5'
Srixon F85 3W 15'
Ping G Hybrid - 18'
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 4 Iron
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged - 5-GW
Titleist SM7 54' and 58' - S Grind
Bobby Grace Tour Triple Diamond

Link to post
Share on other sites

My last three rounds are in the 84-90 range. It's just sooooo bad, saved mainly by an improved short game and solid putting. 4 rounds in a row without a birdie, and the best bunker shot I've hit all year left me with a 3 footer that broke about 10 inches (yes I missed it). My iron play is getting punished hardcore around the greens. 

 

Big upside is my neck is starting to feel better and playing 81 holes Friday-Monday. 

  • Like 1

G410 LST 9.0°, Speeder Evo II 757

Flash SZ 17°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

X Forged '18  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to top the golf weather we had this weekend.

 

Played with some of the guys on Saturday at WoMan.  Greens are in great shape right now, rolling pure and fast.  I'm struggling to remember a putt anyone left short all day.  Won a big time $1.67 in skins money.  Long game wasn't the disaster it was at the Club Championship, which was a plus.  Short game is a disaster, which is frustrating but not in the same way as when the long game is suffering.  Made back to back 8s on 10 and 11, which are the easiest on the course.  On 11 I was greenside in 2, pitched over the green, duffed 3 chips after that, and 2 putted.  That's maddening from a score perspective, but could be fixed by picking up the clubs more than twice a month.

 

Brought the kid out to PB Dye yesterday to see parts of the Cap Cup.  He thinks every group that is on the course are "dad's friends".  Everyone seemed to be playing some good golf when I was watching.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Kent01putt said:

Looking forward to it and will take some pictures this time. Don't like the five hour flight so much, but have 6 months of reading to catch up on.

Nice. have fun. 

 

What are you reading? You got stuff picked out already? 

Ping G400 MAX 10.5º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, moose557 said:

Went up to Vermont to golf last wekeend with my brother, and a couple childhood buddies and i highly recommend it if anyone is looking for a different golf weekend getaway.   We rented an airbnb in Manchester which is a pretty cool little mountain town with 2 good size resorts and lots of shops and restaurants.  About a 7 hour drive from DC.  unseasonably high temps in the high 70s made it easy and we were able to comfortably eat and drink outside after each round.  

 

First round was at Okemo Valley golf club in Ludlow.  Heathland style course built in the mid 90s. 

20200925_131440.jpg.3c89accae0aa80eb9d59308dd498a77c.jpg

20200925_140538.jpg.360ff6c89709337b04f3790d01099c99.jpg20200925_142251.jpg.f3dfa4f36f4e920d9eff982960a63f70.jpg20200925_150354.jpg.88b2f0f367f6c24a640807ad86a44cd7.jpg20200925_152217.jpg.91180f3fef66e0465df288906afd095c.jpg20200925_161011.jpg.85a1352277b2a5677b8a457f61fa6b38.jpg

 

 

Second round was at The golf club at the Equinox right in downtown Manchester connected to the Equinox resort.  Designed by Walter Travis in 1927 and redone by Reese Jones.  The resort had a great back patio to grab a drink at afterward:

20200926_104555.jpg.7b2126255770d978dae08258915f9b74.jpg20200926_112031.jpg.e17db4e886517388a1482f896839e9fb.jpg20200926_112503.jpg.3a6c418d376022279f61476a796fd020.jpg20200926_133705.jpg.cd317c1ea2c6b8fbde94befdd603bb4a.jpg20200926_135101.jpg.86da17b6a72a5f2d521cc6d6781e49db.jpg20200926_141910.jpg.559b6e53cd4ec9d3baf17bf2cab43db1.jpg20200926_141957.jpg.c06f8176fba337d62379f852f5ae4e34.jpg

 

Both were such fun courses.  We usually go up to the White Mountians in New Hampshire once a year for a weekend, but will be going back to this part of Vermont as there were 3 or 4 other courses in the area we heard great things about.  

 

Nick

 

20200926_132521.jpg

Played the Okema course as my BIL lives close. I thought it was more like a Parkland course with some heathergrass. These courses are generally in very good condition due to a very short golf season. There is a ton of 9 hole courses in Vermont that are great to play. Rutland CC is also a very nice track.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Have any of you ever played with an unconventional grip for your full swing?  Something that's not Vardon or Interlock.

 

Dan Carraher has posted a few unconventional grip drills on his Instagram recently.  One he does a split grip, and one he has a student doing a left hand low grip.  Left hand low seems to create a more inside swing path for me, and I did it on a few practice swings last weekend while striking the ball relatively well.  They are only drills, but it makes me curious.  Maybe I can play the 7s stupidly with a weird grip.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ALTSean said:

How's The Gauntlet down in Fredericksburg?  It's only $50 on Friday morning so I think I'm playing there with a buddy.  

Fun course, worth the trek at least once a year.  We do the turkey shoot there every year and its a great course for a scramble, but also fun on its own, challenging with a good variety of holes.  The front kind of goes around the lake there, and its a good fall course with all the colors.  

 

Disclaimer:  I am like 90% sure, but may have gotten it mixed up because I called a few places checking on turkey shoots last week, but I believe Gauntlet said they had like 3-5 holes? with temp greens because of some damage.  Maybe just call ahead to ensure.  

  • Like 1

G400 LST    TS Speeder 7.2

SLDR MINI  TS Speeder 7.2

MP-18 Fli Hi

JPX 900 Forged

RTX-3 CB

Toulon Atlanta
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, bubbagump said:

Fun course, worth the trek at least once a year.  We do the turkey shoot there every year and its a great course for a scramble, but also fun on its own, challenging with a good variety of holes.  The front kind of goes around the lake there, and its a good fall course with all the colors.  

 

Disclaimer:  I am like 90% sure, but may have gotten it mixed up because I called a few places checking on turkey shoots last week, but I believe Gauntlet said they had like 3-5 holes? with temp greens because of some damage.  Maybe just call ahead to ensure.  


Thanks for the heads up.  I’ll give them a call tomorrow before we commit to driving down there on Friday.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SullGolf said:

Have any of you ever played with an unconventional grip for your full swing?  Something that's not Vardon or Interlock.

 

Dan Carraher has posted a few unconventional grip drills on his Instagram recently.  One he does a split grip, and one he has a student doing a left hand low grip.  Left hand low seems to create a more inside swing path for me, and I did it on a few practice swings last weekend while striking the ball relatively well.  They are only drills, but it makes me curious.  Maybe I can play the 7s stupidly with a weird grip.

It’s fun as a practice drill, but no.

 

I tried hitting short pitches with a reverse overlap putting grip and liked it when I felt like I was getting too tense.

G410 LST 9.0°, Speeder Evo II 757

Flash SZ 17°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

X Forged '18  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bubbagump said:

Fun course, worth the trek at least once a year.  We do the turkey shoot there every year and its a great course for a scramble, but also fun on its own, challenging with a good variety of holes.  The front kind of goes around the lake there, and its a good fall course with all the colors.  

 

Disclaimer:  I am like 90% sure, but may have gotten it mixed up because I called a few places checking on turkey shoots last week, but I believe Gauntlet said they had like 3-5 holes? with temp greens because of some damage.  Maybe just call ahead to ensure.  

 

I just called Gauntlet and spoke with Jeff.  He said that there are no temporary greens, no maintenance issues and that the course is "coming in great."  Hopefully that is the case after the last couple weeks of cooler weather.  $50 on a Friday morning seems solid for this area so fingers crossed for decent conditions.  I'll post some pics and a mini review after the round.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ALTSean said:

 

I just called Gauntlet and spoke with Jeff.  He said that there are no temporary greens, no maintenance issues and that the course is "coming in great."  Hopefully that is the case after the last couple weeks of cooler weather.  $50 on a Friday morning seems solid for this area so fingers crossed for decent conditions.  I'll post some pics and a mini review after the round.

 

 

I got it mixed up then, that sounds awesome!  Have fun and look forward to your recap/pics

  • Like 1

G400 LST    TS Speeder 7.2

SLDR MINI  TS Speeder 7.2

MP-18 Fli Hi

JPX 900 Forged

RTX-3 CB

Toulon Atlanta
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always enjoyed the Gauntlet.  Can be tight on some holes but still pretty fun.  Conditions are usually pretty good, especially for the price. 

  • Like 1

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King F9 Speedback One Length - 5-GW - stock KBS
Titleist Vokey SM6 54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have recommendations for a golf instructor in the area?  I'm a high handicapper looking to take lessons, but I'm having trouble finding reviews or recommendations for instructors in the area.  Oak Marr driving range is in a reasonable distance from me so I'd be curious if anyone has worked with the instructors at Everybody Golf School.  Chuck Will out of Sterling, VA also caught my eye, but I can't really find anything on him aside from what's on his site.  I'd be willing to travel out to DC or MoCo if anyone has strong recommendations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steakeyes said:

Does anyone have recommendations for a golf instructor in the area?  I'm a high handicapper looking to take lessons, but I'm having trouble finding reviews or recommendations for instructors in the area.  Oak Marr driving range is in a reasonable distance from me so I'd be curious if anyone has worked with the instructors at Everybody Golf School.  Chuck Will out of Sterling, VA also caught my eye, but I can't really find anything on him aside from what's on his site.  I'd be willing to travel out to DC or MoCo if anyone has strong recommendations.

There is a guy at Bethesda that has a good reputation. Can't remember his name... ( Brain freeze right now.)

Kirk Lucas is in VA. Warrenton area. He has a 75 acre farm for teaching. Short game and long game areas. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...