MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Oh and admittedly @dcmidnight, I did not bother with the "official" 2021 Masters comentary thread. I may not be a regular here any longer, but I'm fairly certain the assinine bickering in those threads hasn't changed. 

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

6 minutes ago, Puppetmaster said:

While I'm logged into WRX, I should go find a few threads to post "I'M IN!" for old times... 

Mad respect to my man @Puppetmaster.  The only person I know who is level freaking 50 in Pokemon Go.  That is unimaginable.  I don't know that I'll ever get there.  So that must be where all your GolfWRX energy is going.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, davechen said:

Mad respect to my man @Puppetmaster.  The only person I know who is level freaking 50 in Pokemon Go.  That is unimaginable.  I don't know that I'll ever get there.  So that must be where all your GolfWRX energy is going.

Be careful, it's a cult. Gaming happened because I couldn't play golf, not because I replaced golf lol. Always been a fan of game franchises with some history. Played lots of old school Mario Kart until our N64 breathed its last, and can't quite get into the new versions.

Things go in waves for me, doing lots more hiking and biking with the family now, so that will be the current thing. I thought I spent a lot of money on clubs, but between upgrading/updating bikes, getting a hitch, bike rack, etc. that was a lot of spending in a short time. Once I learn more about bike components and some DIY though, hopefully that will help reduce the costs. However, I can also see why people have multiple bikes.... 

• Like 1

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

28 minutes ago, Puppetmaster said:

Oh and admittedly @dcmidnight, I did not bother with the "official" 2021 Masters comentary thread. I may not be a regular here any longer, but I'm fairly certain the assinine bickering in those threads hasn't changed. 

I haven't posted in one of those tourney threads in probably 10 yrs - unless I get asked to shut it down once the asinine bickering gets out of hand counts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

41 minutes ago, Puppetmaster said:

And wrong, my shortcut to the BST still works... 

Lets be honest, thats all that matters...

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

1 hour ago, TerpInTime said:

Size of teeth matter? Smaller is better I assume? Figured a hacksaw would work, but I was worried about the splintering.

Just to be clear, use a power chop saw, not a hand hacksaw, for a far cleaner cut and less splintering.  I suspect a dremel w/ cutting wheel would work as well. As Tex said, tape is key.

• Like 1

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

1 hour ago, XHoop24 said:

Has anyone on the thread moved into a 2021 driver release. Thinking SIM2, Epic Speed/Max LS, G425, TSi2/3, etc. Curious what the feedback has been on the new line from the threadizens. 

I have gotten really good results with the SIM2 Max (coming from M5).  

• Like 2

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

18 minutes ago, thechief16 said:

Just to be clear, use a power chop saw, not a hand hacksaw, for a far cleaner cut and less splintering.  I suspect a dremel w/ cutting wheel would work as well. As Tex said, tape is key.

To be clear they both work very well and depends on what hacksaw you have. The finer teeth the better 

Heck a jigsaw works just as good too 

Edited by misplacedtexan83

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

2 hours ago, XHoop24 said:

Has anyone on the thread moved into a 2021 driver release. Thinking SIM2, Epic Speed/Max LS, G425, TSi2/3, etc. Curious what the feedback has been on the new line from the threadizens. 

didn't I see you post that you bought two different SIM2 heads?

My plan is to switch eventually to SIM2, since the head is less fade biased and has a taller face with supposedly more forgiveness. I would not be planning to switch if I held onto the SIM Max head I used last summer.

• Like 1

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Yeah dont sleep on the SimMax, can probably find some decent deals on it right now.

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

2 hours ago, GooseHook said:

didn't I see you post that you bought two different SIM2 heads?

My plan is to switch eventually to SIM2, since the head is less fade biased and has a taller face with supposedly more forgiveness. I would not be planning to switch if I held onto the SIM Max head I used last summer.

Yeah, I ordered both when GG had the bug and you could get a free shaft upgrade. I picked expensive shafts to make sure I could get my money out of them and both were absolutely awful fits so I moved on quickly.  I think there is likely something that could work in the SIM2 non max side if I had a bit more loft on it, but I didn't feel like chasing it at that point.

• Like 1

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

4 hours ago, davechen said:

Pretty good golf weekend.  

Saturday played in the Hive psuedo event.  Our team was eagles, domes and fonger.  We probably came in DFL, but many shiggles were had.  I almost made it around on 1 ball.  Til we all went in the drink on 17.  Dammit!

Sunday played with the Argyle bros.  I went bogie, triple, triple and stopped keeping score.  Actually had some pretty good holes after that.  After a soggy and cloudy start, it turned into a gorgeous day.  The post round hang was way cool, drinking an IPA and splitting some tendies with Junior.

The pro shop was having a used club thing, where you could get shop credit for trading in clubs.  I took a couple drivers (Ping G30 and Mizuno JPX 900) to see what they were worth.  100 and 77 bucks, respectively.  Sold!  The older club was worth more, but Pings do hold their value more, and the G30 is a classic.

And then we watched the masters.  Hideki hanging tough was awesome.  Xander going in the drink, no so much.  Hideki's caddy bowing to Augusta was so ... I can't even describe it. Beautiful, amazing, heartwarming, meaningful.

@davechen out here living his best life....that is a solid weekend. Country club life is treating this man very well. 

• Like 3

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

Just now, XHoop24 said:

Yeah, I ordered both when GG had the bug and you could get a free shaft upgrade. I picked expensive shafts to make sure I could get my money out of them and both were absolutely awful fits so I moved on quickly.  I think there is likely something that could work in the SIM2 non max side if I had a bit more loft on it, but I didn't feel like chasing it at that point.

Ahh, well done. 

These heads are in kind of awkward backorder limbo depending on the loft you get, and it's about to be demo day season. It wouldn't hurt to go hit all the lofts in the all the heads at a demo or 2nd Swing etc. 

Our shop has a few in and they really look great. I'm sick of looking down at how shallow the SIM is and it sounds like a nerfed baseball bat. 

• Like 1

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Ordering is weird right now on most Oems. Ping has been running like 20-30 weeks on average. 

protos F4

1 hour ago, misplacedtexan83 said:

Ordering is weird right now on most Oems. Ping has been running like 20-30 weeks on average. 

That is absolutely nuts. Basically if you order now, the fall releases might beat it!

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

7 hours ago, XHoop24 said:

Just got fitted into G425 max. No other head worked for me to keep spin down and tried all different shafts. In the end trusty Nemesys shaft still works just needed a new head. Hopefully I don’t get it at the end of the year though as Tex suggests for Ping. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GooseHook said:

That is absolutely nuts. Basically if you order now, the fall releases might beat it!

If worldwide shipping/manufacturing issues persist, fall releases arent going to be magically available either.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

9 hours ago, gsrjc said:

Just got fitted into G425 max. No other head worked for me to keep spin down and tried all different shafts. In the end trusty Nemesys shaft still works just needed a new head. Hopefully I don’t get it at the end of the year though as Tex suggests for Ping. 

Just go buy a 425 Max off the rack.  Stock for most clubs seems totally fine in stores.

Buying used in store or buying off the rack is probably the best solution right now. I have got a bunch of stuff that is starting to pile up for my next trip to Second Swing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I know an internal email for us said.. custom orders are 5-7 days but stock orders were 2-3 weeks. 

• Like 1

protos F4

What's the gist of the Decade approach?

A few years ago I used GameGolf pretty extensively for a few months.  My 7 iron was a "150 club" on good strikes, but a "140 club" on average and rarely over 150 even when I nuked it.  That was a big eye opener for me in terms of what club I should be hitting.  I now typically err toward extra club unless the pin is way back.  It really should have been brain dead obvious that I was rarely missing long, but it wasn't until I saw the data staring at me that it sunk in for me.  If I had someone Shotlinking every shot I made I'm sure there would be a half dozen other "obvious" things that would stand out like a sore thumb.

I’m still in the early stages of learning Decade principles. 

It’s essentially simplifying your approach to golf shots as much as possible. Letting stock shots be 99.9% of your shots. 

Letting your expectations be driven by realistic strokes gained data of your peer group. 

Target selection based on overlaying your shot pattern to the hole your playing, taking into account trouble. 

• Like 1

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

18 hours ago, willboyrd said:

Target selection based on overlaying your shot pattern to the hole your playing, taking into account trouble. 

I think that's where better data would help me the most.  I know I'm missing right, but not the distribution of how far how often with each club.  When I had game golf I got a good feel of short/long distribution by club, but nothing in terms of left/right distribution.  I'd need a lot of trackman data to figure that out.

IMO GameGolf had terrible basic data, sometimes it was way too confusing even for a data person to figure out. Most of the time their data never added up to 100%. IIRC say a shot missed short right, it would count it as one or the other - or maybe it was both. Either way, the percentages never added up to 100. It was never possible to say look at right or left or short or long - it was all sort of clumped together.

There was so much promise there but it just never panned out. I imagine they had an S-load of raw data in the backend but they never bothered really building a good GUI or customizable front end with even the very basic of filters.

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

3 hours ago, SullGolf said:

I think that's where better data would help me the most.  I know I'm missing right, but not the distribution of how far how often with each club.  When I had game golf I got a good feel of short/long distribution by club, but nothing in terms of left/right distribution.  I'd need a lot of trackman data to figure that out.

Outdoor on GCQUAD would be best because you could get exact dispersion and launch data along with club/strike data but he’s a big proponent of using satellites like google earth to help determine variance. Using google earth to find landmarks for roughly 50 yard wide cone down range like 240 yards for my driver then aim in the middle and start working out your shot pattern. Decade also collects data across users in different peer groups for average ‘shot patterns’.  

A big key here IMO is bringing a level of intentionality and consistency to your approach as well as a recalibration of expectations to bring them more in line with reality. 

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Just got a crazy good offer in my inbox today. Generally I am more worried about my dispersion, but anything to help my length off the tee. Just not sure why the dudes wife had to tag along.

offer.png

Edit to say, with my return to the thread, I'll keep it golf related. But the title and lede of this was just too well done.

Edited by TerpInTime
speeling
  • Like 4