2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Tiger mentioned testing new shafts

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder what he could be trying out? Seemed like the Pro Orange was working pretty well for him. Maybe trying something that's not so anti-left?

“Working pretty well” - what planet do you live on? He can’t hit a fairway to save his life. These tiger fan boys never cease to amaze me.

I game a PO and I'll be the first to say I'm glad he is trying out something else. That said, I dont think his misses were a shaft issue. I wouldnt mind seeing him play like a 43.5" driver though.

Titleist TSi3 8° - HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60TX

Titleist TS3 15° - HZRDUS Black (Hand Crafted) 70TX

Titleist 818 H2 19° - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Ping i200 - SteelFiber i125x

Edison - SteelFiber i125s

LAB DF 2.1 Armlock - LAGP

Snell MTB-X

It doesnt matter what shaft he uses.

He needs a shrink to get him to finally accept that it’s OK not to be the longest Slugger on the block anymore.

Go back to a 44” shaft and swing 85% and be OK with “only” hitting it 320.

He has dialed back his speed a lot. He hit 129 mph earlier this season and lately he has been swinging sub 120.

Because he really only swings about 120. The 129 was a bad reading.

And what about the other dozen or so that were measured over 125? He had a 127.5 and 128.5 at the Honda too.

Yet his ballspeed only registered 181.8 and 180.9 those days. The same as the first 2 days when his club head speed was measured at 124. Clubhead speed gets measured high all the time. Ball speed is the more constant. He can still move it well but not 129 well. I’m not going to pollute the thread anymore, carry on.

Let’s get tiger in a synergy.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

He needs a shrink to get him to finally accept that it’s OK not to be the longest Slugger on the block anymore.

He has dialed back his speed a lot. He hit 129 mph earlier this season and lately he has been swinging sub 120.

Because he really only swings about 120. The 129 was a bad reading.

And what about the other dozen or so that were measured over 125? He had a 127.5 and 128.5 at the Honda too.

Yet his ballspeed only registered 181.8 and 180.9 those days. The same as the first 2 days when his club head speed was measured at 124. Clubhead speed gets measured high all the time. Ball speed is the more constant. He can still move it well but not 129 well. I’m not going to pollute the thread anymore, carry on.

Let’s get tiger in a synergy.

I used to think the same exact thing you are saying, but we are talking 3 different days with consistent launch and spin numbers to his others. Either way, he was swing at minimum in the area of 125 earlier this season and lately he is around 118. He has dialed it back.

Titleist TSi3 8° - HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60TX

Titleist TS3 15° - HZRDUS Black (Hand Crafted) 70TX

Titleist 818 H2 19° - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Ping i200 - SteelFiber i125x

Edison - SteelFiber i125s

LAB DF 2.1 Armlock - LAGP

Snell MTB-X

Wonder what he could be trying out? Seemed like the Pro Orange was working pretty well for him. Maybe trying something that's not so anti-left?

“Working pretty well” - what planet do you live on? He can’t hit a fairway to save his life. These tiger fan boys never cease to amaze me.

Working pretty well in a sense that he pretty much eliminated the left miss. 95% of his misses are to the right.

Aren't these what he started the year with? As poor as he still is, he was way worse back then.

Didn’t he have the Pro White to start the year then briefly messed around with a Matrix before going to the Pro Orange?

Yes. Don’t remember when he went to the Matrix, but the PO went in at Masters

Aren't these what he started the year with? As poor as he still is, he was way worse back then.

Didn’t he have the Pro White to start the year then briefly messed around with a Matrix before going to the Pro Orange?

https://golfweek.com/2018/03/13/tiger-woods-has-tweaked-his-driver-throughout-his-latest-return/

Found this. Looks like he went to the Matrix in February when he switched to the M3 prior to Riviera then went to the Pro Orange at Augusta. Quite a few weight placement changes are noted in there as well as various length adjustments.

Obviously he needs a change by the way he's been driving it so I wouldn't think it would be similar to the Orange Tensei he's been using. Find something that creates a one way miss! Having the weights in the M3 head set up for a draw like he had makes absolutely no sense to me. Just my opinion. Hopefully he moves them all the way forward or fade bias.

I have been thinking about this for a day or so and thought " why doesn't he just go back to the...." There isn't anything he has ever hit in the fairway! Maybe cobra DF and X100? He has never been a good driver of the ball, just never this bad before.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7

He was wiping them right and left so it's not really a matter of what shaft, heavier may help but he needs to find a go to "second serve" softer swing when he's not feeling it and needs to hit a fairway. He obviously doesn't like his 3 wood either or maybe he would hit that. Even his trusty driving iron was all over the place. He'll rectify it for sure but, dang.

I recommend a Grafalloy Blue xxx tipped 3" to play 41". Then use a tour issue 8.5 M3 set to lowest setting and weights forward. Maybe even try an extra layer of tape under left hand and 3 1/2 under right hand. If that doesn't work I suggest teeing the ball 4mm lower.

I think I would rather see Tiger playing from out of the trees, that's what he is the best at

I agree except that number would be around 285 average. I’m sure his 3 wood is good for 275 off the tee without much drama. . So there lies the issue. Why carry it at all !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I agree except that number would be around 285 average. I’m sure his 3 wood is good for 275 off the tee without much drama. . So there lies the issue. Why carry it at all !

Nah... Carry and roll at a “modest” 118-120 mph would still certainly yield more than 300 on average.

I swing a 43.5” at 110 and regularly flirt with 300 if it’s dry and I’m getting some rollout.

Nah... Carry and roll at a “modest” 118-120 mph would still certainly yield more than 300 on average.

I swing a 43.5” at 110 and regularly flirt with 300 if it’s dry and I’m getting some rollout.

With the pristine hard fairways they get to play on... He will average over 300 due to 30 yds of roll.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

DG X100

Bought one of them tipped X-one-Hunny's from Ace!

Whoop Whoop!!!

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS3/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

He has a negative AoA no? These super stiff tipped shafts don’t fit negative AoA.

Taylormade Qi10 9* HZRDUS 70 6.5

Titleist Tsi2 15* Tensei RAW Blue 75X

Titleist Tsr2 21* Tensei Black 85 TX
Srixon ZX5, ZX7 combo set 4-PW PX 6.0
Titleist SM5 50.12F, SM6 56.14F, 60.08M
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Stroke Lab
Titleist Pro V1X 2023

I had one up for sale on the Bay & I admit I was asking a premium......It literally sold for full price last night.

Guarantee it was a WRX'er after reading this post.

As for Tiger, I'm glad he's ditched the PO.....not a fit for him at all.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

https://golfweek.com...-latest-return/

Found this. Looks like he went to the Matrix in February when he switched to the M3 prior to Riviera then went to the Pro Orange at Augusta. Quite a few weight placement changes are noted in there as well as various length adjustments.

Seemed like he put that Matrix in when he was taking hacks at it - several 125 + SS measurements during that time. Appears to have dialed the SS back down to sub 120 lately and the Matrix probably was a little too stiff at the slower speed. I think Pro White was probably on the boardy feel side for him which is why he went to the Pro Orange which is a little smoother with the counterbalance weighting. If you look back over his career he's gravitated to a driver shaft that has more kick (Blueboard, Tour AD DI).

I think the D+ is a good transition from the boardier shafts feel he's been playing lately... Could see a KK XT coming into play if he doesn't get along with the D+. Similar low launch, low spin with more pronounced kick.

Tensei Orange fire sale!

Seems several guys that made the switch to PO are moving away from it... Rory, Sergio, Tiger, anyone else?

Wasn't Day using it? He's back to a TPT shaft now.

Wondering if there will be a trickle down effect on tour... Guys start losing confidence in this shaft since Tiger has determined it not to be a good fit.

I canʻt tell is this sarcasm? Since most of them can hit a fairway and he canʻt.

Itʻs not the shaft....

Let me start by saying this... I am FAR from Tiger Woods.

I have done a lot of testing of the PO though. After all of it, on Trackman and the course (tight courses and open) I’ve concluded this - it’s a bit of a lighting rod.

What I mean is I honestly don’t think there is a shaft out there with better ball speed efficiency. However, it’s a bit of a wild horse unless you are really swinging pure. I find that despite hitting some insanely long balls with it this year, it’s been hard to tame. The strength of my game has always been driving accuracy w healthy length.

So, while I am NOT a shadow of Tiger in terms of talent, I’m not surprised that he’s moving away from the orange.

As several wise folks above said. What’s 5-8 yards if you’re on the far side of a creek having to punch out on the back nine at the PGA.

I hope the D plus is the ticket.

https://golfweek.com...-latest-return/

Seemed like he put that Matrix in when he was taking hacks at it - several 125 + SS measurements during that time. Appears to have dialed the SS back down to sub 120 lately and the Matrix probably was a little too stiff at the slower speed. I think Pro White was probably on the boardy feel side for him which is why he went to the Pro Orange which is a little smoother with the counterbalance weighting. If you look back over his career he's gravitated to a driver shaft that has more kick (Blueboard, Tour AD DI).

I think the D+ is a good transition from the boardier shafts feel he's been playing lately... Could see a KK XT coming into play if he doesn't get along with the D+. Similar low launch, low spin with more pronounced kick.

When the D+ LTD is tipped it can get a little boardy, which is why I never agreed with it. I need some kick & for me a properly tipped CK Pro White gives me just that (The PW isn't boardy at all to me). I will say the LTD DOES play similar to the OG WB so maybe he is looking for a nostalgic feel.

There are so many are going away from the PO.....It's full of tech & does great on a Monitor but on the course it can get really wild.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115

Tensei Orange fire sale!

Seems several guys that made the switch to PO are moving away from it... Rory, Sergio, Tiger, anyone else?

Wasn't Day using it? He's back to a TPT shaft now.

Wondering if there will be a trickle down effect on tour... Guys start losing confidence in this shaft since Tiger has determined it not to be a good fit.

I canʻt tell is this sarcasm? Since most of them can hit a fairway and he canʻt.

Itʻs not the shaft....

No sarcasm at all. You don't think Tiger going away from this shaft could lead to other tour players questioning it? The surge in this shaft on tour immediately followed Tiger putting it in play. Surely there could be a potential decline in it's presence if he takes it out of the bag.

Just like us amateurs wanting to play the same equipment as the guys on tour with our reasoning being "if it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for me" there's a similar sentiment with tour guys that "if it's good enough for Tiger..."

Tiger is last of the big names to ditch the PO I believe.......& GASP he's playing a "Made in China" "Made For Titleist" Shaft.....there are some retailer here who are not gonna be happy.