MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

My club had our last event of the season at Sparrows Point CC yesterday.  I have had several opportunities to play there in the past but this was my first round there. Although the new routing is a bit wonky I really liked the challenges of the course. UMD can play firm in summer but I don't think I have ever played a more firm course than Sparrows. Run out on the fairways and bounces off of the greens were a bit frustrating at times. Greens were pretty quick with very subtle breaks that were hard to read. Overall there were a lot of spotty conditions which was surprising to me given the weather we have experienced this year.  I look forward to playing there again soon.

7 hours ago, Terphack said:

My club had our last event of the season at Sparrows Point CC yesterday.  I have had several opportunities to play there in the past but this was my first round there. Although the new routing is a bit wonky I really liked the challenges of the course. UMD can play firm in summer but I don't think I have ever played a more firm course than Sparrows. Run out on the fairways and bounces off of the greens were a bit frustrating at times. Greens were pretty quick with very subtle breaks that were hard to read. Overall there were a lot of spotty conditions which was surprising to me given the weather we have experienced this year.  I look forward to playing there again soon.

They just had their member-member, and the greens were firmed up for the event. 

That course is it’s best when it is dry and firm, the low elevation and flat terrain don’t drain particularly well. The conditions are to be expected, lots of budgetary constraints and some irrigation headaches that are on the slow turnaround.

Playing there blind is tough, most of us are not used to greens that small and when they are not receptive you REALLY need to land the ball in the right spot.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

13 hours ago, GooseHook said:

They just had their member-member, and the greens were firmed up for the event. 

That course is it’s best when it is dry and firm, the low elevation and flat terrain don’t drain particularly well. The conditions are to be expected, lots of budgetary constraints and some irrigation headaches that are on the slow turnaround.

Playing there blind is tough, most of us are not used to greens that small and when they are not receptive you REALLY need to land the ball in the right spot.

Local knowledge would definitely help. Just about the time I thought I figured out how to play my approach shots we made the turn and found that a lot of holes on the back had false fronts that prevented any type of run up approach. A fun challenge.

13 hours ago, SullGolf said:

Did Sparrows start their renovation yet? 

No, but the course is 18 holes now and some of the inner 9 now makes up the layout. It's routed a little bit funky but still challenging. 

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Played out at Eagle's Nest with Eagle and Boogs this weekend.  I hadn't seen Boogs play in months/years, so was good to see him out there playing again.

Eagle and I played a pretty good match.  He won at 2up, and I was 2up at one point, but it was never more than that in either direction.

I was 1up going in to the par 5 15th and getting a stroke.  Eagle hit his tee shot in the water and I piped it down the middle.  Huge advantage to me.  I hit my second shot behind/under a tree pin high and made a 7.  He dropped and then made a 5.  Then that was the last stroke hole for me, so we're even with 3 to play and I'm getting no help.  Gigantic change of momentum.  Then on 16 I hit one to 15 feet and Eagle missed short.  Big advantage me, but he made a nice up and down and I 2 putted.  On 17 he hooked one left, huge advantage me.  Then I hooked one more short-left, advantage gone and he won with a bogey.  On 18 I piped a drive, advantage me.  Then knowing I needed a par or birdie went a bit aggressive and missed long.  Game over.

I hit the ball about as well as I could, but short game is a problem.  Didn't make an up and down all day.  Duffed some chips.  First putts were really poor distance that put a lot of pressure on me instead of being gimmes.  I made my share, but dropped a few hours because of it.

Eagle has a short game that is irritating in match play.  He's never out of it.  On 16 when I was on the green I expected him to hit his chip close (he didn't) and sink the putt (he did).  His cap has dropped to a level where that's probably on par with others at his level, but he had the same trait when his cap was a bit higher.  There aren't that many guys you play in a net match where you expect them to make that stuff.

Edited by SullGolf
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

I dont even know where to start a trip report but I'm sure I will at some point.

I will just say this. Just go. If you are on the fence, just go. Save, put it on a credit card, use miles for a flight - whatever you have to do. You wont spend one second there regretting it. 

But book now. As in, if you're talking about going this time next year, you should already have a list of names, be finalizing dates, rounds/tee times/schedules right now. I put down a deposit 13 months in advance, just for two people, and the Lodge was already sold out and tee times were not easy to book. Our caddie said their rounds are actually up this year and will only be increasing with Sheep Ranch coming online. 

Dont wait. Just go.

We're all booked for November 2021.  Question for you:  How was it playing 36 a day?  Were you beat, or is it easy enough going you were able to handle it?  We have 10 rounds on the books in 5 days, with one day being Bandon Trails, then Preserve.  Also, how is the dining after?  We will being finishing at or near dark, does the dining fill up?  

We're booked on the week and not over the weekend as the first weekend in November 2021 was mostly booked.  Along with the cheaper lodgings.  We're in the Chrome Lake doubles.

Edited by Ocgolfrick
Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

36 a day is doable but only with a caddie. No way around it and I think Chief would agree. I felt like I could have played no problem on the 5th day but not if I was pushing or carrying - no way. I stretched out a lot in the morning and banged back a lot of Advil. There's a sneaky amount of elevation change on all 5 courses including some pretty decent hikes. The turf there is also extremely hard so it takes a toll on your feet. I dont remember how much Fabb played but I think he'd agree.

• Like 2

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

As far as 36 a day in November - I dont know, I'd have to look at the sunlight calendar but its going to be really close. It was great having 90 minutes between rounds because we could go back to the room, change socks, relax with some food/beer etc. We talked to a couple guys who were literally sprinting from course to course and it did not sound that fun. Caddie also appreciated having time for lunch as well.

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

18 minutes ago, Ocgolfrick said:

We're all booked for November 2021.  Question for you:  How was it playing 36 a day?  Were you beat, or is it easy enough going you were able to handle it?  We have 10 rounds on the books in 5 days, with one day being Bandon Trails, then Preserve.  Also, how is the dining after?  We will being finishing at or near dark, does the dining fill up?  

We're booked on the week and not over the weekend as the first weekend in November 2021 was mostly booked.  Along with the cheaper lodgings.  We're in the Chrome Lake doubles.

More to come, but I think 36 for 5 days is doable, or would have been for me, but it is agressive.  I found day 2 the hardest day.  Got my second wind on day 3 and I walked off after day 4 and told DC I could have done another 36 if we had stayed another day.  I tracked between 28k and 34k steps (11-12 miles) per day.  A round on Preserve would certainly be a respite. 

Food will all depend on where we are with COVID.  A couple of the restaurants appeared closed.  Those that were open were very spaced out/limited table capacity.  With a group of 8, I'd make reservations either way.

Chrome Lake will be good.  Easy walk to the Lodge (Bandon Dunes Course/McKees Pub/Bunker Bar/Tufted Puffin) and Trails/Preserve (Course and Restaurant).  3 minute shuttle to PacDunes, 5 mins to Old Mac, 10 mins to Sheep Ranch. 

Edited by thechief16
  • Like 4

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

23 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

36 a day is doable but only with a caddie. No way around it and I think Chief would agree. I felt like I could have played no problem on the 5th day but not if I was pushing or carrying - no way. I stretched out a lot in the morning and banged back a lot of Advil. There's a sneaky amount of elevation change on all 5 courses including some pretty decent hikes. The turf there is also extremely hard so it takes a toll on your feet. I dont remember how much Fabb played but I think he'd agree.

Did you guys get caddies for every round?  Any recommendations for caddies to get or not get?

Yes.  We had a caddie for every round.  They give you one and you keep him, unless you want to change.  Can't give a strong enough recommendation for Bro Puckett. There are not enough words to describe how great he was.  

• Like 3

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

13 minutes ago, thechief16 said:

Yes.  We had a caddie for every round.  They give you one and you keep him, unless you want to change.  Can't give a strong enough recommendation for Bro Puckett. There are not enough words to describe how great he was.  

Bro was the best caddie I've had anywhere, not even close - he's been at Bandon since 1999, a month after they opened. I thought maybe he said he normally doesn't work this late in the season and goes fishing but I could be making that up. He made the whole trip even that much better.

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Like 2

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

47 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

As far as 36 a day in November - I dont know, I'd have to look at the sunlight calendar but its going to be really close. It was great having 90 minutes between rounds because we could go back to the room, change socks, relax with some food/beer etc. We talked to a couple guys who were literally sprinting from course to course and it did not sound that fun. Caddie also appreciated having time for lunch as well.

Assuming 4 hour rounds, we'll have about an hour turnaround between morning and afternoon rounds.  How was pace of play and is 4 hours reasonable per round?

We may have played a couple afternoon rounds a shade over 4, fog may have played a role.  If you tee off before 9, you are expected/directed to play in less than 4.  In general, the pace was good.  Lots of groups take caddies, so they keep the groups on track.  No cart girls to get groups hung up.  Turn-stands are convenient and quick.  Very few long tee-to-green walks (if you know where you are going).

• Like 2

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

8 minutes ago, thechief16 said:

We may have played a couple afternoon rounds a shade over 4, fog may have played a role.  If you tee off before 9, you are expected/directed to play in less than 4.  In general, the pace was good.  Lots of groups take caddies, so they keep the groups on track.  No cart girls to get groups hung up.  Turn-stands are convenient and quick.  Very few long tee-to-green walks (if you know where you are going).

Our tee times start between 7:30 to 7:50 each day so hopefully we're done in less than 4 each day and have at least an hour turnaround.  Fingers crossed for tee times 13 months from now. 

We were 7:30/1:40, 7:40/1:50, 7:30/1:40 and 8:10/1:50 and had plenty of time between rounds to have a beer, lunch and go back to the room to change shoes and hang out.  Don't know how much earlier it will get dark in November, but even our longer afternoon round off a 1:50 start there was an hour of daylight left.  Trust me, they know what they are doing when they are booking you and they want you to be on time for your second tee time and want to make sure you get your full second 18 in.

• Like 3

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

8 minutes ago, thechief16 said:

We were 7:30/1:40, 7:40/1:50, 7:30/1:40 and 8:10/1:50 and had plenty of time between rounds to have a beer, lunch and go back to the room to change shoes and hang out.  Don't know how much earlier it will get dark in November, but even our longer afternoon round off a 1:50 start there was an hour of daylight left.  Trust me, they know what they are doing when they are booking you and they want you to be on time for your second tee time and want to make sure you get your full second 18 in.

Sunset in mid November is around 5 pm with last light around 5:30 pm so our 2nd tee times go off between 12:30 to 1:20 all week.  We'll share a lot of sunsets together. 🤣

I’m not a great point of comparison. I wasn’t drinking, or staying up late when I was there. So I was getting a legit night of recuperative sleep every night. We had a caddie. I was ready to crash every night, but I didn’t find myself feeling physically having a hard time at all. To compare, I went to pinehurst one fall. After two nights of staying up late drinking, I was a piece of hot garbage trying to play that third day. Totally wiped. I suspect your group will be more like the latter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FAbb said:

I’m not a great point of comparison. I wasn’t drinking, or staying up late when I was there. So I was getting a legit night of recuperative sleep every night. We had a caddie. I was ready to crash every night, but I didn’t find myself feeling physically having a hard time at all. To compare, I went to pinehurst one fall. After two nights of staying up late drinking, I was a piece of hot garbage trying to play that third day. Totally wiped. I suspect your group will be more like the latter. 

I dont know how people play that much golf if they are staying up late. Even with a caddie, those courses are good walks. We saw people that were teeing off when we were finishing our first round - around 11 or so - they were only playing 18. But honestly I was completely blown away with the elevation changes. I dont know why I thought it but I definitely thought of Bandon as a pretty flat piece of property, I was very wrong.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*