Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I have been installing grips using air recently and I got into a debate with a buddy who does the traditional tape solvent method. He argues that the solvent is necessary to create a good bond with the grip. I haven't had any problems using air and tape so I was wondering if anyone who uses the air technique has experienced any problems like twisting etc?

3 minutes ago, Terphack said:

I have been installing grips using air recently and I got into a debate with a buddy who does the traditional tape solvent method. He argues that the solvent is necessary to create a good bond with the grip. I haven't had any problems using air and tape so I was wondering if anyone who uses the air technique has experienced any problems like twisting etc?

Only on superstroke putter grips. Didn’t build the tape up enough. 

Other than that I haven’t had any issues. Heck I use cooking spray or wd-40 and always painters tape. If you are worried - just do a little strip at the bottom of the grip of double sided. 

protos F4

Ask your buddy where else he's adding liquid to tape to "make the bond better". 

I took chemistry 15 years ago, so I'm kind of an internet expert on this topic:  Solvent is used because it makes the tape slick but then evaporates quickly to allow the stickiness of the tape to take over again.

Edited by SullGolf
  • Like 2

I used hair spray once when I ran out of solvent and had to put a grip on - always did feel that one had more stickiness to it than the other ones...

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I've had a few issues with twisting of blown on grips but I chalked it up to the cheap grip I was using.  I haven't had any twisting issues using GP or Lamkin grips.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

Using regular masking tape, not double sided, my friend argues that the solvent causes the exposed side of the tape to adhere better to the grip when dry.  He uses the example of what the old tape looks like on the shaft after removing the old grip. I argue that what he is referring to is either deteriorated double sided tape or really old tape. 

A hint someone gave me, and I use, is to just add a little bit of water inside the grip, pouring out before install. This has worked well for me. I haven't had any issues with the clubs I have done for myself or others but my sample size is relatively small which is why I asked originally .

Whatever, just a friendly debate.

8 minutes ago, Terphack said:

Using regular masking tape, not double sided, my friend argues that the solvent causes the exposed side of the tape to adhere better to the grip when dry.  He uses the example of what the old tape looks like on the shaft after removing the old grip. I argue that what he is referring to is either deteriorated double sided tape or really old tape. 

A hint someone gave me, and I use, is to just add a little bit of water inside the grip, pouring out before install. This has worked well for me. I haven't had any issues with the clubs I have done for myself or others but my sample size is relatively small which is why I asked originally .

Whatever, just a friendly debate.

I would argue the air is what binds it lube is just getting it on 

• Like 1

protos F4

On 9/8/2021 at 7:59 PM, Terphack said:

I believe the solvent is used as a lubricant to slide the grip on. Certain solvents are recommended (mineral spirits, paint thinner, etc) because they go from very slick to very dry in a short amount of time

Edited by tungstenplug
  • Like 2

Do folks consider Northwest the best Montgomery County Golf (MCG) track?  In terms of true test of golf?  Falls Road has been in absolute great shape lately, but some holes are plain meh.  Poolesville is fun and open.  Hampshire Greens I recall is decent.  I grew up here and have never played Northwest.  Kyle Berkshire had an Instagram post about it recently and I had one of those "ah ha" moments...

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black

Ts2 19° HZ Smoke Black |U505 23° HZ Gen4 Black

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

6 hours ago, stimpmeterp said:

Do folks consider Northwest the best Montgomery County Golf (MCG) track?  In terms of true test of golf?  Falls Road has been in absolute great shape lately, but some holes are plain meh.  Poolesville is fun and open.  Hampshire Greens I recall is decent.  I grew up here and have never played Northwest.  Kyle Berkshire had an Instagram post about it recently and I had one of those "ah ha" moments...

Absolutely. Northwest is a really good course. Public or otherwise.

• Like 1

Our club had it's last regular season event at Pine Ridge yesterday and the course was in fabulous condition. The greens were consistent and smooth with few noticeable ball marks. Arguably as good as any I have played on this year. All of the fairways were consistent although they will probably be cut this morning. The rough was difficult in places and definitely cost me a few strokes. Staff was pleasant and helpful which we were grateful for because our club president was in a motorcycle accident the night before so the event wasn't as organized as usual. I expect good conditions a Pine Ridge and yesterday those expectations were exceeded. 

As far as golf goes, I was actually pleased to shoot 97 since most of my scores this year have been triple digits and my index has sky rocketed. A couple of wayward shots and several putts that missed by a CH drove my score up. Felt more like a high 80's round while I was playing. Some subtle swing changes this season have really altered my game and they seem to finally be working a bit. Just need to keep working on consistency.

• Like 1

Some more thumbs up / thumbs down ratings for the PGA Superstore in Fairfax.

Thumbs up - returned a club I had bought and even though by the "playability guarantee" rules they could have made me spend the money on a credit that day - no questions asked, full refund right to the credit card. I didnt even have to ask for it.

Thumbs up - guys at the club repair desk, helpful again in tracking down a roll of lead tape. Also caught me after I picked up a few MCC grips and one of them was a midsize.

Thumbs down - the four hitting bays in the back are now completely reserved for people who buy practice memberships. So if you want to go in and get a few swings in on a pre-owned club you are thinking of buying, you wait in line with everyone else for the other few fitting bays.

I get the point - if you sell memberships you cant have people come in to use the bays only to find them full - but its also perfect golf weather, how many people are coming in on a perfect Sunday afternoon and want to grind out an hour of indoor practice? I feel like this could be handled better, maybe you set aside one or two bays and then if those get full with people coming in to practice - you block off the third etc. But to have a full waiting list for people who want to get just a few swings in with four empty bays sitting right there - bad call.

Also they still have a very small amount of used gear in the store but I did manage to find a hybrid with a Tour Spec Atmos in it, it was probably worth the price just for the shaft.

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

13 hours ago, jak77 said:

Where would you put Little Bennet? Haven’t played Northwest but I have most the others. 

Good course but I've always said I thought NW as the best MCG layout in the area and IMO its not really that close. I have not played there in a couple years now but the conditioning was always very good and reasonably priced if you walked weekday afternoons.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

3 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Good course but I've always said I thought NW as the best MCG layout in the area and IMO its not really that close. I have not played there in a couple years now but the conditioning was always very good and reasonably priced if you walked weekday afternoons.

Sounds like I need to get out and play Northwest.  Tough booking an MCG now at a decent time.  Played Little Bennet last week after all the rain and the conditioning was phenomenal.  

• Like 1

Walked Poolesville today alone and had a blast.  3.5 hours.  Many moons ago I played high school district championships there.  It's an open layout but long from the tips.  Had several hybrids/FWs into par 4s.  IMO the greens were in great shape but on the slower side.  For a "muni" I was impressed.  But note that they are currently aerating the fairways and tee boxes.

• Like 1

Odyssey 7 Bird 

38 minutes ago, Terphack said:

Planning a round at Eisenhower in the next week or two, has anyone been out there since the renovation? Or recently?

I played there a couple months after the renovation and thought it was pretty dang good.  I moved to the area in 2019 so I didn't play before the renovation so I cant compare.  I also haven't been able to play since because the tee sheet has been jammed.  I thought the greens were among the best I've played in a long time.  They were perfect but not particularly fast.  I'd be interested in your feedback post round to see if they've been able to maintain that quality.  

9 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

As for the MoCo courses, I like Needwood quite a bit as well (except for #18). Wide variety of holes requiring different clubs off the tees and approaches, and usually in pretty good shape. Like someone mentioned, tee times can be hard to find, however, at least on weekends. I’ve played NW a lot, it can play really long, even from the second to back tees. Holes can be a little blah as well, but are mostly wide open with big greens and flat lies. I just find Needwood more interesting. 

I like Needwood as well - I think NW is a little bit better but I've had good times at both places.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

On 9/13/2021 at 11:28 AM, dcmidnight said:

Thumbs down - the four hitting bays in the back are now completely reserved for people who buy practice memberships. So if you want to go in and get a few swings in on a pre-owned club you are thinking of buying, you wait in line with everyone else for the other few fitting bays.

They are 100% NOT only for memberships. Anyone can use them. Not sure why they wouldn't let you use them. I'm going to guess you spoke with a new person who simply didn't know or, sadly, it was easier to make you wait.

• Like 1

WITB Currently
Titleist TSR2 10*

Callaway Paradym 16.5*

Titleist TSi1 20*

Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Irons - Srixon ZX7 5-PW

Cleveland RTX6 56*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II Centershaft/Ping Tyne C

Mizuno K1-L0

On 9/13/2021 at 3:07 PM, stimpmeterp said:

Many moons ago I played high school district championships there. 

I love Poolesville. Played the districts there in 1999 and made it. 

WITB Currently
Titleist TSR2 10*

Callaway Paradym 16.5*

Titleist TSi1 20*

Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Irons - Srixon ZX7 5-PW

Cleveland RTX6 56*, 60*

Mizuno K1-L0

13 minutes ago, DYOS4 said:

They are 100% NOT only for memberships. Anyone can use them. Not sure why they wouldn't let you use them. I'm going to guess you spoke with a new person who simply didn't know or, sadly, it was easier to make you wait.

Interesting. Honestly the stores been open for so little time, I just figured it was a new policy. It wasnt really like they had an official "system" either - there was a guy with a clipboard calling off names. And the rest of the bays were all on/ready to go - it just looked like all they had to do was sign into them. Oh well.

I guess I could see needing *some* sort of distinction between hitting new clubs or used - new ones have to be taped up and all - so maybe you need someone policing the situation. But it was a little weird waiting in line to take ten swings with a used club when there were four open bays.

Good to know, hopefully things start to shake out, its so great to have it back there. How do you like it there?

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

We have a lot of staff new to the industry and many who are worried about rules and not solving the problem or request at hand. 

WITB Currently
Titleist TSR2 10*

Callaway Paradym 16.5*

Titleist TSi1 20*

Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Irons - Srixon ZX7 5-PW

Cleveland RTX6 56*, 60*

Mizuno K1-L0

22 minutes ago, SullGolf said:

I live in MoCo and Poolesville is 40 minutes from my house without traffic (hah!).   It's the only MCG course I still haven't played.  The triangle from Poolesville to Rattlewood to Sligo Creek is about 70 miles perimeter as the crow flies.

I hear people talking about Poolesville and keep thinking of the town outside OCMD. Given the crazy span of the MoCo courses, that wouldn't surprise me. 

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

12 hours ago, DYOS4 said:

I love Poolesville. Played the districts there in 1999 and made it. 

Believe I made it in '94 - shot 81 or 82 for 12th place.  U of MD was States that year.  Another great track.

• Like 1

Odyssey 7 Bird