2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Obee's Putting Improvement Thread

Obee

Yeah, i'm a 'no-line' guy too.  TOTAL ATTENTION on the center of the back of the ball only. The putter will line up naturally, just like a hammer on the nail..Do you look at the hammer?   Not me.

And, new news; i'm gonna try the Jack stroke tomorrow.  You know Jack Nicklaus with the crouched and cramped look and head behind the ball on the green, wearing the glove?  I'm taking the head behind the ball idea and running with that, at least tomorrow. Said to enhance the precise contact onto the back center of the ball. 

I'm LHL and practiced this partial Jack stroke technique a few days ago. Changing one thing only, see how it goes. 

Will report back in 36 hrs.  

What a great thread!  Thanks obee!  
After not playing golf for 20 years (I was a decent golfer through high school playing tournaments so I wasn’t starting without a base like a new golfer), I started playing again around 10 months ago and was instantly hooked.  Putting has been a challenge though.  I change things so much that I have a hard time settling î and am now trying to really focus on giving one method a legitimate chance.  For about a month I went to left hand low, and that was great on putts inside 15 feet but I never could get used to the feel on longer putts.  I’ve been using a blast motion sensor to work on face angle at impact and that is really hard to get consistently good!
live gone back and forth between a stronger release with a more right hand dominant stroke and trying to take my active right hand out of the stroke.  I’ve alternated between  trying to lock in my stroke with a very firm left wrist and cupped wrist ala Zach Johnson.
Lately I have tried to embrace the stan utley ideas of not moving the hands too much (head of putter moving much more than the head of the club) and I have to think long term that will be beneficial, but I really putt better when I let my hands move more...another concept of Utley’s is the idea of a shorter follow through than backswing, and I also struggle with this.  25 years ago when I learned to putt, acceleration was really emphasized and if I tend to have a follow through that  is definitely longer than my backswing.  I’m trying to change this to shorter follow through even though I currently putt better if I just let myself do what feels more natural.  Long term I hope working through this is beneficial though, and it seems like less hand movement and a short follow through is the way forward.
As you can see, one of the biggest issues I have is choosing fundamentals and fully embracing them.  Too much of my practice time is spent on experimentation and trying to figure out what I even want to work on., and how I want my stroke to look  There are just so many different ideas on putting philosophy.  Does anyone else struggle with choosing what philosophies and fundamentals to embrace?  Lately I’ve gone back to a very basic approach with a reverse overlap grip, square stance, and smooth tempo with equal backswing and follow through.  If nothing else I think this can’t be too far off from where I need to end up and I need to settle on something that will allow me to focus my practice.

thanks again Obee for this great thread and congrats on your progress!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2018 at 6:38 PM, Obee said:

I have begun to religiously document my putting stats and I'm going to share them here.

As some of you know, I was previously NOT a very good putter for a scratch/below golfer. I would miss one or more 3 - 4 foot putts every round (probably averaged 1.5 misses per round). I got sick of that about a year ago and committed to fixing it, which I have. I did three main things (all of which I have outlined in some detail in other posts:

1. I now use the line on (virtually) all putts.
  2. I went to a VERY upright (79 degrees) putter that is 36 inches long
  3. I switched to a CLOSED stance, which gives my right arm plenty of room to move DOWN my line (I'm fat and have a big belly)
  4. I switched to the claw (the same version that Mickelson uses)

I also have come to believe that ALL good putting starts with finding the right "speed of the day" on a straight-in 4-footer. I now practice those more than I have in my entire life. It's pretty much all I practice (when I do, which is rare).

I've been playing on some really cruddy "summer" greens here in SoCal (where greens are MUCH better in the fall, winter, and early spring than they are in the summer), and my stats aren't great, but I'm certain they will get better.

Looking forward to sharing my journey here. Let's make this thread about overall putting improvement in any way, shape, or form. 🙂

Here a link to the spreadsheet. Please let me know if it's not functional:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sxd945heci26hgd/AAB3vT4kMYpuO3qO-416kr4za?dl=0

Obee, one of the things you first mentioned was going to a closed stance helped you "chase down the line". Did you have a tendency to pull across putts prior to going to that closed stance setup? Are you still closed stance? 

4 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Obee, one of the things you first mentioned was going to a closed stance helped you "chase down the line". Did you have a tendency to pull across putts prior to going to that closed stance setup? Are you still closed stance? 

Yes, definitely cut across putts before. Also still closed and still putting very consistently and well. 

• Like 2

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

16 minutes ago, Obee said:

Yes, definitely cut across putts before. Also still closed and still putting very consistently and well. 

Lead shoulder opens early? 

That's always been my nemesis. I'm going to give a closed stance a go. Toyed with it for a few today and my lead shoulder definitely stays down without forced motion.

14 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Lead shoulder opens early? 

That's always been my nemesis. I'm going to give a closed stance a go. Toyed with it for a few today and my lead shoulder definitely stays down without forced motion.

My problem was mostly visual. When I had a square or open stance, my putter face would be aimed WAY left of the target at address and I thought it was square. Forced me to use a compensating stroke.

A few hours late but here is the report:  The first time out using Jack's stroke technique was not too good, mostly due to mental activity and newness of stance,etc.  2nd time, with some practice MUCH improved.

No real change in LHL, or set up except now i am slightly behind the ball looking at the back of the ball and the proposed line. Delivery is much easier since now the right hand is more-or-less 'pushing' the ball along the line.  No thinking at all of the left hand/shoulder. If you have ever played shuffleboard on the ocean liner, same-same. Just push the right hand along the line, keep your eye on the back of the ball = BINGO.

This technique just seemed to take 87% of the mental game out of stroke.  Big improvement, yesterday, in putts made from distance.  I'll be keeping at this method for some time. 

• Like 1

I have enjoyed reading this thread, pretty good I think!  At the risk of screwing it up here is a video of my putting drill:

This drill is not much fun to do but when I do this drill often I putt a lot better.  I believe that the drill gets my eye aligned with the putter head.  I did have my stroke measured on SAM putt lab a few times and the guy at Club Champion said I was close to pro level so I guess this drill works at least for me.  Not sure  if it would help anyone else to do something like this though...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update.

Still putting well.  (For me).  Key accomplishment is that I hit my lines now, and seldom put a bad roll on the ball.  I can still misjudge line or pace, but that was not my main issue.  My yips are gone. (at least my classic, arbitrary wrist spasm type).  The only way I can yip now is to totally stop my putting stroke.  I plan on continuing the armlock style until banned.  YMMV.

• Like 3

On 1/2/2021 at 1:31 PM, Nels55 said:

I have enjoyed reading this thread, pretty good I think!  At the risk of screwing it up here is a video of my putting drill:

This drill is not much fun to do but when I do this drill often I putt a lot better.  I believe that the drill gets my eye aligned with the putter head.  I did have my stroke measured on SAM putt lab a few times and the guy at Club Champion said I was close to pro level so I guess this drill works at least for me.  Not sure  if it would help anyone else to do something like this though...

Solid!!

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2021 at 7:10 AM, Yuck said:

Update.

Still putting well.  (For me).  Key accomplishment is that I hit my lines now, and seldom put a bad roll on the ball.  I can still misjudge line or pace, but that was not my main issue.  My yips are gone. (at least my classic, arbitrary wrist spasm type).  The only way I can yip now is to totally stop my putting stroke.  I plan on continuing the armlock style until banned.  YMMV.

29 putts today, no three putts.  Only one miss under 5 feet.  2 under 70.  With my old putting issues, this was a 75 all day.  Looking forward to more sub 30 putt rounds.

• Like 2

I have reviewed this thread a number of times and continue to draw from it.  I’ve seen substantial improvement coming into the season.  Prime driver has been simply working hard to hit ball the same each time (center contact, same path, identical feedback, etc) and starting the ball on intended line.  Fairly certain heavier putters and/or putters with inserts were masking contact quality.  Switching back to a longer, lighter putter has helped in many regards including swing dynamic, impact feedback, and comfort at address.

I’m currently channeling a little Rotella and focusing more on process than numbers.  In charting my progress I basically give myself credit for putts that used full routine, were hit dead center, and started on intended line.  I get no credit if any of those three items are not accomplished.  I’ve gone from complete ‘poke and hope’ with predictably inconsistent results including some fairly bad misses from 20-25 feet and making virtually nothing in the 8-10 foot range to scaring the cup on almost everything inside 20’, making a lot more 5-6 footers, and dropping the occasional 8-10 footer.

• Like 4

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

2 hours ago, Yuck said:

29 putts today, no three putts.  Only one miss under 5 feet.  2 under 70.  With my old putting issues, this was a 75 all day.  Looking forward to more sub 30 putt rounds.

Armlock putting is working for me as well.  Are you using a line on the ball and a claw grip?

I use a line and left hand low.

• Like 1

My Putter, (Sik DW), has no alignment, but I use a line on the ball.  Currently use a standard grip, but Left hand low also works for me with armlock.  The only way I can miss a short one now is by freezing my shoulder rock at impact, or taking stroke inside.  Both of those are avoidable for me.

My old yip, was either a push or a flip.  3 foot pressure putts were scary, even if dead straight.  Armlock has made a huge difference for me, but it takes time to find a fit.  (Loft, lie and length all made a difference.  For example, I am “wide”, so I need more loft than someone who has narrower shoulders.  

So great to see everyone's progress here!! Well done, gents! 🙂

• Like 1

I worked pretty hard at putting indoors (PuttOut mat and Perfect Putt trainer) all winter and it showed today. First round of the season and I had 30 putts with no 3 putts and sank 3 of 5' or longer. 

Obee - Thanks again for this thread and all of your guidance in general. I am using the claw grip with a Ping Anser 5 and rolled the ball really well today....no wobble in the aiming line!

• Like 3

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5

I’ve written about my seemore fitting elsewhere (in the seemore part of the putter forum)... it’s been awesome. 

the fitting itself was great and I love my putter, but the drills on tempo have been a huge help. Still need to grind it and erase 20 years of bad habits, but my speed control is hugely improved...

anyone have a good ladder drill they like using? I need some new routines to practice.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

@Obee assessed my putting after the first tournament round 3 weeks ago. Missed 6 putts because of speed or read. Made that my focus the last 3 weeks. Last 2 rounds under 29 putts both rounds. 73-69. I just wasn't aggressive enough and was lazy with reads. Good thing is I'm now over reading putts. Missing on the high side. I see something special brewing...

• Like 2

Carded a 73 today while hitting the ball like rubbish.  Quite a few 5-6 footers dead center with no three putts.  Still focusing on process, impact, and start line vice total putts.  In 28 putts today, only two fell short of ticking those three boxes - one impact and the other line (slight pull).

Best part - beginning to step into 5 and 6 footers expecting to make vice hoping to make.

• Like 3

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

I’m still grinding tempo, but so far happy with my improvement... 

playing a full round on Thursday, so we will see how my putting does.

ive been doing a ton of tempo drills and have recently added a ladder drill.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Played in a club tournament this weekend and managed my fourth consecutive round with less than 30 putts and NO three putts.  Only real drill remains hitting balls on my carpet focusing on contact and start line.

I'm still firmly in the camp of "process over outcome" as a mode of assessment.  Total putts is too closely aligned to greens hit and there are the occasional outliers such poorly struck putts that go in and good putts that bound off line due to poorly fixed pitch mark, etc.  That said, it doesn't suck to continue to record less than 30...

I've detected the beginnings of a mental issue I need to work through before it takes hold.  In realistically makeable putts of similar difficulty, I approach 'par saves' with a different (e.g., more aggressive and positive) attitude than I do birdie opportunities where I seem to guard against three-whacking.

• Like 1

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

10 hours ago, Aviador Naval said:

Played in a club tournament this weekend and managed my fourth consecutive round with less than 30 putts and NO three putts.  Only real drill remains hitting balls on my carpet focusing on contact and start line.

I'm still firmly in the camp of "process over outcome" as a mode of assessment.  Total putts is too closely aligned to greens hit and there are the occasional outliers such poorly struck putts that go in and good putts that bound off line due to poorly fixed pitch mark, etc.  That said, it doesn't suck to continue to record less than 30...

I've detected the beginnings of a mental issue I need to work through before it takes hold.  In realistically makeable putts of similar difficulty, I approach 'par saves' with a different (e.g., more aggressive and positive) attitude than I do birdie opportunities where I seem to guard against three-whacking.

Even the pros make more putts for par than they do for birdie. There's something about our innate make-up that makes that a "thing." But it shouldn't be a big difference. Definitely a good thing to be aware of. A putt should just be a putt for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Obee said:

Even the pros make more putts for par than they do for birdie. There's something about our innate make-up that makes that a "thing." But it shouldn't be a big difference. Definitely a good thing to be aware of. A putt should just be a putt for sure.

That is an interesting point.  I have seen articles on putting where tour pros talk about combating this issue and being more aggressive on birdie putts.  I think that Tom Watson might have been the best ever at hammering any putt whether it was for birdie, par or triple bogey right at the hole.  In his prime he knew he would make the ten footer coming back if the ball happened to miss the hole for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 11:28 AM, Obee said:

I believe the phenomenon has to do with what's known as "loss aversion."  Simply put, humans are more willing to "take risks" to avoid a loss than to make a gain.  So, for virtually every single golfer out there who has ever struck a putt, when we stand over a makable birdie putt, there is at least some small part of our mind that feels as though the toughest part of the job is over and we're going to walk out of there with at worst a par.  We are slightly unwilling to give maximum effort (note, this means 100% commitment to process and 0% to outcome) because we are seeing an opportunity to gain.  When the same putt is faced for par, we are hyper aware of the possibility of loss and thus, we do everything (within our personal skill level) to make the putt.  This sometimes imperceptible diversion of attention is enough to cause make percentages of birdie putts to be slightly lower than par putts of the same distance.

To negate this as much as is humanly possible, a "one shot at a time" mindset (for simplicity's sake, it is a good bit deeper than that) AND a solid, repeatable, and committed routine are both needed.  And even then, you will still have that little voice pop up at times.  

And, FWIW, my absolute two WORST strokes that I put on the ball yesterday were a 5'er for birdie and a 19'er for eagle.  Both were downhill and neither one reached the hole, LOL!!!!

So, uh, do as I say, not as I do 🤣😀 

• Like 4

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

15 hours ago, Yuck said:

It is official.  I have reduced my USGA index by more than 50% since Feb 1.  Keep in mind my putting had been horrible for years while my ball striking was ok.  I now average less than 34 putts a round, including a couple rounds under 30 putts.  Last year, it was not rare for me to have more than 40 putts in a round.  The key for me was going to armlock, and making most of my 2-4 footers.  I now feel I have a chance to get back to scratch in the next year barring injury.  Thank you Obee for starting this thread.   There is hope.

Dude! I absolutely love hearing stuff like this. I simply can't play golf anymore. Looking like surgery is in my near future. Seriously considering going all-in on a short game/putting/mental game business. There's nothing I like more than helping others play their best golf.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dan Drake said:

I believe the phenomenon has to do with what's known as "loss aversion."  Simply put, humans are more willing to "take risks" to avoid a loss than to make a gain.  So, for virtually every single golfer out there who has ever struck a putt, when we stand over a makable birdie putt, there is at least some small part of our mind that feels as though the toughest part of the job is over and we're going to walk out of there with at worst a par.  We are slightly unwilling to give maximum effort (note, this means 100% commitment to process and 0% to outcome) because we are seeing an opportunity to gain.  When the same putt is faced for par, we are hyper aware of the possibility of loss and thus, we do everything (within our personal skill level) to make the putt.  This sometimes imperceptible diversion of attention is enough to cause make percentages of birdie putts to be slightly lower than par putts of the same distance.

To negate this as much as is humanly possible, a "one shot at a time" mindset (for simplicity's sake, it is a good bit deeper than that) AND a solid, repeatable, and committed routine are both needed.  And even then, you will still have that little voice pop up at times.  

And, FWIW, my absolute two WORST strokes that I put on the ball yesterday were a 5'er for birdie and a 19'er for eagle.  Both were downhill and neither one reached the hole, LOL!!!!

So, uh, do as I say, not as I do 🤣😀 

Yes, I knew there was a term for this, as I'd read it in an analysis of the phenomenon before. Just couldn't remember it. Thank you. 🙂

• Like 1