Players Distance Irons with the Best Feel

swaldron

Had another go last week to see what was out there to maybe replace my apex cf16s, end conclusion, another set of cf16s with another shaft!

900 forged are nice, but not great ball height for me, so less stop than the apex, 790s didn't feel that nice, epic was the same, similar with ping and so on.

As for the comment about not feeling the ball, it's the same for me, but that's on good hits, i love the apex as i know when i have hit the toe, or slightly low on the face, the feel is quite big on those low ones, even if it's just one groove low.

Had another go last week to see what was out there to maybe replace my apex cf16s, end conclusion, another set of cf16s with another shaft!

900 forged are nice, but not great ball height for me, so less stop than the apex, 790s didn't feel that nice, epic was the same, similar with ping and so on.

As for the comment about not feeling the ball, it's the same for me, but that's on good hits, i love the apex as i know when i have hit the toe, or slightly low on the face, the feel is quite big on those low ones, even if it's just one groove low.

If it was only that easy to stop looking when you find something you like. I keep coming back to the same set after trying over 5 different irons. Good to hear positive reviews of the Apex CF.

Now I know these have been getting a lot of negative hate on this site, but I love my new AP3's. Now just a little bit of background, my last set of irons were the 690 CB's. Sure I loved the feel of the CB's but if I am being honest with myself they were hurting me at times. I gamed them for about 10 years and loved them. I decided I wanted an iron with a little bit of forgiveness but I still wanted it to look good. I think the AP3's look fantastic. Little bigger but for me its the right amount to make it look inviting. The toppling is thin and at address they look great to me. The feel on center strikes is fantastic. I think in the center they feel just as good as the CB's did. On off center hits they feel different from the CB's. Im not sure how to describe it. Its not horrible but its not good. It feels like a bad shot. The CB's didn't exactly feel great off center either. The interesting thing is the forgiveness on those of center shots. I find myself looking up thinking its going to be terrible but still catching a piece of the green. To me the AP3's still provide feedback on the quality of the strike, feel great on good strikes, and perform well on poor strikes even thought they "feel" worse. I am not upset with the transition at all.

• Like 1

I see the U85 go all the way up to a 6 iron now. My 2 and 3 iron utility in the U45 series is still just as long what is available today because of my upgrade shafts. Feel and control is superb.

My 900 Tours are a few yards longer than any current iron loft for loft; but I derived that from finding the sweet spot more often.

I agree with Lefty96. I just shot my lowest round in 10 years with my AP3s a few days ago. I'm hitting more greens than ever and even my mishits turn out better than expected. They feel / sound very close to forged. The difference is negligible.

Titleist TSi2 10
Titleist 917F 16.5 
Titleist 917F 21 
Titleist 718 AP3 4-48 
Titleist Vokey SM7 52 
Titleist Vokey SM7 58 
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 / Special Select Squareback 2

Exactly. I just shot my lowest round in 10 years with my AP3s a few days ago. I'm hitting more greens than ever and even my mishits turn out better than expected.
Love the AP3 in the 4/5 in my bag. Absolutely fantastic! Get the ball up easy and they go a long way. I've got the AP2' 6-PW so I can't comment on those.
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

> @Lefty96 said:

> Now I know these have been getting a lot of negative hate on this site, but I love my new AP3's. Now just a little bit of background, my last set of irons were the 690 CB's. Sure I loved the feel of the CB's but if I am being honest with myself they were hurting me at times. I gamed them for about 10 years and loved them. I decided I wanted an iron with a little bit of forgiveness but I still wanted it to look good. I think the AP3's look fantastic. Little bigger but for me its the right amount to make it look inviting. The toppling is thin and at address they look great to me. The feel on center strikes is fantastic. I think in the center they feel just as good as the CB's did. On off center hits they feel different from the CB's. Im not sure how to describe it. Its not horrible but its not good. It feels like a bad shot. The CB's didn't exactly feel great off center either. The interesting thing is the forgiveness on those of center shots. I find myself looking up thinking its going to be terrible but still catching a piece of the green. To me the AP3's still provide feedback on the quality of the strike, feel great on good strikes, and perform well on poor strikes even thought they "feel" worse. I am not upset with the transition at all.

Old post, but totally agree here.. same with my HM Pros. Forgiveness is outstanding, but still feel when I haven't flushed it. I don't need a bad feeling strike to have a bad end result just so they match! I love having a decent to same end result on off center strikes as center strikes.. what's not to love there?

Ping G400 SF Tec 9* - Mitsubishi C6 Blue Shaft - Stiff @ 45.25"
Ping G 3w SFT @ 16* - Ping Alta CB - Stiff 
Ping G400 19* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Ping G400 22* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Ping G400 26* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Mizuno  919 Hot Metal Pro 6i-GW, Recoil 95 F3 
Mizuno S18 Wedges in 55* and 60*, Recoil F3
Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

3 cap. I500s through 3i. Love. When you catch it pure, and hit down on them, it feels pretty solid to me. I think when you tee it up and catch it center face (both vertical and horizontal) if feels a little "nothing". But that's always been PING. When you catch one pure, all of them I've hit you feel very little, just a pure strike. When you miss, it doesn't penalize you too much but you at least know where you caught it because it's a very distinct feel.

I've said it before. These aren't "that" fogiving. Forgiving for a player that already hits the ball well, sure...but not some magical long easy to launch iron. Go get the G700 for that. These are workable, flight able, and I get two clubs per (normal spec) over my S 55. And I don't find them to be much less good feeling than those. Now, that toe hit? The noise it makes is pretty abrupt and very clickly. So don't hit it out there again.

• Like 1

PING G425 LST 10* Fuji XLR8 51

PING G425 Max 5Wd 16.5* Fuji XLR8 61

PING G425 Max 7Wd 20* Fuji Motore F3 70

PING i500 3i KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING i59 4-PW KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

Edel 47* DVR/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING Vault Anser 2

I have played Callaway Apex CF16 for several years now and they are a great feeling distance players iron. I got the itch for new irons and tried the Taylormade P790's for a few months and just didn't get along with them. I think the sole was too wide for me. I tried something different in that I bought Callaway MB in the 8-AW and bent them 2 degree strong matching the stronger lofts of the Apex cf16 and I absolutely love them and the feel is so soft. I get the same distance as the cf16 but with much better feel. They are very forgiving for a mb. Maybe give this a try.

Taylormade M5 9 hzrdus smoke stiff
Ping G410 14.5 Ping Tour 75
Taylormade M3 19 tensei blue 65 stiff
Callaway Apex CF-16 4-6 UST Recoil 780
Callaway MB 7-AW KBS Tour 110
Taylormade HiToe 54 & 60
Taylormade Tour Red 34"
Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
Titleist ProV1 Yellow 

Titleist VG3 2018.

DR: Searching.......

FW: Taylormade SIM MaxD 16° + Tensei AV 75x @ 42 1/2".
HY: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 22° + White Tie HX4 @ 40 1/2".
Irons: Taylormade R9 Forged 5i-PW + Quadra 100i Pro x.
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 52°/56°/60° + C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

Even though it is a large head design I think Mizuno's MP5 fit the criteria of "players iron", and its impact sound (feel) was definitely pleasing. Compared to a smaller head such as the MP4, the MP5 offers some distance forgiveness as well.

The large head distance irons from companies like Ping and TM sound harsh when mishit, but pure strikes have a pleasing impact sound/feel.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Srixon feel incredible. Just the best.

Cobra black Forged tech look and perform better. Just enough better. It’s as if they are 685s, if those were to exist. They sit just between the 585s and 785s. Don’t feel quite as good, but perform.

Radspeed 10.5* Pro White 1K 60X

SIM2 15* Diamana DF 70X
SLDR 19* Speeder Tour Spec HB 8.8X
JPX-921F (4-P) Modus3 105X
Vokey 50F, 54S, 58S Modus3 120X
Cameron 009M 1.5 

Try the mp-20 hmb.. pretty nice.

Driver: For now. Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5 w/GD AD-TP6X   3wd: Titleist TS2 15 w/ Atmos Black 8s Tour Spec Tour Stiff Hybrid: Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100 w/ Nippon Super Peening Orange HSx1  Wedges: Miura Tour 55, 59 w/ Nippon 125 Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

> @swaldron said:

> So Ive heard players don’t focus on distance and marketing at its finest.

>

> Personally, my handicap is 4

>

> Am I player, I don’t really know

>

> Am I looking for more distance, absolutely

>

> Being able to hit one club less into holes would be great

But if that club is an inch and a half longer and 4 degrees stronger than your current set, is it really one club less?