MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Weekend golf was fun. Saturday morning we went off at 8:30 and you couldn't see a tree 50 yards from the tee, much less a ball. 

We played a game I called "Double Modified Alternate Shot Best Ball". 

Your foursome is your team. You all hit tee shots, then you pick two balls and play alternate shot in from them -- all 4 guys must play. Pick the teams best score. Your partner can change hole to hole. 

We hit a lot of shots close on the front, but couldn't make a putt. The game was close, but then Fabb hit a guy's long drive to 3 feet on one hole. Birdie. The next hole, I hit Fabb's drive to about 15 feet. Fabb hits the putt and starts angry walking to the hole, "didn't get it there". It dropped in over the edge. The next hole, par 5, our guy hits a BOMB. I team up with him and have a great lie and totally top my 4W. He's left with 200 yards in and hits it to 8 feet. 

Me : I'm going to look like a real A-hole here if I miss this. 

Fortunately banged it center-stick for the bird.

Our team won by a couple. Fabb had GPS which we needed the first few holes. You literally couldn't see the flag from 110 yards much less get it with a laser. 

It was still so foggy on the 5th tee, we're standing in the middle of the fairway and I hear the crack of a driver from behind us and I'm like, "I think they just hit" and we duck, and sure enough a ball comes in and lands right near us. I start yelling, but we're near I-70 and it's hard to hear back there. Sure enough, there's another crack of a driver and another ball comes flying in. We all start yelling and that got them to stop. 

One  crazy golf story from the weekend : go out on late Friday afternoon to get a few holes in and we cross back over the road to 13 tee and 13/14/15/16 are all packed. It's 4:30 so we're hosed. 13 tee is near 3 green so we decide to play back up 3 to the 2nd green. then we're going to play up 2 to the 1st green.

we hit good drives, then the shot into the 2nd green is a blind shot over the 3rd tee box. And, I think "I guess there could be someone down there, but no one is going to be on hole 2 10 minutes before sunset."

I smash 4 iron right over the tee box, start walking. . .sure enough, a cart comes driving up from the green to the tee. It was bag room guys getting a few holes in at the end of the day. Coulda killed 'em. The place where carts park/drive is literally right between the tee box and the green. 

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

DMASBB was a very fun format.  I was paired up with City, Tumor, and probably at top 3 player at the club.  We played well, which colors perceptions a bit, but I think we played the game well strategically.

There was a little less strategy in play off the tee early on, because we couldn't see a dang thing.  I hit driver instead of driving iron off the tee on 8, 10, 14, 16, because we had balls in play already.  There was definitely strategy in getting the player who was strong from a certain distance, or had a hot hand hitting the approach shots.

Tumor drove it really well overall, which was a huge asset.  It meant that one of the other 3 of us got to play from a drive in good position, and have Tumor hit the birdie putt.  That's a great combo.  He hit a number of great lags that were just critical.

It was also FAST.  I think we played in something like 3:20.

I wouldn't play it all the time, but 10/10 would bang again.

Edited by FAbb
  • Like 3

Glad to see tons of people getting out on the gram, two good weekend days down here. Able to get out for about 15 minutes of swings on Saturday after a cortisone shot in my shoulder last Tuesday. Anyone thats dealt with rotator cuff issues knows its an iffy thing - I played 8 rounds in 4 days in Bandon (no pain) and 4 rounds in Vegas (no pain) - but then if I reach the wrong way for my coffee in the morning, its excruciating pain right down to my elbow. So far I'd say its a pretty good improvement. Not perfect but definitely better. Hit wedges and a handful of drivers on Saturday, went back and just hit about 20 minutes of chipping and short irons yesterday. Figure with the weather this week I'll have 8-10 built in days of rest. Dr said in 6-8 weeks if it hasnt cleared up he can try another one.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

My shoulders are funny. 

I'm still doing quite a bit of yoga and my shoulders are strong, flexible and have a large range of motion, but there are definitely specific positions I can put my arm in where I get a little zinger up through the shoulder. Pain and weakness. I need to be careful with a couple yoga moves. 

So, I'm not saying I have something torn, but if I ever got it diagnosed (which I won't), I wouldn't be surprised. As long as they're good for golf, I'm not touching them. 

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Jr and I played Poolesville on Saturday and Worthington on Sunday.  

At Pooleville we played with a nice, middle aged Korean couple.  Jr impressed them by going driver off the deck on the par 5 #11.  Ended up 10 yards short of the green.  Sadly his pitch ran long and he had to grind for a par.  Jr shot an 82 including a triple.  I was garbage.

At Worthington we teed off at 2:30 and managed to get in 15 holes before dark.  We were waiting a bunch on the front 9, otherwise we might have been able to make it around.  

I had some nice pars and some "I'm in my pocket, I hate this game" holes. On hole 12 I got to the green in 2.  I think that was a first for me.  Just missed the birdie putt, but I'll take par any and every day on that hole.  Jr was 6 over through 15.  He hit 7 greens on the front, and the other two he hit but just jumped off.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TheCityGame said:

My shoulders are funny. 

I'm still doing quite a bit of yoga and my shoulders are strong, flexible and have a large range of motion, but there are definitely specific positions I can put my arm in where I get a little zinger up through the shoulder. Pain and weakness. I need to be careful with a couple yoga moves. 

So, I'm not saying I have something torn, but if I ever got it diagnosed (which I won't), I wouldn't be surprised. As long as they're good for golf, I'm not touching them. 

I've been doing yoga for it along with a program called the Throwers Ten. Lots of exercise band work and 2-3lb dumbbells. Sounds like you have a similar thing though. He did show me the moves to definitely avoid but he wants me on mostly rest and drugs for the next couple weeks. He said overhead presses or that motion is the worst.

I did get to hit the 790s on Saturday, man its a good looking mid iron. 770s probably wont be in for another few weeks but really intrigued at the idea of getting into a new set with shorter distances. Got to try the hot melted driver too, J13 did a sweet job, its perfect. I liked the head right around 202g when I had a little tape on it, took the tape off, sent it to him and it came back dead on at 202g. Sounds just a little more dead. Have a Ventus Black shaft coming this week to try something thats just a little lighter.

Been working for months on trying to hit the ball more left to right off the tee but after 40 years of being closed at address, setting up open its just....so awkward, its no good, just impossible for me to feel good over the ball. I usually end up faking it by opening my stance but my chest and shoulders are still clearly closed. But after repeated practice sessions, at some point I guess its gotten less uncomfortable and Saturday I sat there, swung as hard as I wanted and the ball would not go left for about a dozen straight balls. Wanted to cry. Between fixing up the shoulder and this, I already cannot wait for next tournament season to start.

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

A 40 second routine and then she fires the ball into the trees anyway?

No.

Her pre-shot routine becomes more routine after her alignment. On 11, Papp took four steps back away from the ball, took a half-swing, then took two full swings. She then took another three steps back and held her driver out in front of her. Finally, she walked back to the ball, paused for a few seconds and swung.  

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

4 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

I've been doing yoga for it along with a program called the Throwers Ten. Lots of exercise band work and 2-3lb dumbbells. Sounds like you have a similar thing though. He did show me the moves to definitely avoid but he wants me on mostly rest and drugs for the next couple weeks. He said overhead presses or that motion is the worst.

I did get to hit the 790s on Saturday, man its a good looking mid iron. 770s probably wont be in for another few weeks but really intrigued at the idea of getting into a new set with shorter distances. Got to try the hot melted driver too, J13 did a sweet job, its perfect. I liked the head right around 202g when I had a little tape on it, took the tape off, sent it to him and it came back dead on at 202g. Sounds just a little more dead. Have a Ventus Black shaft coming this week to try something thats just a little lighter.

Been working for months on trying to hit the ball more left to right off the tee but after 40 years of being closed at address, setting up open its just....so awkward, its no good, just impossible for me to feel good over the ball. I usually end up faking it by opening my stance but my chest and shoulders are still clearly closed. But after repeated practice sessions, at some point I guess its gotten less uncomfortable and Saturday I sat there, swung as hard as I wanted and the ball would not go left for about a dozen straight balls. Wanted to cry. Between fixing up the shoulder and this, I already cannot wait for next tournament season to start.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the newly hotmelted Sim 👍  I just hotmelted a Sim with 16g of melt for a customer haha.  MUTED isn't the word.  Feels and sounds like a wooden bat. He plays his driver at 43.5" hence the weight.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Saturday was pretty nuts, I've never played in fog that heavy before. It was just as crazy how quickly things turned, on the 10th tee the sun was instantly out and it felt like an early May round. The dew combined with some sort of green spray on the greens made them extremely slow for the first 7 or 8 holes. I guess that's probably it for the year, seeing as we're going to get a nice snow covering in a few days. 

The player-formerly-known-as Go Time fired a nice 69, I didn't even really notice it while keeping the group's score. Made some great birdies on tough holes and managed to avoid a couple of very close run-ins with the creek. 

Only took several holes to confirm that I cannot in fact play a set of irons with 115g stiff shafts. The ball fell out of its apex like a shot bird and often came up short. 

• Like 1

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

9 hours ago, TheCityGame said:

My shoulders are funny. 

Same with me right now. I know that I have shoulder impingement and need to keep up with my exercises so it doesn’t hurt. When it does its painful and lasts for a few weeks. 

I’ve heard conflicting things that military press with dumbbells is okay to work on shoulders. Can someone confirm?

Edited by gsrjc

10 minutes ago, SullGolf said:

Who's longer?  GoTime or Goose?

Driving the ball I mean.

Him, considering he's the only one who can make contact with the club face right now. 

Probably somewhat even. He's got a few bombs under his belt in the few rounds we've played together, and if we're both healthy and hitting drivers that fit us it might be a trade for trade type round. Irons are similar, but he's obviously playing at a much different level than me. 

Edited by GooseHook

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

5 hours ago, FAbb said:

https://golf.com/news/not-sure-seen-that-golfer-unusual-tee-shot-prep/

The using the line on the ball to aim the tee shot part of this isn't bad in itself, but the entirety of the routine - come on.

I make sure that when I hit on the tee box to have the titleist words above the tee so the club face will hit it. 

Thankfully the forecast track for snow has shifted pretty far inland in the last 12 hours or so.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

For those interested - pretty cool look at the new King Collins course in Nebraska. Might explain why they dropped ZB/TBC as a possible "project" - they are working on actually building a golf course.

http://jhartsellgolf.com/a-geological-oddity/

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

3 hours ago, gsrjc said:

Haven’t seen that guy in a while. 

He’s a good dude, I never played with him before until he joined CCMD. 

He had one of those days where it didn’t take a whole lot of work, made a bunch of GIRS and didn’t get himself out of position. Not an easy task.

I had an 85 with 3 tops and 3 three putts. More of a perseverance round.

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

1 minute ago, GooseHook said:

He’s a good dude, I never played with him before until he joined CCMD. 

He had one of those days where it didn’t take a whole lot of work, made a bunch of GIRS and didn’t get himself out of position. Not an easy task.

I had an 85 with 3 tops and 3 three putts. More of a perseverance round.

Agreed. He’s a good guy. I don’t think I saw him this entire year. 

2 minutes ago, gsrjc said:

Agreed. He’s a good guy. I don’t think I saw him this entire year. 

Tough to get out elsewhere in the COVID era, plus our club has a regular group and a lot of events.

same with me, it’s hard to justify the extra 50 mile drive sometimes for events when you’ve already paid dues.

I’m kind of glad our club embraced the 2020 suck and closed the range and 3 fairways for regrassing . Next year’s conditions should be good and post round beers might be a more relaxed occasion again.

• Like 1

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

4 hours ago, gsrjc said:

Same with me right now. I know that I have shoulder impingement and need to keep up with my exercises so it doesn’t hurt. When it does its painful and lasts for a few weeks. 

I’ve heard conflicting things that military press with dumbbells is okay to work on shoulders. Can someone confirm?

You should probably talk to a PT about certain exercises, but there are a bunch of great resistance band bundles you can buy to build the strength back up with low risk.

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

News is saying last year we got a total of 0.6" of snow for the whole winter. THATS my kind of winter lol. Looks like this storm is still pushing off to the North although Greg's area / Fredrick might still get 6" plus.

@gsrjc Check out the Throwers Ten, its a shoulder PT routine put out by the University of Florida, my therapist recommended it after my first go round with shoulder pain. Only need a 2 lb dumbbell and very light resistance band.

https://www.ortho.ufl.edu/sites/ortho.ufl.edu/files/handouts/Throwers-Ten.pdf

• Like 2

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

11 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

For those interested - pretty cool look at the new King Collins course in Nebraska. Might explain why they dropped ZB/TBC as a possible "project" - they are working on actually building a golf course.

http://jhartsellgolf.com/a-geological-oddity/

Need moar pics to go with that article!

2 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

@gsrjc Check out the Throwers Ten, its a shoulder PT routine put out by the University of Florida, my therapist recommended it after my first go round with shoulder pain. Only need a 2 lb dumbbell and very light resistance band.

https://www.ortho.ufl.edu/sites/ortho.ufl.edu/files/handouts/Throwers-Ten.pdf

Yup.  Those are most of the exercises I was given in my post-surgery PT. 

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee