MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

On 8/9/2021 at 8:46 AM, GooseHook said:

Not sure when I'll get to play golf again with a new puppy, but it was nice to go out with a bang this summer. This was my 5th time playing Pikewood National and it was by far the toughest the course has been set up...in addition to having a really bad day with my iron play. The greens were receptive yet insanely quick, pin locations were in all the toughest tiers and the primary rough was like hitting through balls of rope. If you were bad or unlucky enough to hit it wide of the primary rough, you'd find yourself in fescue so thick that there was no chance. The few bunkers on the course all are lined with "eyebrows" of fescue so it's possible to miss a green by 2 feet and be in it. 

The course is so alien to me in terms of difficulty, I ran my GHIN calculator on the first tee and my 8.3 index equated to a 15 course handicap. With that in mind, a 92 (13.0 differential) was actually a better than projected score. Our tees were 7000 yards, 75.4/151.

Two highlights of the day. First, the 3rd hole, par 3 playing 235 with the pin all the way on the back top tier. I smoked a 3 iron onto the green and had a tough 2-putt for par. you can see the bunker "eyebrows" with the fescue. My BIL had his tee shot feed into one from the green and ended up making a 6. 

179D93F5-97FB-4A69-A5C3-969A5498E75A.JPG.35338a534fac73c5e14b544f3960bc25.JPG

And lastly, a par 5 that has always put me in pocket. Two part fairway, and the second/third shots play about 30 yards uphill into a green that's not only turtlebacked, but has a false front that rolls wedge shots down the hill by 50-60 yards. I hit my first drive of the day and hit possibly the best golf shot of my life, a nailed fairway wood off the deck that landed stiff 10 feet from the hole. That putt was downhill, unfortunately lipped out for eagle but I was able to tap in for my only birdie. This was the view standing next to the tee. 

52469993-B4AA-4038-891C-62D48AFF99F2.JPG.022b0f4bd506d2c24207bb83fa437f19.JPG

Puppy - what’s that got to with playing golf?

7 hours ago, aiyyer said:

Puppy - what’s that got to with playing golf?

A living animal at home that can't hold his bladder for more than 2 hours, and a wife that usually gets home from work after 6 PM. I live 25ish minutes from my club, so for now afternoon practice sessions are on hold. 

@Terphack he's a fox red lab. 

SIM2 9*, Ventus Black 7x

TSi2 15*, Atmos Black 8TX

Flash SZ 17°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

14 hours ago, GooseHook said:

A living animal at home that can't hold his bladder for more than 2 hours, and a wife that usually gets home from work after 6 PM. I live 25ish minutes from my club, so for now afternoon practice sessions are on hold. 

@Terphack he's a fox red lab. 

Nice, you don't see many that color.  I would love to see some pictures if you get a chance (what puppy owner doesn't have pictures)

BTW got out to the new PGA Superstore this weekend, nice setup, IMO definitely nicer than Golfsmith. Big putting green right up front, good apparel selection, excellent stock of grips if you need to pick up a few. Used clubs seemed lacking right now but it did just open - although I thought maybe they would stock up from other stores.

Not really sure what the simulator situation is, there are some in the back where it looks like you could just walk in and use them. Then there are a couple walled off ones that it looks like were for fittings. I overheard someone say you could buy memberships to use them but I didnt look into that.

Not bad overall, good addition. Only picked up a few grips, hat, shirt and a new putter...

• Like 1

SIM Max 12* - Rogue Elite Green 65x
Callaway Apex 18* / 20* - Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8x
P790 6i / P770 5i-GW // Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM8 Raw 54* / 58* / 62*
Scotty Golo 5R 35" / ProV1X Left Dash

On 8/23/2021 at 9:59 AM, Terphack said:

Handsome boy!

Let me guess- bounce off the walls, crash for a while, eat, bounce off the walls, poop, crash for a while, bounce off the walls, crash for a while and then do it all over again after lunch.

Man do I miss that.

100%, he's a spaz when he's awake but really smart and motivated to learn. Being able to work from home has made housebreaking a breeze, and his favorite toy is an empty Gatorade bottle with a few pennies in it. If he gets cleared by his vet next week we're taking him to Deep Creek for some swim training and lots of yard play. He's going to be a great hiking and fishing buddy down the line. 

SIM2 9*, Ventus Black 7x

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

Who you all got for the BMW?

I finally decided to enter my club's sweeps this week. I took Ancer, Cantlay, and Schauffele. Thinking the extreme heat and humidity will make the course play fast and shorter than length, and these three are all really solid iron players who could go low on any given day. I did not go for Rahm because the entire "field" will be taking him and it's essentially a break-even bet. 

SIM2 9*, Ventus Black 7x

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

Still one of my favorite pics ever from Caves Valley - with SaltyFabb halfway to the green before the rest of us were off the box...

DSC00951 (1).JPG

• Like 4

I thought I still had a picture of Ramesh's clubhead flying off on the ninth tee and going straight into the pond.

• Like 1

The course shows great on TV, and no surprise with LCP today and the wind down the guys lit it up. It's truly amazing how good they are. 

My three picks had good first rounds, hopefully I can clear enough from these guys to order some new wedges 🙂 

• Like 1

SIM2 9*, Ventus Black 7x

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

The first tee time for our event at The Cannon Club was at 1:00 and the sun broke out right about then. Yesterday may have been the most humid day I have ever played golf. Or at least the most I have ever sweated while playing. Soaked through clothes and a few gloves.

Take advantage of the opportunity to play The Cannon Club if you get a chance. First rate facilities except for possibly the driving range which only had room for 7-8. A really nice feature is the carts which featured enhanced GPS, built in Bluetooth speakers and even the ability to watch sports(not sure how that worked), and the nicest seats I have ever encountered in a cart. The course is a mix of wide open holes and some tree lined. A fair amount of elevation change but nothing drastic. Like most courses local knowledge would help as there were a couple of blind shots that didn't get you in trouble as much as just knowing where to be for the next shot. Greens rolled really well with a lot of character yet didn't break nearly as much as you see.

The heat got to me early, maybe because of golf Friday afternoon and,beers at the O's game on Saturday, and by the 12th or so hole I was really struggling. Lucky to finish middle of the pack. Not a good golf season for me.

• Like 1

Honestly had never heard of the Cannon Club until you said something, it looks really nice though. Its so nice when they have carts like that too, just the little things can make a big difference.

Saturday was probably the worst golf weather of the year in the morning. Even though it was 15* cooler than it has been, the humidity was crushing. Played with the left rain glove the whole time and bailed on walking after 9. One of the few times I've actually thought that even with CPO it was better than walking. It was actually so bad that on a couple holes that were still pretty wet, you could almost feel the humidity coming out of the ground.

Range has been closed now for the better part of two weeks. Its generally not a great range anyway and I would love to see them bulldoze the whole thing but I guess I am just not the guy who can roll up to the first tee and go - even if you're all stretched out. I know some guys can do it - I absolutely cannot LOL.

Been really getting along with the center shafted Seemore mallet, only been a few rounds now but there is something about the center shaft that I really like.

(countdown to seeing it in the BST starts...now)

• Like 3

On 8/24/2021 at 8:50 AM, dcmidnight said:

BTW got out to the new PGA Superstore this weekend, nice setup, IMO definitely nicer than Golfsmith. Big putting green right up front, good apparel selection, excellent stock of grips if you need to pick up a few. Used clubs seemed lacking right now but it did just open - although I thought maybe they would stock up from other stores.

Not really sure what the simulator situation is, there are some in the back where it looks like you could just walk in and use them. Then there are a couple walled off ones that it looks like were for fittings. I overheard someone say you could buy memberships to use them but I didnt look into that.

Not bad overall, good addition. Only picked up a few grips, hat, shirt and a new putter...

Studio bays are for instruction and paid fittings with high end shaft options and Trackman. 

3 bays are for walk in fittings and trying clubs out. 

4 bays in the back are for practice and play. Only $10 bucks for 30 minutes. 

$150 annual membership includes practice bay use as much as you want, some free repair work, and I'm sure other sales on select stuff. Just ask for me to do the work. 

• Like 4

WITB Currently
Titleist TSi3 9*

TM SIM Max2 3HL
TM SIM Max2 7
Irons - Srixon Z Forged 4-PW

Titleist Vokey - 50*, 56*, 60*
Scotty Cameron Santa Fe

Mizuno K1-L0

7 hours ago, DYOS4 said:

Studio bays are for instruction and paid fittings with high end shaft options and Trackman. 

3 bays are for walk in fittings and trying clubs out. 

4 bays in the back are for practice and play. Only $10 bucks for 30 minutes. 

$150 annual membership includes practice bay use as much as you want, some free repair work, and I'm sure other sales on select stuff. Just ask for me to do the work. 

Thats awesome, how do you like it so far?

Always thought it was a perfect spot for a golf shop, hope that PGASS does well there, its nice to have.

Pretty sure the practice bays had some sort of screen/data back there but I dont think they were trackman - could be wrong though.

BTW the Pinecrest bay is $20 cheaper this summer, I think until end of this month - $55 for the two hours.

9 hours ago, SullGolf said:

Do the practice bays have trackman?  If so that's a great deal compared to what I've seen anywhere else.

Only the studio has Trackmans, which also has a GC Quad. Fitting bays and practice bays are GC Hawks. 

Edited by DYOS4
  • Like 2

WITB Currently
Titleist TSi3 9*

TM SIM Max2 3HL
TM SIM Max2 7

Scotty Cameron Santa Fe

Mizuno K1-L0

9 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Thats awesome, how do you like it so far?

Always thought it was a perfect spot for a golf shop, hope that PGASS does well there, its nice to have.

So far so good. Still need to get random stuff for the shop. 

Edited by DYOS4

WITB Currently
Titleist TSi3 9*

TM SIM Max2 3HL
TM SIM Max2 7

Scotty Cameron Santa Fe

Mizuno K1-L0

The non fitting simulator bays use the Foresight GCHawk. It’s the same tech used in the GCQuad. Just as good, if not better Than Trackman. Foresight owns the best camera-based simulator and Trackman is a better radar-based simulator. For indoors the Foresight sports tech is better and it’s far better for reading club data. 

• Like 2

I've never researched it, so that's interested to hear about it being better for club data than Trackman.  On the rare occassions I've had access to a launch monitor, I always found the club data to be more valuable than ball data.  Maybe ball data is better for club fitting (launch, spin), but club data was better for improving my swing (path, face, attack angles).

54 minutes ago, SullGolf said:

I've never researched it, so that's interested to hear about it being better for club data than Trackman.  On the rare occassions I've had access to a launch monitor, I always found the club data to be more valuable than ball data.  Maybe ball data is better for club fitting (launch, spin), but club data was better for improving my swing (path, face, attack angles).

Foresight is better and more accurate in doors than trackman - metal dots still provide more accurate data than not

Outdoors- trackman still king but all depends on the settings the fitter has on it 

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

11 minutes ago, misplacedtexan83 said:

Foresight is better and more accurate in doors than trackman - metal dots still provide more accurate data than not

Outdoors- trackman still king but all depends on the settings the fitter has on it 

The Foresight camera systems are god-tier indoors. Tex is right about TM outdoors, but inside you need a highly curated environment. Metal dots can get you there but you need to replicate your ball setup perfectly to get accurate spin readings, otherwise your fittings are going off estimated or incomplete data. 

• Like 1

SIM2 9*, Ventus Black 7x

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX