MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

2 hours ago, Ocgolfrick said:

Every great partnership has a "big ideas" guy and a guy who actually handles all the details.  Sherlock Holmes had Watson. Washington had Jefferson.  Stalin had Trotsky.  

And now I- I have @Sterling_247.

The Big Idea:  Let's have a Hive Event at Royal New Kent. Heck, let's make it 36 holes. Let's get crazy and have an option to play another Strantz design- Stonehouse the next day.  And to top it all of, let's try to do that drafting of partners we always talk about- make somebody get that "Fat Kid picked last for kickball" treatment.

@Sterling_247:  OkeyDokey.

So OcGolfRick and Sterling247 are proud to bring you:  

The Mike Strantz Experience.  

36 holes Saturday May 29th

20 spots available

Bonus Sunday Round at Stonehouse May 30th 8 spots available.  

Signups available now! Details on the page.  Anything else ask away!

https://sites.google.com/view/thehivegolfclub/unofficial-event-rnk?authuser=0

That sounds like a fun time.  Id love to be able to do that.

I've played both course 10 or so years ago. Thankfully RNK has different owners from when I played. They put zero money back in. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 8:40 PM, aiyyer said:

Royal New Kent was inspired by Royal County Down in Northern Ireland and is draped in fescue and dotted with the kind of bunkers that require Sherpa porters to find your way home again”.

Mr. Tex also insisted on walking the course and most of my first round last year was spent trying to find him in the thorny vegetation!! Crazy course to walk with some  ridiculous transfers. Much belated respect. 
I also feel like extensive waste bunkers are not really native or conducive to the Virginia location though. There are enough crazy bunkers to make up for it though - 10 for example. Every par 5 at RNK is great. 
From a design standpoint -  Caledonia, Stonehouse, RNK, True Blue, Tobacco, Tot Hill, was the chronological order of courses in his design career. Got lucky last year and played Tobacco, RNK, True Blue and Caledonia and am a huge Stranz fan. It’s a cliche but his courses are really American whatever that means. A big rake in the butt to good old Ross next door at #2.
Stranz also reminds me of a golf Quentin Tarantino. Got his design language figured out early (Pulp Fiction) and then spent the rest of his short career trying to outstranz Stranz.

Caledonia is unique, compact and visually pretty but both RNK and True Blue, I think, are better examples of his design idiom. True Blue is sensationally great (good score there!) and has all the Tobacco stuff without going ZZTop overboard and is my favorite Stranz course.

Got carried away. 

Took me 4 to get out of a bunker on #4 in the first round en route to a 98. Bettered that by 11 shots in the 2nd round. It really is a mind effer of a course. 

I personally didn’t care for the first par 5 around the pond. But the others were phenomenal. The only hole I truly disliked was 16 though. 

• Like 1

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

On 2/16/2021 at 8:28 AM, ALTSean said:

With a 3 day weekend for Presidents' Day, I went out late afternoon yesterday just to chip and putt out of principal.  Saturday and Sunday were not playable and our courses were closed until at least mid afternoon and even then, I think they only opened up a couple holes.  Today's weather looks decent, but this job thing may get in the way.  

If you need some golf reading material to pass the time not playing, check out Tom Coyne's books if you have not already.  I just finished "A Course Called Ireland" and started "A Course Called Scotland."  They are a good mix of golf, personal stories, some history, and more golf.  The mere fact that he was able to go on a 4 month Irish golf trip while married and then a 2 month Scotland golf trip while married with kids, is in itself amazing.  

Just in time for ‘A course called America’ due out in May!!

• Like 2

[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

5 minutes ago, ALTSean said:

I plan to get it when it comes out!

Have you read “Ireland” and “Scotland?”

Yes to both. And Paper Tiger, I really enjoy Coyne’s style. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, willboyrd said:

Yes to both. And Paper Tiger, I really enjoy Coyne’s style. 

I’ll check out “Paper Tiger” once I finish “Scotland.”  He’s a good writer and he came across well and likable playing with the NLU guys in their Ireland series.   I’d rather tee it up with him than the NLU bros.  🤣

• Like 1

Yup, that’s what got me started reading them. 

• Like 1

https://www.golfwrx.com/648285/usga-announces-amateurs-can-accept-sponsorship-money-and-more-changes/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Latest&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=unused

Which company should each Hiver sign with?  Marshall with Louisville Golf?  Vinay with Bridgestone?  This is also the first time posting in more than a month, so I will likely not see your answers.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, bandondunes54 said:

https://www.golfwrx.com/648285/usga-announces-amateurs-can-accept-sponsorship-money-and-more-changes/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Latest&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=unused

Which company should each Hiver sign with?  Marshall with Louisville Golf?  Vinay with Bridgestone?  This is also the first time posting in more than a month, so I will likely not see your answers.  

@eagle1997 with Macallan

@Ocgolfrick with the Orange Whip

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, SullGolf said:

What was the issue that the new USGA amateur rule is supposed to solve?  Were people losing amateur status because of money from being an "influencer"? 

That’s the first thing I thought of. 

Days like these are like a specially designed form of torture. Sunny and warm, but all the ranges and courses are covered in snow and most are closed. Fortunately the Pine Ridge range was open, even though they probably shouldn't be. I don't know how one would operate a snow covered range that's completely saturated. 

SIM2 8*, Diamana ZF 70TX

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

Flash SZ 18°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

Burke Lake was open today and I'm not really sure how. Any ball hit with a wedge went right into the ground...it cant be economically sound to keep the range open and lose that many balls. But what do I care, I'm selfish.

First time really hitting balls in going on three months, been waiting to get out there since last week when the forecast came out. Just so happy to be out and to mostly be pain free, definitely a little tentative at first but shoulder felt great after I got loose. Didn't want to push it so I hit for about an hour and then rolled out.

Definitely going to have to get into the simulator do do a little driver testing and yardage checks with the new irons - wind was blowing pretty hard out there today so it wasn't really a yardage-check kind of day. Didnt give one F though.

• Like 2

SIM Max 12* - Rogue Elite Green 65x
Callaway Apex 18* / 20*
P790 6i / P770 5i-GW // Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM8 Raw 54* / 58* / 62*
Scotty Golo 5R 35" / ProV1X Left Dash

16 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Burke Lake was open today and I'm not really sure how. Any ball hit with a wedge went right into the ground...it cant be economically sound to keep the range open and lose that many balls. But what do I care, I'm selfish.

First time really hitting balls in going on three months, been waiting to get out there since last week when the forecast came out. Just so happy to be out and to mostly be pain free, definitely a little tentative at first but shoulder felt great after I got loose. Didn't want to push it so I hit for about an hour and then rolled out.

Definitely going to have to get into the simulator do do a little driver testing and yardage checks with the new irons - wind was blowing pretty hard out there today so it wasn't really a yardage-check kind of day. Didnt give one F though.

Nice.  I'm in the sim on Sunday for a little tune up work.  Sadly, SIM2Max wont arrive until Monday.  

Edited by thechief16

SIM 2 Max 10/5*
Epic Flash SZ 15*

SpeedZone 19*
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend
SM7 52*
MD4 58*
Spider Tour CS

16 minutes ago, gregh729 said:

I am going to try to get out next Tuesday or Thursday, or both. Haven't touched a club since Veteran's Day in November

Same and same.

Next Tuesday, 65*...

SIM Max 12* - Rogue Elite Green 65x
Callaway Apex 18* / 20*
P790 6i / P770 5i-GW // Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM8 Raw 54* / 58* / 62*
Scotty Golo 5R 35" / ProV1X Left Dash

I played my first round in a while on Saturday, but it was rough.  Between the rust from not playing and the soggy conditions, it was definitely winter golf.  It was good to be out there and the weather was fine once the rained stopped, but I need to get some reps in.  The next 10 days look a lot better than February so hopefully we're out of the woods.

Currently trying to complete my home practice set-up by the weekend - have all the components:

- Flightscope Mevo
- 4'x5' decent quality mat

- Net

Just need to put the base down for the foundation under the mat. Gravel, sand, and pavers. I know none of these PLMs are extremely accurate, especially into a Net (although I will have ample space to maximize amount of flight before hitting the net), but I figure (read: hopeful lol) it'll atleast be a consistent from shot to shot to use as a tool to measure change/improvement as I work on my swing. 

Big goals this year is to neutralize my grip slightly and shallow out AoA. My AoA is just stupid steep and it's really costing me from both a distance and dispersion standpoint. 

Edited by willboyrd
  • Like 4

Hey guys, looks like I made it through my first winter in MD. Weather looks good for next week and I'm excited to start getting out there to some new courses. Last year I only played Waverly Woods, Blue Mash, and Hobbits Glen. I hear all of the nice courses are out toward Frederick, any recommendations on some good tracks to check out this year? What are some of you guys' favorite public/Semi-Private courses? cheers

Driver: Titleist TSi3 - Hzrdus Black 6x

3 Wood:  Titleist TSi2- Accra TZ5 75 M5

5 Wood: Sim2 Max - Ventus Blue 7s

Irons:  Taylormade P770 4-PW  - KBS $Taper HT 125

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F, MG3 54.13, 58.12 - DG S400 Ti

Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Ten tour lined  

45 minutes ago, ScottHutch2 said:

Hey guys, looks like I made it through my first winter in MD. Weather looks good for next week and I'm excited to start getting out there to some new courses. Last year I only played Waverly Woods, Blue Mash, and Hobbits Glen. I hear all of the nice courses are out toward Frederick, any recommendations on some good tracks to check out this year? What are some of you guys' favorite public/Semi-Private courses? cheers

Worthington Manor and whiskey Creek , Little Bennett and PB Dye. All are within a few miles of each other. A little further out are Maryland National and Musket Ridge. Still in Frederick however. 

Edited by mizuno player
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, mizuno player said:

Worthington Manor and whiskey Creek , Little Bennett and PB Dye. All are within a few miles of each other. A little further out are Maryland National and Musket Ridge. Still in Frederick however. 

I've heard a lot about Whiskey Creek and Worthington, but not much about the others. Glad I asked, thanks a lot. I am excited to start exploring some more courses. Moving to a new state during a pandemic isn't great for making friends so I come here for all my golf related questions haha. thanks a lot

11 minutes ago, ScottHutch2 said:

I've heard a lot about Whiskey Creek and Worthington, but not much about the others. Glad I asked, thanks a lot. I am excited to start exploring some more courses. Moving to a new state during a pandemic isn't great for making friends so I come here for all my golf related questions haha. thanks a lot

Just my .02. Worthington, Whiskey and MD National are the best of the bunch. Again my opinion  Musket is over priced. I'm lucky I live within 10-15 minutes of Whiskey and Worthington. 

I've not played with anyone from this thread but all they all seem like a good bunch. 

4 minutes ago, mizuno player said:

Just my .02. Worthington, Whiskey and MD National are the best of the bunch. Again my opinion  Musket is over priced. I'm lucky I live within 10-15 minutes of Whiskey and Worthington. 

I've not played with anyone from this thread but all they all seem like a good bunch. 

Noted, thank you. I'm sure I will give them all a try this year. I have met a few cool people playing as a single last season. Think I'm going to try joining a local mens league this year, but on weekends I like exploring new areas and new courses so I appreciate the input.