The 2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National (MERGED)

fillwelix

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what It means for the Euro Player who didn't make it -

Matt couldn't have done any more to get into the team to be honest. In hindsight, would he have been better than Sergio? Probably not. I've had to hold my hands up and say Sergio delivered when I had zero confidence the he would.

But it's great to see the focus and dedication towards the cause. Other than Bubba two years ago I cannot think of any US player who takes it as seriously, has the RC as a goal. Don't imagine too many will be grinding this week that's for sure.

However two years is a long time. Two years ago obituaries for Tiger and Poulter were ten a penny. Matt will need to up his game to get in ahead of those 12 today. They were incredible.

I'm curious to know why the mods quickly locked the thread about the US press conference (now also deleted). Is wrx moderated by the PGA Tour marketing and public relations departments?

Edit: Oh and now the choking thread is also locked.

I think they are doing a good job keeping a lid on the rampant Tiger speculation - there's no need for it. Can easily go to Twitter or maybe a Redit channel if that's what folks are into.

Not seen him around today (maybe he got sin binned) but one or two users in particular have been going way OTT.

The problem is that they are locking and or removing threads that have even been covered in the news. Regarding the presser thread: Analyzing body language and words from the press conference is good discussion.

Ya well this is why we cannot have nice things.

The mods know the slippery slope to gongshow threads and they're simply nipping them in the bud. I don't blame them. We'll live if they have to shutdown threads that the vast majority of us can navigate nicely, because some guys just don't know when its last orders and they want more drinks.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

This is what It means for the Euro Player who didn't make it -

Matt couldn't have done any more to get into the team to be honest. In hindsight, would he have been better than Sergio? Probably not. I've had to hold my hands up and say Sergio delivered when I had zero confidence the he would.

But it's great to see the focus and dedication towards the cause. Other than Bubba two years ago I cannot think of any US player who takes it as seriously, has the RC as a goal. Don't imagine too many will be grinding this week that's for sure.

However two years is a long time. Two years ago obituaries for Tiger and Poulter were ten a penny. Matt will need to up his game to get in ahead of those 12 today. They were incredible.

I believe controversial picks had to do with the amount of rookies that earned their spots via ET points (Hatton, Olesen, Fleetwood, Rahm) And although these are definitely winners, Ryder Cup pressure is different. Bjorn didn't want a choking fiesta like in 2016.

Wallace is 28, a great golfer and I'm sure he will have his opportunity. This just shows how important it is for European players.

Ugh. Jordan, Bubba, Phil and Jim need to issue an apology for wasting the PGA of America's money on a plane ticket. What a disgrace. But at least they play lights out at those St. Jude and Greenbriar type courses.

The Jordan that went 3-2? Did you mean to type Tiger instead?

Yep. The Jordan that with the help of someone else went 3-2 but on his own got smoked. I believe we're talking about the same guy.

Jordan was our second best player after Justin. He made half the birdies of the team in best ball and played half the shots in alternate shot. Perhaps the 0-4 Big Cat should be the one apologizing instead.

Jordan was not 2nd best. Finau was. If Jordan would have been competive in singles then ya. He got embarrassed

Just maybe, it's not a case of Tiger or Phil being over the hill. Or that US players can't play together. I might be going out on a limb here but maybe the US got beat again because the European team made more putts when they needed to. Sometimes you have to give credit where credit is due. The Euro's managed the golf course better than the US team did.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Jordan was not 2nd best. Finau was. If Jordan would have been competive in singles then ya. He got embarrassed

I'm not sure how you could think Finau was the best. Certainly he played well today but Brooks had to carry him through Friday until his very lucky bounce on a terrible shot on the 16th. He was slightly better on Saturday but not much.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

With regards to Ryder Cup 2020 and if the Tour keeps a similar schedule to 2018-19, it looks like both teams will have at least 3 weeks to rest after the Tour Championship. I'd prefer to see all of these guys fresh instead of playing 7 events in 8-9 weeks.

The Euros have moved their big Wentworth tournament (their version of the TPC) to September starting next year. So their top players will likely go Fed Ex Cup, week off, Wentworth PGA, 2 weeks off, Ryder Cup

I actually didn't know that, is it because the pga is in May now??

Just maybe, it's not a case of Tiger or Phil being over the hill. Or that US players can't play together. I might be going out on a limb here but maybe the US got beat again because the European team made more putts when they needed to. Sometimes you have to give credit where credit is due. The Euro's managed the golf course better than the US team did.

Woah there don't start posting sensible and pretty obvious reasons why the US lost again, goes against this whole thread!

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

Memo to Phil and the committee,

It's not about pods, and you still suck at foursomes (and in Europe, the other formats).

Tom Watson was right

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

A Huge Hats? Off to the Euros

Superb job Gents!!

At the end of the day(or beginning), ya Play who’s in front of you, they did and they whupped the US’s arses!

I’ll save my thoughts & opinions for another post?

Have a great week Gals & Gents?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

When was the last time you saw Tiger and Phil in a bro hug the way Sergio or Rory do? They should be mortal enemies per the media but they're not.

There was an interesting cameo of this at the prize ceremony. There was a classy act on the part of Furyk to lead his team over to congratulate the Euros before the trophy was handed over.

I couldn't follow all the players but it felt like most of the US team not only shook hands but warmly embraced the Euros whilst Tiger was the only one I noticed as he was at the back of the line being a little more formal with just a handshake.

Just an observation but all I see suggests he's not one for bro-hugs in almost any circumstance.

Gotta love internet forum predictions.

Best US team ever, virtually unbeatable.

Bjorn's captain's picks are terrible.

And still the best of them all:

Molinari and Golf Jesus aren't that good.

If it hadn't been for some bozo who let the greens get to 12 on Sunday instead of the 10.5 they had been on the first two days, it wouldn't even have been that close for a while. It was obvious that the Americans who had struggled with the green speed on the first two days, suddenly made a lot more putts.

And who were the idiots in US media, who were mentioned by Sam Torrance a few times during the European broadcast, who complained about the course being "too short and too narrow?"

That was real golf, the way it is meant to be. Hit it straight or get punished.

Oh, and has Nick Faldo already admitted that perhaps he was "useless" as a captain in 2008 and not so much Sergio as a player?

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

If it hadn't been for some bozo who let the greens get to 12 on Sunday instead of the 10.5 they had been on the first two days, it wouldn't even have been that close for a while. It was obvious that the Americans who had struggled with the green speed on the first two days, suddenly made a lot more putts.

And who were the idiots in US media, who were mentioned by Sam Torrance a few times during the European broadcast, who complained about the course being "too short and too narrow?"

Oh, and has Nick Faldo already admitted that perhaps he was "useless" as a captain in 2008 and not so much Sergio as a player?

Well said.

An outsiders opinion, last Ryder Cup was a great event to watch and so was this one, great golf and team spirit on display. People in the States and Europe are very fortunate to have such a great event to get passionate about. Dissecting who played well or didnt is great passion and im sure the States will bounce back as the talent is just to good.

Being from Oz we have the Presidents Cup to support, but problem is no one can get too excited over it. It just doesnt have the DNA of the Ryder Cup, I much prefer the theatre, tradition and rivarly of the Ryder Cup, i still remember some of the theatre from the last Ryder Cup played in the States, but I couldnt tell you anything about what happened at the last Presidents CUop other than the rest of the world got hosed, but who cared, it was carry on as usual.

One thing, surely the Ryder Cup could be scheduled to give the top players another weeks rest after the Fedex?

Well said.

Everything is true when you win.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

An outsiders opinion, last Ryder Cup was a great event to watch and so was this one, great golf and team spirit on display. People in the States and Europe are very fortunate to have such a great event to get passionate about. Dissecting who played well or didnt is great passion and im sure the States will bounce back as the talent is just to good.

Being from Oz we have the Presidents Cup to support, but problem is no one can get too excited over it. It just doesnt have the DNA of the Ryder Cup, I much prefer the theatre, tradition and rivarly of the Ryder Cup, i still remember some of the theatre from the last Ryder Cup played in the States, but I couldnt tell you anything about what happened at the last Presidents CUop other than the rest of the world got hosed, but who cared, it was carry on as usual.

One thing, surely the Ryder Cup could be scheduled to give the top players another weeks rest after the Fedex?

Yeah I think the FedEx Cup will finish a few weeks earlier next season and hopefully from here on out, because there was absolutely some fatigue in play here.

President's Cup is a wonderful event. I actually got into the President's Cup before I got into the Ryder Cup or any other pro golf event. I think it's nice that it has a more laid back feel. People aren't going crazy if they miss a shot. It's more... well, Presidential

That said, there will only be 1 Ryder Cup. The US was cocky and we got schooled by a rock solid Euro team. Rightly so.

Well said.

Everything is true when you win.

Great thing is, you can dress it up however you want. One thing that won't change is the big "L" for the US this time. True because Europe won.

Patrick Reeds wife going off on twitter: LOL

https://www.golf.com...twitter-spieth/

got to agree with her here re-pairings:

"Exactly. And Tiger and Justin play well together as well and I think Ricky found a great partner in Justin in the last Presidents cup ‘17, therefore if Tiger needed to rest or vice verse...they could easily have been interchangeable." ..And KEEP Reed and YJS together...

I wouldn't put a lot of stock into anything Justine Reed has to say and it says a lot about her to post something like that. I was at the 2014 Deutsche Bank and I followed the Day, Speith, Reed group the entire second round mainly to watch Jason Day. Justine was with someone following Patrick and I was standing next to her several times throughout the round. Admittedly I cannot site anything specific, but I just got the worst vibe off of her and that was before I knew much of anything about Patrick.

Conversely towards the end of the round Day made a birdie and a group of us were cheering loudly. I hear someone behind me say loudly something like "all right we got some Jason Day fans here". I turn around and Ellie Day was standing right behind us and she was giving high fives to a couple of fans and thanking all of us for our support of Jason. If she hadn't said a word she could not have given off a more pleasant vibe if she had been wrapped in a rainbow and covered in fairy dust.

To this day when one of them are mentioned I think back to that day and try to imagine the two of them having a conversation together alone in a room or at a dinner table. Polar opposites.

The question about Reed and Spieth was the most interesting due to no one wanting to answer. Something going on with Reed/Spieth based on Reed’s wife moments on twitter. Rest of press conference was standard. Tiger gave his standard “it was reall tough out there” comments. Phil said he played bad.

Remember when Reed didn’t get the drop he wanted in the spring and complained to an official “I didn’t get it bc I’m not Jordan Spieth.” Maybe that pissed Spieth off and he asked not to play with Reed.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

The one thing (unless I missed it in the 155 odd pages of this thread) is that qualification for both teams is based on singles strokeplay over 72 holes the same as criteria for the World Rankings - fair enough as there is no other decent yardstick.

However, the Ryder Cup is mainly team matchplay with one singles matchplay session. Very different beasts from 72 hole strokeplay events.

Picks seem to be governed by ‘next man up’ from singles 72 hole strokeplay rankings.

Maybe picks on slightly different criteria might be more sensible.

Just a thought.

I don't know if Team Europe like each other better, know the course better, I do know they played from the fairway more, played shots that gave their partners chances more, and had a lot of guys that are not great putters, make a bunch of putts. In other words, they played better. I wanted the USA to win, but I really appreciate how Europe played. Big congrats to Europe.

Decided against the Avalon, guys. Turns out it wasn't a good fit for me after all.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

It was great watching the Europeans win. They just seem so happy to be around each other and play for each other. You just know somewhere in Europe a pair of 10 year old friends are lining up a putt and saying "this is to win the Ryder Cup..."

Titleist TSR3 10° Autoflex 505x

Titleist TSR3 15° Ventus Red 7s

Callaway UW 19° Ventus Red 7s

PXG 0311 Gen3 4-5p, 6-9t, PWst Oban CT-115s 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50° Oban CT-115s

Vokey 56°s Raw, 60°t Raw Project X LZ 6.0

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

At least this S-show was over by noon everyday so i could do something productive.

I dont care who wins, i watch because the RC is the best golf on TV ever. This one just blew. Most matches were one sided, just a handful brought the exciting clutch play by both sides we are used to seeing.

Euros played fantastic and earned the win.

USA......wtf man.

[b]Driver: [/b][i]TBD[/i]
[b]Fairway:[/b] Taylormade Superfast 16.5*/Even Flow Blue
[b]Hybrid:[/b] Titleist 913H/Rogue Black
[b]Irons:[/b] Mizuno MP 59s
[b]Wedges:[/b] Titleist SM4 52/56/60
[b]Putter:[/b] [i]This area intentionally left blank [/i]

The one thing (unless I missed it in the 155 odd pages of this thread) is that qualification for both teams is based on singles strokeplay over 72 holes the same as criteria for the World Rankings - fair enough as there is no other decent yardstick.

However, the Ryder Cup is mainly team matchplay with one singles matchplay session. Very different beasts from 72 hole strokeplay events.

Picks seem to be governed by ‘next man up’ from singles 72 hole strokeplay rankings.

Maybe picks on slightly different criteria might be more sensible.

Just a thought.

The Euros have a slightly different way of getting on the team (OWGR ranking and Ryder Cup points), but they put just as much stock in 72 hole stroke play as the Americans do. Phil, Bubba, and Tiger are the problems. Take them off and we aren’t having this conversation.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna