2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Obee's Putting Improvement Thread

Obee

Excellent book on looking at the hole and two of the top Ams in town, one a multi-time Club Champ outa Oakmont putt this way on ALL of their putts!

Thanks Richard for the book recommendation! Will be sure to check it out.

The biggest thing for me has been learning to feel confident over a putt or, put another way, to master fear on the greens. I'm less of a headcase when I open my stance a little bit and look at the hole. Fear seems to be the biggest enemy of good putting and maybe every other facet of the game.

Thanks again, and keep hanging in there. Love and appreciate all you do for this golf-nut community!

My cleek is sometimes peevish.

Yeah, so I would LOVE to be in your mind while you:

What's in my head.... (Only a little bit tongue in cheek).

• Approach the green - "Great, 3 footer for birdie. I shouldn't bogie this one"
  • Begin reading your putt - "Right Breaker, don't hit it low"
  • Middle of reading the putt -"Maybe they will give me this"
  • After you've finished - " One ball outside left, because I am hitting these weak"
  • Any "wrap-up" thoughts you have before begin your pre-putt routine - ""OMG, OMG, don't yip another"
  • As you look at the hole for the first time "Get it over with, Quick"
  • Once you look back at the ball "Don't hit it fat"
  • Just before you take the putter back - " I think I am going to throw up"
  • At the top of your putting stroke ???? it is over in a blur. Any thoughts at this point transcend words.
  • Just before impact " "
  • As the ball is rolling on its way "Thats not my line"
  • After a missed putt "GRRRR! 4 inches short right again!"
  • After a made putt "Whew! I can't believe it lipped in on the low side"

And, yes, each of those areas (and more) are important and can go wrong for any putter at any time.

None of them need to be obsessed over, but many bad putters royally screw up one or more of those areas routinely....

OMFG, I am sitting outside waiting for my Lyft to arrive to take me to the train station and I am literally cracking up. The people next to me I'm looking at me funny…

Wow. So good.

• Haha 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

So what would everyone say is the proper speed for a 4 foot putt? If you miss is it a foot beyond, 2 feet, somewhere in between? Maybe more or less? I've heard various distances from Pelz to the Aimpoint school and curious what people like, especially on the shorter putts.

If you are not sure, and have to ask the question, it is highly likely that you are putting your short putts too softly. (I used to be like this).

My goal is to find the speed that allows me to hit the back of the cup on a level or slightly uphill putt.

The thing is, you can't fake this in tournament play. You either get comfortable with this and it becomes the way that you putt, or you don't.

The key for me on these was learning how to get the ball to roll end over end, instead of putting side spin on the ball.

Rolling the ball with a pure(er)stroke, I could hit a dead straight part actually dead straight. Or reasonably so. That was the difference maker for me.

Obee, what are your keys for putting a good roll on the ball?

Put a line all the way around your ball and practice hitting 6 foot putts to where the line does not wobble. After a while, you will be able to do this most of the time. When I started, I could not do it a single time because my stroke sucked!!!

Obee, do you have a video of hitting a putt without the line wobbling? If you don't get the line perfectly in line with your target line you will get some wobble, even if you strike it pure. I guess I'm curious to see how wobble free a well struck putt should be.

Make the goal ONLY to be able to roll the ball without wobble first.

In the beginning, I couldn't do it no matter what I tried.

• Like 1

I can’t believe I didn’t find this thread until now, so much good info in here.

I built this today in hopes to finally put and end to missed short putts. It’s made out of 1/4” MDF, 4’6” total length, the thing section is 1 and 1/8” wide and the square at the hole end is 6” x 6” with a 3” hole cut out. If You don’t get the line and the speed absolutely perfect, the ball will not stay in the hole. I’m hoping that by spring I should see some improvement in short putting and starting the ball online in general. :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Just a quick update,

I am still greatly encouraged by my progress since changing to a SS counter weighted 50 gram putter grip (Pistol GT Tour) and using a version of the "claw" grip. While I still have days (like today) when I do not make many putts, the quality of my "misses" is much better. Either slight misreads, slight off speeds (a little to soft or a little to firm for the line I have chosen). I no longer hit 2 to 4 foot putts that miss the line by 6 or 8 inches and are way off speed. I still hit some poor putts, but they are fewer and no where near as "bad". I am beginning to feel much more comfortable and confident on short putts.

Bruce

Updated the spreadsheet. 26 putts today. On crappy, bumpy greens.

I'm coming to realize that my total putts per round (which will likely settle in around 28.75 to 29.5) are as much a product of my short game as they are of my putting. I chip/pitch a lot of shots to inside 5 feet, and my putting at that distance is very solid.

Looking forward to better greens this fall and winter. Want to see if I can start making more 8 to 15 foot putts....

The claw grip is absolutely MONEY, and it's not at all coincidental that so many high-level players have gone to it. I've been a crappy recreational player for 40 years, and made the switch to the claw grip on the practice green a few weeks ago after physical issues limited my ability to practice, and I was confined to the short grass.

After no more than 10-15 minutes into my first dedicated effort with the new grip, I was amazed, simply at how much better the impact felt. I was painfully aware of how frequently I would strike the ball at the very bottom of the face, or significantly off-center, regardless of what putter I was using.

I could not believe how my distance control improved on 30-40-50 foot putts, and I was left with stress-free tap-ins. I've also holed more putts outside of 10 feet than I have cumulatively over the course of YEARS. Still using relatively normal Ping PP58 grip on my Scottsdale Anser, and ironically, this grip is more comfortable to me than a Ping Sedona which has Superstroke's actual "Claw" model on it.

It would not shock me at all if instructors began to emphasize experimenting with this method for promising young junior players.

• Like 1

Updated the spreadsheet. 26 putts today. On crappy, bumpy greens.

I'm coming to realize that my total putts per round (which will likely settle in around 28.75 to 29.5) are as much a product of my short game as they are of my putting. I chip/pitch a lot of shots to inside 5 feet, and my putting at that distance is very solid.

Looking forward to better greens this fall and winter. Want to see if I can start making more 8 to 15 foot putts....

thats awesome in my opinion !

I tell you .. Ive recently had a little dust up with a few competitors ( regular but not my friends) that i play against alot.. Long story that i wont tell but it came to a head when i was told how much i suck and that id never compete because i cant putt etc...( yes i play around some real winners...its a product of convenience , if the club wasnt 2 minutes away i dmove ) ... ..Ive saved that text as my phones background ... The chip on my shoulder is very real now. I went and shot -4 through 12 when a storm stopped us dead ... I had 3 putted the first two holes for bogeys to start and then went on a rip...That day i had went back to the blade putter that id lost confidence in . Its flipped a switch in my mind . Im sick and tired of fearing this ... Ill run them in or run them by , i dont care. But by god im not going to fear a putter anymore. You wouldnt believe how this has effected my mind on course.. since that round last wed i have played 3 , 9 hole rounds and ive not been over par yet ...lol hope this motivates someone else...

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

So much good content in this thread! I thought I'd share my practice setup. I picked up a PuttOut Pressure Putt Trainer along with their putting matt and I've really gotten a lot of use out of it. It definitely helped my putting this year and I can't wait to really put in some time this offseason to tighten up some setup issues I was having. The parallel and perpendicular lines are great to help with alignment and the distance indicators are helpful as well. In addition, I will also use my Eyeline alignment mirror occasionally to check my setup too.

Obviously there's no substitute for putting on real greens, but when the ground is covered with snow 4-5 months of the year this is a great alternative.

LiC3pO9.jpg

SGrBikc.jpg

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

The claw grip is absolutely MONEY, and it's not at all coincidental that so many high-level players have gone to it. I've been a crappy recreational player for 40 years, and made the switch to the claw grip on the practice green a few weeks ago after physical issues limited my ability to practice, and I was confined to the short grass.

After no more than 10-15 minutes into my first dedicated effort with the new grip, I was amazed, simply at how much better the impact felt. I was painfully aware of how frequently I would strike the ball at the very bottom of the face, or significantly off-center, regardless of what putter I was using.

I could not believe how my distance control improved on 30-40-50 foot putts, and I was left with stress-free tap-ins. I've also holed more putts outside of 10 feet than I have cumulatively over the course of YEARS. Still using relatively normal Ping PP58 grip on my Scottsdale Anser, and ironically, this grip is more comfortable to me than a Ping Sedona which has Superstroke's actual "Claw" model on it.

It would not shock me at all if instructors began to emphasize experimenting with this method for promising young junior players.

So I just recently had a putter fitting/lesson with David Edel, And he makes no bones about the fact that he thinks the claw is the way to go for the majority of putters.

So I just recently had a putter fitting/lesson with David Edel, And she makes no bones about the fact that he thinks the claw is the way to go for the majority of putters.

I'm not sure how many others who have made the switch feel, but for me, it pretty much completely removes the "steer" impulse my right hand always tended to have. Almost as if the club is being moved by an "Iron Byron"-type robot. It's really kind of a liberating feeling!

• Like 2

So I just recently had a putter fitting/lesson with David Edel, And she makes no bones about the fact that he thinks the claw is the way to go for the majority of putters.

I'm not sure how many others who have made the switch feel, but for me, it pretty much completely removes the "steer" impulse my right hand always tended to have. Almost as if the club is being moved by an "Iron Byron"-type robot. It's really kind of a liberating feeling!

For me, this was sort of the result I got from switching to left-hand low after being a conventional putter for a long time. I feel like if I get my right hand set correctly, it's only job is to control the putter face and my straight left arm can just "drag" the club.

I have tried claw variations a few times just messing around in practice, but I have always struggled with anything other than close range putts with that grip.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

So much good content in this thread! I thought I'd share my practice setup. I picked up a PuttOut Pressure Putt Trainer along with their putting matt and I've really gotten a lot of use out of it. It definitely helped my putting this year and I can't wait to really put in some time this offseason to tighten up some setup issues I was having. The parallel and perpendicular lines are great to help with alignment and the distance indicators are helpful as well. In addition, I will also use my Eyeline alignment mirror occasionally to check my setup too.

Obviously there's no substitute for putting on real greens, but when the ground is covered with snow 4-5 months of the year this is a great alternative.

[media=]

[/media]

Is there a dip in the carpet? About 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through the roll the ball zig zags off the line and then back onto it.

Cool setup though. What do you think about the PuttOut?

[media=]

[/media]

Is there a dip in the carpet? About 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through the roll the ball zig zags off the line and then back onto it.

Cool setup though. What do you think about the PuttOut?

Yes, I have pretty plush carpet so I've got to vacuum and move the mat often otherwise it'll develop some break in the putts. It would probably be better on a hard surface for sure, but my wife won't let me have it set up on our main level. Therefore putting practice is relegated to the basement.

I actually really like the PuttOut. I had a bad tendency to really die putts at the hole and frequently left putts short. This got me better at hitting putts with speed to get 12-18 inches by the hole.

I also really like the different drills you can do with the trainer + mat.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

So 30 is your second lowest putt total of the year?

Do you think it's your short game or your putting that's mostly holding you back.

My short game and 2 - 10 foot putting are both significant strengths and I have multiple 24 - 26 putt rounds every year.

I don't understand how a good player can fail to have plenty of rounds like that when their ball striking it's a little bit off and they are missing greens by only a little bit.

How does that happen with you?

Do you think it's your short game or your putting that's mostly holding you back.

My short game and 2 - 10 foot putting are both significant strengths and I have multiple 24 - 26 putt rounds every year.

I don't understand how a good player can fail to have plenty of rounds like that when their ball striking it's a little bit off and they are missing greens by only a little bit.

Yesterday, I shot 81 on a par 71 and I had a total of 37 putts (39 if I count 2 from the fringe 2-3' off the green). Yes, 39 putts and it was atrocious. It was a combination of both chipping/pitching being worse than my usual as well as really poor putting. Long game overall was pretty solid, and if I would have had even my normal 'B' short game I probably would've shot 73-74.

• Chips & pitches were not hit to high % make range (inside 5 feet)
  • Poor putts which I'll say 80% of more of were due to setup issues. I couldn't get comfortable over the ball. I was hitting putts off the toe, my alignment was way left of where I thought it was.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

My new putter:

36.5 inches.

79.9 degrees!

I found the very best way to improve putting! Bigger holes:) Really, our course had its greens punched, and for the week after put in 8 in. holes. Putting was so easy! No yips, everything from 10 ft in felt automatic. After not playing for a whole month due to injury, I birdied all but two holes on the back 9. Fun for sure. I will go on the record for saying that I do not think golf should ever go to a bigger hole than the one we use right now, less than doubling the size of the hole saved me probably a whole stroke a hole.

That new putter looks awesome Obee!

Obee

As you can see my signature, I’ve been using a very short & very upright putter for 10 years.

I’ve converted several friends to this method with tremendous success.

Did you contact Kevin Burns directly to get your new putter made?

Always liked his putters, yours looks great! Enjoy!

Cheers

• Like 1
TM SIM Max 9* Tensei Orange 60
Titleist TS2 16.5 Motore X 75
Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85
Titleist 818H1 23* Diamana 90

Ping i500 5-7, iBlade 8-Pw 
Ping Glide 53, 58, Callaway 64*
Kevin Burns “Icemakr” custom
Stage IV MELANOMA SURVIVOR
“kids wear your sunscreen !!"

OG wrxer (check my member #)

I did a custom fitting at Lakeside Golf Club during an invitational there.

Buddy. I can tell you how. Miss green. Pitch to 4 ft. Miss putt. 2x18 is 36. Shot a 2 over 9 yesterday with 16 putts. My lowest 18 of this year is 29. Most 31-34. But I’m putting pretty good at the moment compared to yips and 3 jacks.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Buddy. I can tell you how. Miss green. Pitch to 4 ft. Miss putt. 2x18 is 36. Shot a 2 over 9 yesterday with 16 putts. My lowest 18 of this year is 29. Most 31-34. But Im putting pretty good at the moment compared to yips and 3 jacks.

Keep up the improvement. And begin to change your self-talk. It's important.

.....begin to change your self-talk. It's important.

Maybe if you tell him, Obee, it will stick!

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Yips Yips Yips, 2-4 feet. I normally hit a lot of greens. But when I am missing greens, I shoot in the 80's. Nearly the same GIR now as when I was a +2 capper eons ago, Today was a 77, with 36 Putts. Back nine was a 37 with 19 putts (one three putt where I got aggressive on a 15 ft birdie run and missed the 3 foot comeback.) I am decent with chipping & sand, but if I am not inside 2 feet, bogie is a strong possibility. Putting is getting better, but my short misses do not come close to hitting the hole. It is really appalling. I am a decent lag putter and good from 8-20 feet. Pressure makes it worse. My average putts per round is dropping. Last five putting rounds 28, 36, 33, 30, 37. So under 33 putts per round.

• Like 1

Obee - great thread.

Couple of things about your journey remind me that more than any other aspect of golf - if not all sports - putting is a truly individual affair.

Like you (and counter to most), at 5'-11" I recently changed 35-1/4" putter and am about to add a 3/4" extension. I'm simply see the line better and am more comfortable in a more upright position.

On the other hand, I never use a line on the ball and use a putter with no alignment aid. I found the inevitable parallax that would stem from address after lining the ball up from behind and in a crouch left me with indecision - which is not exactly conducive to good putting.

I do a variation of the 4' drill many have talked about in the thread but find a dead flat portion of the green away from a cup and putt toward one of the old school plastic ball marks. I start by hitting putts generally toward the mark but concentrate solely on quality of contact. My new putter (a DH89 at 330 grams) has a very distinctly different sound and feel with even the slightest miss. Once I have hit 9 of 10 flush, I move to focusing on the ball mark and strive to leave five in a row between 3" and 12" short, then 3" to 12" long, and finally 10 in a row alternating between the two. The final plastic mark drill is 10 straight, must touch ball mark, must stop within 3" of mark.

I use this as a reflection of my view of putting in general: line only matters when proper pace is considered and proper pace can't be consistent until consistent contact is made. Therefore, contact leads pace leads consistent start line in the drill/practice. Also, since this is part task training/warm-up and I might be listening for feedback, thinking about rhythm, etc., I don't want to use a hole. Anytime I putt to a hole I want the sole focus to be the target. Frankly, I've become convinced that consistency in mental approach is as important as consistency in mechanics.

I then move to 'around the world' on a slightly breaking putt from 3', 4', and 5' using four balls. If 'practicing', I won't leave until I've made 12 in a row. If warming up for a round, I go through once and then hit three practice putts from each putt I miss.

Next is lag putting to the fringe. Never from the same spot twice, never to a hole, almost always in the 20'-40' range. I don't use any objective here. Just enough to feel confident I'm making consistent contact with a longer stroke and speed is such I'd be 'inside the leather' most of the time.

Finally, I finish by hitting five straight 4 footers into a hole.

I've been playing a lot more twilight partials rounds than full 18 hole rounds lately so statistically significant numbers aren't as easy to come by but anecdotally I've never putted better and my last four rounds have been 27-30-29-28 putts with no 3 jacks. Improved putting has removed the pressure from my short game which has allowed me to shift some practice time to the long game.

Main theme of my new routine is that confidence is king per that awesome Jack Nicklaus quote on page #3. I want to build a large database of images of short putts going in as opposed to a large bank of images of moderate length putts missing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

LiC3pO9.jpg

SGrBikc.jpg

[media=]

[/media]

Damn, too much coffee and laptop time this morning and now I've ordered one! This really looks like a good way to practice and fairly compact. I'm still trying to get over the design of the actual device and it looks like some sort of specialty ladies product or maybe just that sculpture that Marie Barone created, lol, whatever, maybe it will provide some incentive. ;-)

Seriously, thanks for putting up the video, gives a good idea of how it works and yes, the winters are long in this part of the country.

Putting really well right now. Moved my hands BACK (Think Zach Johnson) and I'm rolling the ball very cleanly.

Stats are starting to look good (see link in first post).