• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• FAbb

• dcmidnight

• SullGolf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With great regret, I am posting today to inform you all that our friend GMen has passed away. His death was unexpected. I have no details and am awaiting info on funeral services and how best to send

Field Report: 2nd Swing Wilmington DE     After Christmas, my son uttered the words that every 90's shooter golfer longs to hear out of his progeny, in the hopes that they can live vica

Ah, eff it. It's a little self indulgent, but I wrote almost 4k words while they were fresh n my mind and just decided to post it on an old wordpress blog that I created a few years ago to do some wor

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, SullGolf said:

We're doing a solo Thanksgiving for the first time in our lives.  Outside of the numbers being up, I'm also starting to see cases in people I know and who were relatively careful.  I didn't know a single person with it until September or October, but suddenly this month there are several.

After Thanksgiving we're going in to total lockdown mode so that we have a chance to do Christmas with family.  No golf, no trips to the store, no daycare, nothing.  Going to be a miserable few weeks, but hopefully it pays off.

It's crazy. One family friend works for a business that still has him out in the "field" most of the time, and he's been somewhat lax hanging out with his friends. He got it, gave it to his brother/roommate, who is best friends with my BIL. They sat around playing CoD for a whole night, so now he's got it. And as a result, my cousin (who is crashing with him before she starts travel nursing) now has to miss two weeks of work for her quarantine. 

This is really the dumbest year imaginable. I'm not going to shut down golf entirely but for the next couple of months I'm only going to play with people I fully trust and no more post-round beers/meals. I could rant all day about it, but the worst part about this is when healthcare pros get forced to quarantine, some of them don't get any additional sick time and if they don't have enough accrued they basically get no paycheck if they have to go into isolation. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

"In Transit, Arriving Late"

Flash SZ 17°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

I will only play with my Saturday group now because they are still super conscious about it - some senior members too - and there are really no more post golf beers. I've seen too many pics of no-mask hangs after golf that just doesnt happen in our group anymore. So I'm OK keeping golf in my life with caveats. But there are certainly no rounds with randos right now. To each his own. We also have some D who now wants the pin taken out. I make him take it out himself just on principle.

This weekend was our version of the red tee challenge - appropriately enough called the green tee challenge. I couldn't do any better than a +6 with two birdies and one pickup/lost ball. The green tees at MV put you so close to some of the L>R doglegs that it was terrifying for a guy who right now cannot fade the ball. I hit a lot of short irons off the tee.

BTW who knew that a ball with orange/black marks on it (TP5 Pix) doesnt do well in the leaves. But off the greens I think I was playing as a +2 or +3 so it was a whopper differential. Index is settling around a 4 right now which feels a lot better than a 2. I will say, so far I'm impressed with the feel of the Blackjack putter. PXG takes a lot of flack - including from me - but so far I like it. And for the third time I hit some demos of the TM 790s and the 770s - the idea of a combo set is becoming intriguing.

Another thing I'm impressed with so far is how well the Traeger works. Two cooks in so far, did boneless spare ribs on Saturday and a quick batch of wings yesterday. Delicious. Very easy to use and the cleanup is just miles better than using the charcoal smokers. Wipe it down, shop vac out the ash - done. As Puppet said, I know that "purisits" might scoff at a pellet smoker or something you can run from an app but man it is just so much easier than dealing with the coals all day and then cleaning up after it. Yeah I was definitely wrong about the pellet smokers in general. Going to be throwing the turkey on there Wednesday morning, cant wait to see how it turns out.

• Like 1

SIM Max 12* - Ventus Black Velocore 6x / SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s 
SIM 2i UDI Diamana Thump / 5i Steelfiber 95s
P790 6,7i / P770 8i-GW Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM8 Raw 54* / 58* / 62*
PXG Blackjack 35" / TM TP5 Pix

There's definitely folks wanting the pin out again.  It doesn't bother me to grab it when they do.  I don't worry about catching something from touching the flag stick.  I never touch my face.  A good habit I picked up early on after my first child was born and started bringing every plague known to man home from daycare.

• Like 1

We are moving T'giving to Friday so we can host the inlaws outdoors. 

The idea of traveling to see my family for XMas is pretty much out the window.  Older daughter is likely to have HS basketball starting up next week, and just way to much risk bringing that into my parents house.

I'm not really changing up my golf practices (assuming I get time to play).  I'm generally a misanthrope anyway, so I don't get too close to players in my group anyway.  And it's cool enough now, I'll probably just wear a gaiter the whole time anyway.  

• Like 1

M5
Epic Flash SZ
Baffler
Apex Pro Smoke '19
SM7 52
Cobra King 58*
Spider Tour CS

22 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

I will only play with my Saturday group now because they are still super conscious about it - some senior members too - and there are really no more post golf beers. I've seen too many pics of no-mask hangs after golf that just doesnt happen in our group anymore. So I'm OK keeping golf in my life with caveats. But there are certainly no rounds with randos right now. To each his own. We also have some D who now wants the pin taken out. I make him take it out himself just on principle.

This weekend was our version of the red tee challenge - appropriately enough called the green tee challenge. I couldn't do any better than a +6 with two birdies and one pickup/lost ball. The green tees at MV put you so close to some of the L>R doglegs that it was terrifying for a guy who right now cannot fade the ball. I hit a lot of short irons off the tee.

BTW who knew that a ball with orange/black marks on it (TP5 Pix) doesnt do well in the leaves. But off the greens I think I was playing as a +2 or +3 so it was a whopper differential. Index is settling around a 4 right now which feels a lot better than a 2. I will say, so far I'm impressed with the feel of the Blackjack putter. PXG takes a lot of flack - including from me - but so far I like it. And for the third time I hit some demos of the TM 790s and the 770s - the idea of a combo set is becoming intriguing.

Another thing I'm impressed with so far is how well the Traeger works. Two cooks in so far, did boneless spare ribs on Saturday and a quick batch of wings yesterday. Delicious. Very easy to use and the cleanup is just miles better than using the charcoal smokers. Wipe it down, shop vac out the ash - done. As Puppet said, I know that "purisits" might scoff at a pellet smoker or something you can run from an app but man it is just so much easier than dealing with the coals all day and then cleaning up after it. Yeah I was definitely wrong about the pellet smokers in general. Going to be throwing the turkey on there Wednesday morning, cant wait to see how it turns out.

The PXG putters were rightfully overlooked at their old price point, but since April the pricing deal has made them a must-try for anyone in the putter market. I love my Closer, especially since I could order it with the neck /grip/headweight I wanted with no upcharge. I think the stock shaft is the KBS CT as well. 

• Like 3

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

These are my general ground rules: I take my mask off on the first tee and put it back on when I finish 18, but I generally walk and try to keep my distance.  If I have to take a cart I'm not sharing unless it's someone that I know very well and know what they've been up to. Basically I don't want you within 6 feet of me, other than brief passing by situations. No more whispering to me on the tee box while someone else is prepping. I also prefer for no one to touch my ball and vice versa. I'm guilty of using my towel and spit shine to keep a ball clean, and I know that other do too, so I think we should avoid that. When it comes to the flag, I've been lazily leaving it in my entire golfing life (except for competitive and serious rounds) so I really don't need to take it out now. If you need it out, you can do it yourself. 

Recently I was paired up with someone who made me uncomfortable for the first time, they were way too comfortable getting inside my personal bubble. But it has only happened once. I have noticed others wanting to fist and elbow bump, get beers after, and stuff like that. Those are the kinds of things I think we need to be careful about to keep us from shutting down again.

For thanksgiving my SO and I are driving out of state. We'll see a total of 3 family members and we're all getting tested first. I do have a college friend that I may play golf with while we are there and know that he has been an ardent social distancer. Usually when we're there I go to his house and see his wife and kids, but not this year.

My Dad lives a few states away of me and his group seems less concerned despite their age. They don't dine indoors, but post round beers and meals outside look exactly they way they looked in the fall of 2019 or 2018. I visited another club in my area where all of the staff was given temperature checks every time they came into work... members were not checked... SMH!

Unrelated:

Has anyone put a 7 wood in the bag? How does the distance of a 21* wood compare to a 19* hybrid / utility iron? 

19 minutes ago, GooseHook said:

The PXG putters were rightfully overlooked at their old price point, but since April the pricing deal has made them a must-try for anyone in the putter market. I love my Closer, especially since I could order it with the neck /grip/headweight I wanted with no upcharge. I think the stock shaft is the KBS CT as well. 

I'm thinking about the Lucky D with plumbers neck... and what a name... 

Cobra King Ltd, Speeder TS 6.2
Callaway BBA 816, Accra CS1 80
Adams A12, Diamana Thump
TM TP MC/MB, KBS Tour 
Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*, DG S400
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M

11 minutes ago, Puppetmaster said:

I'm thinking about the Lucky D with plumbers neck... and what a name... 

Doesn't seem all that lightweight looking at the spec chart. The shapes are nice but the names are pretty ridiculous. 

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

22 minutes ago, FAbb said:

Wow.  That is the best looking Spider-like mallet design I've seen.  Which hosel configuration do you have?

Plumbers neck. Definitely love the soft feel of it, much more than I like how the Sullyspider feels. Played around with the weights a little bit too. One thing I wish is that I could have had a SuperStroke put on it, maybe switch that up.

2 hours ago, FAbb said:

That thing has to be a tank with a plumbers neck.  370+ grams?

I made it a little heavier, I think the stock was 360.

I've played 80-90 rounds this year, mostly as a single with 3 randoms. Don't wear a mask on the course, but make sure that I don't really get within 6 or even 10 feet of people. 

Risk from touching things is almost 0, but I do hand sanitize when I get into the car, and wear a mask from my car to the 1st Tee and from the 18th tee to the car.

A few people have been pretty pushy about getting way too close for absolutely no reason (wanting to chat, high five, etc.) despite my warning that I'd like them to maintain distance, and I've had no issue telling them to pound sand, even if it makes me look like an a****** in the moment. 

Edited by golfman1023
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, thechief16 said:

We are moving T'giving to Friday so we can host the inlaws outdoors. 

The idea of traveling to see my family for XMas is pretty much out the window.  Older daughter is likely to have HS basketball starting up next week, and just way to much risk bringing that into my parents house.

I'm not really changing up my golf practices (assuming I get time to play).  I'm generally a misanthrope anyway, so I don't get too close to players in my group anyway.  And it's cool enough now, I'll probably just wear a gaiter the whole time anyway.  

Wow, I thought you said glitter, not gaiter. You'd never get close to anyone decked out in glitter!

Edited by gregh729
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

small Thanksgiving here as well. Just daughter and my parents. We are planning to eat outside on the deck. Supposed to be in the 60s.  My wife and I have been good all month. We haven't been around anyone, even our kids, for a least 2 weeks. 

Golf might be over for the year for me. We'll see how the weather shakes out after next week. 3 huge briefings next week puts a damper on things

36 minutes ago, J13 said:

Whats going on around here with this twelve monkeys business? 😉   I don't post in here much, probably should as fellow Marylander.  But read a few posts and I think we can all agree covid sucks and hopefully golf courses remain open.  People at my club are mixed.  Some take it very seriously and use dividers in carts or walk, others don't mind mixing in the usual way.  All i know is i'm ready for 2020 to be in our rear view.

I'm also ready for Priority Mail to arrive on time again, it's BST open season. 

• Like 3

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

59 minutes ago, J13 said:

Whats going on around here with this twelve monkeys business? 😉   I don't post in here much, probably should as fellow Marylander.  But read a few posts and I think we can all agree covid sucks and hopefully golf courses remain open.  People at my club are mixed.  Some take it very seriously and use dividers in carts or walk, others don't mind mixing in the usual way.  All i know is i'm ready for 2020 to be in our rear view.

You can blame the Twelve Monkeys thing on @eagle1997.  I thought the thread title ought to be something a little less disturbing.  FYI, this is the twelfth iteration of MD/DC/VA golf threads, although I don't think previous ones went nearly as long as this time.  Maybe its time to go to 13?

• Like 4
6 hours ago, gregh729 said:

Wow, I thought you said glitter, not gaiter. You'd never get close to anyone decked out in glitter!

Didn't Tex have a giltter beard for some event? Or was that DCM? 

• Like 1

Cobra King Ltd, Speeder TS 6.2
Callaway BBA 816, Accra CS1 80
Adams A12, Diamana Thump
TM TP MC/MB, KBS Tour 
Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*, DG S400
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M