Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro Series.

vanya

> @chigolfer1 said:

> Anymore general thoughts on these vs. the Srizon z585s? I

I hit both quite a bit side-by-side with the same shaft. For some reason, for me, the Z585 launched 2+ degrees higher than the HM Pro. As a result, the HM Pro were longer. Given I was hitting them with the same shaft, there must be something in that Z585 v-sole combine with my swing type that generates the higher launch.

That said I'm guessing for most people these will perform similar and are both great players game improvement irons (yep I just made up that category). Srixon needs to step up their game a bit in the custom build area if they want to compete with the big guys. I will say I emailed Srixon CS a couple times asking questions about custom build options and they were very responsive.

Don't think you can go wrong with either, as always go get fit and the best iron for you will present itself.

> @DNice26 said:

> golfjam wrote:

>

> Got my set 4-9 CTLX 1 strong this week and had 2 range sessions and 27 holes. They're long, like crazy long. Almost 1.5 clubs and fly really high. But they're very workable, you can lower the flight if you want. That's the main difference with P790 and i500 which I owned also. I couldn't control a punch shot with them, the face was too hot sometimes and just flew by. HM Pro will fly and stop, 9 iron even spun back a couple of yards to my surprise.

>

> Forgiveness is ridiculous, thin shots will run maybe 90% of the distance and fat shots will fly less but compensate with roll. Feel is ok, my previous set was a MP18 MB and it's hard to beat. Sound is a little weird but decent, doesn't have the same twack on solid shots but you can tell right away when you missed the sweet spot.

>

> Overall I'm happy and plan to keep for the remainder of 2019. It's obviously a distance iron but like others said it's mostly due to loft. I think Mizuno has a winner here, it's not as expensive as other clubs in the market and they definitely deliver. If you're like me who's getting older and losing distance, please give these a try.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Have you played the CTL for a while? I’m a long time CT guy and looking to maybe buy a set with CTLX this time around. Do you really like them?

>

> Thanks!

C Taper Lite X flex is one of my fave 115g shafts. I soft-stepped them once in a set of Srixon z965’s and it was a great combo. Really nice feel and tremendous dart throwers at greens. Ball would mainly hit and stop within a few feet or so. Soft-stepped, it has a CPM that is basically like a C Taper R-plus, which is more shaft than most stiff shafts. The C Taper lineup is stouter overall. The C Taper Lite X flex felt similar to a Project X Rifle 5.5 to me, another shaft I like.

I used to play shafts at 130 grams or so and the drop down to 115 was just right. The key to C Tapers and Rifles is not to get hung up on flex, look at ball flight. So many players go too stiff in these and then say they feel boardy. They’re not — drop down a flex or soft-step once or even twice. There is no industry standard for flex. Most golfers know that but still go for stiff shafts regardless of brand. A C Taper Reg-plus is stouter than a Nippon 120 X flex to me. But a Modus 125 Stiff is really a stiff, more like a Dynamic Gold. Ball flight tells all. The CTL X gets overlooked but it’s a great shaft.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I've had mine since early February. Really happy with them. I've now managed to get about 12 rounds in with them. As I mentioned in my review in mid-February I only saw them because somebody put them on the shelf early by accident. And after seeing them I did something I never do. Bought them on the spot without hitting them. After 12 rounds I've officially sold both my other sets. My TMBs and a set of Bridgestone Tour B X. They really are exactly what I was looking for. More forgiving than the TMB(my gamers), a little longer, and better feeling/sounding. Additionally I just love the fact that I can really bring the ballflight down when I want to. That was a struggle with the Titleists. As for seeing the back of the club I only notice that on the 4 iron. But I've been using a Callaway UT 21* (bent to 22* for gapping) for a long time and you can see the back of it also. Got used to that a long time ago and frankly I've always found it to look more forgiving because of that. 4 iron is not a scoring club for me lol. I just want to hit the green with it and I want it to be as easy to hit as possible.

Some of you mentioned the comparison to the Forged. I personally like the looks of the HM Pro better and given the price difference it was just a no brainer for me. And I do find them to be more forgiving than the JPX Forged. And the slightly reduced offset is something else I like.

I really compare this club to the J40 Pocket Cavity. I had a set of those for about 3 years and loved them. Slightly larger profile with virtually no offset. The HMP checks my boxes and has exceeded my expectations.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

> @"hd.softail" said:

> > @chigolfer1 said:

> > Anymore general thoughts on these vs. the Srizon z585s? I

>

> I hit both quite a bit side-by-side with the same shaft. For some reason, for me, the Z585 launched 2+ degrees higher than the HM Pro. As a result, the HM Pro were longer. Given I was hitting them with the same shaft, there must be something in that Z585 v-sole combine with my swing type that generates the higher launch.

>

> That said I'm guessing for most people these will perform similar and are both great players game improvement irons (yep I just made up that category). Srixon needs to step up their game a bit in the custom build area if they want to compete with the big guys. I will say I emailed Srixon CS a couple times asking questions about custom build options and they were very responsive.

>

> Don't think you can go wrong with either, as always go get fit and the best iron for you will present itself.

Thanks for the review!

> @dmeeksDC said:

> > @DNice26 said:

> > golfjam wrote:

> >

> > Got my set 4-9 CTLX 1 strong this week and had 2 range sessions and 27 holes. They're long, like crazy long. Almost 1.5 clubs and fly really high. But they're very workable, you can lower the flight if you want. That's the main difference with P790 and i500 which I owned also. I couldn't control a punch shot with them, the face was too hot sometimes and just flew by. HM Pro will fly and stop, 9 iron even spun back a couple of yards to my surprise.

> >

> > Forgiveness is ridiculous, thin shots will run maybe 90% of the distance and fat shots will fly less but compensate with roll. Feel is ok, my previous set was a MP18 MB and it's hard to beat. Sound is a little weird but decent, doesn't have the same twack on solid shots but you can tell right away when you missed the sweet spot.

> >

> > Overall I'm happy and plan to keep for the remainder of 2019. It's obviously a distance iron but like others said it's mostly due to loft. I think Mizuno has a winner here, it's not as expensive as other clubs in the market and they definitely deliver. If you're like me who's getting older and losing distance, please give these a try.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Have you played the CTL for a while? I’m a long time CT guy and looking to maybe buy a set with CTLX this time around. Do you really like them?

> >

> > Thanks!

>

> C Taper Lite X flex is one of my fave 115g shafts. I soft-stepped them once in a set of Srixon z965’s and it was a great combo. Really nice feel and tremendous dart throwers at greens. Ball would mainly hit and stop within a few feet or so. Soft-stepped, it has a CPM that is basically like a C Taper R-plus, which is more shaft than most stiff shafts. The C Taper lineup is stouter overall. The C Taper Lite X flex felt similar to a Project X Rifle 5.5 to me, another shaft I like.

>

> I used to play shafts at 130 grams or so and the drop down to 115 was just right. The key to C Tapers and Rifles is not to get hung up on flex, look at ball flight. So many players go too stiff in these and then say they feel boardy. They’re not — drop down a flex or soft-step once or even twice. There is no industry standard for flex. Most golfers know that but still go for stiff shafts regardless of brand. A C Taper Reg-plus is stouter than a Nippon 120 X flex to me. But a Modus 125 Stiff is really a stiff, more like a Dynamic Gold. Ball flight tells all. The CTL X gets overlooked but it’s a great shaft.

Awesome feedback, thank you! I took the leap and ordered the following setup:

JPX 919 Forged 4 - 6 iron, CTaper Lite X +1/4", MC Align plus 3 wraps

JPX 919 Tour 7 - PW, CTaper Lite X +1/4", MC Align plus 3 wraps

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

^^^That is a superior build. Post a pic when those arrive. They are going to play great. Tour may be a little beyond me, but I am a major fan of the look, as well as the 919 Forged, and the Hot Metal Pros and the Hot Metals. IMO the best current top to bottom iron lineup in golf is Mizuno.

Order is in for HM Pro 5-PW. Love they extra forgiveness and few extra yards of carry over my MMC’s with no loss of accuracy.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

> @JDMRN81 said:

> Looks like I’m joining the HMP family. Picked up some heads on the BST, now to decide what shafts to put in them. Love my CTL's but want graphite to reduce elbow pain.

I came from the CTL's and tested the Recoil F4 110 and 95's. Went with the 95's in the irons and 110's in my wedges. Could not be happier. After two complete shoulder replacements, I too needed to go graphite. Give them a shot.

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, & 54H, MMT 105S

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

> @dalillama47 said:

> > @JDMRN81 said:

> > Looks like I’m joining the HMP family. Picked up some heads on the BST, now to decide what shafts to put in them. Love my CTL's but want graphite to reduce elbow pain.

>

> I came from the CTL's and tested the Recoil F4 110 and 95's. Went with the 95's in the irons and 110's in my wedges. Could not be happier. After two complete shoulder replacements, I too needed to go graphite. Give them a shot.

I previously purchased 919 forged with recoil 95's but never got them out on the course and sold them new. When testing, the 95's felt great and had awesome dispersion. I like the idea of 110's for the wedges. Thanks!

> @JDMRN81 said:

> > @dalillama47 said:

> > > @JDMRN81 said:

> > > Looks like I’m joining the HMP family. Picked up some heads on the BST, now to decide what shafts to put in them. Love my CTL's but want graphite to reduce elbow pain.

> >

> > I came from the CTL's and tested the Recoil F4 110 and 95's. Went with the 95's in the irons and 110's in my wedges. Could not be happier. After two complete shoulder replacements, I too needed to go graphite. Give them a shot.

> I previously purchased 919 forged with recoil 95's but never got them out on the course and sold them new. When testing, the 95's felt great and had awesome dispersion. I like the idea of 110's for the wedges. Thanks!

Geezus. Sold them new? You never played with. That’s an issue!

Fujikura makes some really nice graphite iron shafts. Have expanded their lineup and weight ranges. Hear great things about the Pro lineup. KBS Tour Graphite ranges from 50g to 110g and are also worth checking out.

> @JMH1220 said:

> > @JDMRN81 said:

> > > @dalillama47 said:

> > > > @JDMRN81 said:

> > > > Looks like I’m joining the HMP family. Picked up some heads on the BST, now to decide what shafts to put in them. Love my CTL's but want graphite to reduce elbow pain.

> > >

> > > I came from the CTL's and tested the Recoil F4 110 and 95's. Went with the 95's in the irons and 110's in my wedges. Could not be happier. After two complete shoulder replacements, I too needed to go graphite. Give them a shot.

> > I previously purchased 919 forged with recoil 95's but never got them out on the course and sold them new. When testing, the 95's felt great and had awesome dispersion. I like the idea of 110's for the wedges. Thanks!

>

> Geezus. Sold them new? You never played with. That’s an issue!

Ha! It was the last few weeks of season last year and picked them up and also a used set of HM’s with modus 120’s on eBay. I played a round with the HM’s and really liked them but hated the size. Held on to them both this past winter until I heard about the HMP’s. After testing the HMP’s out they don’t disappoint and I’m glad I sold the aforementioned sets and waited for the HMP’s.

> @JMH1220 said:

> > @JDMRN81 said:

> > > @dalillama47 said:

> > > > @JDMRN81 said:

> > > > Looks like I’m joining the HMP family. Picked up some heads on the BST, now to decide what shafts to put in them. Love my CTL's but want graphite to reduce elbow pain.

> > >

> > > I came from the CTL's and tested the Recoil F4 110 and 95's. Went with the 95's in the irons and 110's in my wedges. Could not be happier. After two complete shoulder replacements, I too needed to go graphite. Give them a shot.

> > I previously purchased 919 forged with recoil 95's but never got them out on the course and sold them new. When testing, the 95's felt great and had awesome dispersion. I like the idea of 110's for the wedges. Thanks!

>

> Geezus. Sold them new? You never played with. That’s an issue!

Just a normal Tuesday on Golfwrx

I’ve got a set of the 919 HM’s but I’ve been doing some research on the Titleist 718 T-MB’s when I discovered Mizuno made a “PRO” model. Couldn’t make up my mine so I custom ordered both the 919 HM Pro’s and the 718 T-MB’s with Modus3 R shafts lol. I’ve got the month of April off, talk to you in May ?

QQ: The Pros apparently are the same lofts as the Hot Metal. Does this mean they're supposed to go the same distance?

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @IamMarkMac said:

> QQ: The Pros apparently are the same lofts as the Hot Metal. Does this mean they're supposed to go the same distance?

The couple side by side tests I’ve seen on YouTube or read online put distance neck and neck between the regular HM and the Pro model.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

> @noodle3872 said:

> > @IamMarkMac said:

> > QQ: The Pros apparently are the same lofts as the Hot Metal. Does this mean they're supposed to go the same distance?

>

> The couple side by side tests I’ve seen on YouTube or read online put distance neck and neck between the regular HM and the Pro model.

>

Everything I’ve seen says the HM may be ever so slightly longer than the HM Pro — like 1-2 yards —owing to a slightly deeper COG that boosts launch, but not much difference. And the Forged is only slightly behind either of them, but is a smaller head and therefore deemed to be a little less forgiving. May or may not be true for any given player. Forged could cost you a little more on mishits, but it does have a CNC reverse-milled cavity so it has more tech than the 900 version, which I thought was pretty forgiving. Probably not noticeable except in the 919 Forged long irons vs the HM or HM Pros.

For me it would be all about the Forged vs the HM Pro. The Forged is visibly more compact, but not in a major way. They all look very playable. The offset in the HM long irons is pretty notiiceable but probably helps most players. It looks fine to me in the Forged or the HM Pro. I have played Ping i200 and I believe it is higher offset. But I found what I noticed in a store faded quickly on the golf course. Seemed to make the i200 4-5 irons really easy to launch so I don’t worry about offset too much unless it is really extreme.

I ordered an HMP 7-iron and it showed up today. Recoil 95 stiff, 0.5" long. Took it to the indoor bay to compare with my i210 (which is SteelFiber i95 regular, 0.5" long, 1* flat). Have to say the HMP is impressive. I didn't care for the HM - just too big and too much offset for my taste (though maybe not for my striking). On proper strikes the HMP was about 15 yards longer. I was a little shocked actually - and that was with crappy TaylorMade practice balls (which are terrible - feel like rocks). HMP has a hair more offset than the i210 and is a bit bigger, but still looks fine to my eye.

I likely will get a few more HMP irons, just trying to decide between the Recoil 95 or LZ Tour graphite 6.0. Worried the LZ Tour may be a tad light (should be about 10 grams lighter in the club). I am hitting 85g shafts in my hybrids and they work well.

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

> @nostatic said:

> I ordered an HMP 7-iron and it showed up today. Recoil 95 stiff, 0.5" long. Took it to the indoor bay to compare with my i210 (which is SteelFiber i95 regular, 0.5" long, 1* flat). Have to say the HMP is impressive. I didn't care for the HM - just too big and too much offset for my taste (though maybe not for my striking). On proper strikes the HMP was about 15 yards longer. I was a little shocked actually - and that was with crappy TaylorMade practice balls (which are terrible - feel like rocks). HMP has a hair more offset than the i210 and is a bit bigger, but still looks fine to my eye.

>

> I likely will get a few more HMP irons, just trying to decide between the Recoil 95 or LZ Tour graphite 6.0. Worried the LZ Tour may be a tad light (should be about 10 grams lighter in the club). I am hitting 85g shafts in my hybrids and they work well.

Keep posting as you acquire more irons. It sounds like we have identical specs. I have both a steelfiber 95 and Recoil 95. And I’m very interested in the HMP.

> @JMH1220 said:

> > @nostatic said:

> > I ordered an HMP 7-iron and it showed up today. Recoil 95 stiff, 0.5" long. Took it to the indoor bay to compare with my i210 (which is SteelFiber i95 regular, 0.5" long, 1* flat). Have to say the HMP is impressive. I didn't care for the HM - just too big and too much offset for my taste (though maybe not for my striking). On proper strikes the HMP was about 15 yards longer. I was a little shocked actually - and that was with crappy TaylorMade practice balls (which are terrible - feel like rocks). HMP has a hair more offset than the i210 and is a bit bigger, but still looks fine to my eye.

> >

> > I likely will get a few more HMP irons, just trying to decide between the Recoil 95 or LZ Tour graphite 6.0. Worried the LZ Tour may be a tad light (should be about 10 grams lighter in the club). I am hitting 85g shafts in my hybrids and they work well.

>

> Keep posting as you acquire more irons. It sounds like we have identical specs. I have both a steelfiber 95 and Recoil 95. And I’m very interested in the HMP.

I am right here with you guys. Elbow issues require graphite and FWIW, the SF are not near as friendly to my elbows as the Recoil. I am looking forward to demo days on 4/11/19 to try the HMP with Recoil hopefully. I recently moved from the SF 95 to the Recoil 95 and now to the Recoil 110. I much prefer the 110 but understand that is not a choice (at least at no cost) for the MHP? It would be a big jump from my Z945's but I want to at least hit something with new technology to see if I think I am missing out. I know that looking down at the HMP it fits my eye fine and that is a big hurdle. Anyway, I am enjoying the post and look forward to hearing more.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

> @rxk9fan said:

> I am right here with you guys. Elbow issues require graphite and FWIW, the SF are not near as friendly to my elbows as the Recoil. I am looking forward to demo days on 4/11/19 to try the HMP with Recoil hopefully. I recently moved from the SF 95 to the Recoil 95 and now to the Recoil 110. I much prefer the 110 but understand that is not a choice (at least at no cost) for the MHP? It would be a big jump from my Z945's but I want to at least hit something with new technology to see if I think I am missing out. I know that looking down at the HMP it fits my eye fine and that is a big hurdle. Anyway, I am enjoying the post and look forward to hearing more.

>

I also have an i210 7i with Recoil 110 shaft F4, 0.5" long, but 1* upright (my first fitting spec). And my original build was i210 with DG120 S300 shaft so I've now hit the i210 with a range of shaft weights. My numbers improved significantly comparing the DG120 to i95, and during that fitting I also hit the Recoil 110 shaft which iirc was in the ballpark. I think it comes down to swing style and how sensitive you are to weight. WIth time probably can adapt, but at some point you certainly end up too light (or too heavy the other way). I am finding the i95 regular and Recoil 95 F4 to be in the same zip code - I think i95 stiff compared to Recoil 95 F4 would be very different.

> @nostatic said:

> > @rxk9fan said:

>

> > I am right here with you guys. Elbow issues require graphite and FWIW, the SF are not near as friendly to my elbows as the Recoil. I am looking forward to demo days on 4/11/19 to try the HMP with Recoil hopefully. I recently moved from the SF 95 to the Recoil 95 and now to the Recoil 110. I much prefer the 110 but understand that is not a choice (at least at no cost) for the MHP? It would be a big jump from my Z945's but I want to at least hit something with new technology to see if I think I am missing out. I know that looking down at the HMP it fits my eye fine and that is a big hurdle. Anyway, I am enjoying the post and look forward to hearing more.

> >

> I also have an i210 7i with Recoil 110 shaft F4, 0.5" long, but 1* upright (my first fitting spec). And my original build was i210 with DG120 S300 shaft so I've now hit the i210 with a range of shaft weights. My numbers improved significantly comparing the DG120 to i95, and during that fitting I also hit the Recoil 110 shaft which iirc was in the ballpark. I think it comes down to swing style and how sensitive you are to weight. WIth time probably can adapt, but at some point you certainly end up too light (or too heavy the other way). I am finding the i95 regular and Recoil 95 F4 to be in the same zip code - I think i95 stiff compared to Recoil 95 F4 would be very different.

>

I agree with you Sir. I have played the following in different heads and I see them in this order with most firm on top:

SteelFiber 95 Stiff

Recoil 110 Proto F4

SteelFiber 95 Regular

Recoil 110 F4

Recoil 95F4

I enjoy the feel of the bottom two equally but feel I get a little quick with the 95gm weight. That could soon change as age is a factor and could grow more so relatively soon? The F4 is currently a great fit with my swing speed IMO. I took a few lessons from a very good pro this spring after 9 years away from golf. The swing speed has bumped up just a tick according to Trackman from early last year ( 99mph to the 105-106mph area with driver last session) but at the age of 60 I will guess F3 will be in the bag in the next 3 to 5 years?

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I got my set of HM Pro 5 iron-GW about three weeks ago now. Due to weather and a couple of other commitments, I haven't gotten out a ton since I got them. I've had three nine hole rounds and a couple of a range sessions, and I have to say I'm really struggling. I don't think the issue has anything to do with the HM Pros but instead is more likely the shaft that I chose.

As I think I posted on this thread previously, at my fitting I hit the HM Pro and Callaway Apex each with three different shafts: the C Taper Lite, the Dynamic Gold, and the Project X LZ 5.5, all in Stiff. There was really no standout winner amongst that collection as far the Trackman results. All the measurables were in a pretty tight range with both heads combined with all three of the shafts with the exception of the C Taper Lite, where my ball flight apex was about 10' lower with both heads than what I was getting with the others. With no stand-out winner, I ended up opting for what I thought at the time I felt the most comfortable with, and that was the HM Pro with the Project X LZ 5.5 shaft.

Now that I've received the clubs, I've had a tremendously difficult time hitting them, especially the 5-7 irons. As I get to the shorter irons I seem to fare a little bit better, but even there I wouldn't say the performance has been any better than with my old irons, Ping i20's. In trying to pinpoint what exactly the issue is that I'm having with the clubs, I keep coming back to the feel I'm getting from the shaft. It just feels like a brick in my hands. I don't know if it's too stiff (though I've always had stiff shafts in my irons) or too heavy or quite possibly both, but I just can't hit these. I'm hitting a lot of weak fades short and right, and even the shots where I'm making good contact and producing a nice ball flight are pushed to the right a bit. I'm also hitting a ton of shots fat.

For those more knowledgeable than myself, do these results sound like someone hitting a shaft that is either too heavy or too stiff for their swing? Any feedback would be much appreciated. I'm really feeling so bummed about this. I was really looking forward to getting new, fitted irons after quite a while with my old set. Again, I don't think the issue is with the HM Pro at all - I still feel like it should be a perfect head for me. The guys I played with on Friday said I should absolutely go back to the pro who I did the fitting with (who by the way is really a good guy and very knowledgeable so I don't really want to blame him for this situation) and let him know what's happening. The club should have a vested interest in making sure that its members are happy with their purchase, and let's face it it probably does not serve their fitting program well for other members to know that someone had to sell their new clubs online a month or so after they bought them. I will absolutely check in with him, though I wanted to get a couple more rounds in, maybe one full 18 before I do that.

> @clp34vmp said:

> As I think I posted on this thread previously, at my fitting I hit the HM Pro and Callaway Apex each with three different shafts: the C Taper Lite, the Dynamic Gold, and the Project X LZ 5.5, all in Stiff. There was really no standout winner amongst that collection as far the Trackman results.

Shafts are so personal, but I gather you like a heavier shaft. For you, the CT Lite is on the lighter side. For me, I really like CT Lite, but they are on the heavier side for me. My preferred shaft is the Modus Tour 105 stiff, but I do really like the CT Lite stiff as well. I simply can't play the DG--too heavy and kills my body. My only experience with the PX LZ 5.5 was during a Mizuno fitting, where that was one of the recommended shafts. I did not like it--heavier and more difficult to load than I like. PX iron shafts are solid, but never really click with me for long-term playing.

The CT Lite is a very stable, very solid shaft. Not for everyone, but I really like it. Anyway, if you are really not happy with the PX LZ 5.5, you simply need to get this rectified, or you won't be happy. If you want something heavier, go with the DG or maybe Modus Tour 120. Lighter, go with the CT Lite, or I would also recommend you try the Modus Tour 105 X or S.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

> @JMH1220 said:

> > @nostatic said:

> > I ordered an HMP 7-iron and it showed up today. Recoil 95 stiff, 0.5" long. Took it to the indoor bay to compare with my i210 (which is SteelFiber i95 regular, 0.5" long, 1* flat). Have to say the HMP is impressive. I didn't care for the HM - just too big and too much offset for my taste (though maybe not for my striking). On proper strikes the HMP was about 15 yards longer. I was a little shocked actually - and that was with crappy TaylorMade practice balls (which are terrible - feel like rocks). HMP has a hair more offset than the i210 and is a bit bigger, but still looks fine to my eye.

> >

> > I likely will get a few more HMP irons, just trying to decide between the Recoil 95 or LZ Tour graphite 6.0. Worried the LZ Tour may be a tad light (should be about 10 grams lighter in the club). I am hitting 85g shafts in my hybrids and they work well.

>

> Keep posting as you acquire more irons. It sounds like we have identical specs. I have both a steelfiber 95 and Recoil 95. And I’m very interested in the HMP.

I hit the HMP 7i with Recoil 95 F4 back to back with LZ Tour 5.0 and 6.0. I could feel some movement in transition with the LZ Tour 5.0 but didn't see serious dispersion issues. The 6.0 felt more like I'm used to. It also was regular length whereas the one with the Recoil is 0.5" long. I think the winning answer for me is LZ Tour 6.0 but only 0.25" long.

> @Micrys2 said:

> So for those of you in the know, can you compare the HMP to the TM P790 in terms of distance, feel, dispersion, and looks?

>

> Sorry if this has already been asked.

Hit both side by side today. Pretty comparable, numbers and dispersion was basically the same. HMP has a better feel when flushed. Hit the P790 really well and had a bit tighter disperion, but it felt harsher on solid strikes, wasn’t what I expected for a forged. I want to hit a few more options (z585, apex)

> @dmeeksDC said:

> > @noodle3872 said:

> > > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > QQ: The Pros apparently are the same lofts as the Hot Metal. Does this mean they're supposed to go the same distance?

> >

> > The couple side by side tests I’ve seen on YouTube or read online put distance neck and neck between the regular HM and the Pro model.

> >

> Everything I’ve seen says the HM may be ever so slightly longer than the HM Pro — like 1-2 yards —owing to a slightly deeper COG that boosts launch, but not much difference. And the Forged is only slightly behind either of them, but is a smaller head and therefore deemed to be a little less forgiving. May or may not be true for any given player. Forged could cost you a little more on mishits, but it does have a CNC reverse-milled cavity so it has more tech than the 900 version, which I thought was pretty forgiving. Probably not noticeable except in the 919 Forged long irons vs the HM or HM Pros.

>

> For me it would be all about the Forged vs the HM Pro. The Forged is visibly more compact, but not in a major way. They all look very playable. The offset in the HM long irons is pretty notiiceable but probably helps most players. It looks fine to me in the Forged or the HM Pro. I have played Ping i200 and I believe it is higher offset. But I found what I noticed in a store faded quickly on the golf course. Seemed to make the i200 4-5 irons really easy to launch so I don’t worry about offset too much unless it is really extreme.

I have looked at these a couple of times side by side and can't agree that the forged is more compact than the HMP. To my eye the HMP was visibly more compact than the forged, with the forged blade being longer. I really want to like the forged but I just can't get use to looking at a club that long. Just like the Bridgestone J40 DPC, great club but too long for my eyes.

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD