MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

37 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Three tournament wins, shot even par with 5 birdies, had never played better.

18 minutes ago, TheCityGame said:

it seems like a person making 4 birdies in a round shouldn't be making 5 bogeys. 

2021 Goal List

Play more golf with City

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

SIM Max 12* - Rogue Elite Green 65x
Callaway Apex 18* / 20*
P790 6i / P770 5i-GW // Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM8 Raw 54* / 58* / 62*
Scotty Golo 5R 35" / ProV1X Left Dash

My 2021 goal is to shoot lower than 72 at EPP (I had 72 and 73 there this year.  I was -4 on the 16th tee for the 72 and blew it.)

My 2021 "intention" is to constantly remind myself to just be athletic when I'm golfing.  I've been focusing on that the last few weeks with good results.  Still have trouble with it when putting, but that's fixable.

I'm not getting new irons.  Will take for a loft/lie check and new grips.  I've never hit these ones better.  

• Like 2

I think there's definitely something to there being a mindset of going low.

Is there really anything you can pinpoint in those rounds where you made a bunch of birds but didn't break par, @TheCityGame?  It's easier to imagine that happening just based on percentages going ones way or not if say, you just made a bunch of lower percentage putts on one of those days.

You definitely possess all the skills to go low, and have a greater than average momentum saving (getting up and down, making some putts) ability for your level.

For the first time in years, I'm going in with no real goals for the year.  Just want to get out and play and enjoy it.

My only goal is to mentally accept where I'm at while playing less.  That gets in to the enjoyment factor.  This year I didn't play much, and didn't have enough reps to just go out and play well.  I didn't have much separate practice time, so when I didn't play well I was messing around and trying to fix things on the course and played worse and worse in a round.  If you're only playing 15 times a year, you can't go and get upset about not playing well.  It ruins the enjoyment of the already limited playing time.

• Like 2

Let me try to capture my goals for 2021. As a starting point, I started taking lessons at the end of Sept. and have been doing 1 a month and told myself I'll continue for a year and then reevaluate. My goal here is simply to hit the ball better and are focused purely on making my golf swing better. I played two of my best ball striking rounds of the year in the last week, so I'm seeing some progress and trying to avoid diverging from the path based on a youtube videos, IG post, etc. 

My second goal is simply to be a better putter. Focused on two things, speed control and ability to read greens. I also started working on this in late 2020 but plan is to continue for the year. Primarily using this as a way to use my time wisely when I'm on a practice green. I've got a few simple drills I work on for speed control and actively spending time working on my reads versus unfocused, random putting. 

Almost a bit to @SullGolf last post, beyond those two items, I just want to enjoy my time on the course. Hoping to get out more with the Hive groups, play in the Hive events, get back to Bethpage, and play with my dad in the member/guest which was canceled in 2020. 

Edited by XHoop24
  • Like 2

Srixon z785 9.5'
Ping G410 2 Hybrid
Ping G 3 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 4 Iron
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged - 5-GW
Titleist SM8 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT 11S

I don't really have any goals for the year either except try to play better and enjoy Bandon when we go.  @OCCantChip was nice enough to give me a copy of Dream Golf by Stephen Goodwin along with a Sheep Ranch beanie. I'm only about 25% through the book, but I'm really enjoying it.  Who knew I would be enthralled about reading about the permit process in Oregon?  

I do enjoy reading about Mike Keiser- who is self made millionaire, which is really cool, but the book tries to paint him as a everyday guy, as he still goes to Recycled Paper Greetings everyday, doesn't have a true office, etc.,  but then throws in things like :

(paraphrasing here)

"His lone perk that he enjoys with his money is his weekly trip to Bandon in his NetJets Citation X, the fastest jet in the fleet."

"He bought houses in two private courses in South Carolina, but then realized he didn't like the Weiskopf or Nicklaus design, so sold both."

• Like 2
Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

I read Dream Golf back in like 2012 and as I read it, I was like, "All right. I'm going."

Mike Keiser should have rented a helicopter and just dropped copies of that book over golf courses and I'm not even kidding. They should give that book away free with the purchase of a sleeve of balls like it's Golf Digest. 

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

49 minutes ago, Ocgolfrick said:

I don't really have any goals for the year either except try to play better and enjoy Bandon when we go.  @OCCantChip was nice enough to give me a copy of Dream Golf by Stephen Goodwin along with a Sheep Ranch beanie. I'm only about 25% through the book, but I'm really enjoying it.  Who knew I would be enthralled about reading about the permit process in Oregon?  

I do enjoy reading about Mike Keiser- who is self made millionaire, which is really cool, but the book tries to paint him as a everyday guy, as he still goes to Recycled Paper Greetings everyday, doesn't have a true office, etc.,  but then throws in things like :

(paraphrasing here)

"His lone perk that he enjoys with his money is his weekly trip to Bandon in his NetJets Citation X, the fastest jet in the fleet."

"He bought houses in two private courses in South Carolina, but then realized he didn't like the Weiskopf or Nicklaus design, so sold both."

I got "Dream Golf" for Christmas and just finished it.  It's a great book and I agree with @TheCityGame that it makes you want to go to Bandon.  I liked all the background on Bandon and the origin story, but it then the book kind of goes quickly through Pacific Dunes and Bandon Trails and barely talks about Old Mac.  Due to when it was published, Sheep Ranch is not included so they could do another revised edition and add details on Old Mac and Sheep Ranch.  

The book does make Mike Keiser out to be awesome and he does seem really genuine when you see him do interviews like the most recent NLU series.  Mike was also in the Navy so he earned additional street cred from me, not that he needs it.  🤣   

Edited by ALTSean

Dream Golf was excellent.

The NLU YouTube series on Bandon - with all the Mike Keiser and DMK clips - was 100x better.

And as someone that is not a fan of NLU - it should say something that I would admit that.

• Like 2

Callaway Apex 18* / 20*

2021 Golf Goals:

1. Drop 3 strokes off my handicap.  I dropped 6 strokes in 2020 after a mess of 2019 season and think I'm on the right track now so dropping 3 strokes in 2021 should be achievable.

2. Break 75.  I had several 77s in 2020 so I should be able to break 75 on a good day this year.

3. Play more events.  2020 put a damper on golf events, but I played in a few parent / child events with both my son and daughter as well as a couple Hive events.  

4. Prepare for Bandon in November.  Mentally, I'm trying to embrace the conditions here, even though they will be different than Bandon, and look at the cold and / or windy days as a challenge and not just a pain.  Physically, my game and swing are getting better and even though I walk 99% of here, I'm going to work on fitness so walking 36 a day for 3-4 days in a row at Bandon will be possible without the game suffering too much.

If you walk 99% of your rounds here, you will have no problems with conditioning in Bandon. I don't know what it is, adrenaline or something, but I can't recall ever feeling tired in our 8 days/4 rounds, even with the mental stress of all the fog we got.  I can't recall ever even thinking about it, except after round 8 when DC I both agreed we would have no problem playing another 36 the next day. The place is that exhilarating. 

• Like 3

SIM 2 Max 10/5*
Epic Flash SZ 15*

SpeedZone 19*
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend
SM7 52*
MD4 58*
Spider Tour CS

2 minutes ago, thechief16 said:

If you walk 99% of your rounds here, you will have no problems with conditioning in Bandon. I don't know what it is, adrenaline or something, but I can't recall ever feeling tired in our 8 days/4 rounds, even with the mental stress of all the fog we got.  I can't recall ever even thinking about it, except after round 8 when DC I both agreed we would have no problem playing another 36 the next day. The place is that exhilarating. 

That is good to hear.  I can see the adrenaline sustaining us for a few days and then just crashing on the plane ride home.  After hearing your guys stories and reading "Dream Golf," I need to pace myself for the next 11 months.  🤣

I think it also depends whether you have a caddie, and what your extracurricular activities are like.  Having a caddie lugging your crap around obviously helps.  I think it's easy to fall into a trap of thinking the terrain will be relatively flat, and that there won't be substantial transfers.  Both are false.  For extracurricular, assuming you're not drinking heavily, and getting adequate hours of sleep, I suspect you'll be fine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FAbb said:

I think it also depends whether you have a caddie, and what your extracurricular activities are like.  Having a caddie lugging your crap around obviously helps.  I think it's easy to fall into a trap of thinking the terrain will be relatively flat, and that there won't be substantial transfers.  Both are false.  For extracurricular, assuming you're not drinking heavily, and getting adequate hours of sleep, I suspect you'll be fine.

I plan on @Ocgolfrick tucking me into bed nightly at 9 pm while reading me bedtime stories about Nassaus. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FAbb said:

Good quantifier. I had no issues walking 36 x 4 because I had a caddie. I could not have done that carrying or pushing - no way. I think in my trip report I called them "sneaky elevation changes" - but there are enough of those out there along with a few decent transfers - that I could not have done that schlepping my own gear.

Edited by dcmidnight

Callaway Apex 18* / 20*

10 minutes ago, FAbb said:

This is true.  Caddies surely made a big difference, and moderation (however you define it) in extracurriculars will go a long way.  For me, a few beers and lights out by 11 was plenty.  Traveling with only one other person, and us both falling on the misanthropic end of the socialization scale, it was pretty easy.      

SIM 2 Max 10/5*
Epic Flash SZ 15*

SpeedZone 19*
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend
SM7 52*
MD4 58*
Spider Tour CS

Is Bandon topography similar to a UK course? And do the people that have played that much golf out there think you'd be ok walking with a push cart?

The reason I ask is that I'm doing a re-scheduled Scotland trip in 2021. 8 rounds in 6 days, all walking. Caddies or push carts are the options everywhere. I'm hoping to do 50 / 50 caddie / push cart split to save some cash. Caddies at the big times places like Carnoustie and St Andrews, push carts at the smaller places.

I walk with no problems here (80% of rounds), but I can't remember the last time I walked 3 days in a row thanks to real life. Don't think I've hiked 36 since I was a college student.

Greetings "threadziens" (is that still a thing?)

Happy New Year to all. This site looks completely different than the last time I checked in. Hope everyone is surviving the January golfing blues. If anyone wants in on my 2021 PGA One N Done pool, please follow the link below. $103 to join. PM me if you have any questions.

https://www.officefootballpool.com/pools.cfm?poolid=177825&p=2&pwd=8jk%40mt

With great regret, I am posting today to inform you all that our friend GMen has passed away. His death was unexpected. I have no details and am awaiting info on funeral services and how best to send condolences. PM me if you'd like that info when it becomes available.

GMen was a poster in one of the MD/VA/DC threads from way back and an original Member of The Hive GC from Year One. He was quick to laugh, generous in nature, and fun to have in your foursome. Loved his NY Giants, Marlboros, Yuengling and being on the water in his boat. He had stories. A hard-working, salt-of-the-earth man who was a machinist by trade. And, at the same time, a gentle giant. 

We only played a handful of times together over the years, but I count him as a friend, and I'll miss him.  RIP Tom.

_DSC2910.jpg

Screenshot_20210104-224748.png

_DSC2839.jpg

Edited by eagle1997
  • Like 3
  • Sad 15

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I played with Tom a handful of times over the years.  We were battle partners in the final edition of the WRX vs. DCGT Capitol Cup.  He was happy to show me around Mountain Branch, when I needed to venture up there for a practice round.  There were a couple other rounds, and pre/post round encounters at Hive events.  He created my ludicrous FrankenTyne putter experiment.  He was just a nice, laid back guy.  It's sad to hear of his passing, and I'm certain he will be missed by many members of The Hive that he crossed paths with.

• Like 3