MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

44 minutes ago, SullGolf said:

I built two clubs 6-7 years ago. They are still holding up but are a bit sloppy looking.  Shaft isn’t quite aligned right and there’s a bit of extra epoxy.  My biggest mistake was removing a graphite shaft myself.  Destroyed the shaft and left some pieces in the hosel.  Was a huge PITA to drill and grind out the extra graphite and then clean the hosel properly.  I’m honestly surprised I never had any issues with the clubs over the years, which probably speaks to it being a relatively foolproof process (or my low swing speed).

I learned my lesson and will pay the pros for that.  It’s one of those things that isn’t hard, but takes practice to do it well.

GolfWorks offers shaft services like trimming and prepping the tips to take epoxy properly.  Then all you have to do is assemble.

I had a similar issue the first time I tried to pull a graphite shaft. I did not have a good puller and tried to do it anyway, completely ruined the shaft and the head was full of the leftovers. I haven't tried again since.

If its a simple job - prepping/shafts in a putter, grip changes, shaft cutdowns - I can do that stuff no problem. And I know I can just buy the right equipment but at the same time, I've been happy to just pay a pro to do the heavy lifting stuff.

SIM Max 12* - Ventus Black Velocore 6x / SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s 
SIM 2i UDI Diamana Thump / 5i Steelfiber 95s
P790 6,7i / P770 8i-GW Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM8 Raw 54* / 58* / 62*
Putter / TM TP5 Pix

• Replies 24.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• dcmidnight

• FAbb

• SullGolf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With great regret, I am posting today to inform you all that our friend GMen has passed away. His death was unexpected. I have no details and am awaiting info on funeral services and how best to send

Field Report: 2nd Swing Wilmington DE     After Christmas, my son uttered the words that every 90's shooter golfer longs to hear out of his progeny, in the hopes that they can live vica

Ah, eff it. It's a little self indulgent, but I wrote almost 4k words while they were fresh n my mind and just decided to post it on an old wordpress blog that I created a few years ago to do some wor

Posted Images

Over/under on @dcmidnight alreading having a tab started at the @J13 build shop?

I do all the basic stuff myself, including building clubs.  I can't pull graphite shafts without damage, do loft/lie adjustments, or hotmelt.  My only customer (I don't think I can call him a customer since he doesn't actually pay me) is Tumor.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Oh reallllllyyyy....

(raises hand)

I'd been thinking about getting my Sim MAX hotmelted to deaden the sound even more. Found a site that sells lighter backweights so I dont change the total weight too much because I honestly like the feel of it right now.

I regret selling my Max, I had hotmelted the thing to 205g and it sounded fantastic. 

"In Transit, Arriving Late"

Flash SZ 17°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

8 minutes ago, GooseHook said:

I regret selling my Max, I had hotmelted the thing to 205g and it sounded fantastic. 

How much did you put in there?

Putter / TM TP5 Pix

42 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

How much did you put in there?

I think 10-11g. Mostly for swing weight. You probably need at least a few grams to make a significant sound difference.

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

2 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

I had a similar issue the first time I tried to pull a graphite shaft. I did not have a good puller and tried to do it anyway, completely ruined the shaft and the head was full of the leftovers. I haven't tried again since.

If its a simple job - prepping/shafts in a putter, grip changes, shaft cutdowns - I can do that stuff no problem. And I know I can just buy the right equipment but at the same time, I've been happy to just pay a pro to do the heavy lifting stuff.

I can do pretty much everything but loft&lie and hotmelt.  Got a good, cheap ($100) puller off ebay a few years ago that has been fantastic. Have probably saved myself a ton of money over the years, not to mention the enjoyment I get out out of learning/tinkering.

Learning how to do hotmelt might be my next project, given how I tend to stick with drivers longer than I'd prefer b/c I'm so picky about feel/sound.

M5
Epic Flash SZ
Baffler
Apex Pro Smoke '19
SM7 52
Cobra King 58*
Spider Tour CS

7 minutes ago, thechief16 said:

I can do pretty much everything but loft&lie and hotmelt.  Got a good, cheap ($100) puller off ebay a few years ago that has been fantastic. Have probably saved myself a ton of money over the years, not to mention the enjoyment I get out out of learning/tinkering.

Learning how to do hotmelt might be my next project, given how I tend to stick with drivers longer than I'd prefer b/c I'm so picky about feel/sound.

Yeah I know the kits themselves are only $100-150 last time I checked but it would also cost me at least....three driver heads to experiment on.

• Like 2

Putter / TM TP5 Pix

5 minutes ago, J13 said:

Yes sir. I do work for a ton of wrx'ers pretty much by word of mouth.  Local guys as well and also have done/do work for some of the local college D1 programs and even some mini tour guys.  I think i'm the only person in the state that has a real tour van hotmelt setup so i do a lot of that besides the normal bending irons, putters, grips, ect...  Anyone that needs services just hit me up on here via PM.  Happy to help 👍

Where in MD are you located?  

1 hour ago, ALTSean said:

Where in MD are you located?  

I'm north of Baltimore now.  Fallston/Bel Air area.  Usually local guys either can swing by or I meet them around Baltimore as i work in the city.  

• Like 1

Ping G410LST 9* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X                  

Cally Mav SZ 13.5* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 wedges / Mitsu MMT 125TX

34 minutes ago, Gmen1204 said:

You would be correct

Where you located?  

Ping G410LST 9* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X                  

Cally Mav SZ 13.5* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 wedges / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Speaking of tinkering... I just did my JPX 850s with C-Taper 130X, +0.5" with some BBF&Co Ferrules. So far... no heads have gone flying...

Taking to Golf Galaxy in Columbia tomorrow to make them 2° upright, which will make them the same as the P770 1° Upright I was fit for. 

Losing everything left, and frankly it's just uncomfortable with how flat they are. 

1 hour ago, golfman1023 said:

Speaking of tinkering... I just did my JPX 850s with C-Taper 130X, +0.5" with some BBF&Co Ferrules. So far... no heads have gone flying...

Taking to Golf Galaxy in Columbia tomorrow to make them 2° upright, which will make them the same as the P770 1° Upright I was fit for. 

Losing everything left, and frankly it's just uncomfortable with how flat they are. 

Won’t making them more upright have the ball flight go more left?

12 minutes ago, gsrjc said:

Won’t making them more upright have the ball flight go more left?

Mizunos are flatter compare to all the other Oems.

Flatter brings the ball to the toe and upright brings the ball closer to the heel. Why tape is needed or sharpie lines to show what impact is consistent for the player to adjust. 

Adding an 1/2 inch brings his clubs up one degree upright too 

Edited by misplacedtexan83
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Mavrik SZ *9.0 (-1) w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Allendale
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

37 minutes ago, misplacedtexan83 said:

Mizunos are flatter compare to all the other Oems.

Flatter brings the ball to the toe and upright brings the ball closer to the heel. Why tape is needed or sharpie lines to show what impact is consistent for the player to adjust. 

Adding an 1/2 inch brings his clubs up one degree upright too 

I see. Good to know. I always thought the opposite that if I hit on the toe too much then I should make my mizunos a little flatter so I hit the center more.  Perhaps it’s actually from my standing up on the downswing and pulling my hands away from the ball and hence hitting the toe. Most recently I’ve been keeping my spine angle and hitting the sweet spot. Will probably need to get checked. 

Edited by gsrjc
30 minutes ago, gsrjc said:

I see. Good to know. I always thought the opposite that if I hit on the toe too much then I should make my mizunos a little flatter so I hit the center more.  MP18 MMC are 1 degree upright and thinking perhaps I want to go 0.5 degree upright or standard now. 

Swing faults come into play as well... lie angle is not a magical bullet but will allow you to get closer to the center more than playing a lie angle wrong for you. 

protos F4

1 minute ago, misplacedtexan83 said:

Swing faults come into play as well... lie angle is not a magical bullet but will allow you to get closer to the center more than playing a lie angle wrong for you. 

Yeah I think I was standing up during my downswing and hence hitting the toe but more recently been trying to keep my spine angle and hitting the sweet spot. 

Moar club orders...excellent.

I am still waiting on my 790/770 combo set to be fully shipped. I ordered the 6/7 irons in the P790s (2* weak) and the 8/9/P/A in the P770. I love the 770s for a lot of the reasons Fabb talked about. Its a smaller blade size, looks great at address but more importantly just FEELS great. And this may sound like a silly thing to complain about but after 2 years with the M5s, I just had too many yardage gaps in the bottom of my bag because of how far I hit the short irons. So if the 770s are all 2 or so * weaker than the M5s, perfect. I dont really need a 9 iron that goes 150 yards but if it goes 138 yards or 140 yards reliably every time, thats better.

As far as the utility search goes, been there. Like you, I chop mine way down. My SIM 2i is at 39.25" which I think is a great length for that long iron/utility club. I found the 40-41" clubs to just be way too long especially on tee shots, it just felt awkward to pull out a hybrid or really light iron with a super long shaft. I've thought about toying around with a 5 wood but I like the 2i so much that it just hasnt come up...yet. Currently use it on 3-4 tee shots and a par 3 at MV so it gets good use.

Driver head off last night to J for some hot melt. With the shite weather this week, should have it back well before I really need to get out again. 

Have a lesson scheduled for next week, an hour to work on bunkers and short game. My bunker play has been so trash the last few times out, I honest to god felt like a beginner in there. I really feel like our pro is going to take one look at me and fix it but I need it fixed before next season.

Not sure what else I could tinker around with although with some decent shop credit left, its always a possibility.

• Like 4

Putter / TM TP5 Pix

The 410 LST is a really nice looking driver. I'm certain it's forgiving, because I've had some terrible driving days with it.  It does seem to work better with a higher balance point shaft, so I sold my Atmos Black and ended up keeping the Evo II 757. A WRXer messaged me the other day about the Atmos from a closed BST ad (weeks old) and I couldn't refuse the money.

I also said bye to the X-Forged heads and have a set of MP-20 MMCs waiting for me today. I don't have any other reason for changing other than the fact that I'm a Mizuno homer. Well, that and I never got used to the look of the irons compared to the shapes I was used to.

**I'm pulling the Nippon 120S shafts out of the Mizunos this weekend, if anyone wants a set of pulls you can have first dibs. 

• Like 1

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

Funny, Tumor just got fit at 2nd Swing for 770s and placed his order... scheduled to come in mid-late January.  Yowsa.  The pandemic sure is cranking up lead times on new clubs and custom orders.

I want irons that cover the 120-200 range, that fly the same distance consistently, and have consistent gaps between them.  I don't care what numbers are on the bottom of those clubs.  I think with some of the players distance clubs, they start dropping spin rates a little too much, which like you said, leads to unpredictability.

I've been a very unpredictable bunker player in recent years.  Sometimes I hit really good shots.  Sometimes I bounce the club into the ball.  Sometimes I catch one dead clean and hit it 50 yards.  My buddy the teaching pro is the best bunker player I've ever played with, bar none.  I went to play with him a couple weeks ago, and I got him to give me a quick lesson in the bunker before we went out.  All we did was move my ball well back, to the middle of my stance.  I mean, the ball position probably moved 12" back.  He just said that I'm so shallow that I can't play the ball in a spot where I'm naturally coming in so far behind it.  I hit some better ones right away, and after a little adjustment period, my bunker game has been much less volatile.  I hit one bad one that day, but I haven't hit a single screamer over a green since.

• Like 3

Yeah my 790s came in a week and they had to have the lofts changed - the 770s they told me end of Decemberish. This is as good a time a year as any though to have to wait for new sticks, not a whole lot going on.

• Like 1

Putter / TM TP5 Pix

Just now, Puppetmaster said:

If anyone can help me with some club work - grinding off the hosels and moving the sweet spot to about half an inch from there - slide into my DMs. 

Puppet,

I got you brother... have you heard of these new Callaway irons 🤑

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

protos F4

8 minutes ago, misplacedtexan83 said:

Puppet,

I got you brother... have you heard of these new Callaway irons 🤑

I've actually been browsing through some of those, I like the look of the Apex, always have. 

But what is up with Callaway and that guy AJ in the vids? He reminds me of Andy Samberg's cameo character in Parks and Rec:

Cobra King Ltd, Speeder TS 6.2
Callaway BBA 816, Accra CS1 80
Adams A12, Diamana Thump
TM TP MC/MB, KBS Tour 
Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*, DG S400
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M