Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

2 hours ago, FAbb said:

BST those pulls. I’ve never had better luck selling on the BST than I have the last couple months. 

I will, I will. But so can’t help but try them for just one winter round. It’s. Probably going to be disastrous but I can’t help it.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

BCC is really good 

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
protos F4

Genuine question, @SullGolf.  You said you  hope to have the wealth to join one of those clubs some day.  Why one of those clubs?  Are they not attractive to you in large part BECAUSE they've been shoved in your face year after year on those lists?

Flaunting of wealth is as old as wealth itself.  I don't find publishing the same list of elite clubs year after year to be all that egregious in the grand scheme of life.

The PGA Tour, PGA of America, USGA, and Augusta National holding championships at elite private clubs is every bit as guilty of creating the perception you discussed as the magazines publishing lists, if not more.  Or how about the players when they whine about the way a hole is designed, or when the greens aren't absolutely perfect, when the courses and conditions they encounter are beyond what most golfers will ever experience in their lifetime?

Here's a small counterpoint for you - the lists create a huge amount of buzz around those courses.  That helps drive people's interest in playing somewhere they otherwise couldn't, and creates a market for rounds at such courses being auctioned off for charitable causes.

I guess I just find the lists to be pretty harmless.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FAbb said:

Genuine question, @SullGolf.  You said you  hope to have the wealth to join one of those clubs some day.  Why one of those clubs?  Are they not attractive to you in large part BECAUSE they've been shoved in your face year after year on those lists?

Flaunting of wealth is as old as wealth itself.  I don't find publishing the same list of elite clubs year after year to be all that egregious in the grand scheme of life.

The PGA Tour, PGA of America, USGA, and Augusta National holding championships at elite private clubs is every bit as guilty of creating the perception you discussed as the magazines publishing lists, if not more.  Or how about the players when they whine about the way a hole is designed, or when the greens aren't absolutely perfect, when the courses and conditions they encounter are beyond what most golfers will ever experience in their lifetime?

Here's a small counterpoint for you - the lists create a huge amount of buzz around those courses.  That helps drive people's interest in playing somewhere they otherwise couldn't, and creates a market for rounds at such courses being auctioned off for charitable causes.

I guess I just find the lists to be pretty harmless.

I am in this camp.  I like to see the State lists because I naively hope there are some courses I could play.  Looking at the MD & VA lists above, I've only played 1 of those courses and that was 15 years ago in college when I was dating a girl who's family was a member (another story for another forum).  They could at least expand the list to a top 10 or 15 in order to capture a few of the top public / resort courses.  Or publish two lists with "Best in State" and then with "Best Public in State."   

I do agree with @dcmidnight that the lists get really repetitive.  I get GD for "free" from the VSGA, but no longer pay for any golf magazine except for The Golfers Journal, which is a great magazine and has nice perks like the annual gift and Linksoul credit.  

If you want another "list" to make your head explode, explain these rankings:

https://www.platinumclubsofamerica.com/top-150-country-clubs

Three of the top 10 country clubs in the country are in this area according to this list, but call me skeptical.  

Buzz? Lol. Do Pine Valley, Augusta or Merion really need these lists to create buzz for them. People who are (realistically) bidding on rounds at those courses, they don't need Golf Magazine lists to pump up the course rep.

This will sound...whatever....but I was completely underwhelmed by my day at Congressional. With 2,000 or 3,000 members, that's definitely not a place people join because they want to be in the Tuesday night beer league and/or post 100 rounds a year. Also I ended up practice putting on the chipping green and Fluff was laughing at me.

BTW I took Sully's comment to mean more that he wouldn't mind being a member somewhere nice - not necessarily the places next door to his house.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I saw Birdwood (which is the UVA course) on the VA list and thought "wtf? That place wouldn't make the top 25 public courses in the state."  Turns out they just had DLIII redesign the place.  Prices increased substantially after the redo. 

The good news - it's public so commoners like Sully can still play it.  

• Like 2

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

6 minutes ago, Johnny T said:

I saw Birdwood (which is the UVA course) on the VA list and thought "wtf? That place wouldn't make the top 25 public courses in the state."  Turns out they just had DLIII redesign the place.  Prices increased substantially after the redo. 

The good news - it's public so commoners like Sully can still play it.  

Good catch that Birdwood is open to the public.  The golf.com list omitted the "P" next to Birdwood.  Offseason rates don't look too bad between now and March so I wonder how are the course conditions.  

I liked Birdwood when I played a tournament there a few years ago, with a redesign its probably pretty sweet. Looks like offseason weekend rates are around $90-100? That doesn't seem too out of line for higher end public courses, pretty sure my buddy said Whiskey wants $120 on weekends now. LOL to that. The Birdwood par 3 course looks cool too but it looks like its only open to hotel guests.

Looking at this list makes me remember how far you can drive in Virginia and really not get anywhere. Primland is 5.5 hours from me.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

1 minute ago, ALTSean said:

Good catch that Birdwood is open to the public.  The golf.com list omitted the "P" next to Birdwood.  Offseason rates don't look too bad between now and March so I wonder how are the course conditions.  

From the price I hope they would be pretty good.  It's about double what it used to be.  Spring Creek isn't too far of a drive from Birdwood so you could probably make a weekend of it.

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

If you took away the cathedralesque clubhouses, took away the names, and gave them all the same maintenance budget, I wonder what the list would look like. Part of the reason these courses are rated so consistently high is their architecture and the names behind them. 

Some of these places are even national memberships and some of their roster doesn't even play the course but once or twice a year. I'm sure I'd  join one if I had F-U money, but that's an entirely different situation than a golfer who wants access to a local club whenever they want. 

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I said I was ranting, not that it made full logical sense.  I meant that I hope to be that wealthy, not that I hope to join those places.

The level of wealth Id need to have to consider spending that much on golf is pretty darn high.  It’s enough that I wouldn’t be working any longer, and thus probably wouldn’t be living close to those courses in the first place.  

Edited by SullGolf

Just now, SullGolf said:

I said I was ranting, not that it made full logical sense.  But I also said that I hope to be that wealthy, not that I hope to join those places.

The level of wealth Id need to have to consider spending that much on golf is pretty darn high.  It’s enough that I wouldn’t be working any longer, and thus probably wouldn’t be living close to those courses in the first place.  

Sully this is a safe place buddy. 

• Haha 2

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
protos F4

41 minutes ago, GooseHook said:

If you took away the cathedralesque clubhouses, took away the names, and gave them all the same maintenance budget, I wonder what the list would look like. Part of the reason these courses are rated so consistently high is their architecture and the names behind them. 

Some of these places are even national memberships and some of their roster doesn't even play the course but once or twice a year. I'm sure I'd  join one if I had F-U money, but that's an entirely different situation than a golfer who wants access to a local club whenever they want. 

Its funny, you compare two of the F-U money places like Caves and Congressional - IMO the attitude/vibe/scene could not have been more different. 

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I played Congo once, about 15 years ago. One of the guys I played softball with married into money. His FIL belongs. The course was great, but it was very stuffy. I think I paid around $250 guest rate. The softball guy is a serious D-Bag, but with a couple of the other guys on the team it was a fun day. He did put the post round beers on the patio on his (father in laws) membership

I've played Cascades twice and don't get the high rating. Nice course, great resort, but nothing so special that I would put it in the top Hundo

I read Sull as he wanted to be rich AF, not that he wanted to be a member at Congo.

And yes, to DC's point, there are multiple levels of FU money/private clubs.   The vibe at Congo is one of the worst I have ever seen.  Baltusrol is pretty bad too.  But there are a s*** ton of private clubs in New England, including a handful that are regularly in these top 100 lists, that have the chillest possible scene you could imagine (unless you want to use your cell phone anywhere but in the parking lot).     

• Like 1

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

6 minutes ago, gregh729 said:

I played Congo once, about 15 years ago. One of the guys I played softball with married into money. His FIL belongs. The course was great, but it was very stuffy. I think I paid around $250 guest rate. The softball guy is a serious D-Bag, but with a couple of the other guys on the team it was a fun day. He did put the post round beers on the patio on his (father in laws) membership

I've played Cascades twice and don't get the high rating. Nice course, great resort, but nothing so special that I would put it in the top Hundo

Full agreeance.  Totally pedestrian.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

I've played Congo quite a few times and Caves.  All great places but all very different.  Caves is very corporate and they don't want to see you much even if you are a member haha.  Congo is great, love the Blue course and the clubhouse is sick. 

With that said I belong to Eagles Nest CC which had everything i wanted.  It's a family oriented club without pretentious nonsense, very much a burger and beer type of crowd that likes to play music while they play and have a great time.  We have a decent amount of good players so i can always find a money game.  I looked at BCC especially when i was under 40 and I loved the courses but the people and rules were not for me.  

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I thought about getting a non-resident membership at Caves after we played there, I liked it that much. If you lived - at least this was as of a few years ago - outside of the 60 mile radius or so, the memberships options they had were not of the 6 figure variety. I loved the place. But yes, it was not the kind of place where they wanted you there every day grinding out a long range sesh. At the time they were building some nice cottages onsite where you could stay if you came for a night or two.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

2 minutes ago, FAbb said:

We pretty quickly went from "these top 100 lists are toxic for the game!" to people putting rulers to their you know what and measuring based on what high-end clubs they've played.

spacer.png

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

6 minutes ago, FAbb said:

We pretty quickly went from "these top 100 lists are toxic for the game!" to people putting rulers to their you know what and measuring based on what high-end clubs they've played.

List of people who played both Congo and Caves with me

SaltyFabb

That's the list...

• Like 2

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

21 minutes ago, FAbb said:

Greg Norman wins that contest haha

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I figured someone would take it that way. Kinda hard to have a knowledgable discussion about the topic without relating personal experiences.

FWIW, are there any actual golfers who care about "growing the game"? I suppose in a secondary sense in that it makes sure that their courses stay open.  But those who want to "grow the game" are those who make money off it -- equipment manufacturers, public golf course owners, TV networks and USGA/PGA.  I'd prefer we not grow game and let Brad and Chad go back to playing darts and beer pong.

But I am a self-admitted elitist.

Edited by thechief16
  • Like 1

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee