MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

7 minutes ago, misplacedtexan83 said:

Common sense should prevail to be honest. However, how long did it take for the PGA to allow shorts during practice rounds?  

Golf is always way behind. Don't care what you wear just play fast - 

"Dont care what you wear just play fast" - couldnt have said it better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Testing: Sim2 8*, Mizuno ST-G 220

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Cleveland Mashie 15.5*

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI/Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Three

2 hours ago, Ocgolfrick said:

We talked about "Growing the Game" last year vis a vis First Tee, etc.  And I know right now with the popularity of the game back up a lot of you are having full tee sheets and slow play.  But when COVID ends, (Soon please) I think a lot of casual golfers go back to what they did before in their leisure time, and we're back on a declining track of golf popularity.  Of course we'd all like to have ease of tee time availability and sub 4 hour rounds- but "Growing the Game" is fairly essential to all of our future golf.  I know @ALTSean has this problem at Army/Navy, as do I at OCGC in that when we show up for Men's league- we're usually the youngest people there.  I SEE younger people out there- but not avid golfers- more like "I do this 4x a year and mostly to drink beer to excess" golfers.  And the younger golfers we do have don't play the events- there's only a couple members younger than me who play Member/Guest and Member/Member- and a few more come out for club championship, but not for regular money games and organized league play. 

And maybe this is a more Private/Semi-private club problem in  a rural area than Muni/Public course in a populated area, but I just don't see that many younger people rushing into the game who could truly support a club.  And that probably seems elitist as well, but without the truly avid- weekly,twice weekly golfer- who spends some real money at the club- how can some clubs survive? And I know that people golf more as they age, but I'd rather see people taking up the game now than later.

While golf is hot now, I agree with @Ocgolfrick that late 2021, post vaccines, rounds will return to 2019 levels with maybe a +5% bump.  There will be other things competing for people's time from other sports, travel, family obligations, kids sports returning, less teleworking, etc.  The game will pick up some new "COVID era" players, but golf is inherently a time consuming, potentially frustrating, and oftentimes expensive hobby.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ocgolfrick said:

I finally figured out that the green Feedback box is based on feedback from sales on the BST- which explains why mine is so low at 3.  Then I saw @dcmidnight and thought "Wow, he's bought and sold 148 things, no one could top that"...and then Boogs posted.

It really should be 250+ but who's counting.

• Like 1

Testing: Sim2 8*, Mizuno ST-G 220

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Cleveland Mashie 15.5*

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI/Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Three

3 hours ago, Kent01putt said:

What makes you think these have changed, cause I don't think they have.

Well, I wore shorts when I played at Caves and I'm no one they would allow to break the rules. So that ruled had to of changed. Talking with memebers they indicated it no longer has to be a secondary club. 

1 hour ago, mizuno player said:

Well, I wore shorts when I played at Caves and I'm no one they would allow to break the rules. So that ruled had to of changed. Talking with memebers they indicated it no longer has to be a secondary club. 

Shorts are allowed at Caves.

@FAbb why you so hell bent on measuring the male anatomy?  But since you seem to be an expert how does Greg Norman stack up?

Edited by J13
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

One word — Angelina 

You don’t get that with a whippy shaft 

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

15 hours ago, FAbb said:

They don’t make a measuring device long enough for Kent. He’s played everywhere. 

I like the top 100 list. It give me a goal to try and see how many I could get done starting back in 1976. I got all the way up to 92 complete on the list back in 2015. The problem is the list has changed so much since than that I am now in the 80's again. I have really stop chasing the list. Opportunities still arise to play some  of them but I don't think you can ever catch them all. They do have a list of Top 100 public's that anyone can chase. Playing these places are fun to do once just to say you played them.  By the way Mediah CC is the most stuck-up place I have ever played and second place is not even close. That place makes Caves, Congo and BCC look like a beer hall full of hillbillies. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, FAbb said:

You’re not impressed by the 2.5” I just threw down? 😆

😆

Edel PROTO

23 hours ago, TheCityGame said:

Tom Doak did a list in Golf magazine that was "10 courses that aren't on the top 100 list" and it was more interesting than anything that was on that list. 

The top 100 list just has no context. 

Agree with this. Like someone said the Arch/Designer name makes a Hugh difference. I will say I have not found Gil Hanse courses to be anything close to top 100 list material(played two). The Streamsong course he did needs wind mills and should be a putt-putt course. 

City is right it would be nice to play these places with your buddy's, probably be more fun. But it was always fun to play any of these places under whatever business or pleasure situation.

• Like 1

I was in the lab (garage) yesterday afternoon, and came across something interesting while I was working on my setup alignments. I realized that I’ve been setting up with my hips open, shifted back of center in relation to my stance, and the right hip higher than the left. I tried to neutralize things out a bit, by squaring my hips and pushing them more forwards toward my lead leg. It felt like I was able to turn into my right leg more so than onto my right leg, if that makes sense. It makes swinging out to the right easier as well. I need some real world reps on grass, and seeing ball flight, but I liked the feel of the swing and contact I was getting. 

8 minutes ago, FAbb said:

I was in the lab (garage) yesterday afternoon, and came across something interesting while I was working on my setup alignments. I realized that I’ve been setting up with my hips open, shifted back of center in relation to my stance, and the right hip higher than the left. I tried to neutralize things out a bit, by squaring my hips and pushing them more forwards toward my lead leg. It felt like I was able to turn into my right leg more so than onto my right leg, if that makes sense. It makes swinging out to the right easier as well. I need some real world reps on grass, and seeing ball flight, but I liked the feel of the swing and contact I was getting. 

hips.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FAbb said:

The taller you stand at address the more you will be able to turn into the right hip on the backswing.  Makes perfect sense.

Edel PROTO

Suggestions on how to make the backswing shorter to parallel instead of crossing the line.  Doing it in slow motion is easy when during regular speed, it feels as though I need to stop my backswing at 50% of my swing which feels so weird. I’ve made big strides since I got my golf net and mat in the basement. I want the backswing to stop at the picture I included but perhaps like some people I have that added second where the club crosses. Like I said, I’ve made great strides since I started seeing a new swing coach and he’s great and has my my swing so much more efficient already. I was curious what some of our better swingers do to know when to stop the backswing. Is it just repetition and knowing the positions?  If so then I have the whole winter to practice in my basement. 

Position I want. 

68DA312D-7A11-4EAE-9C4B-3E60718E2CAC.jpeg

Currently slightly crossing. Used to be worse as some of you have seen. 

C73DA3E3-A177-478C-A161-FD5D4ABAA701.jpeg

Edited by gsrjc
  • Like 1

Just practice 3/4 shots.  My guess is your 3/4 swing is what the top picture would look like.  

Edel PROTO

42 minutes ago, gsrjc said:

Yes it is. Just feels so weird like I’m not taking a full swing but pictures don’t lie. 

Your definition of "full swing" is skewed.  A full swing is when the hips stop turning not when the arms stop.  Notice how the only thing that changes between those two pictures is the length of your arm swing.  Your lower body is exactly the same which means your natural swing is not a 100% aka full swing it's actually 125% swing.  Basically your overswinging and not doing a full swing.  Hope that makes sense.

• Like 2

Edel PROTO

32 minutes ago, J13 said:

Your definition of "full swing" is skewed.  A full swing is when the hips stop turning not when the arms stop.  Notice how the only thing that changes between those two pictures is the length of your arm swing.  Your lower body is exactly the same which means your natural swing is not a 100% aka full swing it's actually 125% swing.  Basically your overswinging and not doing a full swing.  Hope that makes sense.

Ahh. Thanks for that clarification. I thought it was when the club was parallel. 

2 hours ago, gsrjc said:

Ahh. Thanks for that clarification. I thought it was when the club was parallel. 

Glad to help.  Once the hips stop your swing is done.  Anything more than that with arms is an overswing and creates problems.  Of course there's an exceptional to every rule but for 99% of players who aren't John Daly it's overswinging.

• Like 2

Edel PROTO

Testing, testing. 

I played ~6 holes of free-form golf with Tumor today.  I stepped up to the first tee without hitting any balls, and roasted the U500 down the middle.  I hit one into the wind that held it's head and carried better than expected on a par 3 a couple holes later.  Then I split the fairway with it on the worst golf hole on planet earth.  It definitely sets up and swings like an iron, not some weird in between club.  The traj was actually a bit higher than I expected as well, in a good way.  I definitely think it'll work on long 3s, and for the occasional second shot into a green.  An overall positive first impression, for sure.

I also got some solid cracks in with the 410 LST.  It feels great.  I'm not sure if that's the hot melt, the shaft, or combination of both.

• Like 3

Hey guys, thanks for the recommendations on places to get club work done. I went to 2nd swing and their club tech "Joe" did a great job on some iron shaft installs for me. To keep in the spirit, was hoping you guys could recommend any decent heated ranges for me? I have only gotten the chance to play 2 courses since moving here (Waverly and Blue Mash), and both had outdoor ranges. Looking for somewhere to get some winter practice in. Thanks!

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

1 hour ago, FAbb said:

Testing, testing. 

I played ~6 holes of free-form golf with Tumor today.  I stepped up to the first tee without hitting any balls, and roasted the U500 down the middle.  I hit one into the wind that held it's head and carried better than expected on a par 3 a couple holes later.  Then I split the fairway with it on the worst golf hole on planet earth.  It definitely sets up and swings like an iron, not some weird in between club.  The traj was actually a bit higher than I expected as well, in a good way.  I definitely think it'll work on long 3s, and for the occasional second shot into a green.  An overall positive first impression, for sure.

I also got some solid cracks in with the 410 LST.  It feels great.  I'm not sure if that's the hot melt, the shaft, or combination of both.

Love the G410LST. Such a great driver

• Like 1

Edel PROTO