MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

6 minutes ago, ScottHutch2 said:

Hey guys, thanks for the recommendations on places to get club work done. I went to 2nd swing and their club tech "Joe" did a great job on some iron shaft installs for me. To keep in the spirit, was hoping you guys could recommend any decent heated ranges for me? I have only gotten the chance to play 2 courses since moving here (Waverly and Blue Mash), and both had outdoor ranges. Looking for somewhere to get some winter practice in. Thanks!

The two heated ranges we usually go to are Northwest Golf Course in Wheaton and Olney Golf Park.  There's also a Top Golf up in Germantown.  I checked out there website, once but it looked way to pricey for just hitting balls.

Edited by davechen
  • Like 1
  • Replies 24.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• dcmidnight

• FAbb

• SullGolf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With great regret, I am posting today to inform you all that our friend GMen has passed away. His death was unexpected. I have no details and am awaiting info on funeral services and how best to send

Field Report: 2nd Swing Wilmington DE     After Christmas, my son uttered the words that every 90's shooter golfer longs to hear out of his progeny, in the hopes that they can live vica

This was my Version 2, 36 hours of fridge fermentation and a 75/25 mozzarella and provolone blend. I forgot I had a vented pan and this cooked up in about 7 minutes in a 425 degree convection cycle. 

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, ScottHutch2 said:

Hey guys, thanks for the recommendations on places to get club work done. I went to 2nd swing and their club tech "Joe" did a great job on some iron shaft installs for me. To keep in the spirit, was hoping you guys could recommend any decent heated ranges for me? I have only gotten the chance to play 2 courses since moving here (Waverly and Blue Mash), and both had outdoor ranges. Looking for somewhere to get some winter practice in. Thanks!

Olney golf range has heaters. It’s on Georgia avenue. 

• Like 1

Looks like Olney Golf Park is only about 20mins from me. thanks a lot guys!

Driver: Taylormade SIM2 Max - Accra TZ5 75 M5

3 Wood:  Taylormade SIM Ti - Accra TZ6 85 M5

Hybrid:  Taylormade DHY - Diamana Thump 100x

Irons:  Taylormade P770 4-PW  - KBS C Taper 125S+

Wedges: Taylormade MG2 51/10, 56/12, 60/10 - KBS 610 125S+

Putter: TM Spider X Chalk 

5 minutes ago, ScottHutch2 said:

Looks like Olney Golf Park is only about 20mins from me. thanks a lot guys!

They have a grass area for hitting as well as a short game and big putting green. They have memberships for the grass area which I use because I don’t like hitting off mats. If you don’t do a membership you can still go to the grass area but the range balls just cost more. They also have range ball cards depending on how much you might go. They are discounted rates on balls. Look for their Christmas sale coming up where they have discounts for 2021 grass and balls. 

oscar the grouch 10000 post GIF

Actually my left thumb has been f'd up for like 18 months now (shooting pain every third swing or so that quickly goes away and only happens when playing golf) so I've barely played in that time. I need to get it checked out but it seems silly to do right now. Either way, the most I could do is go to the range and even then, the short game areas are closed. LA courses won't book singles and you can only play with other members of your household and my roommate doesn't play.

Edited by jhbangas
  • Sad 1
21 hours ago, gsrjc said:

They have a grass area for hitting as well as a short game and big putting green. They have memberships for the grass area which I use because I don’t like hitting off mats. If you don’t do a membership you can still go to the grass area but the range balls just cost more. They also have range ball cards depending on how much you might go. They are discounted rates on balls. Look for their Christmas sale coming up where they have discounts for 2021 grass and balls. 

Thanks a lot for the solid info. You guys have been more than helpful. Much appreciated!

Driver: Taylormade SIM2 Max - Accra TZ5 75 M5

3 Wood:  Taylormade SIM Ti - Accra TZ6 85 M5

Hybrid:  Taylormade DHY - Diamana Thump 100x

Irons:  Taylormade P770 4-PW  - KBS C Taper 125S+

Wedges: Taylormade MG2 51/10, 56/12, 60/10 - KBS 610 125S+

Putter: TM Spider X Chalk 

Way to bait and switch, bangass. I got a good chuckle from the garbage gif, but by the time I came back later it looks like I’m laughing at your sad story about a busted thumb and covid restrictions making golf unattainable. I hope you figure out what’s going on with the thumb. Maybe by the time we’re climbing out of winter here, you’ll be able to golf more freely again as well. 

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, FAbb said:

Way to bait and switch, bangass. I got a good chuckle from the garbage gif, but by the time I came back later it looks like I’m laughing at your sad story about a busted thumb and covid restrictions making golf unattainable. I hope you figure out what’s going on with the thumb. Maybe by the time we’re climbing out of winter here, you’ll be able to golf more freely again as well. 

Oh I forgot to add that I found a patch of dry skin on my hand so it's 50-50 that I'm dying of skin cancer. Thanks for being a jerk, Fabb. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone heard anything about a newer place called "Five Iron Golf" in Baltimore?

They're the only premium fitter in the area with GCQuad to my knowledge, and they have a mighty impressive wall of shafts, and a build studio in house. 

Part of the place functions as an entertainment / simulator rental party space... but the upstairs seems to be a gearhead's dream 

7 hours ago, golfman1023 said:

They're the only premium fitter in the area with GCQuad to my knowledge, and they have a mighty impressive wall of shafts, and a build studio in house. 

Part of the place functions as an entertainment / simulator rental party space... but the upstairs seems to be a gearhead's dream 

Paging @GooseHook

15 hours ago, jhbangas said:

Also, WTF were you doing in Leavenworth, WA, three thousand miles from home, in the middle of a pandemic? (Leavenworth is a failed logging town turned faux-Bavarian village in the middle of the mountains in Washington -- it's as random as it sounds). Did you wander off again?

Daughter is working out there in Seattle. Day trip over the mountain to Leavenworth. Great views and a fun town. Also had a 18 hole putt-putt course that was all grass and fun to played.  Played Chambers Bay while out there as well   

9 hours ago, golfman1023 said:

Thanks @Fabb for the bat signal. 

Five Iron does indeed have all of that, I played in a few leagues over last winter. You basically reserve a sim bay for X hours. They have pretty decent camera/IR based sims in the bays but also do Trackman and GC Quad lessons and fittings. 

Great spot, if Matt Decker is still there I would recommend booking with him. The whole place is geared towards gearheads IMO, their "loaner" putter rack is full of Bettinardis.

"In Transit, Arriving Late"

Flash SZ 17°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

17 hours ago, jhbangas said:

Did you have flashbacks to the war and attempt to storm the Eagle's Nest with Easy Company again?

1985098978_Easy-Company-Eagle-nest(2).jpg.e4ffce7574fdc45409f4498c41a9910c.jpg

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

So with all the food talk we've had lately, in a related story, my wife is not a fan of my plan to hang on to two smokers. So if anyone thats in Northern VA is looking for a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5", let me know. Have about $100 worth of upgrades into it, including a couple bags of charcoal and a few bags of wood chunks. Cheap.

• Like 1

SIM Max 12* - HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5 / SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s 
SIM 2i UDI Diamana Thump / 5i Steelfiber 95s
P790 6,7i / P770 8i-GW Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM8 Raw 54* / 58* / 62*
Putter / TM TP5 Pix