P790 are letting me down.

Devster

I hit it when it first came in and thought it was pretty horrible....

I hit it fine just look and sound of it was irritating.....my buddy had set and used it on course...same deal hit it great just didnt like look or sound of it....but apparently alot of people do like it so guess I am the idiot, lol

If you make horrible swings still gonna get bad result, doesn't matter what club you got

When I bought these all I did was hit a 7 iron a few times and I was sold. I never realized the distance jump I'd be getting. EXCEPT the short irons. I'm luck to get 110yds out of the PW and the 9 is only slightly more. I even have the AW that I hit about as far as my 56. All the irons are ridiculous for distance gains. I haven't had a enough rounds yet to really figure them out. So far their just totally unpredictable.

Anyone experiencing the same problem?

Had a set for a week - demo'd the 7 iron inside, looked and felt great. Out on the course, I realized the sole was too wide with too much bounce. Was hoping they'd play as a modern blade but there's no substitute for the real deal!

This too was my issue with the 790's.

So what issue would that cause? The width of the sole has nothing to do with contact and the bounce on these is minimal.

When I bought these all I did was hit a 7 iron a few times and I was sold. I never realized the distance jump I'd be getting. EXCEPT the short irons. I'm luck to get 110yds out of the PW and the 9 is only slightly more. I even have the AW that I hit about as far as my 56. All the irons are ridiculous for distance gains. I haven't had a enough rounds yet to really figure them out. So far their just totally unpredictable.

Had a set for a week - demo'd the 7 iron inside, looked and felt great. Out on the course, I realized the sole was too wide with too much bounce. Was hoping they'd play as a modern blade but there's no substitute for the real deal!

So what issue would that cause? The width of the sole has nothing to do with contact and the bounce on these is minimal.

lol..again ? minimal? they have more than my sand wedge .

sole does effect strike.. otherwise why have any bounce at all ?

i havent tested these on course...so dont really have an opinion..But i do have a pal who bought a set fitted to him with steelfiber... on trackman outside they could not close the gap from 7 iron to 8 iron enough to make them playable. they bent the 7 4 degrees weak and he still hit the 7 iron 25 yards farther than the 8 .. this is a 2 cap whos 58 years old .... very very repeatable swing... he sold them after 7 days and still playing his mizuno jpx set.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

That last sentence 110% true!!!! Ain't nothing like the real thing as you well know

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

i havent tested these on course...so dont really have an opinion..But i do have a pal who bought a set fitted to him with steelfiber... on trackman outside they could not close the gap from 7 iron to 8 iron enough to make them playable. they bent the 7 4 degrees weak and he still hit the 7 iron 25 yards farther than the 8 .. this is a 2 cap whos 58 years old .... very very repeatable swing... he sold them after 7 days and still playing his mizuno jpx set.

I had this same exact problem. 25 yard gap between 7 & 8 iron. Never fixed it, and they never made it in the bag.

Titleist TSR3 9* - KBS TD 60 CAT3 | Taylormade SIM2 Max 3HL(16.5*) - VA Composites Raijin 74 four | Taylormade Sim2 Max 5w(18*) - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x | Srixon Z785 4-PW - KBS Tour FLT (S) | Vokey SM8 50.08F(51*), 56.12D, SM9 64.04W - DG Tour Issue S400 | Scotty Cameron Fastback

It’s to add a bit of forgiveness on SLIGHTLY heavy shots. If you’re a pure ball striker it’s moot and simply a very minimal feel preference. A sand wedge with 14* of bounce isn’t unplayable from a perfect fairway lie but some will look to blame those poor shots on the club. These clubs aren’t for everyone just like any other club.

It’s to add a bit of forgiveness on SLIGHTLY heavy shots. If you’re a pure ball striker it’s moot and simply a very minimal feel preference. A sand wedge with 14* of bounce isn’t unplayable from a perfect fairway lie but some will look to blame those poor shots on the club. These clubs aren’t for everyone just like any other club.

... Amen. Sole does not effect strike if you hit ball first. If you hit it fat, it does effect your strike but not a well struck shot. What it does effect is the way the clubhead goes thru the ground right after the ball has left the club face. A thinner sole with a sharper leading edge will carve a nice divot quite easily where the P790's will carve a very similar divot but not cut thru the ground as easily. In golf we have heard this time and time again "feel isn't real". Playing side by side with my Honma 737's I hit the same shot, taking the same divot and pretty much producing similar shot although the P790 launches a little higher with a little less spin and does travel a little farther. But the Honmas get thru the ground like a knife going thru soft butter and the 790's are more like cutting thru a nice rare steak. I take a medium size and depth divot, so the bounce and sole width means on these work fine for me. Someone with a steeper or more shallow AOA might be a little more sensitive to the bounce, all due to feel not performance and again only on well struck shots. I will say hitting these two irons side by side, especially if you have always played a sharper leading edge with less bounce, I can see why someone would immediately not like them, based on feel alone.

... Now the difference is shots hit just a hair fat because I can get away with that shot using the 790's but I cannot using my 737's that will immediately start digging with it's sharp leading edge. So like everything in equipment, there is a trade off. Do you want a better feel going thru the turf, or do you want a little forgiveness if you just miss it? That of course is up to the individual. It goes without saying, but just in case, irons are not wedges that have bounce designed to be hit from sand, green side rough, open faced and purposefully engaging the bounce to play a specific shot.

... P790 's are just irons and if they fit the design parameters of what you are looking for, I have not hit anything better. And as you stated, distance irons they are not for everyone. But for everyone experiencing wild gapping and fliers, there are 100 more that have not experienced any of those problems. I post on P790 threads because I have more than 200 rounds with them and I love mine and think they are a true break thru in technology, with due respect to PXG that started this category. I think if you are in the market for a distance iron that is also forgiving and looks good at address, the P790's are a must demo. So hopefully those reading the positive responses on any P790 thread demo a set to see if these work for them and then make their own decisions. I am always amazed at how many comment on these threads that have never hit a distance iron or "i havent tested these on course...so dont really have an opinion" and then give us their opinion on every single P790 thread.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

That's it! There'll be a set of 790s on fleabay soon! I played Thursday and flew too many greens. One pitiular where I had 147yds and I knew an 8 was way to much so I went with the 9 and dang near came up 20 short. Yaya I could work on different shots with the same club. But these things are so unpredictable. I've had a lot of different set and never have I been so inconsistent. Plus I just don't need the extra distance these are capable of..

Biggern-

agree on all accounts .. I didnt mean to make my post mostly about turf interaction... My main point was the obvious gap from 7 iron to 8 iron ... talked at length with the TM rep about it and he quietly admitted it was an issue for folks who hit their irons consistently ...He said he had some success getting guys to bend the 7-3 irons weak and the 8-aw strong..But it didnt work for my pal... He still nuked the 7 and hit higher and shorter shots with the 8. For reference he plays to a 2 with jpx900 with px LZ graphite...so should have been comparable enough to work. We asked the question to the rep- "why on earth did they stop the tungesten and slot at the 7 ? why not through the whole set "... his response.. " i dont know... but i bet they next gen has it sorted out "....

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Had the same issue. I picked us a used set 4-P last week and took them out a few days ago. I was struggling to get 120 yds of the PW when my 900 Forged PW is a solid 135+. The 900F gap wedge is 120 yds.

I checked the lofts and lie's this morning and they are off. The PW was 47*, 9 - 42*, 8 - 35*, 7 - 30*, 6 - 28*, 5 - 24*, 4 - 21.5*. Lies should be 2* flat but ranged between 0 and 2* across the set.

I doubt that 2* stronger on the wedge will make up a 15 yds deficit but it should help. I will check again when I am next out.

Also, these do bend but it takes some work and I would be reluctant to push past 2-3* either way.

Same problem with both the P790 and I500

Golf Daily

I have the gap issue with the P790 but it's not nearly as bad with the i500's. I thought it was just me, but reading all the threads here it's obviously a design flaw that affects many.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

OP Check the club length compared to your old set. Mine where like a inch or more shorter. Solid contact and nothing, i had it compared and Boom there was the issue. My fitter fixed it and viola back to normal.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

OP Check the club length compared to your old set. Mine where like a inch or more shorter. Solid contact and nothing, i had it compared and Boom there was the issue. My fitter fixed it and viola back to normal.

Your club fitter fixes stringed instruments, too?

But seriously... Do the P790s come with shorter than standard shafts? Or were you just used to playing longer than standard shafts, and so the standard lengths of the 790s were "too short" for you?

But seriously... Do the P790s come with shorter than standard shafts? Or were you just used to playing longer than standard shafts, and so the standard lengths of the 790s were "too short" for you?

37.75" 5 iron USED to be normal, then it was 38, then 38.25, then 38.50-.75 ---- hence a modern 5 iron is yes almost 1 inch longer -- personally I LOVE the stock lengths on my 5 foot 7 frame!

Shorter then my length, i got fit the year before and they were not same as my clubs and it was causing issues.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I actually got fit for mine at the Kingdom and while I was there Perry mentioned the p770’s being a good choice as well. I’ve had the full set of p790’s and the one thing I don’t love is the minimal feel difference between a good shot and a poor one. Bit the bullet on 8-AW p770’s and had them bent to the same adjustments as my others. I won’t mind losing a little yardage with my 9-AW personally though...it’s tough telling yourself to pull 9 from 165.

I actually got fit for mine at the Kingdom and while I was there Perry mentioned the p770s being a good choice as well. Ive had the full set of p790s and the one thing I dont love is the minimal feel difference between a good shot and a poor one. Bit the bullet on 8-AW p770s and had them bent to the same adjustments as my others. I wont mind losing a little yardage with my 9-AW personally though...its tough telling yourself to pull 9 from 165.

Mine must be different as I can tell a huge difference in feel and sound between a perfectly struck shot and a marginally struck shot with mine.

I actually got fit for mine at the Kingdom and while I was there Perry mentioned the p770’s being a good choice as well. I’ve had the full set of p790’s and the one thing I don’t love is the minimal feel difference between a good shot and a poor one. Bit the bullet on 8-AW p770’s and had them bent to the same adjustments as my others. I won’t mind losing a little yardage with my 9-AW personally though...it’s tough telling yourself to pull 9 from 165.

Mine must be different as I can tell a huge difference in feel and sound between a perfectly struck shot and a marginally struck shot with mine.

... Yup, feel is subjective and WRX feel is even more subjective. I cannot tell any difference between a perfectly struck shot using my 790 distance irons or my old 690 MB's. Both feel like absolutely nothing. And I find a HUGE difference between a good shot and a poor shot. And there is a difference in feel on those I miss just a little as they still feel good with 790's and not quite as good with 690's. So as far as feedback it is certainly dampened a bit with the 790's but it is still there. I love hitting a 7 iron to a flag tucked over a bunker from 170 needing to carry the ball 165 and thinking "missed that just a little but still gonna be a good shot".

I just have to say...after 40 years of playing, this set befuddled me. I hit some glorious shots. I hit some bad ones too. Feel was like saccharin - artificially sweet, but felt super sweet nonetheless. I have never been farther over the green than with these clubs. At other times, I’m wondering why my 8 iron didn’t reach the green, never mind the hole on a well struck shot. The other issue I have with “forgiving” irons is that the masking of bad swings creeps into the driver. (This is my theory and subject to ridicule!) Now - when I play less forgiving irons, I am more accurate with better distance control. So..back to iblades (yes not blades). By the way, I was fitted, driver through putter at Taylormade Canada. Bought all recommended. Only club I love is my 58 Hi-Toe wedge. I like the M4 Tour. The MG wedges are nice.

It's ridiculous how hight the AW, PW AND 9 iron fly. Pretty sure that has to do with the loss of distance I'm experiencing. Everything else seem to have fairly normal trajectories

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

Shafts are Dynamic golf 105 s300. The Nike blades that I played before these have x100 shafts.

Really appreciate all the feedback. I agree I really need to figure out where I'm impacting the face of the iron. The foot spray is a cool idea! Hopefully today I can get to the range and try that.

I'd bet it is a spin issue caused by the change in shafts. I struggled with wedge and short iron play for years and just never could hit my irons what I felt was a proper distance. Switched to x100 after playing stiff flex for years and gained two full clubs worth of distance through the bag. Wedge play is now a strength of my game.

The real story will be finding out where you are with Dynamic Loft not so much static Loft... go to a qualified teacher or fitter that has FlightScope or Trackman and

hit the entire set and record your numbers. The answer may be in how you deliver the club face at impact.

Example- PW Static Loft 45 degrees delivered at 49 degrees will produce distance of a Gap Wedge.

Just another angle and it really does matter..... That's how a Pro hits a PW 170 Yards --- Shaft Lean

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

... These threads are always a little amusing. I shot a 68 yesterday in 10mph winds and my P790's could not have been more accurate. I hit 15 GIRs. I used my pw from 110 into the wind and 145 downwind and got predictable results. 3 shots within 2 feet of the flag and you don't get that with irons without distance consistency. I had one flier where the ball was in light rough so definitely some grass between the club face and ball, so my 8 iron into that 10mph wind traveled 155 and I was expecting 145 with such a strong wind dead in my face. I contemplated using my 9 iron to compensate for a possible flier but a deep bunker with a very think grass face guarding the front dictated a miss long was much better than a miss short.

... I just will never quite understand reliability problems with distance irons or any irons really, as I think if you have a repeatable swing in both speed and path, hit the middle more often than not, any iron will produce predictable results. I was fit for P790's at a demo day using a 7 iron and my swing speed was virtually identical with 1mph + or - on a few. The guy next to me with a higher swing speed had a 5 mph variance in both directions and predictably had a large distance discrepancy and I heard him tell the fitter "these irons are just all over the place" LOL to his credit the fitter did not tell him "No, it is your swing that is all over the place". Instead he just handed him the P770's to hit.

• Like 1

I just played my 790’s for the third time ( did not get fitted but bought the black LE with 105 s300 shafts per a golf pro friend) and have shot in the high 70’s with very accurate yardage’s and I agree it’s more the repeatable swing from the player than the iron. I sold my AP3’s and have tried many other irons and narrowed it down to two: Ping I500 and p790’s. Liked them both but the TM’s looked better to me. My PW travels about 135-140 without the elements in FL and my 7 iron plays 170. They are slightly longer than my AP3’s but with less offset. Hope this helps.

I think the problem with people who are getting yardages gaps in some of their irons is simple. These irons are so forgiving that you can be a smooth swinger or get as aggressive as you like and get great accuracy and without putting much thought into it our swing speed is not as consistent in tempo. This happens a lot when you hitting such a forgiving set of muscle back irons. I'm loving mine as I have played with tendentious in my elbow played with back pain and still I'm still able to hit some great looking shots on line.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip