MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

I no longer have the Swing Jacket Fabbo. Sad.  Would make for an amazing IG vid at the upcoming 7s tourney.

Skilz Gold Ball thingy is my only current training aid.  Last used during the shutdown.  I might have an arm band device somewhere, but I never even took it out of the plastic.  Bought an online video on driving, watched 5 minutes and then never finished.  Had a putter swingpath one, sold it.

I've got a terrible track record with training aids, but every time I see one I think maybe I should at least try it out.

• Like 1

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

• Replies 24.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• FAbb

• dcmidnight

• SullGolf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah, eff it. It's a little self indulgent, but I wrote almost 4k words while they were fresh n my mind and just decided to post it on an old wordpress blog that I created a few years ago to do some wor

Pics                         

When I signed up to play, my wife and I were debating it- I would be gone all day, I would need to stop and shop at Trader Joe's Annapolis as penance, the forecast the week of wasn't looking good.  Th

Posted Images

I've got the SKLZ gold ball thingy as well.  It seems like owning one of those, or the orange whip is prerequisite for posting in this thread lol.  I bust it out once in a blue moon when I'm going through a prolonged stretch without hitting balls or playing, just to wake the golf muscles up.

For putting, I own a Visio Mi Putting Template, and a laser line.  I think I've got a Putt-Out from before I bought my Big Moss green.  I might have a putting mirror somewhere, but I tried and absolutely hated it, so that's just something I never got into.  I haven't practiced my putting at home basically at all this year.  My Big Moss has been rolled up in a closet.

I do not like putting mirrors either. I already hover the putter a bit so the mirror just throws me off and has me almost topping putts.

SIM Max 12* - HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5 / SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s 
SIM 2i UDI Diamana Thump / 5i Steelfiber 95s
P790 6,7i / P770 8i-GW Steelfiber 95s
TM Milled Grind 54* / 58*
Cleveland RTX 62*
PXG Blackjack 35" / TM TP5 Pix

Who's got a driving iron in rotation these days?

I've dabbled with a few over the years, and liked them, but ultimately didn't hang onto any of them because of their limited utility.  They were great off the tee, but not good for hitting into greens on long 3s and 4s.  Based on my distance, and the course-tee combos I played most, I needed that slot for hitting into greens a decent bit, and almost never for off the tee.  Now I'm playing a course where I could legit easily hit a driving iron off the tee 6 times a round.  It's a course where it would be 100% worth it to throw some other club out, so I could carry the driving iron.

I think I want a 3-iron, but maybe I'd consider a 2-iron.  I just think a driving iron 3 would go far enough, and be a little more consistent in terms of strike and launch.

I'm starting to browse around, and look through reviews a bit.  The Titleist U5x0 series look good, and seem to have positive reviews.  I like that the Srixon U85 has Recoil 95 stock, since I play the Recoil 110 in my irons.  I'd give something like the GAPR Lo a look for sure, if I could get a good deal on one. 

• Like 2

I love the SIM UDI 2i so far. Better for me than the 790 UDI and looks great at address.

Definitely should be able to get a good deal on the gapr lo though if thats what you are looking for, has a little more heft to it at address.

• Like 1

Cleveland RTX 62*

I tried a GAPR Mid for a little bit.  I liked it, even though it's definitely a bulkier head.  I didn't like the light shaft that came in it so much though.  Even if I was able to get a good deal on a GAPR Lo, I'd end up re-shafting it, which would negate any savings versus buying something like the Titleist or Srixon where I'd be able to use the stock shaft offering.

• Like 1

Yeah the SIM worked for me bc I think the Thump was the same weight as the Steelfibers that I have in my other irons - or very close. 

I had tried one of the GAPRs when they came out and I think the stock shaft was closer to 80g

• Like 1

Cleveland RTX 62*

I just looked the SIM UDI up. The stock shaft offering looks like it could work, and I like that they offer a 3-iron, whereas the old UDI was only available in a 2-iron.  I just feel like I'm not going to hit the 2-iron further than the 3-iron with any regularity, and that I'll have a tighter shot pattern with the 3-iron.

Much as I don't love the idea of making an optional trip into a store at this point in time, I might have to just make a quick run through 2nd Swing, and see what I can get my hands on. Their return policy is so good. It's no big deal to walk out with something you've never hit, so you can do the testing on-course, which I prefer anyways.

• Like 1

Funny that Fabb is posting about a DI.  I started playing a 4i again when I got the AP3s last year.  Tried it with skepticism and loved it pretty much at first hit.  I think it was the shaft change that really helped... The AMT Black S are a good fit with both weight and stiffness for my deteriorating swing speed.  Made me think I should try a 3i or DI with the right shaft.  I've got a 3hyb that is good for 200 yard approaches, but that's pretty much all carry... No options to hit a mid-flight runner.

• Like 2

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I continue to have good luck with the Titleist T-MB 3 iron.  Probably 3 generations old by this point, but was a lifesaver at Bandon when I was struggling with the D. I didn't match up well with the Srixon and havent tried a UDI in a few years.

M5
Epic Flash SZ
Baffler
Apex Pro Smoke '19
SM7 52
Cobra King 58*
Spider Tour CS

6 minutes ago, FAbb said:

@XHoop24 is clearly interested in DI Talk Monday :).  Tell us what you're in the market for, Hoop!

I enjoy the conversation...but I'm happy with my JPX 900 Hot Metal 4 Iron. Its 21 degrees and is a good tee club for me. I've heard good things about a lot of the clubs you've mentioned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Srixon z785 9.5'
Srixon F85 3W 15'
Ping G Hybrid - 18'
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 4 Iron
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged - 5-GW
Titleist SM7 54' and 58' - S Grind
Bobby Grace Tour Triple Diamond

Gen2 (2011) Fli-Hi is still in my bag. There are just so many options now, and even the new Ping Crossover looks nice. With the new Srixon line out the U85 is probably going to drop bigtime in price though if you want something new. 

• Like 1

G410 LST 9.0°, Speeder Evo II 757

Flash SZ 17°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

Eagle - AMT Black descending weight technology is really cool

Redneck DI- Super game improvement  4 iron head with whatever shaft 

Callaway Mavrik SZ *9.0 (-1) w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Allendale
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I added 0.5 to my index yesterday, so I'm trending nicely for the 7s.  I played legitimately all-around bad at the club championship, but my last 3 rounds have been pretty good ballstriking with absolutely terrible scoring.  Rounds in the 90s that could easily be 10 strokes lower with an even passable short game.  I'm probably hitting it like a 10 and scoring like a 30.

I rolled out of the car at WM yesterday and ate a breakfast burrito thinking I had time to do that during the frost delay.  But then they put us off the back so I went off without any warm up.  I 4 putted the 10th for a double (maybe only 3 putts, since my first went off the green).  Took 5 to get down from 10 yards off the green on 13, making double.  Chipped on and 3 putted for double on 15.  Duffed a chip on 16 and made double.   So I was 12 over through 7 holes while actually hitting the ball just fine.  Turned with a 49 that could have been 42.

The wind was up, the greens were fast, and the pins were diabolical.  On 1 it was center but right on a ridge breaking away all different directions.  2 had the front slope pin which is always tough, but the strong wind was blowing down that slope as well which made it twice as hard.  On 3 the pin was so far left that you couldn't see it from the tee.  On 5 the pin was back center/left (usually when it's back it's on the right), and I was putting from the center of the green with NO chance of leaving the ball within 10 feet of the hole.  On 11 the pin was WAY back left in a spot I've never seen it.  17 it was on the back left shelf.  It was collectively the hardest set of pins I've ever seen there in dozens of rounds over the last 7-8 years.

• Like 3

Sort of golf-related:

Back pain and neck stiffness in the mornings is killing my drive to do ANYTHING athletic. I think the biggest culprit has been our mattress, which is nearing 8 years old and has never been firm enough for me. Anyone bought a bed recently?

G410 LST 9.0°, Speeder Evo II 757

Flash SZ 17°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

9 minutes ago, GooseHook said:

Sort of golf-related:

Back pain and neck stiffness in the mornings is killing my drive to do ANYTHING athletic. I think the biggest culprit has been our mattress, which is nearing 8 years old and has never been firm enough for me. Anyone bought a bed recently?

I recently got a Tuft and Needle Mint Mattress, which the wife and I LOVE.  My quality of sleep has been wonderful on it. But as far as firmness, its a no-go. I would avoid any Memory Foam or the like (Casper, Purple, etc.) and stick with a coil and spring if you need firm.  

• Thanks 1
Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.
1 hour ago, Ocgolfrick said:

I recently got a Tuft and Needle Mint Mattress, which the wife and I LOVE.  My quality of sleep has been wonderful on it. But as far as firmness, its a no-go. I would avoid any Memory Foam or the like (Casper, Purple, etc.) and stick with a coil and spring if you need firm.  

I guess it depends, I have serious back issues and we bought a Tempurpedic a few years ago, though we did get the FIrm one. Its been great. I cant speak to the bed-in-a-box ones but Tempurpedic has been great. 

Cleveland RTX 62*