MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

11 minutes ago, thechief16 said:

Ah, eff it. It's a little self indulgent, but I wrote almost 4k words while they were fresh n my mind and just decided to post it on an old wordpress blog that I created a few years ago to do some work testing. Lots of friends and family wanted a "full report", so it just seemed easier. 

Bandon Dunes Trip Report

This is fantastic!  Thank you!

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.
  • Replies 24.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• FAbb

• dcmidnight

• SullGolf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah, eff it. It's a little self indulgent, but I wrote almost 4k words while they were fresh n my mind and just decided to post it on an old wordpress blog that I created a few years ago to do some wor

Pics                         

When I signed up to play, my wife and I were debating it- I would be gone all day, I would need to stop and shop at Trader Joe's Annapolis as penance, the forecast the week of wasn't looking good.  Th

Posted Images

1 hour ago, thechief16 said:

Ah, eff it. It's a little self indulgent, but I wrote almost 4k words while they were fresh n my mind and just decided to post it on an old wordpress blog that I created a few years ago to do some work testing. Lots of friends and family wanted a "full report", so it just seemed easier. 

Bandon Dunes Trip Report

Great, great recap. The pictures look amazing. This recap moved Bandon much further up my bucket list.

Thanks

Also shoutout to SKB for more good customer service. I've had that case on I dont know, probably ~12 trips in the last 8 years or so. Case is made so that each part can be easily replaced if it breaks. Case came back from FedEx with the handle a little bent and missing a screw, probably could have found one at Home Depot and fixed it but no questions asked - they shipped out a new handle/screws for no cost. Was easy to fit in the little Kia SUV we had too.

SIM Max 12* - HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5 / SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s 
SIM 2i UDI Diamana Thump / 5i Steelfiber 95s
P790 6,7i / P770 8i-GW Steelfiber 95s
TM Milled Grind 54* / 58*
Cleveland RTX 62*
PXG Blackjack 35" / TM TP5 Pix

1 minute ago, dcmidnight said:

Also shoutout to SKB for more good customer service. I've had that case on I dont know, probably ~12 trips in the last 8 years or so. Case is made so that each part can be easily replaced if it breaks. Case came back from FedEx with the handle a little bent and missing a screw, probably could have found one at Home Depot and fixed it but no questions asked - they shipped out a new handle/screws for no cost. Was easy to fit in the little Kia SUV we had too.

On that note, if you don't mind me asking, how much was the rental Kia for the time you were there?  We'll investigate flying into Eugene- but with 10 of us possibly arriving on different flights a transportation company bus to Bandon may be too hard to coordinate.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

I knew I forgot something, a couple things, and to work off DC's:

Shoes:  No.  I agree.  I would not take my Trues next time for that exact reason -- not enough support, even with my orthotics.  I was definitely better off in my Nikes, but did wear my Trues for one round each day.

Rankings:  Pretty much agree with DC.  Sheep Ranch was a clear #1 and Old Mac a clear #5, but that may have been influenced by the terrible weather and I would certainly want to play it again, just to get another taste.

Sheep Ranch

Pac Dunes (fun back 9 with only 2 par 4s)

Ban Dunes

Ban Trails (Feels too low)

Old Mac

10 Rounds?

Sheep Ranch 5

Old Mac 1

Trails 1

Pac Dunes 1

Ban Dunes 2

Final Merch tally: 2 hats, 1 winter hat, 2 headcovers, 3 quarter zips, one vest, 1 long sleeve t-shirt hoody and a towel.

Biggest disappointment:  They don't do branded tees.  All the tees are plain wood-colored wood. I still get a charge out of reaching into my pocket and pulling out an Erin Hills/2/4 tee from previous trips.  They did give branded wooden ballmarkers at each course, but they were meh.

• Like 3

M5
Epic Flash SZ
Baffler
Apex Pro Smoke '19
SM7 52
Cobra King 58*
Spider Tour CS

27 minutes ago, Ocgolfrick said:

On that note, if you don't mind me asking, how much was the rental Kia for the time you were there?  We'll investigate flying into Eugene- but with 10 of us possibly arriving on different flights a transportation company bus to Bandon may be too hard to coordinate.

PMed

Edited by thechief16
  • Like 1

M5
Epic Flash SZ
Baffler
Apex Pro Smoke '19
SM7 52
Cobra King 58*
Spider Tour CS

I lied, I bought 3 headcovers, as I was unpacking my clubs I forgot about the putter one...lol.

• Like 4

Cleveland RTX 62*

3 hours ago, thechief16 said:

Bandon Dunes Trip Report

Thanks for the great write up and tips!

@dcmidnight @thechief16 How were the greens? Just asking b/c the @NoLayingUp guys where there in the summer and just did a pod on the courses. They had some complaints about the greens on at least one of the courses.  Feel free to comment on conditions overall. 

Edited by XHoop24

Srixon z785 9.5'
Srixon F85 3W 15'
Ping G Hybrid - 18'
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 4 Iron
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged - 5-GW
Titleist SM7 54' and 58' - S Grind
Bobby Grace Tour Triple Diamond

12 minutes ago, XHoop24 said:

@dcmidnight @thechief16 How were the greens? Just asking b/c the @NoLayingUp guys where there in the summer and just did a pod on the courses. They had some complaints about the greens on at least one of the courses.  Feel free to comment on conditions overall. 

I didn't think about the conditions except for the fairways and rough around Sheep Ranch, which can use some more growing in. I thought the greens were all good.

M5
Epic Flash SZ
Baffler
Apex Pro Smoke '19
SM7 52
Cobra King 58*
Spider Tour CS

Solid A on the conditions from me. One of the greens had just been deep tined the day before and you could see it but the ball rolled great. We were having beers on the patio at the lodge the afternoon they were doing the putting green, the machine they use has a heavy roller on the back after its tined so it really smooths them out.

• Like 1

Cleveland RTX 62*

3 hours ago, mizuno player said:

What holes on the "18" no longer used? Always liked that course 

Holes 1-4 of the previous 18 hole course are out of rotation, and most of the Inner 9 (which was the  best 9 on the property) is now meadow. 

G410 LST 9.0°, Speeder Evo II 757

Flash SZ 17°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

13 hours ago, thechief16 said:

Bandon Dunes Trip Report

Read it twice and stunning  photos. Thanks!

14 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

I really had no issues with the green conditions tbh although if you told me the NLU guys were complaining about it, that would not surprise me in the least.

There is a golf artist I follow on IG that happened to be there the same days we were. I sent him a DM asking about some of his stuff and naturally his first response is "wait, are you friends with misplacedtexan"

I LOL'd.

Ha ha.. I told him I had a buddy there 🤣.  

Dave is such a good dude! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Mavrik SZ *9.0 (-1) w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Allendale
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Fall golf is so flipping beautiful around here.  I played yesterday afternoon, and it was total A+ weather out there.

I'm not completely out of the woods, but I feel 100% confident that I'm rounding out of the slump.  I hit a lot of good shots, and the wild two way misses I was having for a bit are basically gone.  I had a bunch of missed up and downs, because I just wasn't adapted to the conditions until late in the round.  My last round was on severely sloped greens, that were rock hard, and fast.  Chipping/pitching was a very delicate exercise.  Yesterday, the greens were very soft, and moderately paced, so I ended up leaving a bunch short.

I don't think it's a stretch to say this winter is going to be more depressing than the average winter, so I'm going to savor getting out on days like yesterday for as long as they'll stick around.

I listened to the end of the first episode where NLU talked about a few of the Bandon courses, @XHoop24.  I won't be listening to the second episode.  I found their insistence on trying to be super technical about discussing the courses incredibly tedious - especially Soly.  He really lost me when he started dogging Old Mac because the template holes weren't more like the ones on the courses that inspired them.  They didn't set out to build replicas.  I also found it odd how intent they seemed on cutting down Pacific Dunes.  Neil's on-camera personality schtick didn't translate particularly well to the podcast, but he was spot-on defending Pacific Dunes.  Sure, it can be difficult, but it gives you opportunities.  And it's the kind of place that you're going to walk around dragging your jaw on the ground for 4 hours.  I really feel like they're veering out of their lane too much.  If I wanted a difficult to listen to dissertation on the architecture of the courses, I'd tune into the Fried Egg podcast.  Randy gave the most refreshing takes, by far.

• Like 1

I don't listen to the NLU pod but what you described is pretty much in line with what I would expect from them. Pac Dunes is one of the most stunning courses I've ever played, I dont get the hate for it. Is it as wide open as Bandon or Sheep Ranch? No. But its absolutely wide open in the right spots and a lot of times Chief and I agreed its way more wide open from the tee than it might initially look. I actually thought it was almost the perfect blend of challenging but at the same time fair/getable.

Cleveland RTX 62*

Great write-ups guys. I wouldn't have substituted a round for messing around on the Punchbowl, but IMO, it's not to be missed. It's the funnest, most memorable putts I've ever hit. It's NOTHING like Thistle Dhu. Thistle Dhu is closer to the putting green at Gunpowder than it is to Punchbowl. 

I'm totally intrigued by Sheeps Ranch now. When I went, it was a weird thing. . .like you could ask to go, and you just played from a pin to wherever you wanted. Now I regret not doing it, but I can't wait to see it. 

DC -- I'm totally with you on wedges vis a vis hitting putter around the green. I play a 60/04 and I love hitting it off tight/firm lies. There's no way I'm not bringing wedge(s). 

I'm actually contemplating bringing a Sunday bag and 7 clubs for next year and carrying the whole time. Contemplating. I'm really totally over trying to make a score on golf trips, and with the options you have into greens out there, I don't mind having to "work" a shot or two. 

Great pics. 

Mt St Helens in person is ridiculous. You saw it from above but when you're driving, it just looks like an awesome mountain with its top blown off. The Cascades are a beautiful mountain range. I lived in Oregon for a couple years and it's funny because everyone has a story about where they were when MSH blew its top and they all knew the name of the crazy guy who lived there and wouldn't leave, and died. 

I'm jazzed for next year. Your trip reports ramped it up even more. 

Thanks for the write ups and photos. 

• Like 3

Ping G400 MAX 10.5º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

21 minutes ago, TheCityGame said:

Great write-ups guys. I wouldn't have substituted a round for messing around on the Punchbowl, but IMO, it's not to be missed. It's the funnest, most memorable putts I've ever hit. It's NOTHING like Thistle Dhu. Thistle Dhu is closer to the putting green at Gunpowder than it is to Punchbowl. 

I'm totally intrigued by Sheeps Ranch now. When I went, it was a weird thing. . .like you could ask to go, and you just played from a pin to wherever you wanted. Now I regret not doing it, but I can't wait to see it. 

DC -- I'm totally with you on wedges vis a vis hitting putter around the green. I play a 60/04 and I love hitting it off tight/firm lies. There's no way I'm not bringing wedge(s). 

I'm actually contemplating bringing a Sunday bag and 7 clubs for next year and carrying the whole time. Contemplating. I'm really totally over trying to make a score on golf trips, and with the options you have into greens out there, I don't mind having to "work" a shot or two. 

Great pics. 

Mt St Helens in person is ridiculous. You saw it from above but when you're driving, it just looks like an awesome mountain with its top blown off. The Cascades are a beautiful mountain range. I lived in Oregon for a couple years and it's funny because everyone has a story about where they were when MSH blew its top and they all knew the name of the crazy guy who lived there and wouldn't leave, and died. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_R._Truman

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, TheCityGame said:

Great pics. 

I think you could definitely walk/carry with a Sunday bag. And I dont really know how best to explain it or quantify if its walkable or not walkable for 36 a day since everyone is different. I'll just say this, I'd say I'm in above average shape for someone in our age bracket. I did 5 minutes of yoga every morning to stretch out. And 36 a day with a caddie x 4 days still made me sore at night. I know for me, I could not have carried or pushed and been the same. At the end of each day I felt like I could have played 9 more if there was sunlight left.

Dunno what Chief or Fabb would say, I think Fabb had a caddie? There are just some "sneaky" elevation changes. Small tee box walks that are steep, small transfers that are steep.

Someone said that the minute you leave Bandon you are already thinking about going back. Thats so true, even as the days go by I'm already itching to go again.

I'll get my favorite pics up tonight, Chief was much better in organizing himself than I am.

Cleveland RTX 62*

I think it would be easier carrying 7 in a Sunday bag, than taking a full set and using one of their pushies (pullies?).  There some spots out there that would be downright treacherous to try and navigate with a pushie.

I'll preface this by saying that carrying 6-7 clubs in an ultralight with no extras is an exception.  In general though, I'm increasingly averse to carrying as time goes on.  I carried last week when I played with Goose at his course.  I pack lighter than most, in an ultralight bag, and dropped down to 13 clubs.  I was fine during the round.  But the after the fact fatigue was noticeable, compared to pushing a full rig.  And I'm in the best shape i've been in a long time.