Taylormade M5 & M6 Woods - Pics added page 46

chadillac65

I've hit the M6 5 wood at a fitter on a GCQuad and put it up against the M4 and the numbers are nearly identical for me. The biggest difference is the new matte carbon finish on the M6 versus the gloss on the M4. Carry distances were pretty much the same at 225-230 and pretty much the same as my M2. I actually have slightly better ball speed with the M2, but that still didn't stop me from almost picking up an M6, but I will probably game my M2's until December when TM will probably come out with an M7 and M8.

I think we need to be careful with the Rick shiels comparison on launch monitors. Check out peter finch’s driver testing with Titleist plus a more recent update comparing shafts.

Same ball speed as rick’s with same distance results

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5. @ 45.5”

Driver Shafts: Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX & MCA Kai’Li White 70X

Mizuno ST Max 230 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.5 @ 45.25”
ON ORDER: Mizuno ST Max 230 15.0 Mitsubishi Rayon Kai’Li Blue 70X

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 19.0 @ 17.0 UST Lin-Q Blue 75 F5

ON ORDER: Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S & 58/4X Nippon Modus Pro 120X

🤔 Titleist Vokey SM9 60 K Grind 

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

I think we need to be careful with the Rick shiels comparison on launch monitors. Check out peter finch’s driver testing with Titleist plus a more recent update comparing shafts.

Same ball speed as rick’s with same distance results

. They also use the same launch monitor since they both work at the same place.

For those who have had some time with both M3 and M5, how would you describe the difference in sound/feel between the 2 heads?

The M5 feels better and sounds better - no question. Feels just a bit softer and sounds softer as well. I love the M3 and its still in the bag but the M5 is definitely an improvement.

FWIW Morning Drive is running some clips of JT and Tiger from Riviera. Ballspeeds of 179-182 for carries of around 290 yards.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

For those who have had some time with both M3 and M5, how would you describe the difference in sound/feel between the 2 heads?

The M5 feels better and sounds better - no question. Feels just a bit softer and sounds softer as well. I love the M3 and its still in the bag but the M5 is definitely an improvement.

FWIW Morning Drive is running some clips of JT and Tiger from Riviera. Ballspeeds of 179-182 for carries of around 290 yards.

Turned it in but don’t see?

It ran @ 815 a when they were talking about Riviera. It may have re-run if they re-do the same hour long show?

Tiger 174 ball speed, carry 287, apex 127.

JT 179 ball speed, carry 298, apex 93.

I guess these are all, take them for what they're worth, no launch monitor is perfect, its only TV, these guys are pros, the numbers arent exact - etc etc etc. Fine. I agree with you. No arguments. But these are also a far cry from 158 ballspeed / 289 carry.

Sorry I didn't mean to derail the thread too much but I thought it was pertinent to talk about given my experience testing the M3 against the M5. I dont want people to see those M5 numbers and be disappointed when they take it out on the course.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

In the Chicago offseason, I spend quite a bit of time on a GCQuad launch monitor. My ballspeed is routinely in the 155-165 range and I can confirm the carry distances match up with Rick Shiels'. I have seen carry distances eclipse 300y at these ballspeeds on high launch lower spin (2200 and lower) shots. Elevation is set to neutral.

Perhaps GCQuad inflates these numbers compared to other launch monitors, however, those numbers are matched on the course via GPS.

At Riveria - JT was also claiming to be losing nearly 20 yards on his 6 iron that normally carries 200. From an ESPN article this morning:

Thomas did offer up a couple of examples of the differences. He said he normally hits a 6-iron 200 yards. On Sunday morning at Riviera, when the temperature was in the high 50s, he was hitting that club 180 yards. On the range here Tuesday morning it was 230 to 240 yards.

In the Chicago offseason, I spend quite a bit of time on a GCQuad launch monitor. My ballspeed is routinely in the 155-165 range and I can confirm the carry distances match up with Rick Shiels'. I have seen carry distances eclipse 300y at these ballspeeds on high launch lower spin (2200 and lower) shots. Elevation is set to neutral.

Perhaps GCQuad inflates these numbers compared to other launch monitors, however, those numbers are matched on the course via GPS.

At Riveria - JT was also claiming to be losing nearly 20 yards on his 6 iron that normally carries 200. From an ESPN article this morning:

Thomas did offer up a couple of examples of the differences. He said he normally hits a 6-iron 200 yards. On Sunday morning at Riviera, when the temperature was in the high 50s, he was hitting that club 180 yards. On the range here Tuesday morning it was 230 to 240 yards.

So at a 160 ball speed player when you laser a bunker at 290 with no helping wind you are thinking "I will just hit it over that bunker"?

JT was on 18 and in bright sun.

It literally defies everything I know about golf that someone can carry the ball 300 yards - on course matched with GPS - with a "155-165" ball speed. I don't care how high launch or low spin it is.

That is my ballspeed range and I will say this - I would fly anywhere in the country world, hire any coach and buy whatever golf club they were selling if they could have me hitting the ball like that on the course.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

155 to 165 and some are carrying over 300 yards? Do you have access to any other type of monitor.

I would be interested to see the results. If that is the case, how far would one be carrying the ball with 180 ball speed?

So at a 160 ball speed player when you laser a bunker at 290 with no helping wind you are thinking "I will just hit it over that bunker"?

Seems legit.

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

Lol, no way I'm a 10 handicap. But it would give me some pause to maybe hit the 4W or even the 2i.

It literally defies everything I know about golf that someone can carry the ball 300 yards - on course matched with GPS - with a "155-165" ball speed. I don't care how high launch or low spin it is.

That is my ballspeed range and I will say this - I would fly anywhere in the country world, hire any coach and buy whatever golf club they were selling if they could have me hitting the ball like that on the course.

Easy man, all I can tell you is yes... at a meager 165 ballspeed I've seen shots carry 300y on the Quad and on the course. Either the Quad juices the lower spin drives or I'm seeing these distances due to environmental factors on the course, either way, I can tell you unequivocally that it happens.

155 to 165 and some are carrying over 300 yards? Do you have access to any other type of monitor.

I would be interested to see the results. If that is the case, how far would one be carrying the ball with 180 ball speed?

No just the Quad, but that is probably the most accurate indoor monitor you can hit on. I've hit on multiple devices in the same facility, so it's not just one unit.

s*** with 180 ballspeed you routinely see the pros carrying it 330+. Depends on launch, spin, and wind/course conditions.

Lol, no way I'm a 10 handicap. But it would give me some pause to maybe hit the 4W or even the 2i.

Easy man, all I can tell you is yes... at a meager 165 ballspeed I've seen shots carry 300y on the Quad and on the course. Either the Quad juices the lower spin drives or I'm seeing these distances due to environmental factors on the course, either way, I can tell you unequivocally that it happens.

No just the Quad, but that is probably the most accurate indoor monitor you can hit on. I've hit on multiple devices in the same facility, so it's not just one unit.

s*** with 180 ballspeed you routinely see the pros carrying it 330+. Depends on launch, spin, and wind/course conditions.

What is your swing speed? My balls speed is around 160, and my carry is around 260 to 270......Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to figure a couple things out.

What is your swing speed? My balls speed is around 160, and my carry is around 260 to 270......Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to figure a couple things out.

Anywhere form 110 to 115 I'd say, although I primarily read the ballspeed off the Quad unit directly, do not get a swing speed readout on every swing unless I pulled up that info.

Definitely have to get the ballspeed up over 160 with very low spin to see anything close to 300y carry. We are talking about ideal strike/launch/spin conditions here to see these numbers.

All I'm trying to say, is my numbers hitting on the Quad almost exactly line up with Rick Shiels.

Is it possible they are juiced? Maybe, but on-course evidence seems to support Quad numbers.

Here is a comparison with Gc quad and trackman for me.

Gc quad is set to our elevation here in Calgary (3400ft)

The trackman I am not sure on the elevation settings.

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

. You should go look on the PGAtour website and look at the average carry stats and avg ball speed stats

Sadly the GCQuad can and does inflate carry on high launch/low spin drives. And GPS verified distances you claim to match are obviously total and likely included some environmental help. On a calm day, at sea level, 160 ball speed isnt carrying 290+ yards. I'm in the 160-165 range, generally a pretty low spin player and 300+ yard drives only happen with help (wind, down hill, baked fairways, etc)

Anywhere form 110 to 115 I'd say, although I primarily read the ballspeed off the Quad unit directly, do not get a swing speed readout on every swing unless I pulled up that info.

Definitely have to get the ballspeed up over 160 with very low spin to see anything close to 300y carry. We are talking about ideal strike/launch/spin conditions here to see these numbers.

All I'm trying to say, is my numbers hitting on the Quad almost exactly line up with Rick Shiels.

Is it possible they are juiced? Maybe, but on-course evidence seems to support Quad numbers.

Reason I ask is, a couple years ago, my swingspeed seldom dropped below 113 and I played to a +1. I hit the ball over 300 yards pretty often but a 300 yard carry was very very rare. Now I have dropped to just under 110. Main reason I got involved here is, I have hit on Quad twice and have had longer carry both times than I have experienced on anything else.

. You should go look on the PGAtour website and look at the average carry stats and avg ball speed stats

Sadly the GCQuad can and does inflate carry on high launch/low spin drives. And GPS verified distances you claim to match are obviously total and likely included some environmental help. On a calm day, at sea level, 160 ball speed isnt carrying 290+ yards. I'm in the 160-165 range, generally a pretty low spin player and 300+ yard drives only happen with help (wind, down hill, baked fairways, etc)

What are averages good for when we are talking about optimal distances?

I'm only claiming course-verified distances if I can see the pitch mark. Here in Chicagoland, soft and soggy fairways are the norm, very little roll if any for most of the season (except about a month out of the year). You almost always see where your drive hit if in the fairway.

Definitely could be environmental factors or the Quad inflating as I originally stated. But the fact is, I see these numbers regularly. Not hard to believe getting 300+ yards at these ballspeeds, regardless of any contributing factors.

Ok, I just came back here to read about the M5 and M6 and it seems this is now a launch monitor discussion. Can someone change the thread title? HA!!!

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM9 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

Extremely hard to believe getting 300 yard carry out of 160mph ball speeds. The PGA tour avg ball speed is 167mph which corresponds to ~275yards of carry. The guys who avg 160mph ball speeds carry it 260ish on avg. The ones who avg 300yard carry are in the top 20 of the PGA tour and are in the high 170s/low 180s in terms of ball speed

1mph ball speed ~1.8-2 yards of carry with driver

Extremely hard to believe getting 300 yard carry out of 160mph ball speeds. The PGA tour avg ball speed is 167mph which corresponds to ~275yards of carry. The guys who avg 160mph ball speeds carry it 260ish on avg. The ones who avg 300yard carry are in the top 20 of the PGA tour and are in the high 170s/low 180s in terms of ball speed

Extremely hard is not the right word, impossible is. I've got buddies in chicago that would be happy to go verify these carry yardage claims.

At 160 I'm not flying it more than 265 and I have perfect launch and spin conditions as well as 1.49-.50 smash.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Yeah I didn't want to say impossible since I don't live in Chicago, maybe Bryson has a special air density value for that area. But yeah, I'm in the same exact ball speed range (avg is 163) and I know I'm simply not carrying it that far.

I would say it's an important discussion in context of new clubs though, especially if certain new clubs result in high launch/low spin. If the GC2/Quad gives inflated numbers for those launch conditions, it may make certain clubs appear significantly longer than others, when in reality the difference might be pretty marginal.

We had another discussion a few days on this exact manner, end of the day a few extra hundred RPM doesnt result in huge carry losses.

Yeah I didn't want to say impossible since I don't live in Chicago, maybe Bryson has a special air density value for that area. But yeah, I'm in the same exact ball speed range (avg is 163) and I know I'm simply not carrying it that far.

I would say it's an important discussion in context of new clubs though, especially if certain new clubs result in high launch/low spin. If the GC2/Quad gives inflated numbers for those launch conditions, it may make certain clubs appear significantly longer than others, when in reality the difference might be pretty marginal.

We had another discussion a few days on this exact manner, end of the day a few extra hundred RPM doesnt result in huge carry losses.

Isn’t that why Trackmans are so expensive? I’ve been reading posts on here for 5+ years discounting info from things like GC Quad. I won’t do a fitting or compare clubs without a TM.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Extremely hard is not the right word, impossible is. I've got buddies in chicago that would be happy to go verify these carry yardage claims.

At 160 I'm not flying it more than 265 and I have perfect launch and spin conditions as well as 1.49-.50 smash.

You guys seem cute together.

Maybe I hit it faster than 165 on course/outdoors then? Maybe I'm discounting wind conditions more than I should? Maybe GCQuad artificially inflates #'s with low spin? All those things are certainly possible, and I've qualified that in nearly every post on this page.

No need for you two to get triggered and drag down the discussion with un-funny old man jokes. Just telling you my experiences.

I'm on GCQuad once a week and my numbers are my numbers on that machine. There's a whole thread (below) with TRACKMAN #'s as well that shows low 160s ballspeed carring 280 on average - so that would seem to back up your assessments of GCQuad #'s being inflated (although no where near 265 carry at 163BS).

http://www.golfwrx.c...omparison-data/

Maybe I hit it faster than 165 on course/outdoors then? Maybe I'm discounting wind conditions more than I should? Maybe GCQuad artificially inflates #'s with low spin? All those things are certainly possible, and I've qualified that in nearly every post on this page.

No need for you two to get triggered and drag down the discussion with un-funny old man jokes. Just telling you my experiences.

I'm on GCQuad once a week and my numbers are my numbers on that machine. There's a whole thread (below) with TRACKMAN #'s as well that shows low 160s ballspeed carring 280 on average - so that would seem to back up your assessments of GCQuad #'s being inflated (although no where near 265 carry at 163BS).

I have no clue if #s are inflated or not but I think the part being missed is he hit all 3 drivers same day on same machine and look at the results. Either they are all juiced or they are all not juiced but the difference is there between the 3 for him.

lol...two people agree that GC2 numbers are inflated (and its actually more than 2, multiple instructors/LM gurus have stated the same thing in other threads), and you default to childish insults. Who is triggered here, the ones looking at objective data or the one who might have had his ego slightly bruised ?

280 out of 163 is much different than 300 out of 160. Again, ball