2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What Does Callaway Have In Store For 2019?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those irons look really nice but I am not sure they will lure me back to Callaway.

The new Apex pros might because they look really good!!

I almost hope you are right. I had been a Callaway only guy for quite a while until my last debacle ordering MBs to go along with a few other experiences with long backorder times. I tend to order my equipment in the winter so I don't mind waiting a month or even two. When it gets beyond that I get antsy especially when I am out $1000+.

I will be buying new irons this winter and right now the front runner is Ping. I liked the Cobra MBs a lot but the CBs in the long irons just didn't perform like I wanted them to.

Show me something Callaway. Let's go.

Looks like I need to start saving for a new driver, hybrid, and PM grind at a minimum.

Once the photos of the Apex Pros comes out, I imagine they'll be added to the list too.

Callaway looks like they're in line for a monster 2019

Titleist TSR3 8* Ventus TR Red 
Titleist TSR3 16.5* Evenflow T1100

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titleist T350 4 T200 5 T150 6-9 Accra iSeries 125

Titleist Vokey SM9 46*F (@45) / 50*F / 56*D (@55*) / 60*M DG TI X100
SC Super Select Squareback 2

Anyone have access yet to price point for apex irons and apex hybrids?

Also curious if someone could tell us if iron lofts are the same as apex cf16.

Thanks.

8 stick set of Apex irons will be appx. $1300. Not sure about the hybrid, sorry.

Lofts will be very similar to the CF16 if not identical. Not traditional, but not juiced out of their mind either.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Anyone have access yet to price point for apex irons and apex hybrids?

Also curious if someone could tell us if iron lofts are the same as apex cf16.

Thanks.

Loft is irrelevant. That's what loft/lie machines are for. Not to mention with their manufacturing tolerances you never know what you're going to get. I've received plenty of brand new irons from Callaway where both loft and lie were not the advertised spec.

Titleist TSR3 Driver
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 3i

Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60*
Byron Morgan 615

Callaway Chrome Tour

A worthy replacement ... say hello to Apex a Forged CF19

Can we see pictures of the sole and top line please?!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I should be getting a look and test drive on most if not all of the 2019 Callaway range this Friday.

So I did get to look at the whole 2019 line and hit most everything at least once. Really do think it's Callaway's strongest overall product line to date.

Flash SubZero Driver: Agree with others that the shape is quite similar to the FT-Tour. For those that dislike the shape of Rogue and Epic SZ, this will win over most. Sound isn't the quietest ever, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as tinny or annoying in any way. The Tensei AV blue has a very smooth feel through swing and impact similar to shafts that will cost much more. There is a big difference between the SZ and standard Flash at address with the standard looking much longer from front to back and shallower in the face. The impact feel in the standard was also just a tad more hollow, but not a huge deal.

Flash Fairways: Beautiful shape at address, excellent feel and sound, really hot off the face and very low spin. Couldn't find anything about either model that I didn't REALLY love.

Apex Pro iron: Very reminiscent cosmetically of the irons in Xander S's bag, but the retail Pros are forged with Face Cup in the 3-7 iron. The Face Cup will boost ball speed at the cost of sounding a bit louder than a traditional forging. The difference in sound and feel is noticeable but not stark or necessarily offensive, it's just rather apparent that it's not a one piece forging. The 8-P are traditional one piece forgings and sound and feel exactly like one would expect.

Apex Iron: Addition here is Variable Face Thickness for the first time in a forged iron. VFT is there to help with ball speed but also to keep the spin more consistent. Apparently the CF16 Apex had a propensity to produce hot flyers and the new face should help alleviate that.

Big Bertha Iron: New PVD black finish should be more durable than previous. Have to agree with what I've heard from others that these BB irons offer a tremendous combination of ease of use, good looks, good feel and sound. Think these are going to be a massive hit, particularly with the 50+ crowd, but after hitting the irons and hybrid my thought was that I could play them without much trouble at all.

Big Bertha Hybrid: As good as the irons are, the BB hybrid was probably the biggest pleasant surprise. It's big at address and the shape will look funky to better players, but we hit ball after ball that had us all smiling and laughing, saying things like "oh, how good is that" and "oh my, that's amazing". These will be available all the way down to a 8 hybrid, which again I think will make them a huge hit with players who struggle to elevate the ball enough and lack speed. They really are the long game EASY button.

Apex hybrid: Don't get me wrong, this one is good. Maybe it was just that my expectations for it were too high, I don't know. The shiny finish just doesn't look quite right. Had an unusually hard feel to it and also the spin seemed to my eye to be too low to really be effective. Again, good club and others may love it, but being such a huge fan of the original Apex hybrid I was rather let down.

Mickelson 2.0 Wedge: Little more offset than the original, more bounce than the original, C grind instead of U grind. Looks even more like the Eye 2 at address than the original did. I had trouble with the original PM being prone to digging, but found the 2.0 to be better in that regard. Face milling is done in such a way as to keep spin and spin axis more consistent with shots struck with a square face. Available in satin or black.

SuperSoft Magna ball: Slightly larger diameter ball which raises the CG slightly higher above the ground making it easier launch the ball higher. Another product that will likely be a major hit with club golfers who are advancing in age. A slightly tweaked SuperSoft will also be available in standard diameter.

ERC ball: Designed to match the soft feel and very low spin long game spin offered by AVX while offering more spin than AVX as you get closer to the green.

WITB Link

I should be getting a look and test drive on most if not all of the 2019 Callaway range this Friday.

So I did get to look at the whole 2019 line and hit most everything at least once. Really do think it's Callaway's strongest overall product line to date.

Flash SubZero Driver: Agree with others that the shape is quite similar to the FT-Tour. For those that dislike the shape of Rogue and Epic SZ, this will win over most. Sound isn't the quietest ever, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as tinny or annoying in any way. The Tensei AV blue has a very smooth feel through swing and impact similar to shafts that will cost much more. There is a big difference between the SZ and standard Flash at address with the standard looking much longer from front to back and shallower in the face. The impact feel in the standard was also just a tad more hollow, but not a huge deal.

Flash Fairways: Beautiful shape at address, excellent feel and sound, really hot off the face and very low spin. Couldn't find anything about either model that I didn't REALLY love.

Apex Pro iron: Very reminiscent cosmetically of the irons in Xander S's bag, but the retail Pros are forged with Face Cup in the 3-7 iron. The Face Cup will boost ball speed at the cost of sounding a bit louder than a traditional forging. The difference in sound and feel is noticeable but not stark or necessarily offensive, it's just rather apparent that it's not a one piece forging. The 8-P are traditional one piece forgings and sound and feel exactly like one would expect.

Apex Iron: Addition here is Variable Face Thickness for the first time in a forged iron. VFT is there to help with ball speed but also to keep the spin more consistent. Apparently the CF16 Apex had a propensity to produce hot flyers and the new face should help alleviate that.

Big Bertha Iron: New PVD black finish should be more durable than previous. Have to agree with what I've heard from others that these BB irons offer a tremendous combination of ease of use, good looks, good feel and sound. Think these are going to be a massive hit, particularly with the 50+ crowd, but after hitting the irons and hybrid my thought was that I could play them without much trouble at all.

Big Bertha Hybrid: As good as the irons are, the BB hybrid was probably the biggest pleasant surprise. It's big at address and the shape will look funky to better players, but we hit ball after ball that had us all smiling and laughing, saying things like "oh, how good is that" and "oh my, that's amazing". These will be available all the way down to a 8 hybrid, which again I think will make them a huge hit with players who struggle to elevate the ball enough and lack speed. They really are the long game EASY button.

Apex hybrid: Don't get me wrong, this one is good. Maybe it was just that my expectations for it were too high, I don't know. The shiny finish just doesn't look quite right. Had an unusually hard feel to it and also the spin seemed to my eye to be too low to really be effective. Again, good club and others may love it, but being such a huge fan of the original Apex hybrid I was rather let down.

Mickelson 2.0 Wedge: Little more offset than the original, more bounce than the original, C grind instead of U grind. Looks even more like the Eye 2 at address than the original did. I had trouble with the original PM being prone to digging, but found the 2.0 to be better in that regard. Face milling is done in such a way as to keep spin and spin axis more consistent with shots struck with a square face. Available in satin or black.

SuperSoft Magna ball: Slightly larger diameter ball which raises the CG slightly higher above the ground making it easier launch the ball higher. Another product that will likely be a major hit with club golfers who are advancing in age. A slightly tweaked SuperSoft will also be available in standard diameter.

ERC ball: Designed to match the soft feel and very low spin long game spin offered by AVX while offering more spin than AVX as you get closer to the green.

Thanks for the detailed run down!

These will be available all the way down to a 8 hybrid,

Called the Ocho

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Fairways IMO are the best looking I have ever seen. The problem for is they are way too low spinning for me, will have to find a shaft for a fit...

PING G430 Max 8 degree (digitally lofted) TR Blue 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D4 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

Did you actually get to test the ERC ball. Its amazing. I used them for the end of the season and i was absolutely in love with them.

Did you actually get to test the ERC ball. Its amazing. I used them for the end of the season and i was absolutely in love with them.

No, just looked at them.

WITB Link

No, just looked at them.

I tried the AVX for a while because it certainly seemed like a good concept. I took about 6 ERC and 6 AVX out to the 1st tee late on afternoon and hit them all alternating and I will say that my distance was consistently longer with the ERC. The 3 lines on the side certainly does help a ton with putting. Short game seemed just as good as any other tour ball i have used. With a slightly lower price point i think these will be high selling and flying off the shelves.

hmm wasn’t a big fan of the cup face feel. Not what I wanted to hear on the apex pros. Thanks tho.

Apex Pro sound like a bust for what I am looking for. Seems like my decision in late January will not be including the Apex Pro :/.

I got to hit them a couple days ago. I know the first reaction is to shy away from them, but man the sound and feel is not much different than my current X-Forged 18. However, I gained a few yards without sacrificing any spin. I think if people take a few swings with this club they’ll be reaching for their credit cards. I wouldn’t count them out without trying them first.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi 1k Black 65 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
TaylorMade Soto Long Neck

Pro V1

Fairways IMO are the best looking I have ever seen. The problem for is they are way too low spinning for me, will have to find a shaft for a fit...

I have concerns over them being too low spin as well. With force me to pair with a high spin shaft

Or,and I know this isn't a popular opinion around here, stick with something that fits you better like your current FW. ;-)

I have concerns over them being too low spin as well. With force me to pair with a high spin shaft

Or,and I know this isn't a popular opinion around here, stick with something that fits you better like your current FW. ;-)

Nah

Really think the look on the new apex is a step down from the cf16. It’s not a a bad look just not an improvement. Cup face in the pros is also a big no no for me, probably going with x forged instead

Also think they could cut back on models, way way way too many considering they are keeping all three rogue irons in line along with x forged and mb. Starting to become the TM of irons.

Apex Pro sound like a bust for what I am looking for. Seems like my decision in late January will not be including the Apex Pro :/.

I got to hit them a couple days ago. I know the first reaction is to shy away from them, but man the sound and feel is not much different than my current X-Forged 18. However, I gained a few yards without sacrificing any spin. I think if people take a few swings with this club they'll be reaching for their credit cards. I wouldn't count them out without trying them first.

Thanks for sharing - that is what I am particularly interested in, if the new Apex Pro is markedly different in any way compared to the 2018 X-Forged. I really got along well with those over the past year, but curious about a head to head comparison, certainly.

Callaway Epic Max | Mitsubishi MMT 70X
Callaway Epic Speed 15* | Mitsubishi MMT 80X
Callaway Apex Pro 18* | Mitsubishi MMT 90X
Callaway Apex 21 4-PW | Project X 6.5
Callaway MD5 Jaws 48* | TT DG S400

Callaway MD5 Jaws 54* | TT DG S400

Callaway MD5 Jaws 60* | TT DG S400
Toulon Las Vegas | SuperStroke Flatso 2.0

I got to hit them a couple days ago. I know the first reaction is to shy away from them, but man the sound and feel is not much different than my current X-Forged 18. However, I gained a few yards without sacrificing any spin. I think if people take a few swings with this club they'll be reaching for their credit cards. I wouldn't count them out without trying them first.

Thanks for sharing - that is what I am particularly interested in, if the new Apex Pro is markedly different in any way compared to the 2018 X-Forged. I really got along well with those over the past year, but curious about a head to head comparison, certainly.

New Apex Pros look and shape are basically 2018 X Forged shape with 2016 Apex Pro looks. If CF feels same as before I will be going with X Forged

New Apex Pros look and shape are basically 2018 X Forged shape with 2016 Apex Pro looks. If CF feels same as before I will be going with X Forged

I completely disagree. Setting them side by side the shapes are definitely different. The only similarity to the 16 Apex Pros is the shiny chrome finish instead of the brushed finish of XF. I wish I had taken pics but my rep didn’t want me to.