2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

PGA TOUR announces changes that will further fan engagement, understanding and drama of FedExCup

golfnoob25

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really disappointed in the changes. no one wants to see guys given a head start or someone outplaying others in the final week but coming up short because of some arbitrarily set stroke lead.

Speak for yourself. I think its a cool change and will head an interesting aspect to that ONE tournament. Down 4 strokes going in? Better go for birdies. Don't have time to waste around making pars.

It's one tournament a year thats not 72 hole of the same old. People fearing change, shocker!

PGA Tour meeting: "Okay guys, ....somehow we have a buttload of cash laying around. Here's the plan!"

"Oh, and we were drunk as all he// when we came up with this plan!"

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

Besides the PGA themselves, who cares if the winner of the Tour Championship doesn't with the FedEx Cup? Does any single player or fan care? Or is it just what the PGA Tour assumes people think?

I don’t think anybody cares even if the FEC and TC winner are the same. The players probably care about winning the bonus and fans like a full field with the biggest names but at the end of the day no one really gives a crap about who the tour champion or FEC champ is. In my book it’s far less meaningful than the majors and players and less important than player of the Year.

I’d rank it about as important as Dechampaeu or Bubba’s season. Nice work but at the end of the day pretty forgettable years from now.

Well, the good news about the changes is I will have even more of a reason to just watch football on those weekends instead of the golf.

Actually, the 2019 Tour Championship will be played on August 22-25.

Yep, realized that after I typed that out and didn't think to go back and edit. Oh well, still don't know if I care to watch given that's prime golf season here in the upper midwest.

I like an accumalative score over the playoffs determining the fedex winner and still have the possibility for someone else to win each tournament. It would make more sense to me to let the regular season winners start a bit ahead on this list or give a chunk of the money based on reg season position.

A cumulative score to par over the three tournaments would make the most sense, but it appears they really want the winner of East Lake to be crowned the champion.

And just think if you were the Winner. If your a competitive person like all pros should be then I don't want no damn strokes given to me starting off the tournament

So if the tour de france champion doesn't have the fastest time in the last stage, he doenst feel like the winner of a month long race?

Cricket is starting to sound pretty good.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

I don't like this idea at all. It's geared towards the casual fan that may watch a couple events a year.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
3 wood: Titleist TSR2

7 wood: Ping G430 max

Utility iron: Callaway Apex ut

4 Hybrid: Callaway Paradym
Irons: Titleist T100 4-pw 
Wedges: Vokey sm9 50*, 54*, 60*
Putters: TaylorMade Spider X

Odyssey AI-ONE 7S

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

And just think if you were the Winner. If your a competitive person like all pros should be then I don't want no damn strokes given to me starting off the tournament

So if the tour de france champion doesn't have the fastest time in the last stage, he doenst feel like the winner of a month long race?

This would be relevant if the playoff scores were cumulative...which would have been a better idea than what they’re trying to do here.

Right

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

thought we were talking about golf not dudes wearing spandex riding a bike

May be in the minority but I like it. It was always a tough balancing act between rewarding the guys who have excelled all year and configuring Eastlake so that any player could theoretically win the FEC.

Starting with a handicap of strokes makes it a lot simpler than having to break out the abacus to figure out a player's chances.

The main thing I hate about it is that it's gonna count as an official win. Other than that the win percentages by position are pretty much identical to what they are now based on start position and it will be easier to understand who's gonna win the actual playoffs.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Link: https://www.pgatour....ntent=PushNotif

Instead of a points reset at East Lake Golf Club in Atlanta, beginning with the 2018-19 event the TOUR is instituting a strokes-based bonus system related to the FedExCup standings through the BMW Championship. The FedExCup points leader after the first two Playoffs events will begin the TOUR Championship at 10-under par. The next four players will start at 8-under through 5-under, respectively. The next five will begin at 4-under, regressing by one stroke per five players until those ranked Nos. 26-30 start at even par.

Meanwhile, the new $10 million Wyndham Rewards Top 10 not only will add drama to the Wyndham Championship as the final event before the FedExCup Playoffs but will also put an even greater premium on excelling over the course of the FedExCup Regular Season. The top-10 Regular Season finishers in FedExCup points through the Wyndham Championship – also sponsored by Wyndham Rewards – will reap the benefits of the Wyndham Rewards Top 10. The leader will earn $2 million, followed by $1.5 million for the runner-up with the 10th-place finisher earning $500,000. Additionally, each player in the top 10 will be invited into Wyndham Rewards at its most exclusive Diamond level, unlocking all the travel perks and unique Wyndham benefits that go along with it.

In addition to the $10 million Wyndham Rewards Top 10, the existing FedExCup bonus pool will increase by $25 million, to $60 million. The FedExCup Champion will receive $15 million, versus the $10 million prize from previous years

why don't they just make the last tourney match play..... that way u get a clear champion....

It annoys me more than it should that they've put an extra $5m into this, basically forcing the Tour players to like it. Putting more and more money into tournaments that I don't care for. Uncomfortable with that amount of money for any tournament, hate the way FedEx are trying to buy their way into golf history.

The question that leaves me with then, is what is the point in the FedEx Cup? It didn't achieve anything beyond making a bunch of rich guys even richer and the winner of the so called playoffs even with another rejig of the format could still be the guy that got hot at the right time as opposed to the guy that was the best player over the season.

This is the crux of the problem. Nobody can relate to a multi-millionaire winning many millions. It's 30 of the most successful players of the year (you have to have earned a couple million to be in the Tour Championship anyway), playing to earn enough money for an even bigger mansion. There's nothing to it, soulless stuff.

The following week, there's no prize money for the Ryder Cup, and everybody cares about that. Because winning a cup as a team is priceless. Green jacket is priceless. To win your national Open is priceless. Claret Jug is priceless. These are the things people care about and relate to. FedEx Cup will never have that.

I don't disagree with you, but it is easy to see why the majority of players are in favour of a system like this.

There's just a handful of guys who could reasonably expect to win a legit season-long race. There's a lot more guys who could get hot at the right time and do just enough to take the $15M.

I dont think the players really give one rip about the dumb playoffs or the actual details behind some new ridiculous Tour Championship scoring method?

Here's how that conversation probably went:

Tour: "Hey guys, so we need your approval on the new playoff system. So first, the winner is going to get $15M instead of $10M, second...."

Players: "We're in."

Tour: "But we haven't told you about the new scoring system?"

Players: (have already left the room)

I thought pretty much the same thing (although I had the players leaving a little faster)

They all know that any one of them can get hot for 4 days, and if they do they win a big prize.

So now one of them wins an even bigger prize!! (and the rest all get a bigger prize too)

Win-win, unanimous vote for "did you say more money?"

Just because so many on WRX hate it probably means it's a great idea.

Go check out all the replies to PGA Tour's Twitter account? Seems to be 100% disapproval rating from golf fans.

LOL, Twitter.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Why are people saying it’s handicapped? Pretty sure handicap doesn’t give the best player strokes, especially 10 of them

The lead player doesn’t necessarily mean best. And anytime someone is given strokes In this game it’s handicapped. Even if it is giving the lead guy shots. Terrible idea.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Doesn’t he start based on his previous days finish and so on ? Only way he doesn’t have the fastest time is if he started the stage first. In hat case he earned that. Giving 10 shots to the leader is not the same thing unless he finishes 10 ahead of everyone in the next to last tournament. Good grief.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Why are people saying it’s handicapped? Pretty sure handicap doesn’t give the best player strokes, especially 10 of them

The lead player doesn’t necessarily mean best. And anytime someone is given strokes In this game it’s handicapped. Even if it is giving the lead guy shots. Terrible idea.

Handicap in golf is allowing players of different proficiency to play against each other on somewhat equal terms. Giving the best player according to fedex rankings doesn’t make it equal terns, in fact got opposite