P790 are letting me down.

Devster

When I bought these all I did was hit a 7 iron a few times and I was sold. I never realized the distance jump I'd be getting. EXCEPT the short irons. I'm luck to get 110yds out of the PW and the 9 is only slightly more. I even have the AW that I hit about as far as my 56. All the irons are ridiculous for distance gains. I haven't had a enough rounds yet to really figure them out. So far their just totally unpredictable.

Anyone experiencing the same problem?

Why would you be sold after only hitting the 7 iron? Should have demo'ed the whole set. I found out after doing so I was hitting my 6 iron as good as my PW. There was your 1st mistake as I'm not having any regrets with my purchase, were you fitted? did you buy these used? If so why not have the lofts checked as you have to be the only one to experience this issue. I'm in my 60's and hit my PW 120 - 125 yds. I'm very pleased with the performance that I'm getting with these irons. From my long irons to short irons they are very predictable. Are they the best irons out there I doubt it but I'm loving mine.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Ya I get it I should of done a lot more demo-ing. I finally decide to ditch the old Nike blades and end up with the most forgiving distance improving irons on the planet.

No worries I'll figure them out. It's just a little frustrating when you pure a 6 iron and get over 200yds,,, especially when the back of the green is 190 out and think no way will I be long!

But with the PW I can't even get 130 out of it. The Nike was a solid 140 all day!

Btw got brand new.

When I bought these all I did was hit a 7 iron a few times and I was sold. I never realized the distance jump I'd be getting. EXCEPT the short irons. I'm luck to get 110yds out of the PW and the 9 is only slightly more. I even have the AW that I hit about as far as my 56. All the irons are ridiculous for distance gains. I haven't had a enough rounds yet to really figure them out. So far their just totally unpredictable.

Had a set for a week - demo'd the 7 iron inside, looked and felt great. Out on the course, I realized the sole was too wide with too much bounce. Was hoping they'd play as a modern blade but there's no substitute for the real deal!

Handicap:  3

Was fitted for mine, and had 4 months of total frustration. Could not get the distances dialed in. Sold them and back to the trusty iblades.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

I have been extremely happy with them thus far. I only demo'd the 7 iron, but I did it on a monitor against my own 7 iron. Then I demo'd the 7 iron head with 6 or 7 different shafts on 2 separate occasions to confirm. I have found the distances to be have a reasonable gap between them. I am about a half club longer with them, than my Apex Pros. Because of the slight distance increase, I find myself swinging easier, rather than trying to squeeze a few more yards out of them, and am hitting more greens as a result.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I would use some foot spray or impact tape and make sure you are getting similar contact locations on the club. It may be as simple as you are getting the short irons too far out on the toe. It seems like the toe miss is the most penalizing miss on the hollow body irons.

Check your angle of attack. The long & mid irons of the P790 spin low and can "fly". If you're steep on the short irons they can spin a lot, creating gapping issues.

You didn't mention which shafts you've got. If they're the Recoil's (and a little on the soft side for your swing speed) then I'd be looking at them as a possible cause.

If this is not the case, get the lofts checked. If they're spot on, then adjust them to fit your needs, or go to a combo set (P770s bent 1.5°-2° strong) on the bottom end.

A lot of players I've fitted with the P790s fall in love with the added distance, and forget that irons are used to get the ball close to the flag.

I have two rounds in with the 790s and have not noticed any issues with the short irons. They got the exact same amount of distance in my PW and GW than my old set, because they are identical lofts. What is more unique to me is the larger gapping from the 5 - 8 iron. I get more distance out of the 5,6,7 and it's requiring me to hit more "choke down" 7 iron shots where I used to hit a full 7. Nothing I can't quickly adjust to and in fact, I like the larger gapping dispersion because I used to have 8/9 yards in between longer irons and now have a solid 12/13, more like average gapping.

I have had 0 issues with spin even using modus 120s which have a flatter ball flight. So far, the P790s are a real winner now I'm just trying to find something better than my R7 Driver to finally put me in a frickin fairway to take advantage.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

Played the 790's for a few months and they have been exceptional. I did have the lofts and lies adjusted though, so I know what they are. I play the 5-P and find the 5, 6 & 7 are about a club longer than my iE1's while the 8-P are about 1/2 club longer.

Had my Glide gap wedge bent to 49* and it was already at the same length as the 790 PW, so no issues for me as the PW is 125 and GW is 110, SW 95 and LW 80.

Shafts are Dynamic golf 105 s300. The Nike blades that I played before these have x100 shafts.

Really appreciate all the feedback. I agree I really need to figure out where I'm impacting the face of the iron. The foot spray is a cool idea! Hopefully today I can get to the range and try that.

The S300 105's have a totally different bend profile than the X100's so this could be significant, and you've massively reduced the club weight which is another variable.

If your miss before was a blocky fade and now you're pulling the ball on bad swings it could be the shaft weight.

Any chace on getting some fitting numbers?

Typically I'm used to seeing a slight draw,,, now everything seems to be a fade. Really stinks when you setup expecting a draw and that fade happens. Plus I'm to stubborn to start playing a fade.

You'd of thought with spending this much on clubs I'd of got fitted! Guess now I'll look into it!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Typically I'm used to seeing a slight draw,,, now everything seems to be a fade. Really stinks when you setup expecting a draw and that fade happens. Plus I'm to stubborn to start playing a fade.

You'd of thought with spending this much on clubs I'd of got fitted! Guess now I'll look into it!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

At 1st wen I demo'ed the entire set with the 6 iron and above I was hitting a slight fade when fitted but it was something I was ready to play as it had a very nice piercing trajectory. Now that I had them out on the course everything just wants to go straight, somethings they draw a little as they are not easy to work the ball, at least not for me. Thats OK as I'm hitting more greens than I have with these then any other set of irons that I've owned

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Ive had mine for almost a year and am very pleased with them. I am hitting them about a club longer and the gaps are perfect for me. PW is 125-130 and 9 iron is 140-150 depending on the type of swing I make.

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

Maybe not knowing if your iron is going 129 or 110 yards brings a more ‘wild thing’ to your golf game.

Could be great!

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

... My experience was the opposite. The pw is a little longer than my previous pw's and even bent 1* weak at 46* it was about 5 yds longer. Once I started playing more 3/4 an 1/2 wedge shots and only using my pw for full shots at max distance, everything fell into place for me. I thought the Cobra Amp Forged/Fly Z+/Forged Tours were the best combo of accuracy, forgiveness and looks at address, obviously I bought all 3 versions. But the P790's are everything the Cobra's are with added forgiveness and a little more yardage in the long irons and my P790's continue to be the best irons I have played.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Had a set for a week - demo'd the 7 iron inside, looked and felt great. Out on the course, I realized the sole was too wide with too much bounce. Was hoping they'd play as a modern blade but there's no substitute for the real deal!

This too was my issue with the 790's.

Check your angle of attack. The long & mid irons of the P790 spin low and can "fly". If you're steep on the short irons they can spin a lot, creating gapping issues.

You didn't mention which shafts you've got. If they're the Recoil's (and a little on the soft side for your swing speed) then I'd be looking at them as a possible cause.

If this is not the case, get the lofts checked. If they're spot on, then adjust them to fit your needs, or go to a combo set (P770s bent 1.5°-2° strong) on the bottom end.

A lot of players I've fitted with the P790s fall in love with the added distance, and forget that irons are used to get the ball close to the flag.

Sounds like great advice. I have decent speed, but deliver a lot of loft and have noticed the short irons don't seem to go as far as the corresponding long irons. Interesting.

Did you get the lofts checked?

I do notice though that in my set, I think I have the opposite issue. Here are my rough gaps (in carry):

4i 195-200

5i 180-185

6i 170-175

7i 158-163

8i 152-157

9i 145-150

PW 130-135

So for me, my 8i and 9i are kind of "hot". I had the lofts checked when I got them and they were all spot on. Perhaps they got a few * stronger over the months, but I kind of doubt that. At most I want only a few yards between the lowest carry of one iron and the max carry of the other on my short and mids. Currently, the gap between 7,8 and 9 is perfect, but it causes a huge space between 9 and PW and 6 to 7.

I had a chance to play two rounds with demo 790's this summer, and I couldn't get dialed in on distance at all. I've been using a set of Rsi TP irons for a couple of years now, and assumed these might be a next logical place to land, but I couldn't get the to work.

It's interesting, I meant to check before but this thread made me actually look...the lofts are almost a full club off from mine to the 790's, but it isn't a consistent difference club to club. That might have had a lot to do with the issues.

M5 w/Rogue
Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
MD3 50/54/58
Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert