2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

I knew nothing about charcoal grills or smokers before buying my Kamado Joe Classic 2. I did research on it but had never used anything other than propane. It’s been fun diving into the smoking game. My buddy has the Traeger Ironwood 885 I believe and he absolutely loves it. I had looked into the pellet grills but ultimately decided I wanted to be more involved in the whole process. They do make tools for the KJ where you can set it and forget about it, but I’ve had a lot of fun learning how to control the temperature. It’s been a really fun hobby. I still have a propane grill I use when I want something quick. I don’t always want to have a 30-45 minute set up process just to cook on the grill.  Who cares what you use, just make delicious food, please. 

04D96EC4-ECED-4BB8-8945-A2E041E97770.jpeg

• Like 4

@ceejay81 those words are empty until you smoke a bucket of Popeye's.... or deep fry some smoked chicken.... 

• Haha 1

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Yeah I looked at the 885 but it was just above what we wanted to spend - and also probably bigger than we needed, so we went with the 650. IIRC it was about the same price as the Kimado Joes or Green Eggs.

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

17 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Yeah I looked at the 885 but it was just above what we wanted to spend - and also probably bigger than we needed, so we went with the 650. IIRC it was about the same price as the Kimado Joes or Green Eggs.

The 650 was what I was looking at, too. 

I'm only cooking for myself since the wife is a herbivore.  I just want to smoke pork butt's and ribs every day, but it's way too much food for just myself.  I give a lot away to my neighborhood friends whenever I use the smoker.

Any good club builders around the area?  Need to get some irons reshafted. I used to go to the old guy in Glenndale golf course but they’re closed now. 

Testing: Sim2 8*, Rogue ST TD 9* 

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Callaway Paradym 4-AW Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 56 Denim Copper TI S400

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

4 minutes ago, Boogs2 said:

Any good club builders around the area?  Need to get some irons reshafted. I used to go to the old guy in Glenndale golf course but they’re closed now. 

I have some buddies who like The Golf Dr. in D.C.:

https://www.golfdoctordc.com/

I'm not sure what he charges to reshaft irons, but he's probably more reasonable than Club Champion, but still not as cheap as shops outside of the beltway.

51 minutes ago, ALTSean said:

I have some buddies who like The Golf Dr. in D.C.:

https://www.golfdoctordc.com/

I'm not sure what he charges to reshaft irons, but he's probably more reasonable than Club Champion, but still not as cheap as shops outside of the beltway.

Note I’ve seen Nick had to correct issues with builds from the Golf Doctor.  Just adding what I’ve heard and seen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boogs2 said:

All this time and you never built your own shop? That's the dream, man. Get to it!

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

On 11/20/2020 at 11:16 AM, ceejay81 said:

The 650 was what I was looking at, too. 

I'm only cooking for myself since the wife is a herbivore.  I just want to smoke pork butt's and ribs every day, but it's way too much food for just myself.  I give a lot away to my neighborhood friends whenever I use the smoker.

650 seems to be perfect size for us. When it got here yesterday, I tipped the guys a little extra to haul it into my living room. Had no idea how heavy the thing was going to be. Super easy to setup and run though, got an initial seasoning burn done and it was very easy to clean up after. Now we're throwing on some boneless spare ribs for dinner. Think this will be a very good purchase.

Plan is to cook the turkey on there Wednesday too with a good oyster stuffing. Order from Rappahannock Oysters coming on Tuesday.

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

On 11/20/2020 at 7:42 PM, mizuno player said:

The guys at Golf Galaxy in Columbia, or Jessup, do good work and reasonable. 

Concur with this. Pleasantly surprised with GG in Columbia’s work. I’ve had them do a few things over the last few weeks (loft/lie adjustment, new grips on 13 clubs, cut down a driver) and all was good. Reasonably priced too. 

1 hour ago, bubbagump said:

Those who have a push cart, do you find a cart or stand bag works best or does it really not matter? 

Only problem I have had was the Hoofer or similar bag where the bottom isn't as stiff. The bag will bend and hit the wheel of the ClicGear 3.5+ I have.  But an easy fix was a small square of foam to lift it off.  I think the new ClicGear solves this problem.  Stand bags can tend to lean, especially when you are going up side-hill slopes, as the legs slide along the hard plastic they are resting on.  But it's a simple twist to get it back straight.  I haven't felt the need for a cart bag.  Then again, I half push half carry.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 7:49 PM, ALTSean said:

Every business makes mistakes now and then, but The Golf Dr. has a 5 Star rating on Yelp:

https://yelp.to/kbpGp0k5zbb

Best putter fitting in the area.  You can actually check out my review of him on Yelp.  But he did ghost me after our fitting.  Not sure why.  His setup is great for woods, irons, and wedges.  His selection and builds are good, just not the best.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bandondunes54 said:

Only problem I have had was the Hoofer or similar bag where the bottom isn't as stiff. The bag will bend and hit the wheel of the ClicGear 3.5+ I have.  But an easy fix was a small square of foam to lift it off.  I think the new ClicGear solves this problem.  Stand bags can tend to lean, especially when you are going up side-hill slopes, as the legs slide along the hard plastic they are resting on.  But it's a simple twist to get it back straight.  I haven't felt the need for a cart bag.  Then again, I half push half carry.

I have a stand bag with a ClicGear and I turn the stand bag (Sun Mountain 4.5) sideways and it works well.  I should break down and buy the ClicGear foamy thing, but turning the bag 90* works and I don't even notice it.  I don't think I'll ever buy a cart only bag again because it's just not as versatile as a stand bag.  I push 90% of the time, but the Sun Mountain 4.5 is light enough to walk 9 or 18 from time to time when I take all the extra junk out of it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bandondunes54 said:

Best putter fitting in the area.  You can actually check out my review of him on Yelp.  But he did ghost me after our fitting.  Not sure why.  His setup is great for woods, irons, and wedges.  His selection and builds are good, just not the best.

I did a putter fitting with The Golf Dr. based on @bandondunes54's recommendation and really like him and the fitting.  I have two other buddies who got fit for woods and irons from him and both really enjoyed the process and his expertise.  He strikes me as mostly a one man show and he's been super busy due to COVID.  After my fitting, he told me it would take a couple weeks for the putter to come in and after about 3 weeks I called him.  He apologized for the delay and said he would mail it to me even though he's only like 20 minutes from my house.  I thought that was solid customer service and saved me a trip into D.C.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ALTSean said:

I have a stand bag with a ClicGear and I turn the stand bag (Sun Mountain 4.5) sideways and it works well.  I should break down and buy the ClicGear foamy thing, but turning the bag 90* works and I don't even notice it.  I don't think I'll ever buy a cart only bag again because it's just not as versatile as a stand bag.  I push 90% of the time, but the Sun Mountain 4.5 is light enough to walk 9 or 18 from time to time when I take all the extra junk out of it.

Thats the same bag I have.  Sounds like it works fine on a cart for you? 

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

Just now, bubbagump said:

Thats the same bag I have.  Sounds like it works fine on a cart for you? 

Yes, works fine on a ClicGear push cart and works fine on a motorized golf cart.  I also turn it 90* when I strap it to the back of a golf cart and put the strap between the bag and the legs.  A dedicated cart bag would work better in a push cart or a golf cart, but you are not going to walk with a cart bag and it's also a pain to take a cart bag to the range especially these days when most ranges have taken down their bag holders.  Sun Mountain bags are solid and I've developed a mild addiction because I also have a Sun Mountain 2.5 which is super light for walking and I just got a Sun Mountain H2NO 14 way top bag for #bandon2021.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ALTSean said:

Yes, works fine on a ClicGear push cart and works fine on a motorized golf cart.  I also turn it 90* when I strap it to the back of a golf cart and put the strap between the bag and the legs.  A dedicated cart bag would work better in a push cart or a golf cart, but you are not going to walk with a cart bag and it's also a pain to take a cart bag to the range especially these days when most ranges have taken down their bag holders.  Sun Mountain bags are solid and I've developed a mild addiction because I also have a Sun Mountain 2.5 which is super light for walking and I just got a Sun Mountain H2NO 14 way top bag for #bandon2021.  

I hear you, thanks man.  I like the Sun Mountain 4.5 I have, and usually split most my rounds about even carrying and in a cart.  Just joined a club and lots of the walkers have push carts, and I started to look into them and was just wondering what worked best should I go down that road.   

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

1 minute ago, bubbagump said:

I hear you, thanks man.  I like the Sun Mountain 4.5 I have, and usually split most my rounds about even carrying and in a cart.  Just joined a club and lots of the walkers have push carts, and I started to look into them and was just wondering what worked best should I go down that road.   

Push carts are hot right now due to COVID, but Maple Hill has a couple in stock.  I have a buddy who likes his Nitron Push Cart:

https://maplehillgolf.com/bagboy-nitron-push-cart/

12 hours ago, bubbagump said:

Those who have a push cart, do you find a cart or stand bag works best or does it really not matter? 

Not all stand bags work well, but it doesn't really matter.

I used a Sun Mountain 3.5 Elite for a long time.  I still own the bag.  It sits totally fine on my Clicgear.  It never really twisted, or had any issues with accessing stuff because of being strapped to the cart.

I've been primarily using a Callaway Hyperlite Zero since I won it at an event last year.  It's like 4lbs lighter, and fits better in my trunk.  In every other way, it's worse, including the way it fits on the cart.  I've got the bottom elastic strap on the clic tightened all the way to the max, but it's still a weird fit, because the bottom of the bag isn't rigid around the edges.  The bag twists to the side constantly, and the top strap comes undone throughout the round.

At the end of the day, it just doesn't matter.  My bag has never fallen off the cart.  It does it's job of holding my clubs and other stuff.  The better fit in my trunk, and weight savings make me keep using it anyways.  I do occasionally carry as well, which it's much better for, being so light.  Even pushing, I notice a difference using it compared to my other stand bag.  Every little bit of weight makes a difference.

7 hours ago, tungstenplug said:

I'm overall 2 for 2 with Golf Doctor, after going 1 for 4 at a place I won't mention

Why not?  Maybe you can help somebody avoid the same bad experience.

I will chime in to add my monthly-ish promotion of the Bag Boy Quad. I was a happy ClicGear user for years with a cart bag, but when I switched to carry bags I had all sorts of fit-up issues with the bottom. BBQ has a simpler bottom design and because of the way it holds the bag, no strap is needed either.

Be safe this week, all. My Thanksgiving just shrunk due to my BIL contracting COVID- it's OK to hang out at home if you're unsure. 

• Like 2

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

@bubbagump I have an Ogio Shredder with some Caddytek 4-wheeler and while the base does get a little squirrelly on more undulating terrain (like some of those side hill redirects I did due to unfamiliarity at Worthington) it’s fine the other 99% of the time. Doesn’t fit flush into the cradles but it’s secured by bungy cords top and bottom so easy enough to tighten up. 

I do own a cart bag but only used it once to travel because boy it is bizarre to me. The dividers are all weird and the should strap is on the wrong side for carrying. I know that’s the point but, it’s not for me. I just use it as a storage bag in my room now. 

Toulon Palm Beach

FYI I have this but paid $160 + tax for it two months ago on Amazon vs $250 that RBG is showing. Whaaaat... 

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/bags-carts/push-carts/caddytek-golf-explorer-v8-superlite-deluxe-push-cart/

Edit - guess they are sold out because Amazon has it for $260 now 

Edited by Puppetmaster

Toulon Palm Beach

I have a ClicGear B3 bag that fits perfectly on the Clic.  I don't think they make them any longer, but you could consider it equivalent to a cart bag for this purpose.  I stopped using it and instead went back to a stand bag.  My Titleist stand bag has a semi-rigid bottom so it sits okay on the Clic, but not as good as the actual Clicgear bag or a cart bag with a completely rigid bottom.

Using a cart bag is just a PITA when you aren't using the ClicGear or riding.  When I went to the range I wanted a stand bag.  When I traveled and didn't have the ClicGear, I wanted a stand bag.  There are even certain courses where I'd rather carry than use the ClicGear.

The flexibility of a stand bag far outweighs it not being a perfect fit on the ClicGear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GooseHook said:

Be safe this week, all. My Thanksgiving just shrunk due to my BIL contracting COVID- it's OK to hang out at home if you're unsure. 

We're doing a solo Thanksgiving for the first time in our lives.  Outside of the numbers being up, I'm also starting to see cases in people I know and who were relatively careful.  I didn't know a single person with it until September or October, but suddenly this month there are several.

After Thanksgiving we're going in to total lockdown mode so that we have a chance to do Christmas with family.  No golf, no trips to the store, no daycare, nothing.  Going to be a miserable few weeks, but hopefully it pays off.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1