MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

1 minute ago, Puppetmaster said:

You had me at "whipped butter".

Just kidding. 

Not really. 

Pierce's has been a regular stop for me whenever I'm close, but it's kinda hit or miss for me. Overall I've always enjoyed it, I just feel like some meals/meats have been better than others. I'll still go though, I like enough. The hush puppies and greens alone are worth it lol. 

The Cheese Shop is always solid, and there's a place across there with a good variety of roasted nuts... 

Its MIGHT have been house made whipped butter- it went first off the board for sure.  I was on vacation- let those arteries harden! 

Funny thing about the marmalade- it came in a little cube on this cutting board.  Did you ever see "Life" with Ryan Reynolds and Jake Gyllenhall?  There was this small alien they're trying to kill and it keeps slipping away?  That was the marmalade.  My wife and I kept trying to stab it with a knife and fork and it kept sliding away like a hockey puck on ice.  We both got a miniscule amount on the biscuits, but the microscopic taste confirmed it was great.

Also, the Maitre'ds handlebar mustache is not to be missed.  Its perfect.

• Haha 2
Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

We went to the Amber Ox two years ago when we were in Williamsburg.  I do remember the burger being solid, but don't remember the beer so it was by definition, not memorable.  I also remember it being hot outside and they give you like tiny 3 oz water glasses and I had to keep bugging the waiter for more water.  #yelpwrx  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ALTSean said:

We went to the Amber Ox two years ago when we were in Williamsburg.  I do remember the burger being solid, but don't remember the beer so it was by definition, not memorable.  I also remember it being hot outside and they give you like tiny 3 oz water glasses and I had to keep bugging the waiter for more water.  #yelpwrx  

In a sign of progress, I am happy to report that the Amber Ox now provides you a carafe of water to refill those very same 3 0z water glasses they gave you- so you are constantly grabbing this glass bottle slick with condensation as you fill up your tiny glass for the 12th time.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Suck it, Ceejay.

@ALTSean @Ocgolfrick so sort of the opposite of TGIFridays/Chilis/Ruby Tuesdays/insert any chain here, where they give you those 30 oz red plastic cups with 80% ice 20% water...  

• Like 2

Cobra King Ltd, Speeder TS 6.2
Callaway BBA 816, Accra CS1 80
Adams A12, Diamana Thump
TM TP MC/MB, KBS Tour 
Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*, DG S400
Ping Anser TR

Very cool to see hidden gems like that. Also, that ballwasher looks like it could take half your hand off if you're not careful. 

I thought Postage Stamp might be inspired by Royal Troon, but it's actually pretty different. "AO water glass" might be an apt name, as you say. 

https://www.royaltroon.co.uk/the-courses/old-course/hole-8-postage-stamp/

• Like 1

Cobra King Ltd, Speeder TS 6.2
Callaway BBA 816, Accra CS1 80
Adams A12, Diamana Thump
TM TP MC/MB, KBS Tour 
Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*, DG S400
Ping Anser TR

11 hours ago, Ocgolfrick said:

Field Report: Royal New Kent and Golden Horseshoe - Green

After monitoring the weather most of the week, I had to cancel the ORIGINAL Unofficial Hive Event at Royal New Kent on Thursday Afternoon.  I just couldn't see making the day trippers travel 3 hours down in the rain, play 36, then travel 3 hours back in what was forecasted to be an all day rain.  Its possible that the Golf Gods were angry that another unnamed IMITATION Unofficial Hive Event stole the good weather for May, but that is pure speculation.

So that left the 3 morons who booked hotels:  Me, @aiyyer and @bandondunes54.  As it was too late to cancel, we decided than rain be damned, we were going to tee it up!

*I'm severely allergic to lightning though, so if it was bad I was out of there.

Pull in the parking lot and see BandonDunes, along with 3 guys from Gaithersburg who looked as glum as anyone I ever see play golf.  It was looking rather bleak.  

20210529_080342.jpg.c9251ca866e247324b915dc15cce4969.jpg

The view of the 18th at RNK from Clubhouse.

Did get to meet this little fella on the putting green:

20210529_074248.jpg.ae992d71abc4840eb2a9ec3949510f93.jpg

So we follow the Gaithersburg guys out. In order to keep everyone's interest I propose a 25 cent Nines/Baseball game.  

"How do you play that?" - Aiyyer

OCGolfRick:

Happy Daffy Duck GIF by Looney Tunes

I have to say the first 9 holes of RNK is fantastic and as strong as anything at Tobacco Road. The back 9 does get a little weaker with some throwaway holes, but some memorable ones in there too.  I would still put Tobacco Road above RNK, but the gap is very slight.

Thanks to my ability to manipulate the rules of Nines in my favor, I mean,  score well at a difficult golf course I was able to take $4 off BandonDunes and $4.50 off Aiyyer- who was then stupid enough to have a $5 chipoff on the 10th green while waiting for Team Chen to join off, which I also won.  

Team Chen did indeed drive down and join us on the 10th.  Both played very solid in the drizzle and rain showers.  Funny moment on the 17th:

OCGolfRick: (Bombs drive)

Everyone: Great drive OCGolfRick!  Best of the day!

BandonDunes: Cranks it past me, no surprise

DaveChen2.0- Cranks it past as he should

Aiyyer:  Pops Geritol , pops it out past me.

Dave Chen:  Bombs it past me!

OCGolfRick:

Sad Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I felt kinda bad when the Chens wanted to play the first 9, but there was a lightning strike while we ate lunch and I was just wiped.  Sorry fellas.  Aiyyer was brave and played on my behalf.

Next day we play Golden Horseshoe Green for $59.  Aiyyer kinda set the bar of expectations low, and it does start off rather boring, but a cool selection of Par 3's and 5's made it really worth it. I enjoyed it immensely.

Anyway, for a cancelled event and playing in the rain, I had a great time and had a good hang with Aiyyer and BandonDunes54.  And it only cost me about $300 in spa treatments for the wife!

Played the Green course for the first time and really enjoyed it. Played Gold later with Dom and as usual it was spectacular. Paid $119 for both courses with the replay rate - silly great deal. 

Application opens AGAIN for Masters tickets. Its literally been two years now - and three postponements - since I "won" the first set of tickets.

Fourth time's a charm!

• Like 1

SIM Max 12* - Rogue Elite Green 65x
Callaway Apex 18* / 20*
P790 6i / P770 5i-GW // Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM8 Raw 54* / 58* / 62*
Scotty Golo 5R 35" / ProV1X Left Dash

19 hours ago, ALTSean said:

When I heard that @Ocgolfrick was crossing state lines to come to VA this weekend, I had to pack up my family and head west.  We headed to Capon Springs, WV for 3 nights.  When we got there on Thursday afternoon, the weather was great and we felt like we stepped back in time.  Capon Springs is kind of a funky, campy, old timey place.  Your cell phone won't work, the rooms do not have Wifi or TVs and all the meals are served in a dinning hall at set hours.  There is a morning flag raising ceremony and nightly campfires.  There are plenty of hiking trails and lots of family and kids activities (pool, sports, games, fishing, etc.) and of course a small golf course.  They have a 9 hole regulation course that is a par 34 and almost 3,000 yards through hilly WV terrain and they have a small pitch and putt with 9 holes ranging from ~40 to 85 yards with greens the size of an Amber Ox water glass.

For guests, and I assume non-guests, it is $25 walking for an all day rate which includes both courses.  There are no tee times and if you want to take a cart, it's $10 and you just grab one.  The locker room is a throwback and it's 5 feet from the first tee.  I got up early on Friday morning and teed off as a single at 6:30 am and didn't see anyone except a lone maintenance guy mowing the greens.  It was in remarkably good shape and it's a cool old school layout with elevation changes, lots of slope and slightly elevated greens which will repel shots that come up short.  On the the 5th tee was an old school Coke cooler filled with ice and free ginger ale.  I am not sure what elves filled it up at 7 am, but I was thankful for those elves solid work ethic.  I ended up walking 9 in a little over an hour and 15 just because I was taking pictures and drinking Shastas.  We came back that afternoon with the person I am related to by marriage and the kids to play the pitch and putt.  Highlight of the round was my son, wife and I all hitting tee shots to 3-5' on #5.  My wife and son drained their birdies and I choked under the pressure and walked off with a par.

Capon Springs is about 2 hours from the Beltway so probably a little far for a day trip, but you could have a lot of fun out there with a group playing the full course, the pitch and putt and drinking beer ginger ale.          

#tripadvisorWRX  

IMG_0918.JPEG.5c8f4e8a2e69e26d01dea22b1d2927b1.JPEG

IMG_0955.JPEG.985a096d55bb991b6f21c3185f785024.JPEG

IMG_0962.JPEG.c1af3833b578ca803e08a6a19281f775.JPEG

IMG_0959.JPEG.0f17d20add7651a88a50c68138ae607a.JPEG

IMG_0979.JPEG.4b0c593065974367a3bf445daa9756a0.JPEG

IMG_0983.JPEG.021a8b6165e5c64dfeb9ec486cc453bc.JPEG

IMG_0986.JPEG.6cf980412868a115a63f33a85d1c0ae9.JPEG

IMG_0991.JPEG.728a74d8f64568e36c61bcaafbfa0378.JPEG

877920463_IMG_1057(1).jpeg.e4e124a54c5d88f81a204a1f204c6134.jpeg

9 Holes??? Par 34???? 2800 yards????

How you gonna beat me playing that kind of course???  You need practice on a REAL course.

giphy-downsized.gif

• Haha 1
Suck it, Ceejay.

18 minutes ago, Ocgolfrick said:

How you gonna beat me playing that kind of course???  You need practice on a REAL course.

giphy-downsized.gif

You saw he couldn’t make a birdie while his family did - ice cold 

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

43 minutes ago, Ocgolfrick said:

giphy-downsized.gif

Now that you are allowed to cross state lines again, you can load up the van and bring the OC boys out west for very unofficial, date TBD, "The Hive Returns to School" event in the fall at Schoolhouse 9.

Par 27, 9 holes, less than 1,500 yards; you'll only need your 9 wood a few times.

Watch out for #3 as the electrical sub station is very much in play.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, OCCantChip said:

I seem to recall @ALTSean handling his game ok when he and Averil took on @Ocgolfrick and @OCCantChip last we played (and the time before that)

This is why @OCCantChip is my favorite brother.  

@Ocgolfrick do not forget about that time at the 7s when I had a perfect 3-0 record (or the fact that you carried me in the first team match).   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, misplacedtexan83 said:

You saw he couldn’t make a birdie while his family did - ice cold 

I know, can't you just picture it?  Lil' AltSean Jr gets a rental Fisher-Price plastic driver, wallops a TopFlite XL 3000 with 2 scuff marks to 5 feet on the Postage Stamp hole, drains the putt and runs off to chase butterflies. Meanwhile AltSean is well into his 2 1/2 minute PSR, checks his GPS Garmin again for yardage, checks the wind, and still comes up 20 yards short...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Suck it, Ceejay.

1 hour ago, ALTSean said:

Now that you are allowed to cross state lines again, you can load up the van and bring the OC boys out west for very unofficial, date TBD, "The Hive Returns to School" event in the fall at Schoolhouse 9.

Par 27, 9 holes, less than 1,500 yards; you'll only need your 9 wood a few times.

Watch out for #3 as the electrical sub station is very much in play.   

This had better not coincide with date of "The ORIGINAL Unofficial Hive Event at Royal New Kent- The Mike Strantz Experience- Because we got rained out this spring its going to be back on and even better and way better than some rinky-dink skins game at some par 3 in some godforsaken corner of Virginia"- date TBD.  AltSean RNK plays 6200-6700 yards- you may need new clubs.

• Like 3
Suck it, Ceejay.

30 minutes ago, Ocgolfrick said:

This had better not coincide with date of "The ORIGINAL Unofficial Hive Event at Royal New Kent- The Mike Strantz Experience- Because we got rained out this spring its going to be back on and even better and way better than some rinky-dink skins game at some par 3 in some godforsaken corner of Virginia"- date TBD.  AltSean RNK plays 6200-6700 yards- you may need new clubs.

We're going to have to do some brain storming over some beverages.  I heard that we're all bunking at the President's house the night before the Solstice tournament so we can talk then.  

In other exciting Par 3 course news, Belmont just re-opened outside of Richmond and there is going to be a Golfer's Journal Event there Saturday September 11th.  Belmont has 12 big boy holes for you since you're now on the Bryson plan, plus 6 Par 3s for us humble everyman golfers:

"Known originally as Hermitage Country Club, Belmont was designed in 1917 by renowned Golden Age golf architect A.W. Tillinghast. A decade later, equally revered architect Donald Ross made his own design contributions to the course. Belmont played host to both the 1945 Richmond Invitational, won by Ben Hogan, and the 1949 PGA Championship, won by Virginian Sam Snead. Renovated and restored by Love Golf Design, Belmont remains the only course in Virginia that has hosted a major championship and one of only two Tillinghast courses nationwide that has hosted a major and is still open for public play — the other is Bethpage Black."

https://www.playbelmontrva.org/

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ocgolfrick said:

I particularly like the quote from the Main Room Section:

“It’s close to everything. The dining room. The library. My grandchildren. The friendly staff. The store. And the Ice machine.” – Barbara M. of Arlington, VA

Imagine!  An Ice Machine! What will they think of next!

Barb's gotta ice them knees after the short walks to the dining room thrice daily.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/1/2021 at 11:12 PM, aiyyer said:

Played the Green course for the first time and really enjoyed it. Played Gold later with Dom and as usual it was spectacular. Paid $119 for both courses with the replay rate - silly great deal. 

Any time Golden Horseshoe has a deal I might be going down there.  Unbelievable experience each time.  $119 to play 36 holes where the second 18 is the best I have played in Virginia is well worth it.  Kingsmill loses its luster each time I play Golden Horseshoe.  I do, however, get really claustrophobic on the tee boxes after playing Worthington Manor all the time.

Rick, thanks for setting it up either way.  It was weird to travel again but I am glad we can these days. 

• Like 3

On 6/2/2021 at 2:57 PM, ALTSean said:

We're going to have to do some brain storming over some beverages.  I heard that we're all bunking at the President's house the night before the Solstice tournament so we can talk then.  

In other exciting Par 3 course news, Belmont just re-opened outside of Richmond and there is going to be a Golfer's Journal Event there Saturday September 11th.  Belmont has 12 big boy holes for you since you're now on the Bryson plan, plus 6 Par 3s for us humble everyman golfers:

"Known originally as Hermitage Country Club, Belmont was designed in 1917 by renowned Golden Age golf architect A.W. Tillinghast. A decade later, equally revered architect Donald Ross made his own design contributions to the course. Belmont played host to both the 1945 Richmond Invitational, won by Ben Hogan, and the 1949 PGA Championship, won by Virginian Sam Snead. Renovated and restored by Love Golf Design, Belmont remains the only course in Virginia that has hosted a major championship and one of only two Tillinghast courses nationwide that has hosted a major and is still open for public play — the other is Bethpage Black."

https://www.playbelmontrva.org/

Never been more excited to see a project come online. Apparently we had the Love Brothers up to MV as part of our selection process for a new architect but went in another direction. Naturally I was psyched to see some "new faces" get in the door - but then it turns out they picked a team that well one I didnt really know but they had done a lot of courses locally. My guess is they were also not the most expensive.

• Like 1

SIM Max 12* - Rogue Elite Green 65x
Callaway Apex 18* / 20*
P790 6i / P770 5i-GW // Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM8 Raw 54* / 58* / 62*
Scotty Golo 5R 35" / ProV1X Left Dash

13 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Never been more excited to see a project come online. Apparently we had the Love Brothers up to MV as part of our selection process for a new architect but went in another direction. Naturally I was psyched to see some "new faces" get in the door - but then it turns out they picked a team that well one I didnt really know but they had done a lot of courses locally. My guess is they were also not the most expensive.

The Belmont setup looks cool and provides a lot of flexibility since you could easily play 6, 12 or 18 without interrupting other golfers. @aiyyer apparently played 6 holes at Belmont on his way home from the @Ocgolfrick 1st Annual Three Guys in the Rain Tournament.   

I emailed The Golfer's Journal for details on their event there on Sep 11th and they said they wait until 3 months out from an event to start promoting it in order to not distract from other events so details should come out around the week of June 14th.  

• Like 1