MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

8 hours ago, BIG STU said:

WOW that is interesting. In the Myrtle Beach area there is a price war going on. Courses like World Tour have really discounted rates. Some friends of mine were down a month ago and did the walk on price of $45. The cheapest I ever saw it was $65 and I was a member of Prime Times at the time. Part of it is because the US Canadian border is locked down from what I have been told and that is killing some of the upper tier courses here

The DC metro region is a pretty affluent area.  I would guess the people that play golf around here have been generally less affected in terms of loss of income than other areas.  And with golf being one of the few "safe" recreational activities right now, people are flocking to the game.  People that played a couple times a year became regular golfers this year.  People that never played became regular golfers this year.

We're also not a destination, like Myrtle.  I can see where places that rely on tourism would be hurting.  Especially Myrtle, having so many courses.  It's not like Bandon, where there's no competition.  All those courses in Myrtle are competing for what I imagine is many fewer visitors.

• Like 3
  • Replies 24.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• FAbb

• dcmidnight

• SullGolf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With great regret, I am posting today to inform you all that our friend GMen has passed away. His death was unexpected. I have no details and am awaiting info on funeral services and how best to send

Ah, eff it. It's a little self indulgent, but I wrote almost 4k words while they were fresh n my mind and just decided to post it on an old wordpress blog that I created a few years ago to do some wor

Pics                         

Posted Images

Yeah the DMV has something like 11 of the Top 20 wealthiest counties in the country in this area. You cant compare it to any other golfing market in the country IMO.

I dont think there's any comparison - it would be like...I dont know, comparing the housing prices in Myrtle to the housing prices in Alexandria.

Edited by dcmidnight

SIM Max 12* - Ventus Black Velocore 6x / SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s 
SIM 2i UDI Diamana Thump / 5i Steelfiber 95s
P790 6,7i / P770 8i-GW Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM8 Raw 54* / 58* / 62*
PXG Blackjack 35" / TM TP5 Pix

A little more for you, @XHoop24.

The 785s were ok.  They look great.  They feel more solid when struck out of the center, compared to my i210.  The feeling of the strike with the i210 is really dampened when you hit it out of the center.  In the limited sample I had, I don't think there was a real appreciable difference in performance compared to what I'm using.  That's not a great surprise, since they're built with essentially the same pieces.  I did like the turf interaction of them.  I feel like they get into the turf a bit more than my i210, but that's not really gonna do anything for me.  I might take them to the course again, or I might just unload them.  I got into them for a great deal, so I should be able to sell the irons, shafts I pulled from them, and get my total investment back out without a problem.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, eagle1997 said:

Top to Bottom (added funny from phone)

#5 green

Japanese Redwood that our course is known for

#10 approach

#9 looking back from the path above the green

#16 green with #13 behind it (double green)

#17 green

The light was decent, slight cloud cover kept me from seeing the really interesting shadows I saw a couple days prior.

IMG_20201105_162002.jpg.cbd8130103f074b2c8c576d9432869b7.jpg

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20201105162414580_COVER.jpg.b30a9cae23ca0950f965fe6099d2b818.jpgIMG_20201105_162601.jpg.efeddad7b4ca53f8c97723277feab0ef.jpgIMG_20201105_163021.jpg.c769ea731f1f8488d55e0ae5be72f55b.jpgIMG_20201105_162126.jpg.dab2fc07aa54341e6ae3ff8a8262ea24.jpgIMG_20201105_162516.jpg.245ea112c07cb6c96247abc37cfc70c5.jpg

This course looks awfully familiar to me.  Where is it? 

Driver: Titleist TS2 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5*

Utility: Titleist U500 19* UST Proforce V2

Irons:  T300 4-5 iron, T200 6-PW PX Catalyst 100 w/ MCC Align

Wedges: Vokeys SM8 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Ball: ProV1

51 minutes ago, FAbb said:

MOAR.

I ordered a 5 duzz value pack of Snell MTB Black yesterday.  I've seen so many favorable comparisons to the regular Pro V1 over the years, which is my ball of choice.  Even with the buy 3 get 1 deal Titleist runs annually in the spring, the MTB is cheaper, so why not give it a run.

They are a good ball.  The only thing I don't like is the durability 

Driver: Titleist TS2 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5*

Utility: Titleist U500 19* UST Proforce V2

Irons:  T300 4-5 iron, T200 6-PW PX Catalyst 100 w/ MCC Align

Wedges: Vokeys SM8 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Ball: ProV1

@FAbb the MTB Black is so close to the pro V1 it's crazy, I doubt you'd be able to see much of a difference. The 785s are beautiful but I learned quickly that for whatever reason, they do not spin as much as other irons loft for loft. The set I owned last year was crazy inconsistent out of rough, despite how good they looked and sounded I had to get rid of them.

70 degrees and blue skies- just when I'm clearing my afternoon for some range time, I get an email that our range is closed for reconstruction. Guess I'll have to go up to Pine Ridge 😞

"In Transit, Arriving Late"

Flash SZ 17°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

Played with the titleist left dash Prov1x today. Firmer ball than the Prov1x and the new tour speed ball. I wasn’t hitting driver that well today so couldn’t get an idea in distance but irons seemed to go perhaps a few yards farther. Didn’t seem to have any loss of spin with the short irons. Off the putter felt good to me but I have a very soft putter face so any ball is soft. I’ll probably give it a try again when the temperatures are warmer. For now will go back to the tour speed for the cooler temperatures. Gamer ball remains Prov1x so far. Might see what Trackman shows one day if I need like going to CC. 

I feel like I'm getting a hang of the GAPR, as I play more rounds with it.  It's pretty much doing exactly what I want it to do in terms of the distance it goes, the lower traj it provides compared to the hybrid, and the severity of the big misses.

I didn't get the MTB in time to give them a run on the course this weekend.  I did throw a few in the bag before taking the kids to the course yesterday afternoon to whack a few range balls and putts.  The feel off the putter slots somewhere between the TP5, and the Pro V1.

I played the i210s on Saturday, since I didn't want to be out there playing for something that mattered with completely untested clubs.  They're just so comfortable for me.  The Z 785 are gonna sit on the sideline for now.  I've got them listed on the BST to see if I can get out of them for a reasonable price.  If they don't move, I may test a bit more, before just dumping them cheap.

Puppet that finish is fire. I have a similar on my Tour Austin but it has one small mark on the topline now and my OCD is in hyperdrive about it. I think I went to scoop a ball with it and the ball rolled over the topline, making a little mark. 

Weather this weekend was so, so good. Got out for a little practice on Saturday but I hope some were able to get out for real golf. Heading out to Vegas tomorrow for 4 rounds, low to mid 60s on tap, 0% humidity. 

• Like 1

I dont know, I'd have to go back to our monthly super's reports but I'm pretty sure we set rainfall records between Mid August and early October.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Puppet that finish is fire. I have a similar on my Tour Austin but it has one small mark on the topline now and my OCD is in hyperdrive about it. I think I went to scoop a ball with it and the ball rolled over the topline, making a little mark. 

Weather this weekend was so, so good. Got out for a little practice on Saturday but I hope some were able to get out for real golf. Heading out to Vegas tomorrow for 4 rounds, low to mid 60s on tap, 0% humidity. 

The finish is beautiful but seems pretty brittle. I bought the putter "like new" and while essentially flawless, you can see very slight wear marks from light contact. If I have time, I'll take some close up pictures and include big green arrows so you can determine if those a production flaws or something else.... 

• Like 1

Cobra King Ltd, Speeder TS 6.2
Callaway BBA 816, Accra CS1 80
Adams A12, Diamana Thump
TM TP MC/MB, KBS Tour 
Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*, DG S400
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M

Testing continues.

The GAPR is really making a case to solidify its place in the bag.  I played yesterday at another course that required it on a number of tee shots.  Other than the time my elbow popped in my backswing and I hit a mega-chunk, I was very pleased.  I was even able to use it on my favorite shot of the entire day.  I had 230 couple to the pin for my second on a par 5.  The entry to the green was narrow, with hazards on both sides, and the wind was BLOWING.  I hit a tight, flighted draw, that came off perfectly and made it onto the front section of the green.  While I generally think of the hybrid as being the better club for hitting approach shots, I could not have pulled that shot off with the hybrid.  The ability to keep the GAPR on a mid or lower flight when it's windy is a real benefit.

Yesterday was my first round with the Snell MTB Black.  I was VERY impressed with how the ball played.  The feel is definitely right between the Pro V1 and TP5, on all clubs.  That's a good spot for me.  The TP5 is a tad softer than I prefer, but the MTB Black is firm enough compared to the TP5 that I enjoy it.  Distance is hard to gauge from a single round, in unfamiliar conditions.  I certainly don't feel like I lost anything.  It seemed to hold it's line extremely well in the wind.  It was blowing a good bit, and I couldn't believe how well the ball flew in it.  The trajectory was what I'm used to seeing.  Coming into firm, fast greens, the ball had all the stopping power I could hope for.  I didn't get a terribly large sample size of short game play, so I can't really make any assessments there.  The durability was very good.  I'll need a much larger sample of rounds with it to fully evaluate whether I switch, but It was a damn good first impression.

• Like 2