MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

With all this talk of fittings, an Club Champion, I think it's time for @baddomes to bring back the avatar picture of his glorious snap hook from his fitting there.

Iron fittings are a decent starting point, but they're not perfect.  We play golf on the course, with full sets of irons, from all different distances and lies.  There's fitting that us regular folks have access to, that will come anywhere close to evaluating things in that full range of conditions.

The same goes for drivers too, honestly.  There are countless stories of people getting great numbers on launch monitor, but not being able to take a club and make a score with it.

• Like 2
  • Replies 24.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• FAbb

• dcmidnight

• SullGolf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With great regret, I am posting today to inform you all that our friend GMen has passed away. His death was unexpected. I have no details and am awaiting info on funeral services and how best to send

Field Report: 2nd Swing Wilmington DE     After Christmas, my son uttered the words that every 90's shooter golfer longs to hear out of his progeny, in the hopes that they can live vica

Ah, eff it. It's a little self indulgent, but I wrote almost 4k words while they were fresh n my mind and just decided to post it on an old wordpress blog that I created a few years ago to do some wor

Posted Images

This is why - insert laugh track here - I always buy a few different things that are *near* what I got fit into and then use them on the course or during my own Trackman time at Pinecrest. When I got fit into a 12* driver I bought a few different ones on BST/ebay and then used them outside with my ball on my course. I admit this course of action is not always financially viable but IMO its the best way to follow up an indoor fitting. I took away a couple of good keys from it - namely moving to a 12* driver tuned down one notch - and then tried a few different ones.

Iron fittings are tough and I cant remember ever having a really good one. Just hitting a bunch of 6 irons sucks because chances are the topline and weight of the short irons and wedges is completely different from set to set. Its another reason I like to try them out first. I've mostly stuck to the Steelfiber i95 for the last 5 or 6 years though and just swapped the heads. I hit a few of the TM 790s last week in Vegas and really liked them so I may take a look at sets at Second Swing whenever they open their bays back up for general use.

• Like 2

SIM Max 12* - Ventus Black Velocore 6x / SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s 
SIM 2i UDI Diamana Thump / 5i Steelfiber 95s
P790 6,7i / P770 8i-GW Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM8 Raw 54* / 58* / 62*
PXG Blackjack 35" / TM TP5 Pix

What do you mean by "couldn't really keep up with everything going on over there."

Specifically "everything going on over there" 

Specifically, what would be going on at CC that's not happening with 2nd Swing's premier fitting options?  

He hinted at not liking CC because of their pushy sales environment, and enjoying 2nd Swing way more.

12 hours ago, bandondunes54 said:

Jim at 2nd Swing worked at CC for just several months.  Got let go because he couldn't really keep up with everything going on over there.  I think he'll do much better at 2nd Swing.  Not everyone at CC is a great fitter, but I still recommend Nick Gunawan at the Rockville location for fittings.  Several people in the Hive have been fitted by Nick.  He's the best builder in the area too.  I still haven't been to Nighthawk.  I have heard several guys here say great things but I have also heard about one bad fitting. 

What do you mean by "couldn't really keep up with everything going on over there."

Specifically, what would be going on at CC that's not happening with 2nd Swing's premier fitting options?  

He hinted at not liking CC because of their pushy sales environment, and enjoying 2nd Swing way more.

Static fittings  are what they are. 

On paper.. if you fit this in a 7 iron (DC IS SO OLD) than technically you will for the rest of the set.  Now that fits majority of people but not always the end all. 

Two years ago I have entire set and carried 8 bags. I can count on one hand how many people hit all of the irons. So let us not forget the WRX world is 5 % that dive deep.  However, I agree we need more than a 7 iron to truly show something .

Also, trackman numbers is a computer using an algorithm. Focus on swing speed, ball speed, spin, launch, and carry. Roll out for driver is a farce and a good fitter will be honest.  Now roll out on the irons I would pay attention to. However, don't forget it is a combo of all the above that show the numbers. 

Another thought..look at most range balls-- it is guessing what I "real' ball will do. Especially if they are flight resistance balls and the computer will completely overcorrect.  

Settings for a trackman to live by boys...  Medium or premium ball  the most important and normalization selected if the weather is not the best. But this is one that I would hit a few balls and tell them to switch to it to see what it does to the number. 

Lastly, folders. Make sure the fitter saves shots by the club/shaft. Changing it will allow it to compile a breakdown of every combo hit. If they don't its a guessing game and a lazy fitter. 

Signed, 

A guy that knows something about fittings

• Like 4

Callaway Mavrik SZ *9.0 (-1) w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Allendale
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

What's the problem? We just need someone to walk around the course with us with a launch monitor to log every shot, for a round or three. Then we'll get some real on course data based on shots that matter. 

• Like 1

Cobra King Ltd, Speeder TS 6.2
Callaway BBA 816, Accra CS1 80
Adams A12, Diamana Thump
TM TP MC/MB, KBS Tour 
Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*, DG S400
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M

8 minutes ago, Puppetmaster said:

What's the problem? We just need someone to walk around the course with us with a launch monitor to log every shot, for a round or three. Then we'll get some real on course data based on shots that matter. 

I just want a hot instagram influencer to follow me around in yoga pants.

• Like 4

The last thing I want is somebody following me around with a launch monitor to log a bunch of shots on the course.  Fittings are a good starting point, but at some point we just have to go out and play golf, and figure out what works.  One of the best thing about 2nd Swings model is the ability to go out and actually play clubs to evaluate, with the option to come back and try something else if they don't work.  On course validation is king.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Puppetmaster said:

You know what I want right now? Softserve. Just a good old chocolate and vanilla twist on a cone. 

Please carry on. 

I finally tried the Popeye's chicken sandwich.  It was good, but did not change my life.  I think I like the Chic-fil-A chicken sandwich better.  #foodwrx 

• Like 1

I think it's a tough call, definitely CFA and even Wendy's have solid chicken sandwiches, but the key with Popeye's to me has been the freshness, it always comes out piping hot so you get the crisp on the outside with the almost-burn your mouth heat that makes that first bite so good. I feel like CFA sandwiches don't consistently come out that fresh. 

• Like 2

Adams A12, Diamana Thump
TM TP MC/MB, KBS Tour 

#SmokedFOODWRX

Speaking of food coming out piping hot - I am making the move to a pellet smoker for the winter months. After a full season with the Weber charcoal smoker - there are some decent plusses to it. But also a couple of huge minuses on the longer cooks. So, picked up a medium sized Traeger to add to the deck. Couple of the guys who I watch the most on YouTube do a ton of cooking on theirs and to me its worth it for the convenience alone.  Not necessarily selling the Weber smoker but man it will be nice to not have to check the thing every 10-15 minutes over a 12+ hour cook. Weber has really good taste but just a ton of temp swings too. Very good, inexpensive intro smoker though.

Bought another pork butt to break it in next week and then doing the turkey on it as well.

• Like 2

I've heard great things about the Traeger and will likely get one if and when we get around to having a patio put in. The research I've done basically tells me that the ease and convenience to those is worth it. I'm not a hardcore griller/smoker, just enjoy the everyday good eats, so I'm not putting as much weight into the criticism of pellet smokers from the purist crowd. 

Definitely post pics of that smoked turkey, that must be so good. I'm frying mine again. And while the fryer is out, I'm sure other foods might find their way in there... 

Edited by Puppetmaster

Adams A12, Diamana Thump
TM TP MC/MB, KBS Tour 

On 11/17/2020 at 10:57 AM, golfman1023 said:

I’ve been fit by Nick and CC and I would recommend him as well. As for Jim, he was let go for reasons that we don’t need to specifically get into except that when you’re at a small shop like CC you have to pretty work on all aspects like returning phone calls, doing the transactions for sales, clean up the store, put back equipment, ready the bays for the next person, sending out Trackman info to customers after the fitting, etc. At 2nd swing there are more staff so all a fitter needs to do is fit. Nothing else. For me I’m comfortable with Nick so I don’t go anywhere else. Going to see him in the winter to tweak some things and test out the new KHT autoflex shaft that people have been talking about too. I got one coming to try out and Nick will be building up the shaft so that I can try it in any driver head and see what the big deal is. If it sucks, I’ll just sell it on eBay. 

• Like 3
On 11/17/2020 at 5:33 PM, Puppetmaster said:

I'm not a hardcore griller/smoker, just enjoy the everyday good eats, so I'm not putting as much weight into the criticism of pellet smokers from the purist crowd. 

Same, same. The Weber is good but takes a lot of startup and cleanup time along with having to be checked frequently. I am glad I got it though to at least see if smoking was something I would want to keep doing. Easy enough to sell on Facebook Marketplace whenever I get around to it.

• Like 1

DC - if you are planning to use the Traeger in the winter look into getting their insulation blanket. They are very sensitive to the external temperature, in the winter you almost have to double your cook time without the blanket. I have owned a Traeger for 7 years and use it sparingly in the winter, I switch over to cast iron skillet cooking on my propane Weber mostly. Also if you are getting unusually high temperatures (400+) that is a sign you need to clean out the smoke box. Take the grates and flat metal pan out of the grill, you will see a square box with a cylinder cut out, use a shop vac to suck all the ash out of there then you are good to go. Don't try to use a leaf blower... You will only make that mistake once. Usually I have to do this after every 4-5 uses.

Edited by bayrat88
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, gsrjc said:

I’ve been fit by Nick and CC and I would recommend him as well. As for Jim, he was let go for reasons that we don’t need to specifically get into except that when you’re at a small shop like CC you have to pretty work on all aspects like returning phone calls, doing the transactions for sales, clean up the store, put back equipment, ready the bays for the next person, sending out Trackman info to customers after the fitting, etc. At 2nd swing there are more staff so all a fitter needs to do is fit. Nothing else. For me I’m comfortable with Nick so I don’t go anywhere else. Going to see him in the winter to tweak some things and test out the new KHT autoflex shaft that people have been talking about too. I got one coming to try out and Nick will be building up the shaft so that I can try it in any driver head and see what the big deal is. If it sucks, I’ll just sell it on eBay. 

Definitely would like to hear about your experience with the autoflex.  I think the only reason why it wont fit me is 1.) its f*cking expensive 2.)its suited more for smoother tempos?

My tempo is about as smooth as this:

Elaine Seinfeld Dance GIFs | Tenor

I've realized while getting fitted is indeed helpful, I'm too high of a handicap and strike the clubface all over the face to benefit.  I kinda know what shaft I "should" be in with irons and driver, so pretty much I just buy what I like and what looks good to my eye, such as : blades, and a 200cc driver.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Boogs2 said:

Definitely would like to hear about your experience with the autoflex.  I think the only reason why it wont fit me is 1.) its f*cking expensive 2.)its suited more for smoother tempos?

My tempo is about as smooth as this:

Elaine Seinfeld Dance GIFs | Tenor

I've realized while getting fitted is indeed helpful, I'm too high of a handicap and strike the clubface all over the face to benefit.  I kinda know what shaft I "should" be in with irons and driver, so pretty much I just buy what I like and what looks good to my eye, such as : blades, and a 200cc driver.

Will do buddy. I’ll do some videos as I’m really interested in seeing how much it is like swinging a fishing pole. 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, bayrat88 said:

DC - if you are planning to use the Traeger in the winter look into getting their insulation blanket. They are very sensitive to the external temperature, in the winter you almost have to double your cook time without the blanket. I have owned a Traeger for 7 years and use it sparingly in the winter, I switch over to cast iron skillet cooking on my propane Weber mostly. Also if you are getting unusually high temperatures (400+) that is a sign you need to clean out the smoke box. Take the grates and flat metal pan out of the grill, you will see a square box with a cylinder cut out, use a shop vac to suck all the ash out of there then you are good to go. Don't try to use a leaf blower... You will only make that mistake once. Usually I have to do this after every 4-5 uses.

Thanks Bay, I've been reading about that after digging pretty deep into the Traeger reddits. I dont really grill that much when its below 30* (where they recommend the blanket) or down into the single digits like some of those guys. Also the new Ironwoods have double walled insulation so hopefully that helps out a bit too. Definitely something to keep an eye on but to me its easier/more efficient than dealing with the Weber charcoal when it starts getting cold.

42 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Thanks Bay, I've been reading about that after digging pretty deep into the Traeger reddits. I dont really grill that much when its below 30* (where they recommend the blanket) or down into the single digits like some of those guys. Also the new Ironwoods have double walled insulation so hopefully that helps out a bit too. Definitely something to keep an eye on but to me its easier/more efficient than dealing with the Weber charcoal when it starts getting cold.

Temperature isn't as big of a problem as wind which really knocks temps down. I bought a welders blanket from Harbor Freight that I will fold in half and drape over my smoker when it is cold and breezy. Works pretty well.

7 hours ago, gsrjc said:

Ah, okay. I am only concerned about the quality of my fitting, so seems okay on that front. 

• Like 1