The 2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National (MERGED)

fillwelix

Furyk comes from the time of the US's worst Ryder Cup performances, why reward that with a Captaincy? We obviously didn't play well, but most of our troubles come down to bad management and pitiful pairings. Personally, I think Furyk was a worse Captain than Pavin or Sutton. Incapable of inspiring anyone, and too dull to be imaginative with the pairings. Scared to see who they pick next.

It will Mr Inspiration.... Steve Stricker. 3-7-1 record.

Good luck!

Sure but the problem is everyone of age/time in their career for being considered, likely has a losing record due to the US losing 9/12 or whatever it is now.

If they really wanted to think outside the box, there is one obvious choice: Butch Harmon

He knows all of them, has been or is a coach/consultant to them and would have their respect. And I don't think anywhere it says they have to pick a player/former player. Pretty sure Butch was/is a card carrying PGA professional* too.

*Note I don't mean PGA Tour, but PGA Pro.

Tiger's generation in Ryder Cup

Furyk 10-20-4 LOST

Phil 18-22-7

Tiger 13-21-3

Stewart Cink 5-7-7

Zach Johnson 8-7-2: if it isn't Stricker, it's likely to be him

Matt Kuchar 6-7-2

Bubba Watson 4-10

Justin Leonard 2-4-6

Hunter Mahan 4-4-4 (!)

David Toms 4-6-2

Jeff Maggert 6-5

Stricker 3-7-1

Chad Campbell 3-4-2

Zach Johnson? He's a tough player and you'd have to think that any team he led would at least have some real grit.

and he has stayed in the house with Jordan, Justin and Rickie during British Open trips

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The RC is a different animal with the addition of the rest of Europe. So generational comparisons are moot. No Seve or Jose Maria or Sergio etc, no Swedes, no Francesco.

Maybe we should get all of North America to choose from. That would really tick off those pesky Canadians ...eh?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I have been traveling and have not seen it, but the questions that needed to be asked and answered are:

-Why was America’s best duo broken up? JT could carry a team, so why pair him with Spieth?

-Why did Phil play Foursomes?

-Why were the #6 and #7 players in birdies (Phil/Bryson) on tour not in Fourballs?

-Why not move Tiger’s group up, knowing Molinari/Fleetwood would likely be in group 3 or 4?

-Why has the pod system seemingly been abandoned?

-Why didn’t a hot Finau play Saturday afternoon?

Furyk completely mismanaged this and did not read the pulse of his team.

Been watching these with much anticipation since I was a teenager starting in '89, was my favorite event for most of the 90's...when Tiger burst onto the scene, not at Augusta but with those incredible performances during the match play victories of US Am's, my thoughts went immediately to "Wow, this guy will mop the cart paths with Euro's in the Ryder Cup for the next 20yrs when he turns pro." The fire, the passion, refuse to lose and that ability to seemongly will the ball in the hole in the most clutch moments...but what we have seen is a guy that just hasn't performed to the standard he set during those Am's and his Professional stroke play domination of his prime. If you are old enough/were interested enough to have watched those Ryder Cups of his prime, what we saw this week was just more of the same uniinspired, really average play. Not a criticism but an observation...think lot of people that got their first real view of a physically sound Tiger the last few months, and especially after last weeks win, thought like I did in 90's....he is going to be 5-0 and prob not see a hole past 14 all week. History tells us different, the reasons why, only he really knows.

Think it just goes back to that quote where he asked how many people know Jack's Ryder Cup record. He has been pretty good in the WGC Match Play. Seems he cares way more about that one.

I enjoy watching team golf. I enjoy watching the Euros play in the Ryder Cup because, somehow, they've figured out how to do this.

I don't know what it is and I don't know if anyone truly knows.

One thing though. The success of these players, both in the RC and here in the states has increased my watching of European Tour golf.

I really think it would help our guys if we played some Euro events. I don't understand why nobody here plays Wentworth.

Purses, unfortunately. Only the Rolex series (8 tournaments throughout the season) have better purses than the average PGA event. They are $7.5M, less than the $10M WGC and less than the $11-11.5M from Majors.

A regular ET event might have a purse of around $2.5M, which is $500K less than the worst PGA event. Players play for money, and unless they've secured the card, they have to keep going at it unfortunately.

French Open purse $7,000,000

Quicken Loans National purse that same week $7,1000,000

Well, the French Open is part of the Rolex series (they are $7M, only the last is $7.5, my bad). Why US players didn't attend is beyond me.

Absolutely. What we just watched isn't real golf. It's a Pete dye disciples idea of a true test. Basically turned each tee shot into a cut of the cards. Or roll of the wheel. USA lost a lot of those dice throws. Rory lost one on 18. He tried to cheat the system and layback and didn't commit. Yet he knew if he hit Driver off 2-3 yards left or right it was trouble. That crosses the line form skill to luck.

What we just saw was a proper test of golf that rewards hitting fairways and penalises wayward shots rather than rewarding a 330 yard bomb that is off line. Players like Simpson had zero issues and the only thing Rory was unlucky with was pulling a plugged lie in a face of a fairway bunker as it shouldn't have so much sand up the face for that to happen. His tee shot was off line and Thomas had no issues finding the fairway. There should be more courses like this.

Lol. Well. If you want golf to die. Yes.

What you miss is taking Driver from long players hands. The way to get where you want to go is shortening the distance they hit Driver. NOT taking Driver away. Rory hit plenty of good drives that don't find the fairway. A 20 yard wide fairway 320 out is a joke . Crosses the line of accuracy and into plain old luck.

Again. I'm only talking about setup. The euro team players deserve to win. Their skill matched with Lady Luck very well this week. It was the best setup to trip up the horsepower that the USA brought to town. Slow undulating greens plus 8 inch rough. A bombers nightmare.

Just think if the US Tour played "real golf" we could have the same teeming throngs of fans and vast sums of unlimited cash that the European Tour enjoys.

Something is going on that we do not know about....some tense situations. And that is without even mentioning neither Spieth or Reed wanting to open their mouth about not being paired together. But what was REALLY weird was both Spieth's and Johnson's reaction to Tiger.

First, Tiger still sounding on painkillers goes on to tell us how much he has been playing....then fast forward

Spieth not remembering the name of the pod system looks down the long table and asks Tiger.....insert crickets....after about 5 seconds more of silence, Spieth mumbles "Nice talk Tiger"....to which Johnson says, "He played 7 of 8 weeks".....an obvious smart A jab, as in "Look Tiger" we are all tired"

Just some very weird back and forth comments......anyone else notice this? If not, go back and listen.

BTW, some really bad captains picks.

I think it is understandable they are ALL frustrated. They just got the crap kicked outta them by an "inferior team" on paper. They were also out foxed by the snaggletooth himself TBjorn.

Absolutely. What we just watched isn't real golf. It's a Pete dye disciples idea of a true test. Basically turned each tee shot into a cut of the cards. Or roll of the wheel. USA lost a lot of those dice throws. Rory lost one on 18. He tried to cheat the system and layback and didn't commit. Yet he knew if he hit Driver off 2-3 yards left or right it was trouble. That crosses the line form skill to luck.

What we just saw was a proper test of golf that rewards hitting fairways and penalises wayward shots rather than rewarding a 330 yard bomb that is off line. Players like Simpson had zero issues and the only thing Rory was unlucky with was pulling a plugged lie in a face of a fairway bunker as it shouldn't have so much sand up the face for that to happen. His tee shot was off line and Thomas had no issues finding the fairway. There should be more courses like this.

What you miss is taking Driver from long players hands. The way to get where you want to go is shortening the distance they hit Driver. NOT taking Driver away. Rory hit plenty of good drives that don't find the fairway. A 20 yard wide fairway 320 out is a joke . Crosses the line of accuracy and into plain old luck.

Again. I'm only talking about setup. The euro team players deserve to win. Their skill matched with Lady Luck very well this week. It was the best setup to trip up the horsepower that the USA brought to town. Slow undulating greens plus 8 inch rough. A bombers nightmare.

LOL! Ya all these l'il plucky pea shooters sure did have the luck against those god given talented studs on the US team. I always forget how short hitting all the Euro players are smh.

Where were all those fantastic iron shots Brooks and DJ hit at the US Open this week? Oh that's right, in the sh1t because they have no ability to adjust their game and played poorly, while the European players did have the intestinal fortitude and mental toughness to adjust their games and played well.

But keep churning the wheel on the good 'ol luck excuse. It's great it's helping you through the result, we all need coping mechanisms ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Nah, when youre the player of Tigers ilk and legend after a while the pattern is who you are and its 99% on you.if youre so far above the competition 362 days a year ( were talking prime tiger) and you suddenly forget how to play for 3 days over and over its very telling. I wanted him to ride off into the sunset and expected a little more as hes a new guy now with a better attitude. but..

tenor.gif

Except this isn't prime Tiger. We all know that. Fleetwood and Molinari are both in good form. You expected him to beat those guys by himself? I don't expect that out of him these days. Reed literally put 80+ on the board this morning with his own ball.

Now your criticism about him in his prime is fair enough. Even with crap partners, a guy that wins majors by 15 shots could at least win a four-ball match by himself. Alternate shot is a different story.

the bolded is the problem and the delusion youre pushing. Reed was crap off the tee yet tiger never clubbed down to find fairways when reed was in trouble. Reed shot 80 tiger shot 76-77 at least. Tiger has done absolutely nothing well in 2 days. i expected a better attitude from him and making some clutch putts for momentum like this mattered. molinari was dunking on him all day yesterday and today while tiger was lagging his putts. Poulter and molinari and fleetwood were bruising the back of the cup. So were speith and thomas. Thomas and speith showed fire making clutch putts. Is that too much to ask? With tiger current form i expected more

Very predicable for Tiger's game to come back in. Last week was the peak of 5 years of work. I expected him to have some what of a let down this week, but his partners have been pretty awful to compound things.

Lol Tiger didnt shoot 76 77

this guy agrees with me! :taunt:

“It’s frustrating because we came here, I thought we were all playing pretty well, and I just didn’t perform at the level that I had been playing and just got behind early in the matches and never got back,” Woods said.

The RC is a different animal with the addition of the rest of Europe. So generational comparisons are moot. No Seve or Jose Maria or Sergio etc, no Swedes, no Francesco.

Maybe we should get all of North America to choose from. That would really tick off those pesky Canadians ...eh?

Unless you pick Brooke Henderson, none of them could actually help :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Trump for captain in 2020.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Patrick Reeds wife going off on twitter: LOL

https://www.golf.com...twitter-spieth/

got to agree with her here re-pairings:

"Exactly. And Tiger and Justin play well together as well and I think Ricky found a great partner in Justin in the last Presidents cup ‘17, therefore if Tiger needed to rest or vice verse...they could easily have been interchangeable." ..And KEEP Reed and YJS together...

The question about Reed and Spieth was the most interesting due to no one wanting to answer. Something going on with Reed/Spieth based on Reed’s wife moments on twitter. Rest of press conference was standard. Tiger gave his standard “it was reall tough out there” comments. Phil said he played bad.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

"Exactly. And Tiger and Justin play well together as well and I think Ricky found a great partner in Justin in the last Presidents cup ‘17, therefore if Tiger needed to rest or vice verse...they could easily have been interchangeable." ..And KEEP Reed and YJS together...

Justine needs to shut her yapper!

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Just think if the US Tour played "real golf" we could have the same teeming throngs of fans and vast sums of unlimited cash that the European Tour enjoys.

Might even be two dimensional instead of one as well.

Too bad they can't spend a fraction of their millions on how to play out of rough.

Christine needs to shut her yapper!

then how are they going to be the most hated golf couple ever, lol?

We need some real competition - perhaps we should start playing a Korean LPGA team when the Merkins are playing the POTUS Cup?

How about the European Laver Cup team (Europe vs the rest of the world in mens tennis)

Roger Federer

Rafael Nadal

Novak Djokovic

Alexander Zverev

Dominic Thiem

Marin Cilic

Gregor Dimitrov (7 out of the top 8 in the world are European)

add in Andy Murray and Stan Warinka coming off injury....

The Euros are better at mens tennis than they are at mens golf

Both of my American dark horses (Finau and Webb) came through with flying colors. Poulter and Garcia did work (regardless of “current play” opinion) as they should have.

My main issues were with two specific people: Fowler and Spieth. Spieth is one of my favorite guys to watch but Jesus does he have a “guaranteed loss” stamped on his head now in singles (0-6 Ryder/Pres), and Fowler looked absolutely lost. There was a lot of piss poor play to go around but the two I expected to stick some points up looked like they just wanted to go home on the first hole. Mickelson was at least trying to make something happen against Mr. 5-0 but Moliari was on a mission.

Great win for Europe, back to the drawing board.

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Blue Smoke RDX 6.5
Apex UW 19* Black Smoke RDX 6.5
4-PW: Callaway Prototype PX 6.5 LZ
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

that french crowd was loud, where has golden balls dubuison or whatever hes called gone to? Would be great to see some more french players making a mark, i wonder will this kickstart golf in france, doubt it, the french like certain sports and dont seem to bother with others

there was something missing from hazeltine though, those shouters on the euro players backswings, that was a new low in crowd participation, hope they sort them out for wisconsin

this course would have suited zach johnson very well, i mean since this ryder cup was just a game of bingo in reality he strikes me as a kinda lucky guy

Christine needs to shut her yapper!

then how asre they going to be the most hated golf couple ever, lol?

If they're not careful the only person willing to partner Reed next time is gonna be JacobEDGE

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I have been traveling and have not seen it, but the questions that needed to be asked and answered are:

-Why was America’s best duo broken up? JT could carry a team, so why pair him with Spieth?

-Why did Phil play Foursomes?

-Why were the #6 and #7 players in birdies (Phil/Bryson) on tour not in Fourballs?

-Why not move Tiger’s group up, knowing Molinari/Fleetwood would likely be in group 3 or 4?

-Why has the pod system seemingly been abandoned?

-Why didn’t a hot Finau play Saturday afternoon?

Furyk completely mismanaged this and did not read the pulse of his team.

spot on! And Phil in alternate shot at this place the # 1 head scratcher