2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

PGA TOUR announces changes that will further fan engagement, understanding and drama of FedExCup

golfnoob25

Link: https://www.pgatour.com/company/2018/090/18/pga-tour-changes-fedexcup-playoffs.html?utm_medium=OrganicApp_Promotion&utm_campaign=18_PGATDigital_PGATApp&utm_source=PGATDigital&utm_placement=InApp_AppUsers&utm_content=PushNotif

Instead of a points reset at East Lake Golf Club in Atlanta, beginning with the 2018-19 event the TOUR is instituting a strokes-based bonus system related to the FedExCup standings through the BMW Championship. The FedExCup points leader after the first two Playoffs events will begin the TOUR Championship at 10-under par. The next four players will start at 8-under through 5-under, respectively. The next five will begin at 4-under, regressing by one stroke per five players until those ranked Nos. 26-30 start at even par.

Meanwhile, the new $10 million Wyndham Rewards Top 10 not only will add drama to the Wyndham Championship as the final event before the FedExCup Playoffs but will also put an even greater premium on excelling over the course of the FedExCup Regular Season. The top-10 Regular Season finishers in FedExCup points through the Wyndham Championship – also sponsored by Wyndham Rewards – will reap the benefits of the Wyndham Rewards Top 10. The leader will earn $2 million, followed by $1.5 million for the runner-up with the 10th-place finisher earning $500,000. Additionally, each player in the top 10 will be invited into Wyndham Rewards at its most exclusive Diamond level, unlocking all the travel perks and unique Wyndham benefits that go along with it.

In addition to the $10 million Wyndham Rewards Top 10, the existing FedExCup bonus pool will increase by $25 million, to $60 million. The FedExCup Champion will receive $15 million, versus the $10 million prize from previous years

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link: https://www.pgatour....ntent=PushNotif

Instead of a points reset at East Lake Golf Club in Atlanta, beginning with the 2018-19 event the TOUR is instituting a strokes-based bonus system related to the FedExCup standings through the BMW Championship. The FedExCup points leader after the first two Playoffs events will begin the TOUR Championship at 10-under par. The next four players will start at 8-under through 5-under, respectively. The next five will begin at 4-under, regressing by one stroke per five players until those ranked Nos. 26-30 start at even par.

tenor.gif

I'm ok with using strokes to keep track of the Fedex Cup leaders. The points were tricky to follow and predict, and made the broadcasts awkward.

The rest of it...

Wyndham has kicked in another $10M to convince some of the good players to play in their 4A tournament.

Playing the best over the entire regular season is worth $2M.

Playing the best over the 3 playoff events (and mostly just the TC) is worth $15M.

I can see why the players voted for it, but it is gimmicky.

I understand that maybe when you are playing competitive golf, you give people some strokes based on handicaps, or maybe playing a friendly wager and strokes are given out. But there has to be a better way than doing this in my opinion. I dont know what the better way is. Only thing I can say is I am glad there will not longer be a "if he makes this putt, he is projected in this position. and if player Y and Z don't birdie this hole, they could fall ans player X could come in and win" the points are a little confusing, so this will eliminate that. but I kind of like that ANYONE can win in the current system, the chances of someone in the 20th position winning now feels so slim. They could shoot -15 and dominate, and end up losing to someone that shoots -6.

I'm ok with using strokes to keep track of the Fedex Cup leaders. The points were tricky to follow and predict, and made the broadcasts awkward.

The rest of it...

Wyndham has kicked in another $10M to convince some of the good players to play in their 4A tournament.

Playing the best over the 3 playoff events (and mostly just the TC) is worth $15M.

Wrong...

If you play well enough throughout the whole season, you can get a 10 stroke lead in the race for $15M... Playing well throughout the season well help golfers win the TC now.

Its an abomination but given the increase in money I doubt any players will comment on how stupid it is. Fans accept that you can't have a true playoff style series in golf unless its head 2 head matchplay plus all the information is on your TV screen you don't need to work it out.

No way can this event count for OWGR with its handicap.

The FedEx Cup is now running golf.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

The rest of it...

Wrong...

If you play well enough throughout the whole season, you can get a 10 stroke lead in the race for $15M... Playing well throughout the season well help golfers win the TC now.

Nope. You get a 2 stroke lead.

I love the idea. In the past, players had skipped playoff events and still won the FedEx Cup and had wrapped up the Cup before the last event. Can you imagine the Superbowl champion being determined before the game was played or the Patriots deciding to skip their first round of the playoffs and still winning the Superbowl?

So, they are effectively scrapping a 31 year old tournament with a great history... The Tour Champion will no longer be the person who shoots the lowest score of the week.

Worst idea since 'Live Under Par'

The PGA Tour has an incredible product which should be impossible to f-up but they are seriously trying.

PXG Gen 2 X MCA Diamana BF
Callaway Epic 15* GD AD I
Callaway Epic Hybrid 20* GD AD I
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged/ Hot Metal Combo 5-9
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/54/58
Scotty Cameron Circa 5
Bridgestone BX

I love the idea. In the past, players had skipped playoff events and still won the FedEx Cup and had wrapped up the Cup before the last event. Can you imagine the Superbowl champion being determined before the game was played or the Patriots deciding to skip their first round of the playoffs and still winning the Superbowl?

Can you imagine, say the Broncos starting down 21-0 against the Bears in the Super Bowl?

Okay, I'd enjoy that, but still . . .

For me the expectation or comparison to playoffs in other sports in part of the problem, you can't have a "genuine" playoffs series in strokeplay golf.

Its a dilemma and I do understand where they are coming from but the handicap compromises the legitimacy of the Tour Championship as a golf tournament.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

They basically have a 1st round bye every year. They never are in the wild card game and have won 5 Super Bowls.. playing well in the regular season helps

They need to give up on the attempt to try and copy the postseason of team sports. This isn't a team sport, come up with your own path that fits the sport and makes it compelling. I'm not sure what that is.

The NCAA went to a combined stroke/match play finals, although that is actually team based. I don't really like the use of match play there since their "regular season" is almost all stroke play events, but it certainly is compelling TV viewing.

I don't have the answer here, but this isn't it.

For me the expectation or comparison to playoffs in other sports in part of the problem, you can't have a "genuine" playoffs series in strokeplay golf.

Its a dilemma and I do understand where they are coming from but the handicap compromises the legitimacy of the Tour Championship as a golf tournament.

Pretty sure there's still going to be a TC tournament winner. That guy gets a cheque, an official win, exemptions, etc. Might not be the same guy as the Fedex Cup winner, but that scenario happened with the current system too.

It’s funny, I see thread after thread of how the PGA tour should try different things like the Euro Tour, and when they do, everyone loses their mind. Just lol.

At least now everyone will know what the hell is going on.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

unless the FedEx cup leader is Smylie Kaufman there is no freaking way anyone from behind can win after spotting 10 strokes!! doesn't make any sense.

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

Pretty sure there's still going to be a TC tournament winner. That guy gets a cheque, an official win, exemptions, etc. Might not be the same guy as the Fedex Cup winner, but that scenario happened with the current system too.

Pretty sure the purpose of the handicap is so there is one (and the same) winner of both the final event, Tour Championship, and the FedEx Cup. Winner takes all - everything.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

All it is really doing is making it easier to follow who wins the FedEx Cup(if that matters to people is another story). They are resetting the points via strokes and ensuring that whoever wins the TC wins the FedEx cup. I pray they don’t try to do “if this were next year” coverage during this year’s broadcast.

Pretty sure the purpose of the handicap is so there is one (and the same) winner of both the final event, Tour Championship, and the FedEx Cup. Winner takes all - everything.

I take it back... looks like you're right:

With the implementation of this change, the player with the lowest total score will be the FedExCup Champion and be credited with an official victory in the TOUR Championship competition.

I can't believe they're actually going through with that nonsense. It sounded like such an absurd rumor. Giving the leader a 10 stroke advantage on the field?! How is that fair in any sense of the word? Why is the PGA so hung up on making sure the Tour Championship winner also wins the FedEx Cup? Am I the only one that doesn't care if the two trophies go to two different people?!

What if players "protest" this new change by refusing to play/enter the playoff events next year?