Jump to content

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence


Recommended Posts

I knew nothing about charcoal grills or smokers before buying my Kamado Joe Classic 2. I did research on it but had never used anything other than propane. It’s been fun diving into the smoking game. My buddy has the Traeger Ironwood 885 I believe and he absolutely loves it. I had looked into the pellet grills but ultimately decided I wanted to be more involved in the whole process. They do make tools for the KJ where you can set it and forget about it, but I’ve had a lot of fun learning how to control the temperature. It’s been a really fun hobby. I still have a propane grill I use when I want something quick. I don’t always want to have a 30-45 minute set up process just to cook on the grill.  Who cares what you use, just make delicious food, please. 
 

 

04D96EC4-ECED-4BB8-8945-A2E041E97770.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 24.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • TheCityGame

    3069

  • FAbb

    2447

  • dcmidnight

    2434

  • SullGolf

    1594

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With great regret, I am posting today to inform you all that our friend GMen has passed away. His death was unexpected. I have no details and am awaiting info on funeral services and how best to send

Field Report: 2nd Swing Wilmington DE     After Christmas, my son uttered the words that every 90's shooter golfer longs to hear out of his progeny, in the hopes that they can live vica

Ah, eff it. It's a little self indulgent, but I wrote almost 4k words while they were fresh n my mind and just decided to post it on an old wordpress blog that I created a few years ago to do some wor

Posted Images

Yeah I looked at the 885 but it was just above what we wanted to spend - and also probably bigger than we needed, so we went with the 650. IIRC it was about the same price as the Kimado Joes or Green Eggs.

  • Like 1

SIM Max 12* - Ventus Black Velocore 6x / SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s 
SIM 2i UDI Diamana Thump / 5i Steelfiber 95s
P790 6,7i / P770 8i-GW Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM8 Raw 54* / 58* / 62*
PXG Blackjack 35" / TM TP5 Pix

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Yeah I looked at the 885 but it was just above what we wanted to spend - and also probably bigger than we needed, so we went with the 650. IIRC it was about the same price as the Kimado Joes or Green Eggs.

 

The 650 was what I was looking at, too. 

 

I'm only cooking for myself since the wife is a herbivore.  I just want to smoke pork butt's and ribs every day, but it's way too much food for just myself.  I give a lot away to my neighborhood friends whenever I use the smoker.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Boogs2 said:

Any good club builders around the area?  Need to get some irons reshafted. I used to go to the old guy in Glenndale golf course but they’re closed now. 

 

I have some buddies who like The Golf Dr. in D.C.:

 

https://www.golfdoctordc.com/

 

I'm not sure what he charges to reshaft irons, but he's probably more reasonable than Club Champion, but still not as cheap as shops outside of the beltway.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, ALTSean said:

 

I have some buddies who like The Golf Dr. in D.C.:

 

https://www.golfdoctordc.com/

 

I'm not sure what he charges to reshaft irons, but he's probably more reasonable than Club Champion, but still not as cheap as shops outside of the beltway.

 

 

Note I’ve seen Nick had to correct issues with builds from the Golf Doctor.  Just adding what I’ve heard and seen. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Boogs2 said:

Any good club builders around the area?  Need to get some irons reshafted. I used to go to the old guy in Glenndale golf course but they’re closed now. 

 

All this time and you never built your own shop? That's the dream, man. Get to it!

"In Transit, Arriving Late"

Flash SZ 17°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2020 at 11:16 AM, ceejay81 said:

 

The 650 was what I was looking at, too. 

 

I'm only cooking for myself since the wife is a herbivore.  I just want to smoke pork butt's and ribs every day, but it's way too much food for just myself.  I give a lot away to my neighborhood friends whenever I use the smoker.

 

650 seems to be perfect size for us. When it got here yesterday, I tipped the guys a little extra to haul it into my living room. Had no idea how heavy the thing was going to be. Super easy to setup and run though, got an initial seasoning burn done and it was very easy to clean up after. Now we're throwing on some boneless spare ribs for dinner. Think this will be a very good purchase.

 

Plan is to cook the turkey on there Wednesday too with a good oyster stuffing. Order from Rappahannock Oysters coming on Tuesday.

  • Like 1

SIM Max 12* - Ventus Black Velocore 6x / SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s 
SIM 2i UDI Diamana Thump / 5i Steelfiber 95s
P790 6,7i / P770 8i-GW Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM8 Raw 54* / 58* / 62*
PXG Blackjack 35" / TM TP5 Pix

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2020 at 7:42 PM, mizuno player said:

The guys at Golf Galaxy in Columbia, or Jessup, do good work and reasonable. 


Concur with this. Pleasantly surprised with GG in Columbia’s work. I’ve had them do a few things over the last few weeks (loft/lie adjustment, new grips on 13 clubs, cut down a driver) and all was good. Reasonably priced too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bubbagump said:

Those who have a push cart, do you find a cart or stand bag works best or does it really not matter? 

 

Only problem I have had was the Hoofer or similar bag where the bottom isn't as stiff. The bag will bend and hit the wheel of the ClicGear 3.5+ I have.  But an easy fix was a small square of foam to lift it off.  I think the new ClicGear solves this problem.  Stand bags can tend to lean, especially when you are going up side-hill slopes, as the legs slide along the hard plastic they are resting on.  But it's a simple twist to get it back straight.  I haven't felt the need for a cart bag.  Then again, I half push half carry.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2020 at 7:49 PM, ALTSean said:


Every business makes mistakes now and then, but The Golf Dr. has a 5 Star rating on Yelp:

 

https://yelp.to/kbpGp0k5zbb

 

 

 

Best putter fitting in the area.  You can actually check out my review of him on Yelp.  But he did ghost me after our fitting.  Not sure why.  His setup is great for woods, irons, and wedges.  His selection and builds are good, just not the best.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bandondunes54 said:

 

Only problem I have had was the Hoofer or similar bag where the bottom isn't as stiff. The bag will bend and hit the wheel of the ClicGear 3.5+ I have.  But an easy fix was a small square of foam to lift it off.  I think the new ClicGear solves this problem.  Stand bags can tend to lean, especially when you are going up side-hill slopes, as the legs slide along the hard plastic they are resting on.  But it's a simple twist to get it back straight.  I haven't felt the need for a cart bag.  Then again, I half push half carry.

 

I have a stand bag with a ClicGear and I turn the stand bag (Sun Mountain 4.5) sideways and it works well.  I should break down and buy the ClicGear foamy thing, but turning the bag 90* works and I don't even notice it.  I don't think I'll ever buy a cart only bag again because it's just not as versatile as a stand bag.  I push 90% of the time, but the Sun Mountain 4.5 is light enough to walk 9 or 18 from time to time when I take all the extra junk out of it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bandondunes54 said:

 

Best putter fitting in the area.  You can actually check out my review of him on Yelp.  But he did ghost me after our fitting.  Not sure why.  His setup is great for woods, irons, and wedges.  His selection and builds are good, just not the best.

 

I did a putter fitting with The Golf Dr. based on @bandondunes54's recommendation and really like him and the fitting.  I have two other buddies who got fit for woods and irons from him and both really enjoyed the process and his expertise.  He strikes me as mostly a one man show and he's been super busy due to COVID.  After my fitting, he told me it would take a couple weeks for the putter to come in and after about 3 weeks I called him.  He apologized for the delay and said he would mail it to me even though he's only like 20 minutes from my house.  I thought that was solid customer service and saved me a trip into D.C.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ALTSean said:

 

I have a stand bag with a ClicGear and I turn the stand bag (Sun Mountain 4.5) sideways and it works well.  I should break down and buy the ClicGear foamy thing, but turning the bag 90* works and I don't even notice it.  I don't think I'll ever buy a cart only bag again because it's just not as versatile as a stand bag.  I push 90% of the time, but the Sun Mountain 4.5 is light enough to walk 9 or 18 from time to time when I take all the extra junk out of it.

 

 

Thats the same bag I have.  Sounds like it works fine on a cart for you? 

G400 LST    TS Speeder 7.2

SLDR MINI  TS Speeder 7.2

MP-18 Fli Hi

JPX 900 Forged

RTX-3 CB

Toulon Atlanta
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bubbagump said:

 

Thats the same bag I have.  Sounds like it works fine on a cart for you? 

 

Yes, works fine on a ClicGear push cart and works fine on a motorized golf cart.  I also turn it 90* when I strap it to the back of a golf cart and put the strap between the bag and the legs.  A dedicated cart bag would work better in a push cart or a golf cart, but you are not going to walk with a cart bag and it's also a pain to take a cart bag to the range especially these days when most ranges have taken down their bag holders.  Sun Mountain bags are solid and I've developed a mild addiction because I also have a Sun Mountain 2.5 which is super light for walking and I just got a Sun Mountain H2NO 14 way top bag for #bandon2021.  

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ALTSean said:

 

Yes, works fine on a ClicGear push cart and works fine on a motorized golf cart.  I also turn it 90* when I strap it to the back of a golf cart and put the strap between the bag and the legs.  A dedicated cart bag would work better in a push cart or a golf cart, but you are not going to walk with a cart bag and it's also a pain to take a cart bag to the range especially these days when most ranges have taken down their bag holders.  Sun Mountain bags are solid and I've developed a mild addiction because I also have a Sun Mountain 2.5 which is super light for walking and I just got a Sun Mountain H2NO 14 way top bag for #bandon2021.  

 

 

 

I hear you, thanks man.  I like the Sun Mountain 4.5 I have, and usually split most my rounds about even carrying and in a cart.  Just joined a club and lots of the walkers have push carts, and I started to look into them and was just wondering what worked best should I go down that road.   

G400 LST    TS Speeder 7.2

SLDR MINI  TS Speeder 7.2

MP-18 Fli Hi

JPX 900 Forged

RTX-3 CB

Toulon Atlanta
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bubbagump said:

 

I hear you, thanks man.  I like the Sun Mountain 4.5 I have, and usually split most my rounds about even carrying and in a cart.  Just joined a club and lots of the walkers have push carts, and I started to look into them and was just wondering what worked best should I go down that road.   

 

Push carts are hot right now due to COVID, but Maple Hill has a couple in stock.  I have a buddy who likes his Nitron Push Cart:

 

https://maplehillgolf.com/bagboy-nitron-push-cart/

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had some poor club work done in the past few years, enough to make me decide last winter that I wanted to start doing most of it myself at home. I learned a lot here on WRX and Youtube, plus have a friend I can call if needed. There are a lot of tips and tricks I picked up along the way. I can do all the basics like grips, cut shafts, install/remove heads, adapters, ferrules, etc. Only a few household tools and supplies are required, and overall it's a good hobby for a golf nerd like me

I made some mistakes early on but learned from them and am now at the point where I'm confident in my builds (I nearly ruined a Tour issue M6 3 wood head and unloaded it for a decent loss 😅)

 

Some things I can't do are loft/lie adjustments and swing-weighting because I don't have the equipment. Now when I do go into a shop to have work done, I take an interest in the task and try to ask as many questions about it as I can, 1. because I want to learn and 2. because I want him to walk me through his process so I can be certain he's doing it how I want. I have no problem giving my input, after all I'm the one playing the club and paying for the work. I've found if you have a good rapport with the builder and make it more of a collaborative effort, he's more likely to do better work than if you just drop off your stuff with a sticky note saying what you want done

 

I'm overall 2 for 2 with Golf Doctor, after going 1 for 4 at a place I won't mention

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bubbagump said:

Those who have a push cart, do you find a cart or stand bag works best or does it really not matter? 

 

Not all stand bags work well, but it doesn't really matter.

 

I used a Sun Mountain 3.5 Elite for a long time.  I still own the bag.  It sits totally fine on my Clicgear.  It never really twisted, or had any issues with accessing stuff because of being strapped to the cart.

 

I've been primarily using a Callaway Hyperlite Zero since I won it at an event last year.  It's like 4lbs lighter, and fits better in my trunk.  In every other way, it's worse, including the way it fits on the cart.  I've got the bottom elastic strap on the clic tightened all the way to the max, but it's still a weird fit, because the bottom of the bag isn't rigid around the edges.  The bag twists to the side constantly, and the top strap comes undone throughout the round.

 

At the end of the day, it just doesn't matter.  My bag has never fallen off the cart.  It does it's job of holding my clubs and other stuff.  The better fit in my trunk, and weight savings make me keep using it anyways.  I do occasionally carry as well, which it's much better for, being so light.  Even pushing, I notice a difference using it compared to my other stand bag.  Every little bit of weight makes a difference.

 

7 hours ago, tungstenplug said:

I'm overall 2 for 2 with Golf Doctor, after going 1 for 4 at a place I won't mention

 

Why not?  Maybe you can help somebody avoid the same bad experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will chime in to add my monthly-ish promotion of the Bag Boy Quad. I was a happy ClicGear user for years with a cart bag, but when I switched to carry bags I had all sorts of fit-up issues with the bottom. BBQ has a simpler bottom design and because of the way it holds the bag, no strap is needed either.

 

Be safe this week, all. My Thanksgiving just shrunk due to my BIL contracting COVID- it's OK to hang out at home if you're unsure. 

  • Like 2

"In Transit, Arriving Late"

Flash SZ 17°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

Link to post
Share on other sites

@bubbagump I have an Ogio Shredder with some Caddytek 4-wheeler and while the base does get a little squirrelly on more undulating terrain (like some of those side hill redirects I did due to unfamiliarity at Worthington) it’s fine the other 99% of the time. Doesn’t fit flush into the cradles but it’s secured by bungy cords top and bottom so easy enough to tighten up. 
 

I do own a cart bag but only used it once to travel because boy it is bizarre to me. The dividers are all weird and the should strap is on the wrong side for carrying. I know that’s the point but, it’s not for me. I just use it as a storage bag in my room now. 

Cobra King Ltd, Speeder TS 6.2
Callaway BBA 816, Accra CS1 80
Adams A12, Diamana Thump
TM TP MC/MB, KBS Tour 
Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*, DG S400
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M

Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI I have this but paid $160 + tax for it two months ago on Amazon vs $250 that RBG is showing. Whaaaat... 

 

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/bags-carts/push-carts/caddytek-golf-explorer-v8-superlite-deluxe-push-cart/

 

Edit - guess they are sold out because Amazon has it for $260 now 

Edited by Puppetmaster

Cobra King Ltd, Speeder TS 6.2
Callaway BBA 816, Accra CS1 80
Adams A12, Diamana Thump
TM TP MC/MB, KBS Tour 
Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*, DG S400
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a ClicGear B3 bag that fits perfectly on the Clic.  I don't think they make them any longer, but you could consider it equivalent to a cart bag for this purpose.  I stopped using it and instead went back to a stand bag.  My Titleist stand bag has a semi-rigid bottom so it sits okay on the Clic, but not as good as the actual Clicgear bag or a cart bag with a completely rigid bottom.

 

Using a cart bag is just a PITA when you aren't using the ClicGear or riding.  When I went to the range I wanted a stand bag.  When I traveled and didn't have the ClicGear, I wanted a stand bag.  There are even certain courses where I'd rather carry than use the ClicGear.

 

The flexibility of a stand bag far outweighs it not being a perfect fit on the ClicGear.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GooseHook said:

Be safe this week, all. My Thanksgiving just shrunk due to my BIL contracting COVID- it's OK to hang out at home if you're unsure. 

 

We're doing a solo Thanksgiving for the first time in our lives.  Outside of the numbers being up, I'm also starting to see cases in people I know and who were relatively careful.  I didn't know a single person with it until September or October, but suddenly this month there are several.

 

After Thanksgiving we're going in to total lockdown mode so that we have a chance to do Christmas with family.  No golf, no trips to the store, no daycare, nothing.  Going to be a miserable few weeks, but hopefully it pays off.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 FARMERS WITB & Equipment Photos- Links and comments
      We are back on the ground at the 2021 Farmers PGA Tour event. Please add you comments in this thread. Here are links to all the galleries:
       
      Special galleries:
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #1
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #2
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #3
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #4
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #6
       
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #7
       
      Cameron putters - Farmers 2021
       
      Odyssey 2-ball Ten - Farmers 2021
       
      Project X Even Flow RipTide MX & LX proto shafts - Framers 2021
       
      TaylorMade putter cover for Torrey Pines - Farmers 2021
       
      Sling Shot training aid - Farmers 2021
       
       
      • 2 replies
    • 2021 American Express WITB & Equipment Photos- Links and comments
      We are back on the ground at the American Express PGA event.
       
      Here are links to all the galleries:
       
      Cameron putters - 2021 American Express
      PXG Gen 4 prototype drivers - new putters
      UST Maymiya LinQ shafts - American Express 2021
      Mitsubishi Kaili & MMT shafts - American Express 2021
      Titleist TSi 2 & TSi 3 hybrids - American Express 2021
      TaylorMade putter cover for Palm Springs/Palm Desert - American Express
      New Aldila Synergy, Ascent & prototype shafts - American Express 2021
      Callaway Apex Pro iron, Epic Driver and fairway, Apex iron & hybrid - American Express 2021
      New Perfect Practice training aids - American Express 2021
      New KBS prototype shafts - American Express 2021
       
      • 17 replies
    • Kevin Na WITB: 2021 Sony Open Winner (pics and specs)
      Kevin Na's What's In The Bag?
       
      Specs are on the front-page as well-
      https://www.golfwrx.com/645178/kevin-nas-winning-witb-2021-sony-open/
       
      Driver- Callaway GBB Epic (9 degrees) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 TX
      3w- Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero (13.5 degrees) Mitsubishi Diamana RF 70 TX
      5w- Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero (18 degrees) Mitsubishi Diamana RF 80 TX
      Hybrid- PXG 0317 X Gen 2 (19 degrees) Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X
      Irons- Callaway Rogue Pro (4), Callaway Apex Pro 16 (5-PW) True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
      Wedges- Callaway Mack Daddy 4 (54), Vokey Design prototype (’18) (60-06K ) True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
      Putter- Odyssey Toulon Madison
      Grips- Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus4
      Ball- Titleist Pro V1x
       

       
        • Like
      • 48 replies
    • SIM up close
      Here some pictures up close of the SIM only for now.  
       
      Wk
        • Like
      • 170 replies
    • 2021 EQUIPMENT LAUNCHES (Running thread of all our launch pieces)
      A continually updated table of contents of our front page 2021 equipment launch stories for your reading pleasure. 
       

      Callaway
      Apex irons, Apex Pro irons, Apex DCB irons Apex hybrids, Apex Pro hybrids  
      Mizuno 
      MCraft putters
      Ping
      G425 driver G425 fairway woods, hybrids and crossover G425 irons
       
      PXG 
      PXG 0211 series
      • 60 replies

×
×
  • Create New...