MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

On 1/18/2021 at 10:38 AM, SullGolf said:

Got out with Domes yesterday at UMD.  Rolled to the first tee with no warmup and hit the fairway with the first ball I hit in 2 months.  Was downhill after that and I slapped it around to a 95.  I think I was mostly better on the back 9 with the exception that I couldn't get out of any bunkers.  Would have been 90ish if I had just gotten it out and 2 putted a couple times.

Played with another 2-some that was also walking, and I was home within 4 hours of our tee time.  Love me some winter golf.

We had a funny conversation that I'm walking a very fine line between "moocher" and "first alternate".  I played 17 times in 2020 and did not reserve a single tee time.  I might have made one at Worthington Manor, but it was with a larger group and I was just doing the mechanics of reserving rather than actually organizing.  2019 was like 5 years ago now, so I can't recall when I last made one.  For the most part it's just been that I'm unreliable and have jumped in on open spots when someone else drops.  Maybe 75% "first alternate", 25% "moocher".  But I like that it's a debatable topic.

To be fair, those bunkers hadn't been touched in weeks.

I'm all for funky bunkers, but when your ball is sitting in what looks like a model of the Mississippi River Delta, in January, it's tough to get too angry at your bunker play when you can't get out.

save for the bunkers, UMD is in great shape for January.  Greens were rolling nicely.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Pinecrest is my go to spot in the winter, in a normal offseason I'll probably hit 8-10 hours in there. Its $50 for the first hour, $30 for any hour after that. Full Trackman 4 setup with the range/practice options as well as 25-30 courses you can play. Tons of good beer/food options at the grill too.

How is the setup in the hitting bay? Is it possible for two people to share one if you spent an hour on courses, maybe chairs or a table to place beers while you're not swinging? 

56 minutes ago, golfday said:

How is the setup in the hitting bay? Is it possible for two people to share one if you spent an hour on courses, maybe chairs or a table to place beers while you're not swinging? 

Its a great setup, couch, chairs etc but I am pretty sure that currently they may be limiting it to one person.

SIM Max 12* - Rogue Elite Green 65x
Callaway Apex 18* / 20*
P790 6i / P770 5i-GW // Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM8 Raw 54* / 58* / 62*
Scotty Golo 5R 35" / ProV1X Left Dash

I went to Pinecreast twice last year (or the year before?) at DC's recommendation and would definitely recommend it as well.  Kind of a hike if you aren't already in Virginia, but worth a trip to use it for 2 hours.  Plus you can stop in Annandale on the way in/out and get some great food.

It has a couch and a small table with a chair or two.  I wouldn't want to share a COVID room with another person (it's fully enclosed with a door), but under normal conditions it's definitely comfortable for 4 guys to hang out and have some food/drinks.

Great report. Pretty cool fitting. 2 hours is thorough. He got set up with some great gear. Rogue irons and hybrid are obviously Tex approved and super easy to hit. It was nice hearing that the fitter didn't try to force a driver on him. The G30 he has is still a top notch driver. And, you can't beat a Ping putter. Trust me on that one - from someone who has had a few putters!

Spending the day with your son is pretty cool also. You'll get bumped down the totem pole as soon as he gets a whiff of a girls perfume. I wish my son had gotten into golf more. He only plays 5-6 times a year. He decided that playing hockey would get more girls 🙂

Edited by gregh729
  • Like 1

@Ocgolfrick  You know they say an angel gets their wing every time Callaway club are bought 😉

Awesome stuff brother! Glad you got a better cartner than Nerf. 

Let me know if you need anything to assist filling the bag, I have some wedges I can cut down for him if he would like some. 

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

@GooseHook Give that mailed stuff a few more days. 

TheCityDame mailed something to her dad on like December 7th and it just got there. 

I got some True Linkswear off eBay on December 14th.  It was dropped off at the post office with no other updates. On Monday, I contacted them on eBay. I was cool. I said, "I know the post office has been crazy for a month, but I'll have to ask for a refund pretty soon."

They were like, "ok, here's your refund. We'll deal with the post office."

Shoes came yesterday. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Had a couple USPS snafus like that although thankfully none still outstanding.

Decided to ship a driver head Tuesday morning, shipped it UPS Ground to Brooklyn, was $1 more than USPS. Got there yesterday.

UPS Ground for me from here on out.

Callaway Apex 18* / 20*

PSA for all the winter golfers, and not just my wispy brethren - I can not recommend purchasing a heated vest strongly enough.

I've typically played little golf during the winter, and only played here and there on days that were some combination of warm, sunny, and calm.  I would layer up with compression fit base layers, sweaters, and jackets.  I never felt like I could swing normally.  It was like all I could do was take choppy, punch shot swings.  That was a big reason I was hesitant to get out too much.  At some point, swinging like that too much crept into my "normal" swing.

Being out at the new club, with a good group that gets it in year-round, I was motivated to find a way to play more this winter.  I got the idea to try a heated vest from a thread on WRX about layering up in the cold.  I think I was ~$75 all-in for the vest, and power source (same type of brick as you'd use to charge your phone on the go).  It has been a complete game changer.  I'm not a warm person, but I'm able to wear very little underneath the heated vest and stay not just "warm enough" but really be cooking out there.  Most days, I've been able to wear just a loose long sleeve t-shirt and thin 1/4 zip underneath.  Twice, including yesterday (which featured VERY STONG winds), I had to swap the thin 1/4 zip with a lined sweater.  I am able to swing without any notable feelings of restriction.  It's been absolutely incredible.

• Like 3

Link to vest?

How heavy is the battery pack? I usually dont play enough cold-cold weather golf to consider it but for that price, maybe. Usually I put on a base layer, a quarter zip and either my puffy adidas vest or a Mizuno or FJ lined wind sweater.

• Like 1

Callaway Apex 18* / 20*

Vest - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FSNSJPB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Battery Pack - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZDXDG8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are a ton of different ones on Amazon, some of which include the power source.  I'm sure they're all comparable.  The one I bought does run small, as the reviews indicate.

The battery pack is pretty much like having a slightly thicker smartphone in the front-left pocket of the vest.

• Like 1

You're right, looks like there are a ton of different ones. Sheeeet for $40 or so I'd try this, lord knows I have enough battery packs kicking around the house.

As soon as I buy this, mortal lock its warm AF for the rest of the season. I bought an electric snowblower over two years ago and it literally has not snowed more than a dusting since I bought it.

Callaway Apex 18* / 20*

47 minutes ago, TheCityGame said:

@GooseHook Give that mailed stuff a few more days. 

TheCityDame mailed something to her dad on like December 7th and it just got there. 

I got some True Linkswear off eBay on December 14th.  It was dropped off at the post office with no other updates. On Monday, I contacted them on eBay. I was cool. I said, "I know the post office has been crazy for a month, but I'll have to ask for a refund pretty soon."

They were like, "ok, here's your refund. We'll deal with the post office."

Shoes came yesterday. 

I should have updated, the packages came the other day and the mgr of the branch emailed me.

Stuff has been getting much better for packages addressed to my house, the issue seems to be more with the big stuff I get mailed to my office. Instead of delivering from the Fed Hill PO (two blocks away) that zip manages all its packages from a location in Glen Burnie. It's really dumb but things find their way eventually. 

I shipped out a couple items Priority after Christmas and they were taking only slightly longer than usual. I had a box make it to Sacramento in four business days.

• Like 1

SIM2 9*, Diamana ZF 70TX

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

Flash SZ 18°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

On winter gear, I was lamenting the poor performance of my chemical hand warmers.  I have all these CostCo pairs that are about $1 each, and it's a 50/50 shot whether they work or not.   I went through 2 pairs on Sunday, and neither lasted 9 holes before they went ice cold.  So I spent $2 and had cold hands.  I would have paid $10 for some toasty warm hands that round.

I have some battery-powered handwarmers somewhere in the house, but it's one of those gadgets that doesn't get used enough to stay in the bag.  I leave it in the bag and the battery dies, or I charge it and forget to put it in the bag.  I need some Gucci chemical handwarmers that I can leave in my bag that always work well.

Sully, are they old? Before I went to Bandon I noticed my box of hand warmers (bought the big box from Amazon) werent working at all anymore - but it turns out they had expired maybe a year before that. Bought a new box - no problems. They were actually still warm at the end of the day.

Callaway Apex 18* / 20*

Have we forgotten the best sweater ever... Mizuno wind lite (not sure what its called today)

• Like 3

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Don't cheap out on bootleg brand hand warmers.  Buy HotHands.  They probably have some cancer-causing chemicals in them, but I'll be my hands stay warm AF when I use them.

They also work best if you keep them in a warm place.  If you keep them in uninsulated pants pockets, they're gonna get cold no matter what.  I keep mine in my vest pockets.

• Like 1

Was just about to post this before Fabbo, HotHands big pack from Amazon, $24 for 40 pairs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ZF4OA/

Callaway Apex 18* / 20*

14 hours ago, FAbb said:

PSA for all the winter golfers, and not just my wispy brethren - I can not recommend purchasing a heated vest strongly enough.

I've typically played little golf during the winter, and only played here and there on days that were some combination of warm, sunny, and calm.  I would layer up with compression fit base layers, sweaters, and jackets.  I never felt like I could swing normally.  It was like all I could do was take choppy, punch shot swings.  That was a big reason I was hesitant to get out too much.  At some point, swinging like that too much crept into my "normal" swing.

Being out at the new club, with a good group that gets it in year-round, I was motivated to find a way to play more this winter.  I got the idea to try a heated vest from a thread on WRX about layering up in the cold.  I think I was ~$75 all-in for the vest, and power source (same type of brick as you'd use to charge your phone on the go).  It has been a complete game changer.  I'm not a warm person, but I'm able to wear very little underneath the heated vest and stay not just "warm enough" but really be cooking out there.  Most days, I've been able to wear just a loose long sleeve t-shirt and thin 1/4 zip underneath.  Twice, including yesterday (which featured VERY STONG winds), I had to swap the thin 1/4 zip with a lined sweater.  I am able to swing without any notable feelings of restriction.  It's been absolutely incredible.

I got those Eddie Bauer pro lined pants after your recommendation and they are great. Will look into this vest now too. 

Golf question I'm currently kind of laboring over and cant seem to make headway on, any opinions? 

Debating between two sets of irons that are similar enough, but also different enough to not be a wash (mainly one is a bit smaller than the other via topline and blade length).  Head to head, they perform closely enough to where choosing one over the other is minutia.  I'm having decision paralysis, and can't seem to make headway on the "right" decision and was wondering what kind of things push a set over the finish line for others?  Or suggestions of aspects of importance long term that may not immediately present themselves?  

G400 LST | SLDR MINI |PXG 0317x  

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

Fourteen RM Tour | TM Hi-Toe

Toulon Atlanta
WITB

31 minutes ago, bubbagump said:

Golf question I'm currently kind of laboring over and cant seem to make headway on, any opinions? 

Debating between two sets of irons that are similar enough, but also different enough to not be a wash (mainly one is a bit smaller than the other via topline and blade length).  Head to head, they perform closely enough to where choosing one over the other is minutia.  I'm having decision paralysis, and can't seem to make headway on the "right" decision and was wondering what kind of things push a set over the finish line for others?  Or suggestions of aspects of importance long term that may not immediately present themselves?  

Go with the iron that looks the best to your eye.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max LS / Fuji Ventus Black 7X                  

Callaway Epic Speed 15* / Fuji Ventus Blue 8X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 50*,54*,60* / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Odyssey Versa #6