TS2 vs TS3 fairway

BostonWRX

Review by Michael Newton Golf

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Looking for some guys who have hit them.

I hit them on 9/6 durring my driver fitting.

Absolutely amazing to look down at. Feel is better than my 917 f2. They were both longer than my F2 but nothing major. tS2 flew a bit higher for me than the 3. I went with the three because I primarily hit it off a tee and like the lower ball flight and run after it lands.

The face of the 3 is only slightly deeper than the 2. Visually for me the difference in face is not as pronounced as the F2/F3 line.

I went with the Smoke as well in the fairway wood, 70 Xflex felt the best to me.

Absolutely amazing to look down at. Feel is better than my 917 f2. They were both longer than my F2 but nothing major. tS2 flew a bit higher for me than the 3. I went with the three because I primarily hit it off a tee and like the lower ball flight and run after it lands.

The face of the 3 is only slightly deeper than the 2. Visually for me the difference in face is not as pronounced as the F2/F3 line.

I went with the Smoke as well in the fairway wood, 70 Xflex felt the best to me.

im leaning TS3 just based off what I read and have seen. Going to look at then this weekend

Any issue launching the 3 off the ground?

im leaning TS3 just based off what I read and have seen. Going to look at then this weekend

Any issue launching the 3 off the ground?

About the same as my 917. Not to bad on either head. When I hit a 3 wood off the deck 99% of the time I'm taking a little turf after the ball to make sure I get it in the sweet spot. I'm not good at sweeping it off the deck.

I dont know for me the ball feels like it just jumps off the face. That was the same feeling on the TS3 driver. They really did a great job with these woods.

If you have a chance go play around with them. In a store or a titleist Thursday. You will really like them. Just make sure you find one that gives you what you are looking for.

I tested both in all shaft offerings. In partial to the 2, but could easily take the 3. Look & feel are the best of the current fww models from other manufacturers. The carry distance had me do a double take. Longer than M3/M4 for me but easier to launch off the deck. Rogue 3W still is the longest damn fww I’ve ever hit. Overall I lean either TS models for overall performance + stellar stock shaft options. Def worth testing both out imo.

I am more of a sweeper with my woods so I went with the TS2 for added forgiveness. I was debating between the Smoke or the Tensei and ultimately went with the Tensei because I've always liked the blueboard profile. Replaced a G400 3 wood which was fine it itself except I found it thunderously loud; louder than my driver. This is much more pleasing to my ears.

Ping G430 Max Driver
Callaway Paradym 3HL Fairway

Titleist TSR2 5 Fairway
Titleist U505 4
Titleist T200 5, T150 6, T100 7-GW
Mizuno T22 54D, 60X

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my 16.5° TS2 after much anticipation. I had been struggling with the fairway wood spot for some time now and recently decided to give a '4' wood a shot, rather than a '3' wood. The added loft and shorter length (42.5") are very easy to get off the deck and pretty straight-forward from the tee as well. I decided to go with the Tensei over the Smoke, it felt a little smoother in my hands. The TS2 also has a larger footprint that my previous fairway woods and is very forgiving.

• 2 weeks later...

First time out with TS3 15 degree fairway wood with Tensei shaft today. Coming from 917 F3 with Blueboard.

No data, as actually playing this morning, but observations in real world situation. Club set to B1, with Surefit CG weight left at neutral.

Hit it off the first tee.....pure draw right down the center, and long. Couple of holes later, Par 5, about 270 to the green and pured it off the deck about 25 yards short of the green. No issue elevating this club off the deck.

Used it off the tee on a few more holes, and off the deck once more. All very good shots, great trajectory, and my sense on the course was this club was definitely longer than my F3, and even felt better than the F3.

Great club, and my TS3 9.5 degree driver with Tensei elicited a similar sense that my 917’s will be moving permanently to the staffbag that sits in my office and holds a few of my old favorites!

Highly recommend this club!

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

First time out with TS3 15 degree fairway wood with Tensei shaft today. Coming from 917 F3 with Blueboard.

No data, as actually playing this morning, but observations in real world situation. Club set to B1, with Surefit CG weight left at neutral.

Hit it off the first tee.....pure draw right down the center, and long. Couple of holes later, Par 5, about 270 to the green and pured it off the deck about 25 yards short of the green. No issue elevating this club off the deck.

Used it off the tee on a few more holes, and off the deck once more. All very good shots, great trajectory, and my sense on the course was this club was definitely longer than my F3, and even felt better than the F3.

Great club, and my TS3 9.5 degree driver with Tensei elicited a similar sense that my 917’s will be moving permanently to the staffbag that sits in my office and holds a few of my old favorites!

What Driver Swing Speed do you have?

What Driver Swing Speed do you have?

Typically 98-100.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

• 1 year later...

Quick question, is the TS3 fairway head size/cc size the same for all lofts (ie. is the 18* the same cc size as the 15*)?

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

1 hour ago, ace036 said:

Quick question, is the TS3 fairway head size/cc size the same for all lofts (ie. is the 18* the same cc size as the 15*)?

No, the head sizes get smaller with every loft increase. 

With the TS3, the 13.5 and 15.0 are the same and fairly traditional, compact, round. The 16.5 is slightly smaller and the 18.0 is one of the smallest 5W heads you will find. There is no 21.0 degree in the TS3

It is a similar progression with TS2, but the club heads are less compact looking, slightly less round and more elongated head and less of a dramatic difference between higher and lower lofts in terms of size. And TS2 adds a 7W (21.0).

I originally played TS3 15.0 and 18.0 but found the 18.0 to be too small for my eye. Switched to TS2 in 15.0 and 21.0.

Edited by uglande
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5