Advice on how to get referred?

Hello,

I am a young professional (32) new to the area and looking to join one of the clubs near the city (Charles River, Brae Burn, TCC, Weston.) I've tried calling the membership offices of the clubs, but keep being told that I need to know members in order to be considered

Does anyone have any advice on how to meet members at these clubs? Any suggestions on how to break in?

Thank you in advance for your help!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's now $30K over 3 years, $25K over 2 years, or $20K in 1 year. They are finishing a $10M gut reno of the clubhouse and pool by June, expansion of the driving range (I think to 200 yards... yeah no

In your situation, it's just going to be tough. Those four clubs, combined, probably have <100 members in your age bracket. Depending on your industry, your best bet is that an older colleague / partner is a member, or people in your neighborhood (if you live in close proximity to one of them).

But even then, the admissions process is not trivial - it's not a world where you just need a dude to "introduce" you and then you're good. You need to know a few members who would be enthusiastic about you joining.

Try picking up platform tennis. I play at a public spot, but we play Dedham, TCC, Weston, Wellesley etc. I can call a handful of members at any club now. Look for Gilfoy/Truck Stop if you've ever played tennis you should give it a whirl.

That's actually a really good suggestion...Brookline Paddle also has a lot of overlap with the clubs in question.

I'm the head of our recruitment committee at Truck Stop, if anyone wants more info our club is looking for players and has no wait list- we'd just need to do a quick skill audit to make sure you can play on our A or B team, we do not have a C team. Dues run $600 for the year inclusive of the league. Everyone buys beer twice and food once during the season, so add another $150 to that and thats your all in cost. Full access to courts and our hut. A bunch of us golf too, just arent members at those places. I used to play to a 4, now im shooting in the mid 80s with kids etc.

I recently moved to Boston from Chicagoland where I belonged to a club. Now that I know some people I was able to call around and found there aren't many golf clubs in my price range. Most have a decent discount for under 35 on the down payment but require a gross up to adult initiation based on total spend when you turn 35. We would join as a family, and pretty sure all were going to take my wife's age and not mine (shes already 35) so no discount! Nashawtuc was the most affordable, we could swing the down payment for under 35, but when you combined the balance due when i turned 35 it wasn't really an option.

Note: Not knocking BPC but Brookline Paddle has a waiting list and at least 25 guys at each level, if you're new, odds are you wont be playing a whole lot. Truck Stop (Gilfoy Platform Tennis Club) is in Billerica and play in the same league at the same levels (except C, we only have A and B). Season starts 2nd week of October.

PM me for more info. We're having our kick off event with instruction 9/22 and generally a solid group gets out once a week to play. Always looking for players.

Try picking up platform tennis. I play at a public spot, but we play Dedham, TCC, Weston, Wellesley etc. I can call a handful of members at any club now. Look for Gilfoy/Truck Stop if you've ever played tennis you should give it a whirl.

That's actually a really good suggestion...Brookline Paddle also has a lot of overlap with the clubs in question.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the feedback

Any input on TPC Boston? I know it's a bit far, but they seem to have openings for members now

On joining or the course itself? I can answer the latter. I have played there twice and LOVE the course, especially after the re-did it. It's a very New England feeling course.

Are you living in the city or North/South/West of it?

There is a FANTASTIC course in Kingston called Indian Pond that is reasonable to join. Played there twice and loved the track.

GBB 9* Fubuki Alpha 70x/RFE 9.5* Diamana Kai'LI 70S
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the feedback

Any input on TPC Boston? I know it's a bit far, but they seem to have openings for members now

TPC Boston and The International are sort of “the best clubs you can join” in the area. The problem with both is proximity to Boston. When I lived in Back Bay, a guy a couple of doors down from me was a member at TPC - and he loved it, but the distance wore on him. You lose the “quick” element of private golf when you have to drive 50 minutes each way.

Unless you’re really hung up on a classic “you can take clients out” experience, I think there are better alternatives: Wollaston, Oakley, Nashawtuc, Blue Hill, Thorny Lea, etc.

TPC is bring your own foursome most of the time - not really a members club.

But up and down 95 are some good options - Walpole, Cape Club of Sharon, Blue Hills -- all looking for members...

Framingham is probably a decent option also...

You should definitely play Oakley before making that decision - Golf Course is a little strange, got some quirks...

The closer to Boston the harder it gets to join the god/great clubs - TCC, Winchester, Pinebrook, Weston, Dedham, Charles River, Belmont, etc...

For the clubs you mention, network your rear end off and don't ask anyone about the membership process or $ (unless it comes up, but probably still not $). Wait for invites if you become close with any members and then conduct yourself well. That's really all you can hope for as someone new to the area (it is very provincial here, for better or worse). If you are a good stick and cut from a certain cloth that might help your cause as well! Haha. I think the paddle suggestion was a great idea as well.

• 6 months later...

It's now $30K over 3 years, $25K over 2 years, or $20K in 1 year. They are finishing a $10M gut reno of the clubhouse and pool by June, expansion of the driving range (I think to 200 yards... yeah not great but better than what it used to be), and some other smaller improvements to tee boxes, water management, etc. There is a nice short game area.

It is a short, tight course, 6100 yards - and quirky. It's on a hill in the middle of Watertown, and with some nice city views. Because the course is short, and because it's a Ross design, the greens are shaped like potato chips and well protected with bunkers and swales. They roll them out to some ridiculous stimp, and grow the rough out. Hit fairways and have some decent short game, or else.

Admittedly, it's not my favorite course but I still enjoy playing it weekly. The membership is incredibly welcoming and there are actually people BSing in the bar every night and especially Weds and Saturday nights, Sunday afternoons. All walks of life, people who work with their hands and their minds. Some very wealthy people but you'd never know it. No pretense.

• Like 1