2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Taylormade M5 & M6 Woods - Pics added page 46

chadillac65

All this talk about price makes me glad I get the military discount from TM and PXG. Brings the price to a reasonable number.

Do you have to be active military or does a Vietnam vet qualify?

Driver .....TM M2  12* ... Stock shaft Reg.

3 Wood...TM M2 HL 16*..stock reg shaft

7 Wood  TM  M2... stock shaft reg.

Hybrids....Adams.... A3OS Boxer  3-4-5 hybrids..Grafalloy  platinum Reg flex

Cobra F7 one length irons..... 6 - SW .. ...shafts.. Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue Axis @ 37.5"

Putter (varies) currently Custom made Starship model

Peace....  Update... 69 yrs old shot 68 this summer(2021)... God I love this game...

Here is my question. And this club release is no different than most others, nothing has been quantified. TM states there is an improvement, in this case it is the COR/CT issue. Basically every head is right at the limit so in theory the manufacturing tolerances are tighter. With that said one could begin to think that all other drivers up until this release, the manufacturing tolerances are greater. My M4 might be a "hot" head that is right at the limit or perhaps it is a "dud", one that is at the other end of the manufacturing tolerance spectrum. So back to my question, let's take a M4 for example. What is the ball speed difference between a "hot" head and a "dud" head? Or should I think that there is a reason this has not been quantified?

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-9, Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 46°, 50°, 54° D, 60° T, Mitsubishi MMT 85s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

All this talk about price makes me glad I get the military discount from TM and PXG. Brings the price to a reasonable number.

Do you have to be active military or does a Vietnam vet qualify?

Any vet qualifies. I've been out for about 10 years now. If you still have your DD-214 or whatever else id.me is asking for to verify your service, you're good. They have a lot of other discounts from other companies too.

http://id.me

Both TM and PXG use them.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Here is my question. And this club release is no different than most others, nothing has been quantified. TM states there is an improvement, in this case it is the COR/CT issue. Basically every head is right at the limit so in theory the manufacturing tolerances are tighter. With that said one could begin to think that all other drivers up until this release, the manufacturing tolerances are greater. My M4 might be a "hot" head that is right at the limit or perhaps it is a "dud", one that is at the other end of the manufacturing tolerance spectrum. So back to my question, let's take a M4 for example. What is the ball speed difference between a "hot" head and a "dud" head? Or should I think that there is a reason this has not been quantified?

Probably translates to less than +-3 yards from the best to worst head in carry distance difference.

I think part of what is getting lost in this debate about the higher ball speeds for the driver is the gain in ball speed by switching balls. In TTK3309 (buddy of mine) review he states ball speed went from 169 to 172 by switching from the TP5 to the TP5x before trying the tour head. Eliminate this gain and his smash is a 1.52x, which is attainable with the technology of today. You see a 1.52 smash by pros on the broadcasts all the time. I play with him quite frequently and his swing speed is right around that 112-113 mph and I don't think you can tweak trackman to give higher ball speed numbers. 175 mph ball speed is a huge gain for him and its a combo of things with the new set up, but its already got me scheduling a fitting as I told him I refuse to let him outdrive me on daily basis! Most of the gain he's getting is the club, but also 3 mph is from the ball that most people don't seem to be factoring in.

[color=#A9A9A9][b]Driver:[/b] 2016 TM M1 9.5* / Atmos Black 7 TX
[b]Fairway:[/b] 2017 TM M1 15* / Tensei Pro White 80 TX
[b]Irons:[/b] TM 790 UDI 2 Iron / HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist T-MB 4 Iron / TT Dynamic Gold X-100
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2's 5-PW / TT Dynamic Gold X-100
[b]Wedge:s[/b] Vokey SM6 50.08F, [color=#A9A9A9]56.10S & [color=#A9A9A9]60.08M[/color] [/color] / TT Dynamic Gold S-300
[b]Putter:[/b] TM Spider Tour Black T-Line 34"[/color]

I also have a question. Looking at the size of the m5 fairway weight and the amount of movement, it would appear that there is really only about half of the 65gms that actually moves from centre. Moving over 30gms is still a considerable amount of weight, but is the 65gms v 30+gms more a marketing outcome or is there a physics benefit?

Btw - I don't begrudge it being a marketing outcome. It's what I would do if I was taylormade.

Also, I like the matt finish. Plus having a 14deg, plus having the m5 in a bigger footprint.

I think part of what is getting lost in this debate about the higher ball speeds for the driver is the gain in ball speed by switching balls. In TTK3309 (buddy of mine) review he states ball speed went from 169 to 172 by switching from the TP5 to the TP5x before trying the tour head. Eliminate this gain and his smash is a 1.52x, which is attainable with the technology of today. You see a 1.52 smash by pros on the broadcasts all the time. I play with him quite frequently and his swing speed is right around that 112-113 mph and I don't think you can tweak trackman to give higher ball speed numbers. 175 mph ball speed is a huge gain for him and its a combo of things with the new set up, but its already got me scheduling a fitting as I told him I refuse to let him outdrive me on daily basis! Most of the gain he's getting is the club, but also 3 mph is from the ball that most people don't seem to be factoring in.

112 gets 175 ball speed ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

So we know that these new drivers aren't producing much, if any jump in ball speed for the reviewers. That's fine, I don't think anyone really expected they would.

I'm still optimistic that there will be a noticeable real world jump in ball speed on miss hits during rounds of golf for average folks. Unfortunately, that will probably take a lot of time sorting through review posts months after release to figure out. None of the professional reviewers are purposely miss hitting balls to test off center performance. And they are accomplished enough golfers that the data they compile for reviews tend to all be pretty good shots without a ton of wandering around the face, at least compared to someone like me.

People haven't been ranting and raving about the G400 series due to ball speeds. People have been blown away by forgiveness. Unfortunately forgiveness or lack thereof just doesn't really come across in these professional reviews where they hop in a sim and crush a handful of drives. You have to have real people playing real golf and giving long term feed back.

Get ready for some ridiculous claims. Even some that go against physics.

So we know that these new drivers aren't producing much, if any jump in ball speed for the reviewers. That's fine, I don't think anyone really expected they would.

I'm still optimistic that there will be a noticeable real world jump in ball speed on miss hits during rounds of golf for average folks. Unfortunately, that will probably take a lot of time sorting through review posts months after release to figure out. None of the professional reviewers are purposely miss hitting balls to test off center performance. And they are accomplished enough golfers that the data they compile for reviews tend to all be pretty good shots without a ton of wandering around the face, at least compared to someone like me.

People haven't been ranting and raving about the G400 series due to ball speeds. People have been blown away by forgiveness. Unfortunately forgiveness or lack thereof just doesn't really come across in these professional reviews where they hop in a sim and crush a handful of drives. You have to have real people playing real golf and giving long term feed back.

Did you see the tee marks on the club faces in Rick Shiels review? He’s certainly exploring the entire face. It would actually be nice if he embraced the fact that he strikes it inconsistently and shared those results on how well clubs retain ball speed off center.

15 I think.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 9* w/Ventus Blue Velocore<br />Callaway AI Smoke Max 3 Wood w/Ventus Blue Velocore<br />Callaway AI Smoke Max 5 Wood w/Ventus Blue Velocore<br />Artisan Prototype Irons 4-PW w/KBS Tour FLT 120 (1 of 1) <br />Artisan "MT" 50*<br />Artisan "MT" 56* w/TW 54* Sole<br />Artisan "MT" 60*<br />Artisan TX Proto Putter<br />TM TP5X

So no more sleeps. And no more ball speed. Lol.

For reference. It made the exact same speed as the g400 max as tested by Rick.

One thing the RS doesn’t test is combined ball speed gain of M5/M6 PLUS TP5/TP5X...

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

For my particular purposes I'm less concerned about cheating and more concerned about the resin moving around. Wonder what the melting temp on the resin is. I try not to, but I've been known to have to leave my clubs in the car after an early morning (pre work) round. I assume that the resin is thick enough that I don't have to worry about it melting? More like speed foam and less like hotmelt. I'm assuming that's the case because it would be a major QA nightmare if that's not the case.

I don't think you'll have to worry about that. From my time hands on with the cutaway during product sales meetings and seeing the resin dams behind the face, as best as I can tell try to think of the resin as more of a solid after it cures...almost like epoxy. I don't see it melting or running like that.

More like epoxy is a good way to describe it. It's not going to move around through the normal course of play or storage. I didn't think to ask about warm temps while I was there (among many things I wish I had asked in hindsight), but I have no reason to suspect this will be an issue. It's such an obvious point of failure that I trust it's been tested thoroughly.

Time to call TMAG on the marketing crap. There is no way on gods earth that green crap was "injected" into the head. Liquid injected into a cavity would not form that uniform shape. That resin clearly has been formed in a mould and inserted

The Epic flash thread and this thread will be good follows... The ball speed claims for the epic flash are ramping up big time as well. There is a bit in the epic flash thread, where Ollie Schneiderjans said his high BS went from 182 to 189 or something like that. I find that hard to believe, given he's hitting it on the center everytime- Don't know how that's even possible, given cor is maxed. The other ultra pro Cally message board has the hype thread on overdrive right now, haha...

That being said, I'm interested in trying out the M6 and the epic flash- not in to the M5 looks. I love the super deep face on the epic flash, but hate the sole and the weird white line going through the crown. I really like the looks of the M6.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

For my particular purposes I'm less concerned about cheating and more concerned about the resin moving around. Wonder what the melting temp on the resin is. I try not to, but I've been known to have to leave my clubs in the car after an early morning (pre work) round. I assume that the resin is thick enough that I don't have to worry about it melting? More like speed foam and less like hotmelt. I'm assuming that's the case because it would be a major QA nightmare if that's not the case.

I don't think you'll have to worry about that. From my time hands on with the cutaway during product sales meetings and seeing the resin dams behind the face, as best as I can tell try to think of the resin as more of a solid after it cures...almost like epoxy. I don't see it melting or running like that.

More like epoxy is a good way to describe it. It's not going to move around through the normal course of play or storage. I didn't think to ask about warm temps while I was there (among many things I wish I had asked in hindsight), but I have no reason to suspect this will be an issue. It's such an obvious point of failure that I trust it's been tested thoroughly.

Time to call TMAG on the marketing crap. There is no way on gods earth that green crap was "injected" into the head. Liquid injected into a cavity would not form that uniform shape. That resin clearly has been formed in a mould and inserted

The green part is a foam insert that creates the pocket into which the resin is injected. In the cutaway I posted, you can see the resin on the right side between the face and the foam. It's an off-white color.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

One thing the RS doesn't test is combined ball speed gain of M5/M6 PLUS TP5/TP5X...

are people seriously seeing 3 mph just from the tp5x ball ? serious question as ive never hit one ...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

all marketing hype. every company is sooo close to the legal limit already that moving .00000000000000000000000001% closer will not make a noticeable difference in ball speed.

Lol. But they have someone on here claiming 10 mph now and 1.55 smash. I'm flabbergasted that nobody else saw that post.

Yes it is, but that's if you have accurate club and ball data. If the ball speed is 1 mph high and driver swing speed is 1 mph low (which is well in the tolerance of trackman) you would see a smash factor that is high. It's not uncommon to see 1.52 1.53 smash factor.

Trackman is probably under-reporting clubhead speed. Common issue.

I was just about to write this. Trackman is not good at club head speed. I'm a club fitter and we do not even show swing speed to people because of this mysterious 1.55 smash factor that is causing madness. Ball speed to ball speed.

I thought the max that smash factor could possibly be is 1.50..... correct or not??

Correct, but trackman has a hard time reading club head speed. It also has tolerances for its data, so if the head speed is read low and ball speed is read high you could get high smash factor numbers. I was just saying instead of focusing on a number that I can be skewed look at the data that is more accurate like ball data. Launch, spin, and carry are the numbers that trackman excels at.

Taylormade M5 Pro White 70x
Taylormade M5 rocket Pro White 70x
Taylormade P790 3 iron tour prototype
Taylormade P730 4-pw $-taper 130x
Taylormade MG 50 54
Taylormade High toe 58
Taylormade Spider tour Black.

What's TM military discount,10%?

15%

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
(¬¬)

The Epic flash thread and this thread will be good follows... The ball speed claims for the epic flash are ramping up big time as well. There is a bit in the epic flash thread, where Ollie Schneiderjans said his high BS went from 182 to 189 or something like that. I find that hard to believe, given he's hitting it on the center everytime- Don't know how that's even possible, given cor is maxed. The other ultra pro Cally message board has the hype thread on overdrive right now, haha...

That being said, I'm interested in trying out the M6 and the epic flash- not in to the M5 looks. I love the super deep face on the epic flash, but hate the sole and the weird white line going through the crown. I really like the looks of the M6.

I have not been to that other message board in a while but i can imagine that the Cally marking machine is working them over hard

The green part is a foam insert that creates the pocket into which the resin is injected. In the cutaway I posted, you can see the resin on the right side between the face and the foam. It's an off-white color.

Here's a picture. I thought this was clear how it worked, but I can understand the confusion the more I think about it. As I said, the green foam is a backing material that helps create the resin pockets. The resin is injected into these pockets via the holes in the face. No marketing crap here. This is how it's created.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

One thing the RS doesn't test is combined ball speed gain of M5/M6 PLUS TP5/TP5X...

are people seriously seeing 3 mph just from the tp5x ball ? serious question as ive never hit one ...

Yes. Re-read my ball section with an open mind. TaylorMade literally went out to clubs of some of their PGA staff members and had the pro find the most die-hard Pro V1/V1x loyalists they could. These were people who played the V1/V1x for at least 7 years and had no desire to switch. They tested them on a launch monitor and ball speed with the TP5/TP5x increased +5 yards off driver and +7.9 yards on the irons when compared to the Pro V1/V1x. And this is conservative and all TaylorMade was allowed to claim by their legal department.

There is a legit ball speed story with this ball, but don't take my word for it. Go do a test yourself. It's something that shows up immediately on a launch monitor.

Edit to add: I'll bet this was 2019 TP5/TP5x to 2017-18 Pro V1/V1x, but the point still stands. Even if you compare the new generation TP5x to the current model, you'll still see 2-3 mph increases based on what I saw.

EDIT x2: Typed mph instead of yards here. I had yards correct in my original post. The gains during TM's test of pro v1 loyalists was +5 yards off driver, +7.9 yards off irons. My bad. I was thinking the ball speed increase I saw in my testing. Whoops.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Wait til tomorrow and that site will blow up with Callaway love

Just to clarify, with his former driver, he hit 189 MPH in the summer. Ollie said he was hitting 189 in the winter with the Epic Flash. As of yet, Ollie isn't hitting the ball faster with the Flash that we are aware of. He suspects his numbers will increase with the Flash in the summer.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

What's TM military discount,10%?

15%

Only through them or box retailers? This is nice information....

Only through them as far as I know. I've also received similar discounts from other OEMs by mentioning this one to their customer service departments.

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
(¬¬)

Correct, but trackman has a hard time reading club head speed. It also has tolerances for its data, so if the head speed is read low and ball speed is read high you could get high smash factor numbers. I was just saying instead of focusing on a number that I can be skewed look at the data that is more accurate like ball data. Launch, spin, and carry are the numbers that trackman excels at.

Thank you! So many people get hung up on smash factor, but no fitter I work with shows it or club head speed. It's all about ball data, which is generally accurate.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post