2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Players Distance Irons with the Best Feel

swaldron

This thread has become very strange to me. I never asked what iron felt the best, I asked what “players iron” felt the best. Ive played with some awfully good irons that felt great, blades to be exact, so please, how about your personal experiences with players distance irons.

I think the mizuno jpx forged feel good.

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

Someone already mentioned cobra and I play cobra s2 forged , which I think were one of the first players irons. Forged, but stronger lofts and forgiving.

At the time they were a misfit, but now there's a whole segment of players distance irons (check out golf digest hot list). I've played Mizuno and when I hit the cobras right, they feel almost as good.

Player's distance iron as I see them;

- smaller or more compact clubhead size

- less offset

- thin-ish top line

- thin to mid sole width

- stronger lofts with larger gaps in loft in the short clubs due to low CG

I play the MP18 MMC's. To my eye and for my game they are ideal.

https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-comparison-table/

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

... LOL, what exactly is a "proper cavity back".

Since I mentioned the player's distance irons, which is exactly what Ping calls their G700, along with the TM P790, both of which have blade-like appearance while being HOLLOW and foam (or whatever) filled, I'd have thought the reader would understand what I meant.

I'd have thought you might have gotten the "proper cavity back" would, in THIS context, be one where you can SEE the cavity.

Sorry for (apparently) not being clear enough. ;)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Out of all the players distance irons, which set feel the best to you?

This thread has become very strange to me. I never asked what iron felt the best, I asked what "players iron" felt the best. Ive played with some awfully good irons that felt great, blades to be exact, so please, how about your personal experiences with players distance irons.

Your thread heading is "Players Distance Irons with the Best Feel"

You didn't define a "player's distance iron" nor have you even mentioned any you considered as such.

So what did you expect to happen ? People suggested irons that they consider "player's distance irons" and feel the best to them.

And now you're saying you don't like their suggestions ? And STILL haven't told us what you consider "player's distance irons" ? :blink:

Enjoy your thread. Hope you get what you're looking for. ;)

Titleist Pro V1X

Semantics, semantics, and more semantics...

I've been looking for a new "better player's" iron set and tested quite a few. IMO, the Mizuno mp-sc/mmc, jpx 900 forged, and Srixon 765/565 all felt great. (Rumor has it the new 919's and 785/585's are also great.) All are forged and all are a degree or two stronger in the mid-long irons. They go high, straight, and far--all while feeling great off the face. That's the dream isn't it? Lol.

This thread has become very strange to me. I never asked what iron felt the best, I asked what "players iron" felt the best. Ive played with some awfully good irons that felt great, blades to be exact, so please, how about your personal experiences with players distance irons.

You didn't define a "player's distance iron" nor have you even mentioned any you considered as such.

So what did you expect to happen ? People suggested irons that they consider "player's distance irons" and feel the best to them.

And now you're saying you don't like their suggestions ? And STILL haven't told us what you consider "player's distance irons" ? :blink:

If you read all the responses you’ll see why I said it’s gotten strange

I really don’t understand the need for your condescending tone

• Like 1

Since I picked up the MP15 and MP25 sets, I've noticed an increase by about 15-20 yds through my irons. Odd thing is the lofts are the same as my ACPs and MP4s. Hey, maybe I'm just swinging better?!?! Have to go play the others and see.

BTW, they all feel good.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

If you read all the responses you'll see why I said it's gotten strange

I really don't understand the need for your condescending tone

There's nothing condescending about my tone. I can't help how you read it.

I read all the responses. It hasn't "gotten strange". You didn't specify what you wanted information on,,,,,,,,,, so it goes how it goes,,,,,,,,,,,,, other posters aren't mind readers.

And even now that you have an idea why you're getting "strange responses" you STILL haven't told us what you're looking for.

Titleist Pro V1X

Well “NXS Guy” your tone is quite condescending

As far as specifying what I wanted, I asked for players irons with the best feel, which is pretty easy to understand. The posters don’t have to be mind readers to understand that. Also, there’s no need to define a players distance iron since the posters who responded without trying to start an argument, like you, gave me their opinions. Not once did I say I didn’t like their suggestions. If you don’t have anything constructive to add, then don’t make such a confrontational post. And I have gotten what I’m looking for.

Sure, it's just a club with the loft of a longer club (7 iron with a 6 iron loft) but also is the length of a 7 iron and I'm spoiled and want new clubs

Isn't that what this site is all about?

80% of the time, yes, but it seems you've been unfortunate enough to get one of that 20% of threads filled with condescending, buzzkilling, bladier-than-thou tossports.

Okay, allow me to restate from a more fact-based perspective.

Today's long, forgiving irons are constructed in such a way that they're not going to "feel" great whether hit on the heel, the toe or the sweet spot. They have large, consistently thin faces that are attached around their perimeter to hollow exoskeletons. The very best feedback they're going to provide is a sense of nothingness, which is the golfer's signal that they hit the ball squarely in the middle of the face. Unless you hit the ball with the outer edge of the face, you will be relying on the flight of the ball for your feedback.

All of this is FINE! There's no judgement on my part. A huge number of players are happy with irons that provide that experience. But the construction that provides maximum distance and forgiveness is the opposite of the construction that provides great feel. When someone says "I want forgiving irons with great feel," they might as well be saying "I want a pet unicorn."

Great feeling irons have their mass more behind the sweet spot. The sweet feeling comes from matching up that mass to the golf ball. There's no way to replicate that feel using a construction that has the mass distributed around the perimeter of the club.

... While this may be your experience, it is not others so it is subjective, not fact based. Of course a solid forged MB or even players iron with added mass behind the center will produce more of that sweet feel than a P790. But that doesn't mean that P790's are "forgiving irons are constructed in such a way that they're not going to "feel" great whether hit on the heel, the toe or the sweet spot." Those of us with better feel can most definitely tell instantly if we miss the center by a little, let alone out on the toe. Yes dead center has a nothing feel, very similar to the nothing feel I experienced with every MB I ever played, although admittedly not as sweet or dense. And I agree and would not describe my P790's as having the "great feel" of my solid forged 737's or MP63's but for me they produce a "good feel". As always with every iron ever designed, there are trade offs and what you play depends on what kind of trade offs every golfer is willing to make.

You took the words right out of my keyboard. :taunt:

Of all things "golf", perhaps the most subjective term of all is "feel".

I've described the "feel" of a well struck golf shot as a feel of "nothing". The club, head and shaft don't vibrate, don't twist, do nothing at all but go sweetly through the ball. That is a great feeling.

However, that "feel" of nothingness isn't universal,,,,,,,,,,, and those G700s and P790s do NOT "feel" the same as a proper cavity back iron (to ME).

I guess, net-net, to ME, the difference is in a "proper cavity back" iron I can still tell, 90% of the time, where on the face I've hit the ball. With the others (G700, P790), I often can't. :dntknw:

Are feel and sound interchangeable?

how does everyone account for 100's of pga players using every type if club from blades to Ap2's, to JPx T's to ping cavity backs....all hitting the same distances?

What do you mean?

And comparing your average golfer (even the average WRXer) is a pretty bad idea when it comes to guys on tour.

yea, but Golf WRX'ers are all hitting it 300, backing up their shots 30 feet and they all know how much spin they get on each shot out on the course.....lol...this isn't your average player!! ;)

I’ve been club hoeing like crazy for the past year, everything from P790’s, JPX 900 Forged, Apex CF 16’s, Cobra Forged Tec Blacks, AP2’s, Ping i210’s(recently sold) and these C300 Forged irons are by far the smoothest, best feeling, most accurate irons I’ve ever had. The feel is absolutely spectacular.

• Like 1

I'm still confused on what gets classified as a players distance iron. Is the AP3 really a players iron? What is a player's iron? What does a horse shoe do? Are there any horse socks? Is anybody listening to me?

https://www.golfdige...-distance-irons

That list is a pretty good summary. Not sure I'd put i200 nor JPX900/919 Forged on the list though because those clubs don't have much in the way of an active face. I would put the Callaway Apex in that category too. At any rate, I think the "players distance" category is defined by smallish clubs that have a spring face.

A spring face in conjunction with a CG position and lofts that flight the ball high with slightly reduced spin will add distance. Some traditionalists say the added distance is all smoke and mirrors but whatever. The distance is real and it helps a lot of people.

Regarding the "best feel" I think you will have to look towards something like the 790 because that foam stuff on the inside kills vibration without messing up the spring effect of the face. The PXG foam, on the gen 1 irons anyway, kills the spring effect, and while they also feel good (maybe best) the distance may not be as good as the best spring effect irons. Sound is linked to feel and frankly, I think the club makers have some room for advancement in that area moving forward since many of these spring face irons sound clicky at present. Hopefully that will improve in the future though. I've been playing spring face irons for the last few years now and some sets are just plain annoying (to me) because of the sound on off center strikes, which brings out the worst in the sound. The Hot Metal's are best sounding spring face irons I've used, but clearly these are not "players" clubs. Applying the same tech in a smaller package may be a winner though...if Mizuno ever chooses to do such a thing.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Apex pro

I wouldn't have considered the a distance iron. Until I hit them yesterday that is. They seem to be a club longer than my Srixons, which were no slouch in the distance category. All of the irons I've got from the last 4-5 years seem to go too far compared to the 2009 x forged and Ping i25's I played leading up to last season.

I picked up a set of MP15's that seemed to go at least a club further then switched to Z965's hoping a blade would give me more consistent distance. I found I had as hard a time with gapping as I did with the MP15's. I decided to pick up some Apex Pro's to see if a little added forgiveness would help my game. While they are definitely more forgiving while maintaining that sweet forged feel, they are even longer yet.

In short, it feels like all irons are distance irons these days. Didn't seem to be the case 6+ years ago.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Not sure if you'd categorize them as distance irons unless you go "power spec," but Ping i200 & i210s feel really nice, are very forgiving, look great at address and in the bag, and the soles go through the turf nicely. Very nice "player's irons" and used by several on the pro tours.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Well “NXS Guy” your tone is quite condescending

As far as specifying what I wanted, I asked for players irons with the best feel, which is pretty easy to understand. The posters don’t have to be mind readers to understand that. Also, there’s no need to define a players distance iron since the posters who responded without trying to start an argument, like you, gave me their opinions. Not once did I say I didn’t like their suggestions. If you don’t have anything constructive to add, then don’t make such a confrontational post. And I have gotten what I’m looking for.

Decision made? What conclusion did you come to? If money isn't an issue or you have heroes program access, I'd go PXG...

Okay, allow me to restate from a more fact-based perspective.

Today's long, forgiving irons are constructed in such a way that they're not going to "feel" great whether hit on the heel, the toe or the sweet spot. They have large, consistently thin faces that are attached around their perimeter to hollow exoskeletons. The very best feedback they're going to provide is a sense of nothingness, which is the golfer's signal that they hit the ball squarely in the middle of the face. Unless you hit the ball with the outer edge of the face, you will be relying on the flight of the ball for your feedback.

All of this is FINE! There's no judgement on my part. A huge number of players are happy with irons that provide that experience. But the construction that provides maximum distance and forgiveness is the opposite of the construction that provides great feel. When someone says "I want forgiving irons with great feel," they might as well be saying "I want a pet unicorn."

Great feeling irons have their mass more behind the sweet spot. The sweet feeling comes from matching up that mass to the golf ball. There's no way to replicate that feel using a construction that has the mass distributed around the perimeter of the club.

... While this may be your experience, it is not others so it is subjective, not fact based. Of course a solid forged MB or even players iron with added mass behind the center will produce more of that sweet feel than a P790. But that doesn't mean that P790's are "forgiving irons are constructed in such a way that they're not going to "feel" great whether hit on the heel, the toe or the sweet spot." Those of us with better feel can most definitely tell instantly if we miss the center by a little, let alone out on the toe. Yes dead center has a nothing feel, very similar to the nothing feel I experienced with every MB I ever played, although admittedly not as sweet or dense. And I agree and would not describe my P790's as having the "great feel" of my solid forged 737's or MP63's but for me they produce a "good feel". As always with every iron ever designed, there are trade offs and what you play depends on what kind of trade offs every golfer is willing to make.

You took the words right out of my keyboard. :taunt:

Of all things "golf", perhaps the most subjective term of all is "feel".

I've described the "feel" of a well struck golf shot as a feel of "nothing". The club, head and shaft don't vibrate, don't twist, do nothing at all but go sweetly through the ball. That is a great feeling.

However, that "feel" of nothingness isn't universal,,,,,,,,,,, and those G700s and P790s do NOT "feel" the same as a proper cavity back iron (to ME).

I guess, net-net, to ME, the difference is in a "proper cavity back" iron I can still tell, 90% of the time, where on the face I've hit the ball. With the others (G700, P790), I often can't. :dntknw:

Are feel and sound interchangeable?

IMO, no. But I think they do "complement" each other a little bit.

Titleist Pro V1X

Srixon's are solid. Traditional forging but longer than a lot out there. The lofts are slightly stronger and thanks to the sole grind you can hit just a shade heavy and still get nearly the full distance out of the club....plus they feel great as well.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego