2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2019 Jones Trouper Bag

Steelhead

I had some clubs dump out yesterday (thankfully onto grass) when carrying one-shoulder using the main strap. Not good. The bag sits very level which is a risk for tipping if you get slight imbalance. When I'm carrying 2 shoulder I now tend to keep my left hand on the bottom of the bag. and if I carry 1 shoulder I'll keep my right hand on the handle so it doesn't tip downward.

That seems like a major design flaw with the bag. A carry bag that easily spills your clubs?

I had some clubs dump out yesterday (thankfully onto grass) when carrying one-shoulder using the main strap. Not good. The bag sits very level which is a risk for tipping if you get slight imbalance. When I'm carrying 2 shoulder I now tend to keep my left hand on the bottom of the bag. and if I carry 1 shoulder I'll keep my right hand on the handle so it doesn't tip downward.

That seems like a major design flaw with the bag. A carry bag that easily spills your clubs?

It’s the first guy so far in 9 pages. Fingers crossed cause I ordered one.

When I carry with single strap always have and always will wear on my right shoulder, clubs facing backwards then I loop my left arm around the clubs so it goes at an angle downwards from left to right. No issue with clubs falling out.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

When I carry with single strap always have and always will wear on my right shoulder, clubs facing backwards then I loop my left arm around the clubs so it goes at an angle downwards from left to right. No issue with clubs falling out.

having a difficult time visualizing this. what does clubs facing backward mean. the opening of the bag points to your back and the foot of the bag faces in front of you? or the opening of the bag points in front of you and the foot of the bag behind? I think what you're essentially saying is that when you carry with one strap you push the bag up against your back as if you have the second strap on.... and your left arm holds the bottom of the bag behind your back basically? why not just put the 2nd strap on at that point

Like this... growing up playing before the double strap add on by Izzo was invented this is how we did it. Sorry tried to post snap shot of picture but it won’t upload.

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

Like this... growing up playing before the double strap add on by Izzo was invented this is how we did it. Sorry tried to post snap shot of picture but it won’t upload.

https://www.instagra...d=12tfg7jfxvuqu

thats interesting... never occurred to carry that way for me... guess im too young! LOL

hmmm but when you carry this way, isnt the lumbar cushion facing the outside? and not against your back?

https://www.instagra...d=12tfg7jfxvuqu

thats interesting... never occurred to carry that way for me... guess im too young! LOL

hmmm but when you carry this way, isnt the lumbar cushion facing the outside? and not against your back?

Possibly, but usually when I’m caring it like this it’s a short distance say from a green to the next Teebox or something of that nature just kind of a quick pick up and throw on then put down. If I am walking from my T shot to my second shot and probably throwing both straps on. 

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

so i used the bag for the first time this past saturday walking 18...

i feel like i learn something about this bag everytime i try to use it.

i realized that the single strap is not the strap with the logo on it. i's actually the "other strap"... which for me goes around my left arm and my right arm goes into the strap with the logo when carrying with both arms.

i guess in theory you could use either strap for single strap carry but once i started to use the strap without the logo as my single strap, there was better balance.

i had some hiccups at times getting the stand legs to fully extend out. not sure what it was but a couple times i had to make a real conscious effort to pay attention that the stand legs extended all the way out.

im still trying to figure out the best organization of my clubs because the club tangle seems to catch quite a bit more than i was expecting, especially in the 2 smaller side wells. i try to fit my 3 long irons in one and then my 3 wedges in the other.

Just saw on their Instagram story that they have a bag to attach on the side of the Trouper! Ideal for your laser distance finder, multiple colours as well. Sent them a message and they are saying it will be available some time in spring

00c9c112cdc8b2c752dfb2ed6af1e009.jpg

Taylormade Sim2/ Ventus Blue 
Taylormade Sim2 Ti/ Tour DI
Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58
Bettinardi BB0 Tour Hive/ Stability Tour Black Edition
Full bag here

Picked up an olive one, I've been waiting for them to come up with something that will be easier to use with midsize grips!

Do you have any pics of said bag? How do you like it now that you have had it for a while. I am deciding between this and a Titleist stand bag 4, 5, or 14). I currently have a six section Axiom bag i bought at clearance time. Would like to get the right set up and not have to think about this again for the foreseeable future. Any thoughts would help. Thanks in advance.

Picked up an olive one, I've been waiting for them to come up with something that will be easier to use with midsize grips!

Do you have any pics of said bag? How do you like it now that you have had it for a while. I am deciding between this and a Titleist stand bag 4, 5, or 14). I currently have a six section Axiom bag i bought at clearance time. Would like to get the right set up and not have to think about this again for the foreseeable future. Any thoughts would help. Thanks in advance.

you should hold off a few months if you're thinking of different colors. their insta story was showing some grey/blue/cream colors and some other different looking stuff

The Instagram post showed these new styles as summer releases.

bRUD3jK.jpg

K8KQUel.jpg

2dqf6B5.jpg

eR4yzJU.jpg

SoEP9zK.jpg

Rjuyh1O.jpg

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Just played my first rainy round with the Trouper.

Couple layers of Scotchguard and it seem fine!

Taylormade Sim2/ Ventus Blue 
Taylormade Sim2 Ti/ Tour DI
Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58
Bettinardi BB0 Tour Hive/ Stability Tour Black Edition
Full bag here

Any issues with a mallet in the putter well? Looks like a blade fits perfectly sideways, which you can't do w/ a mallet.

I use a 2ball. My experience is that if you want to use the upper handle constantly to lift the bag the mallet can get in the way. The mallet head basically fills up that putter well and makes it difficult to grab the top plastic handle. I swing the head of my putter out so its not resting in the well, but more resting on the top of the bag. This gives me access to the top handle.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

think i'm gonna go for it on mine then too. i had emailed jones about it being water proof and they said it was water resistant and should be fine in the rain. i wish there was at least a waterproof valuables pocket but no such luck

think i'm gonna go for it on mine then too. i had emailed jones about it being water proof and they said it was water resistant and should be fine in the rain. i wish there was at least a waterproof valuables pocket but no such luck

i didnt have any discoloration on mine. I gave it 3 layers of this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYLJ3SI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

• 3 weeks later...

My Trouper (black) was delivered yesterday and.. I'm not sure how I feel about it. This is my first Jones bag - heck, first time ever seeing one in person. I bought this bag specifically for walking rounds. I do like the look, size, and simplicity of it. The bag set up is nice - Good amount of pockets although I plan to keep this bag packed light. Stand works fine. All 14 clubs fit fine.. but I guess I am little disappointed in some things:

-Lots of plastic going on for the clips and rings. I kind of figured these would be some type of lighter metal. Maybe I had a higher expectation for a $230 bag?

-The straps. I know this has been a big topic so I knew going into purchasing that these would be "different" than the modern two shoulder style strap. I've tried adjusting these several different ways to work for a two strap system. I finally have it functional but it just doesn't feel great. I realize that Jones is known for the traditional single strap carry system but I just wish these had a modern two shoulder strap option. I actually did find it more comfortable just using the single strap with the bag across my back and having my left hand holding the strap towards the base. This wasn't too bad.

-The water bottle pocket. I really wish this was on the other side of that large bottom pocket. Not a huge deal but I am used to it being on the other side from my previous bag and much easier access while walking/carrying.

I'd like to get it out for some rounds and see how it goes. Unfortunately, that wont be for while here in Michigan. I do like the bag but just had slightly higher expectations for the materials and design. I am tempted to order the Vessel Lite to compare.

My Trouper (black) was delivered yesterday and.. I'm not sure how I feel about it. This is my first Jones bag - heck, first time ever seeing one in person. I bought this bag specifically for walking rounds. I do like the look, size, and simplicity of it. The bag set up is nice - Good amount of pockets although I plan to keep this bag packed light. Stand works fine. All 14 clubs fit fine.. but I guess I am little disappointed in some things:

-Lots of plastic going on for the clips and rings. I kind of figured these would be some type of lighter metal. Maybe I had a higher expectation for a $230 bag?

-The straps. I know this has been a big topic so I knew going into purchasing that these would be "different" than the modern two shoulder style strap. I've tried adjusting these several different ways to work for a two strap system. I finally have it functional but it just doesn't feel great. I realize that Jones is known for the traditional single strap carry system but I just wish these had a modern two shoulder strap option. I actually did find it more comfortable just using the single strap with the bag across my back and having my left hand holding the strap towards the base. This wasn't too bad.

-The water bottle pocket. I really wish this was on the other side of that large bottom pocket. Not a huge deal but I am used to it being on the other side from my previous bag and much easier access while walking/carrying.

I'd like to get it out for some rounds and see how it goes. Unfortunately, that wont be for while here in Michigan. I do like the bag but just had slightly higher expectations for the materials and design. I am tempted to order the Vessel Lite to compare.

pretty much the same. you'd figure for what they're charging for the bag that it'd be a bit more functional/nicer. i thought the strap complaints were bs but once i put it on i was like what in the hell is this. i've only walked back and forth from the car to the range with it so hopefully it breaks in/gets better

If you want pretty much the same bag with much better straps try to find the Nike Sport Lite. They still pop up on ebay in new condition.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up returning my Trouper and bought the original Utility stand bag. I thought the Trouper was a great bag but some of the things I listed in my above post were bothersome to me. I like the regular Utility stand bag quite a bit more. Slightly smaller profile and better quality with the rings and clips, IMO. To my surprise, I like the 3 way opening better along with the plush material around it. The strap system is pretty much the same set up but I found this to work just fine after making the right adjustments. I'll likely only carry single strap anyways. Also, I like the stand operation better too.

Not trying to steer anyone away from the Trouper. It's a great bag but it just didn't check all the boxes for me. YMMV.

Now I am in the market for the Players Series for a smaller set of mine.

Anyone know how often Jones sends out promo codes? Not necessarily ready to buy, but I've seen in a couple spots folks say they're pretty few and far between.

Ping G400
Ping Anser 3W
Ping Anser 3H
Ping i210 4-PW DGTI X100
Ping Glide 50*
Ping Glide 3.0 54* Eye2
Ping Glide 2.0 60* E/S
Ping Vault Anser 2

Anyone know how often Jones sends out promo codes? Not necessarily ready to buy, but I've seen in a couple spots folks say they're pretty few and far between.
Usually two or three times a year. I have seen the most aggressive deal at black Friday. I also remember a 30% deal around labor day (I think)

You can get 20percent off now with Mula20