MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

53 minutes ago, Sterling_247 said:

Some would say that could apply to other areas of life as well. 

Touche lol.

Anyone else watching Bryson's long drive sets this week? I gotta say even though I despise him and his whole shtick - he's been pretty damn good. If he wants to, he can put all 6 balls on the grid which a lot of these guys struggle with. But even he admitted, he still launches the ball way too low compared to the other LD pros. Still its pretty impressive

he stepped up and made the final 16. And again - I hate him. Final 16 is this afternoon.

Speaking of long drive, someone had sent me the link to Kyle Berkshire's course vlog from Northwest. Pretty good stuff, guy definitely has some game.

• Like 1

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

26 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Touche lol.

Anyone else watching Bryson's long drive sets this week? I gotta say even though I despise him and his whole shtick - he's been pretty damn good. If he wants to, he can put all 6 balls on the grid which a lot of these guys struggle with. But even he admitted, he still launches the ball way too low compared to the other LD pros. Still its pretty impressive

he stepped up and made the final 16. And again - I hate him. Final 16 is this afternoon.

Speaking of long drive, someone had sent me the link to Kyle Berkshire's course vlog from Northwest. Pretty good stuff, guy definitely has some game.

The format's cool and the YouTube stream is solid, the event is making for nice background during work. Bryson definitely has the advantage of accuracy but he's going to need the big guns to spray the ball to advance past the top 8. 

Pretty amazing though what he's doing. 

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I've been watching it too. He's definitely got the most fundamentally sound swing and hits the grid most often (it seems). He might be giving up 10mph of speed to the top guys but his launch conditions are a bit more optimized which makes up for it

I agree, it's a great format. It would be cool if they had shot tracers on all of them and maybe one more camera. I'm thinking with the exposure Bryson brings that may be in the budget for future years

3 minutes ago, tungstenplug said:

I've been watching it too. He's definitely got the most fundamentally sound swing and hits the grid most often (it seems). He might be giving up 10mph of speed to the top guys but his launch conditions are a bit more optimized which makes up for it

I agree, it's a great format. It would be cool if they had shot tracers on all of them and maybe one more camera. I'm thinking with the exposure Bryson brings that may be in the budget for future years

Yeah I think the announcers were saying Bryson launching it at 1 or 2* gives him a huge advantage into the headwinds they had - where some of the other guys are 6-8* up. But those guys that hit that far up, they also have huge dispersion patterns. Bryson (probably) isnt going to win head to head against a guy hitting those moonballs downwind but he can certainly stand up there and hit the grid 5 or 6 out of 6 times.

• Like 1

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

LOL Bryson steps up and beats Berkshire in the first round of his group. This is some hilarious s***.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

12 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

LOL Bryson steps up and beats Berkshire in the first round of his group. This is some hilarious s***.

Hell yeah!

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Damn, he made it deep into that event. Respect. 

It's weird how normal he seems with a regular baseball cap on. 

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

8 hours ago, GooseHook said:

Damn, he made it deep into that event. Respect. 

It's weird how normal he seems with a regular baseball cap on. 

It was pretty clear seeing the difference. The guys with the clownshow swings, they are hitting up on the ball 6-8*. So they are getting more distance but also they can hit 6 out of 6 off the grid. Bryson was only missing by a few yards here and there - literally 2 yards from winning in one set and I think 1 in the other - and he's only hitting up 1*. The announcers were saying how impressed they were that in his first year really taking this seriously he made it to the final 8 and maybe with a couple tweaks he'd have no problems keeping up.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Paging @misplacedtexan83 and company, I made an impulse buy today at Home Depot and now in on the air game. I've got the right nozzle for the gun, tried one grip out already and had some of the same issues with that damn Lamkin grip.  I think now I've ruled everything else out and the grip just sucks. 

I'm using painter's tape @ 50psi. Any adjustments you recommend?

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

11 hours ago, GooseHook said:

Paging @misplacedtexan83 and company, I made an impulse buy today at Home Depot and now in on the air game. I've got the right nozzle for the gun, tried one grip out already and had some of the same issues with that damn Lamkin grip.  I think now I've ruled everything else out and the grip just sucks. 

I'm using painter's tape @ 50psi. Any adjustments you recommend?

The first couple that I did took a few minutes to do, there is a small learning curve. Be sure to use short bursts of air particularly when starting the installation. A tip I saw and use is to put a little water inside the grip, much less than what you would do using solvent. This seems to help as a lubricant to get the grip started and it is gone by the time you finish.

I picked up a Pure Pro this morning and some really nice buildup tape. Went on in about 5 seconds and very secure. I guess the method isn't perfect with all grips, but it sure is nice to know that I can now pull the grip off whenever I want. 

• Like 2

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

2 hours ago, GooseHook said:

I picked up a Pure Pro this morning and some really nice buildup tape. Went on in about 5 seconds and very secure. I guess the method isn't perfect with all grips, but it sure is nice to know that I can now pull the grip off whenever I want. 

Placeholder so I can upload a photo showing exactly what I mean. It's a thick, 2" masking-type tape but has a shiny brown covering. It's not quite packing tape and not quite masking, but it seems to have great hold on the grip for air installs. 

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I played at Eisenhower 2 weeks ago and kept meaning to mention a few things here. The layout is decent with a few changes from the previous design. The conditions were very good with smooth, consistent greens except #15 (I think) which was struggling with some problem that left about half the green a wreck. As others have mentioned, no bunkers anywhere. Visually you don't miss them and the primary defense of the course is some long rough in places and and some strategically placed mounds. Pin placement and some green character add to the challenge. Good players will really enjoy their second round here and can be aggressive with shots. Rates seem to have dropped a bit since reopening and weekday rates are reasonable. The clubhouse is a dressed up double wide with some clothes and gear options.  Nice course, nice staff. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, davechen said:

Has NLT actually done anything to actually improve any of the DC courses yet?  Well, at least they've made spiffy logos.

Some minor changes on the course. A few new tee boxes - which are actually a nice change of pace. New equipment for the grounds crew was purchased which should help with overall conditions. New golf carts. Prices have gone up $1 per round 🙂

Edited by XHoop24
  • Like 2

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

Another recent play was Sparrows Point CC. Our club had its season ending event there, which I embarrassingly won with my sky high HC. Greens were in pretty good shape and the fairways were...ok. Since the realignment of holes the course and routing are wonky. A lot of the staff wasn't particularly friendly and the facilities are rundown. I know there isn't many golf options nearby but I am surprised that place survives. Just my opinion, I know there are plenty of folks that like the place.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Terphack said:

Another recent play was Sparrows Point CC. Our club had its season ending event there, which I embarrassingly won with my sky high HC. Greens were in pretty good shape and the fairways were...ok. Since the realignment of holes the course and routing are wonky. A lot of the staff wasn't particularly friendly and the facilities are rundown. I know there isn't many golf options nearby but I am surprised that place survives. Just my opinion, I know there are plenty of folks that like the place.

It's hanging on, barely. Sad to see the place in its current state. My favorite years of golf were when I first joined, and we still had 27 holes of playground with a great open play policy. The course was in a great shape back then but it still had its struggles with aging irrigation. Not everyone loved the layout but I personally enjoyed the hell out of it. 

Unfortunately there isn't much to do when membership and capital are at low points. 

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

26 minutes ago, GooseHook said:

I know the thread's a lot deader than it's ever been, but I just wanted to share the good news that my wife and I have a baby boy on the way. We're excited, it hasn't quite sunk in, and now I'm already thinking about how to build a junior golf set for when he gets old enough. 

Congrats..... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GooseHook said:

I know the thread's a lot deader than it's ever been, but I just wanted to share the good news that my wife and I have a baby boy on the way. We're excited, it hasn't quite sunk in, and now I'm already thinking about how to build a junior golf set for when he gets old enough. 

Congrats. First child?

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 9:03 AM, Terphack said:

I played at Eisenhower 2 weeks ago and kept meaning to mention a few things here. The layout is decent with a few changes from the previous design. The conditions were very good with smooth, consistent greens except #15 (I think) which was struggling with some problem that left about half the green a wreck. As others have mentioned, no bunkers anywhere. Visually you don't miss them and the primary defense of the course is some long rough in places and and some strategically placed mounds. Pin placement and some green character add to the challenge. Good players will really enjoy their second round here and can be aggressive with shots. Rates seem to have dropped a bit since reopening and weekday rates are reasonable. The clubhouse is a dressed up double wide with some clothes and gear options.  Nice course, nice staff. 

The point of disagreement I'll make is that... the greens are the slowest I've ever played on, despite rolling fairly true. A lot of the would-be character of the complexity of the greens is destroyed because a would be 8 footer with 3 feet of break on a green rolling 10--11 has to be hit like a 25 footer dead straight at Eisenhower. Every time I play, which is 8 or 9 times now since the reopen... I find myself on the 5th or 6th hole saying "Whatever just bang it in" 

The bermuda is struggling to take root, and they've had to do some emergency agronomy stuff to keep them alive. The greens are so sparse and sandy that it's impossible to fix a pitch mark. Any attempt and the grass just pulls away. And unfortunately, the greens are just ripped up by spike marks. I've never seen the areas around holes so furry as they are during twilight rounds at "The Preserve" 

I'd guess the greens are rolling at a 5 on average. A few of them are reasonable, but there are still overall drainage problems. 

The "mounds" or more officially, hummocks, aren't going over well with the players. They're "anti-fun" and are poorly placed. For example, on #14, the first set of hummocks is 250-275 yards from the tee box, and abuts the fairway. Any right handed golfer who hits a pretty solid drive could reasonably lose a ball on their best drive of the day (Fortunately I'm a lefty). 

The next set of mounds on #14 are 160-180 yards from the first set out mounds, and 70-110 yards from the green. These mounds are on both sides of the fairway, making the area about 10 yards wide. This forces players who hit a good drive near the first set of mounds into a 130 yard second shot to come up short of the second set of mounds, or a 200+ yard shot to clear them. If you choose to go 200+, there are overhanging trees to the right, and swampy 6+" rough to the left that eats balls like a fat kid at the cruise ship buffet.

Those criticisms aside, the "golf culture" over there is pretty great. Lots of walkers and guys who play every day after work, and have known each other for 10, 15, 30 years.

It's a great $24 walk for county residents, and it could be a gem if they ever get the Bermuda rolling. Some of the green complexes are pretty amazing. #1 #5 and #15 stand out as "Wow this would be pretty amazing if I could putt from 50 yards" holes.

The work they did on #5 and #6 to convert the par 3/4 into par 4/3 solved some major problems... I remember being knee deep in mud back near the County Fair and losing a shoe as a kid. 

Overall, a major improvement, but a lot of work to go. 

A lot of people have been asking the question "What did they do for 2 years?" 

Edited by golfman1023
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, golfman1023 said:

The point of disagreement I'll make is that... the greens are the slowest I've ever played on, despite rolling fairly true. A lot of the would-be character of the complexity of the greens is destroyed because a would be 8 footer with 3 feet of break on a green rolling 10--11 has to be hit like a 25 footer dead straight at Eisenhower. Every time I play, which is 8 or 9 times now since the reopen... I find myself on the 5th or 6th hole saying "Whatever just bang it in" 

The bermuda is struggling to take root, and they've had to do some emergency agronomy stuff to keep them alive. The greens are so sparse and sandy that it's impossible to fix a pitch mark. Any attempt and the grass just pulls away. And unfortunately, the greens are just ripped up by spike marks. I've never seen the areas around holes so furry as they are during twilight rounds at "The Preserve" 

I'd guess the greens are rolling at a 5 on average. A few of them are reasonable, but there are still overall drainage problems. 

The "mounds" or more officially, hummocks, aren't going over well with the players. They're "anti-fun" and are poorly placed. For example, on #14, the first set of hummocks is 250-275 yards from the tee box, and abuts the fairway. Any right handed golfer who hits a pretty solid drive could reasonably lose a ball on their best drive of the day (Fortunately I'm a lefty). 

The next set of mounds on #14 are 160-180 yards from the first set out mounds, and 70-110 yards from the green. These mounds are on both sides of the fairway, making the area about 10 yards wide. This forces players who hit a good drive near the first set of mounds into a 130 yard second shot to come up short of the second set of mounds, or a 200+ yard shot to clear them. If you choose to go 200+, there are overhanging trees to the right, and swampy 6+" rough to the left that eats balls like a fat kid at the cruise ship buffet.

Those criticisms aside, the "golf culture" over there is pretty great. Lots of walkers and guys who play every day after work, and have known each other for 10, 15, 30 years.

It's a great $24 walk for county residents, and it could be a gem if they ever get the Bermuda rolling. Some of the green complexes are pretty amazing. #1 #5 and #15 stand out as "Wow this would be pretty amazing if I could putt from 50 yards" holes.

The work they did on #5 and #6 to convert the par 3/4 into par 4/3 solved some major problems... I remember being knee deep in mud back near the County Fair and losing a shoe as a kid. 

Overall, a major improvement, but a lot of work to go. 

A lot of people have been asking the question "What did they do for 2 years?" 

Golfman since you have played Eisenhower multiple times since reopening I certainly respect your course review which is a much better representation than my one round. My next time out I will try to see more of the issues you point out. The day we played the greens where not at all fast but you still had to see some subtle breaks. Pretty smooth and mostly consistent. I believe that players who like to 'think' their way around a course could have a fun challenge on their second and third loops.

Eisenhower didn't wow me but I will keep it on the list of places to play in the area.

• Like 1

Maryland National on Tuesday was in great shape as usual. The wind was howling until the last couple of holes and really effected tee shots, knocking down anything remotely into the wind. Not good for short hitters like me. I really like playing there but the last 3 holes have to be the worst finishing stretch around. 16 is wonky and you have to play smart if you want to score. The par 3 17 green is not very deep and difficult to keep your tee shot on the narrow green. 18 is just a weak finishing hole both visually and playing wise. Nice staff and they have always been great to work with when our club has events there.