2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2019 Jones Trouper Bag

Steelhead

I had a Nike bag that was set up eerily similar to the Trouper top (and stand mechanism, same manufacturer?). I used the "putter well" for my driver and placed the putter in the next section down. That approach would make the handle usable when walking.

It's the same bag with new clothes. I still have my Nike Vapor X bag. I just got mine yesterday and the putter well also is what made me scratch my head. I'd say the nike straps are better though!

67fe8f0dea71868dd6f76ae6ee3efe5c.jpg

f3bb3dd687166bdab32a82204c5bc385.jpg

c5a9d23c46c61002e164e01e2c2eb440.jpg

Yep, no denying it from those pics. I always liked Nike bags, but did find this particular bag (I had the "Nike Sport Lite") to be kind of cheaply made. Hope that's not the case with the Trouper.

Guess they just went over to Nike and bought a buncha bags while they were emptying the warehouse huh?

That or Nike had a third party making their bags and they bought the rights to it/licensed it.

There is also the possibility they contracted the same 3rd party Nike used to use, and that third party sold them on this design without telling them it was used 5 years ago lol

They did add the handle to the top, which is nice for moving it around, but also makes the putter well largely useless for a putter

That or Nike had a third party making their bags and they bought the rights to it/licensed it.

There is also the possibility they contracted the same 3rd party Nike used to use, and that third party sold them on this design without telling them it was used 5 years ago lol

They did add the handle to the top, which is nice for moving it around, but also makes the putter well largely useless for a putter

Would you recommend buyin one? They look great but I thought they might have the full dividers.

Would you recommend buyin one? They look great but I thought they might have the full dividers.

So my Trouper made its maiden voyage today. I pushed it on my BB Quad. I didn't have any issues with the stand coming open (I didnt use the elastic straps to keep the legs closed). The bag is a little narrow for the pads that it rests in on the Quad, but I didnt have any issues with it moving around once I strapped it down. I started with my 2-ball in the second row and my driver and 3w in the putter well. I had to move it. I had a slight binding issue because of the SS 3.0 on it. Once I put it in the putter well I didnt have any other issues with binding. I was able to get all the clubs in and out very easily. I agree with the poster that said the pockets are a little small. There are a ton of small pockets for all your goodies. However, the large apparel pocket on the side seemed barely big enough for a Nike aeroloft zip up. I'll have to play around with that a bit more and see if it will be an issue.

I also have a BB Quad. Just got my bag this week so haven't used it yet. Bag does seem to sit on the Quad ok, but I did notice that the little wire ends with rubber boot at the top of the leg stand are what the bag seems to be resting on... Did you find the same?

Wonder how these will handle this / how long they will last.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what the character limit is for length of post on these forums is, but there is too much to say (good and bad) about this bag. I took it for a test 9 last week though, and the one flaw I couldn't get past was the strap setup. I had an old Wilson Levitator dual strap and bought some 2 sided Velcro and some D-rings. I've ventured a lot further from buyer's remorse and a lot closer to completely loving this bag. Now I just need to make this putter well fully divided. Likely an old school plastic tube in my future...

I agree, the straps are really poorly designed. The nike bags I have of the same structure have a much better strap system, its like they tried (and largely failed) to make it a tour bag style dual strap

I asked questions about the straps earlier in this thread since the strap for the left shoulder just looks out of place, like it's set too far back. Almost pulled the trigger during the BF discount, glad I didn't.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Do we know how water resistant this bag is yet (if at all)?

I don't believe it is water resistant at all. I gave it 2 layers of Scotchguard Heavy Duty Water Guard. It's still not waterproof, but the water beads up for a while. I was out in a torrential downpour and it took about 2 hours before the water barrier started giving out and appeared to be seeping into the fabric. That being said, I dont know if the fabric was water repellent to begin with. I dont spray my bags with the primary goal of water repellency, but to make it easier to keep them clean.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I don't believe it is water resistant at all. I gave it 2 layers of Scotchguard Heavy Duty Water Guard. It's still not waterproof, but the water beads up for a while. I was out in a torrential downpour and it took about 2 hours before the water barrier started giving out and appeared to be seeping into the fabric. That being said, I dont know if the fabric was water repellent to begin with. I dont spray my bags with the primary goal of water repellency, but to make it easier to keep them clean.

Does doing this change the color at all? give it a cloudy haze or anything?

Does doing this change the color at all? give it a cloudy haze or anything?

It didnt for me as far as i can tell. If there is any vinyl it can cause a haze. I used a different Scotchguard on some shoes and the parts that were plastic ended up with a haze on them. Easy enough to buff off... but it was a small surprise.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

Cool, thanks for the detailed reply.

Cheers,

Waz

Just as a follow up to the strap discussion I actually removed the secondary strap and reversed from how it can so that the Jones patch was on my front left shoulder then took it over top of the main strap and have had no issues. Everything is perfect.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

First round for my new bag today, have to say I absolutely loved it!!!!

I think it’s so much better than my Hoofer, yes the straps can be a bit of a pain, but once you get used to them, they are fine!

Taylormade Sim2/ Ventus Blue 
Taylormade Sim2 Ti/ Tour DI
Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58
Bettinardi BB0 Tour Hive/ Stability Tour Black Edition
Full bag here

Just as a follow up to the strap discussion I actually removed the secondary strap and reversed from how it can so that the Jones patch was on my front left shoulder then took it over top of the main strap and have had no issues. Everything is perfect.

Someone else lines thier strap with multiple gloves! Glad to see that. I thought maybe I was a weirdo for having multiple gloves in the rotation.

Regarding the straps, I just took my old Izzo off my Old Utility stand bag. Im quite used to it after 20 years. Saw no reason to change.

Someone else lines thier strap with multiple gloves! Glad to see that. I thought maybe I was a weirdo for having multiple gloves in the rotation.

Regarding the straps, I just took my old Izzo off my Old Utility stand bag. Im quite used to it after 20 years. Saw no reason to change.

For the record, just because TWO people line their gloves up like that does not mean that you BOTH arent weirdos. :cheesy:

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

Jones winter flash sale coupon code is WINTER30

Good for 30% off. Not as good as Black Friday, but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

just got mine today. i had it personalized and the turnaround was still pretty quick. ordered on 1/4 and arrived in southern california on 1/11.

took me a few minutes to figure out how to wear the dual straps. by default it seems the strap with the jones logo they want it on your left arm. this at least makes it easier to access the insulated pockets while you are walking from what i can tell. this might take some getting used to because im used to leading my right arm first when i carry.

i also tried swapping the non-logo strap to the other side but then the insulated pocket isnt readily accessible while walking.

im trying to find the right place to loop my bushnell range finder so that i can access it quickly as i am walking. am thinking about using that magnetic pocket on the front but just not sure how secure that will be.

love that it has so many pockets and i think the 5 way top config is ideal coming from a 14 way.

i'm excited to walk and use this bag soon.

Can one of you fine gentlemen please post a picture of what it looks like when it's being carried? I would like to see how their strap system works and how the bag sits on the back.

actually i messed around with it more at the golf course yesterday while my daughter was at her lesson.

i ended up putting the strap back the way it was sent but i flipped the D-ring upside down. i dont remember if that was how it was when it was shipped or not. but that seemed to keep the left strap from moving around as much.

i realized that the lumber support cushion is placed in such a way that the club heads should be to the right shoulder.

i had to mess around with it a bit to get it so i could reach the beverage pocket and to find a place for my range finder while walking and carrying. but i think i adjusted the straps to make it work.

i also have to be cognizant of my left hand when it reaches for the left strap to keep it in position but i imagine over time this will come second nature.

i ended up looking at a ton of pictures on their Instagram site to get a better idea of how to wear it, etc.

so while i could've worn it with my club heads to the left then the lumbar support cushion would have been facing outwards.

I looked at messing around with the straps, but after closer inspection, I left them as they came. I adjusted the length of the straps but left them in the orientation that they came in. When you look at the way the straps come, they were designed to be where they are. The middle strap is meant to be used either single or double strap. It's only adjustable on one end and due to the weight of the bag the clip/non-adjustable end should be at the top of the bag. The second strap pad has a slight taper and curve. The Jones label end is thick and then tapers/curves down. The wearer will probably want the thicker amount of padding on the shoulder, and the taper and curve naturally points in toward the users waist.

It's definitely a little different than what I have used in the past. My previous bags have all been double strap with some sort of balance system. That normally kept the straps from tangling. I have to be a bit more aware of where the straps are when I put the bag on my back. The more I use it the faster and easier it becomes.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

I had some clubs dump out yesterday (thankfully onto grass) when carrying one-shoulder using the main strap. Not good. The bag sits very level which is a risk for tipping if you get slight imbalance. When I'm carrying 2 shoulder I now tend to keep my left hand on the bottom of the bag. and if I carry 1 shoulder I'll keep my right hand on the handle so it doesn't tip downward.

I had some clubs dump out yesterday (thankfully onto grass) when carrying one-shoulder using the main strap. Not good. The bag sits very level which is a risk for tipping if you get slight imbalance. When I'm carrying 2 shoulder I now tend to keep my left hand on the bottom of the bag. and if I carry 1 shoulder I'll keep my right hand on the handle so it doesn't tip downward.

yeah i noticed yesterday while messing around with it, that the strap for single should usage, that the looser you have it the lower the club head side comes down -- tilts downwards.

so when i was adjusting it on my back i tried to make that strap as tight as tolerable so that with single shoulder usage it would still have more a tilt upwards.

i had something similar happen to me on my vacation last year with a SUV car rental. the golf course was adamant about putting my clubs in the trunk along with my wifes when we finished playing. then when we got back to our hotel, i popped open the trunk only to have my bag tumble down on to the street and one of my wedges got chipped.

since then i make sure to load my own stuff back in the car no matter how much they insist on helping.