2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Taylormade M5 & M6 Woods - Pics added page 46

chadillac65

Rick Shiels you tube review was deflating.

Really?

I thought he did himself a disservice. It was like he was so obsessed with measuring ballspeed - he completely ignored the other numbers.

If I saw correctly - his ballspeed was about the same as a bunch of other clubs. OK, boo hoo, everyone didnt get faster. But then he breezed through the final chart which showed that the M5 launched higher with way lower spin than his "ideal range". His carry distance was 5 yards high than the high end of that range and the total distance was 8 yards farther.

edit - screenshot added

Would have really expected him to highlight - AND BE EXCITED BY - those results. But instead he seemed so sad at the end of the video talking about, awhhh what a downside it was that he didn't see more ballspeed. He also said on offcenter hits he still missed fairways? No kidding. A couple shots of the drivers showed tee marks all over the place.

Personally I'd have to go back and try hard to find drivers that gave him these numbers.

FWIW the sound of the M5 compared to the M3 is what stood out to me.

im sure he was deflated because hed already hit the flash and saw 1.5 mph ball speed jump ( from rogue to flash) and longer carry .... he couldnt fake love it after that im sure .

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Looks like there's a hidden Jailbreak Tech just in the M5??

Nice find...

Don't recall the M3 having a jailbreak like support system and it's a similar track to the M5 abliet, yeah, it's Y vs T track. I guess the WRX guy who use to do the X-Ray driver heads may want to take a few pictures to confirm.

Wonder what Callaway will say about that...

It looks like that's in a place that would be supporting the carbon crown. I doubt that would be working like Jailbreak does, as I'd doubt that anchoring the carbon crown to the sole would prevent or limit overall deformation at impact like Jailbreak does, since the Jailbreak rods in Callaway are in the titanium (stronger area) portion of the club.

thats all it is.. a support for the crown ... so much carbon there now it has to have a skeleton

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

AN1Rmq.png

What does “Rick’s Optimum Performance Data Averages” mean? Is that an average of the best of all of his accumulated shots in the past? And if so, doesn’t that mean that the M5 beat his best shots (with other drivers) in every category? (Full disclosure: I haven’t watched his review yet.)

And, for what it’s worth, I always assumed the emphasis in “Everyone Gets Faster” was on “everyone” - meaning that the technology allows players of all skill levels to have access to optimum ball speeds, not just the best players who hit the center of the sweet spot every time. Basically, expand the sweet spot so ball speeds are more consistent across a larger face area.

...Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought it was generally well known that, for the past couple of years, TaylorMade R&D has been focusing on technology to improve consistency and dispersion for inconsistent impacts, not on pure distance claims.

His averages are supposedly based on all data collected over the previous 12 months.

And you need to remember Rick isn't the sharpest too in the box...the fact that he wouldn't get optimal gains due to his ability has obviously passed him by.

Like when he reviews Cobra drivers and doesn't understand what the "tech" means he finds something irrelevant to talk about for the duration of the review. He just can't bring himself to say good things about certain clubs.

Isn’t that how honest reviews work ? If he praised everything wouldn’t that be fake ?

I’ve watched his reviews since the sldr days. He’s always loved Taylormade. He slobbered all over the m1 430. And the 17m1 460. Can’t call him a hater of anything as far as I can see.

I take their marketing exactly as he does. A promise of “ more speed “. More over what ? Over anything I’ve seen. What else ? No evidence of delivery .... yet. And I’m telling you they had me going this time. With the foam and the screws. It seemed like they may have found something. Then it tests and nothing.

All we saw was higher launch and some more carry. Well. Most people already know that more dynamic loft will increase carry to a point. And sure Rick must not be maxed on usable loft and launch. But. Here’s the rub. Optimum launch on a monitor rarely if ever plays well in the real world. A ball launched at 16 -17 degrees and 165 mph with 1900 rpm spin is dead useless if the wind blows. Why ? It will knock it out of the sky and in whichever direction it’s blowing.

So all we see is a higher launching head. Which can be achieved by lofting up any head made. Trouble is higher launching becomes unusable at some point. Is rick over that line ? No clue.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I get why TM's claim "everyone gets faster" is confusing at face value, but after hearing the explanation that the club across the whole of the face is faster, I get it. This is lost on Rick unfortunately.

Everyone gets faster meaning: everyone gets faster on off-center hits. If Rick is knicking it out the center of the face each time (both on his previous M3/M4 tests as well as now), he's obviously not going to see an improvement.

Driver: TSR3 10.0* | Accra Tour Z RPG 472 45"

5 Wood: SIM Max 18.5* | Mitsubishi MMT 85TX

2i: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* | KBS Prototype 95X

3i: Ping i59 @ 21* | Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
4-PW: Callaway TCB Raw | Project X 7.0
Wedges: 50&54&60: Cleveland CBX Zipcore | Project X 6.5
Putter: Cobra Vintage Sport-60

For the discount, u have to sign up and provide proof of military service at id.me

Once registered, long on to TM site and it will prompt you for your ID.me log on. Then when you add item to cart, it will apply discount.

I'm in. Thank you

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

Isn't that how honest reviews work ? If he praised everything wouldn't that be fake ?

I've watched his reviews since the sldr days. He's always loved Taylormade. He slobbered all over the m1 430. And the 17m1 460. Can't call him a hater of anything as far as I can see.

I take their marketing exactly as he does. A promise of " more speed ". More over what ? Over anything I've seen. What else ? No evidence of delivery .... yet. And I'm telling you they had me going this time. With the foam and the screws. It seemed like they may have found something. Then it tests and nothing.

All we saw was higher launch and some more carry. Well. Most people already know that more dynamic loft will increase carry to a point. And sure Rick must not be maxed on usable loft and launch. But. Here's the rub. Optimum launch on a monitor rarely if ever plays well in the real world. A ball launched at 16 -17 degrees and 165 mph with 1900 rpm spin is dead useless if the wind blows. Why ? It will knock it out of the sky and in whichever direction it's blowing.

So all we see is a higher launching head. Which can be achieved by lofting up any head made. Trouble is higher launching becomes unusable at some point. Is rick over that line ? No clue.

The Callaway Epic Flash seemed to produce extremely similar results for him. Although, with the Epic, he had about 3 mph more ball speed and 1mph extra club speed. Pretty negligible. I don't know that either company is going to be able to live up to the speed claims that everyone seems to be anticipating.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Honestly, I'm excited to see some real world reviews from WRXers on all the new drivers. I seem to remember the 2016 M2 getting some tepid reviews out of the gate, then once it was in more hands by early summer, it was a monster and on its way to a cult classic. I'm sure a few of the drivers from the class of 2019 will start separating themselves in the next 4 months. Interested to see which of the m5/m6 is better in the real world and which of the epic flash drivers ends up better per the board here. Luckily I rotate a 2016/ 2017 M2 and. G400lst, so I don't feel the need to run out and grab something-- easy to say, but I probably have a new driver in 2 months, haha....

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

Isn't that how honest reviews work ? If he praised everything wouldn't that be fake ?

I've watched his reviews since the sldr days. He's always loved Taylormade. He slobbered all over the m1 430. And the 17m1 460. Can't call him a hater of anything as far as I can see.

I take their marketing exactly as he does. A promise of " more speed ". More over what ? Over anything I've seen. What else ? No evidence of delivery .... yet. And I'm telling you they had me going this time. With the foam and the screws. It seemed like they may have found something. Then it tests and nothing.

All we saw was higher launch and some more carry. Well. Most people already know that more dynamic loft will increase carry to a point. And sure Rick must not be maxed on usable loft and launch. But. Here's the rub. Optimum launch on a monitor rarely if ever plays well in the real world. A ball launched at 16 -17 degrees and 165 mph with 1900 rpm spin is dead useless if the wind blows. Why ? It will knock it out of the sky and in whichever direction it's blowing.

The Callaway Epic Flash seemed to produce extremely similar results for him. Although, with the Epic, he had about 3 mph more ball speed and 1mph extra club speed. Pretty negligible. I don't know that either company is going to be able to live up to the speed claims that everyone seems to be anticipating.

oh i agree.. 1-3 mph isnt worth mentioning ...could be caused by 10 things.. BUT to have no gain whatsoever ? thats the kick in the jewels... and upcharge for it ?

The explanation of faster across the face doesnt hold up.. "everyone" would have to include everyone... You guys are saying that center mass isnt faster .... plenty of guys middle a driver... thats not everyone...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Honestly, I'm excited to see some real world reviews from WRXers on all the new drivers. I seem to remember the 2016 M2 getting some tepid reviews out of the gate, then once it was in more hands by early summer, it was a monster and on its way to a cult classic. I'm sure a few of the drivers from the class of 2019 will start separating themselves in the next 4 months. Interested to see which of the m5/m6 is better in the real world and which of the epic flash drivers ends up better per the board here. Luckily I rotate a 2016/ 2017 M2 and. G400lst, so I don't feel the need to run out and grab something-- easy to say, but I probably have a new driver in 2 months, haha....

I bought the OG M2 simply because it was $100 cheaper than everything else. Didn't expect it to be as solid as it was. Being the "lower end" model, I definitely didn't think it would be as popular here as it was.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

well said. I applaud the marketeers of all the Mfg's right now. Honestly they're are numerous great drivers that have been made the past decade. Take Ping and their success with the G series and culminating with the 400.... They finally got the sound right after making maybe one of the longest drivers ever in the 30lst can the 410 series really be any better. Hats off to their businesses and our needs that continue to perpetuate these cycles. I'm afraid it probably won't end until the next recession .hits again. But it is fun debating and comparing the new toys each year. Its the American way everyone wants the new model car and sneKers to show off, even though a 2016 F150 is just as nice as the 2019's .

The explanation of faster across the face doesnt hold up.. "everyone" would have to include everyone... You guys are saying that center mass isnt faster .... plenty of guys middle a driver... thats not everyone...

They could have chosen better wording, absolutely. Maybe "Everywhere (except the center) gets faster".... lol

oh i agree.. 1-3 mph isnt worth mentioning ...could be caused by 10 things.. BUT to have no gain whatsoever ? thats the kick in the jewels... and upcharge for it ?

Yeah, I think it is a victim of it's own overly aggressive marketing campaign. Callaway is kind of in the same boat. But, we shall see. I am trying to curb my expectations. If I get more speed towards the toe, I will be happy with my mishits are a little closer to the hole.

Edit: Just to clarify, the Epic Flash was 3 mph faster than the M5. It was only 1.5mph faster than the Rogue SZ.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Yeah, I think it is a victim of it's own overly aggressive marketing campaign.

Maybe they should have said "Everybody, that had a bottom end of the tolerance driver (dud) in the past, gets Faster"

They could have chosen better wording, absolutely. Maybe "Everywhere (except the center) gets faster".... lol

Yep. It’s trivial on one hand for sure. I just hate a tease. And they teased this for 30 sleeps or some crap to deliver ..... an m3 and m4. Basically. Truth would sell this driver. Higher launch , low spin. More carry. And fast across the face. Say that and tease it for 90 days and nobody gripes.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

So you are waiting for the first few to say that "they have seen parts of the golf course they never have before". Then wait a few months and realize they went back to their old driver or are playing something different.

Yeah, I think it is a victim of it's own overly aggressive marketing campaign. Callaway is kind of in the same boat. But, we shall see. I am trying to curb my expectations. If I get more speed towards the toe, I will be happy with my mishits are a little closer to the hole.

Edit: Just to clarify, the Epic Flash was 3 mph faster than the M5. It was only 1.5mph faster than the Rogue SZ.

Agree. Only reason I give callaway a pass is I myself saw 4 mph over my old rogue. And shields saw an increase too. I know my numbers from m4 and 17 m1. I’m happy to be wrong when , if ever , it is for sale.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Agree. Only reason I give callaway a pass is I myself saw 4 mph over my old rogue. And shields saw an increase too. I know my numbers from m4 and 17 m1. I'm happy to be wrong when , if ever , it is for sale.

Are you talking on center contact?? Or averaged out during your testing?

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I’m in the market for a new driver this year and I’m not worried about cost within reason. Can’t wait to try out M5, Flash, G410, PXG, and shaft combos to see what performs. Coming from the original Callaway FT Optiforce (2013) so hoping for noticeable gains.

Spot on Bladehunter. Rick was right to focus on ball speed given the claims that Taylormade were making.

This is crazy posting. So based on my reading of the numerous posts in this thread, it seems we are getting a driver that gives little additional ball speed (and distance) and everyone is complaining. But what we get is a driver that gives us better dispersion all over the face (this is a bad thing)? Nope, if you hit it in the middle of the face you don’t get much if any additional distance. But if you don’t hit the middle, you get similar distance.......seems pretty smart for TM to go after a market where Ping pretty much dominated last year with the G400 Max. Which is better? Who knows, but if I was watching and wanted to sell golf clubs, I would surely be paying attention to Ping. So the end result is we are all faster over the entire face, I am certainly not one to complain about that. .

You sound upset.

Not upset in the least. I would say most others are upset due to no additional distance. This looks like a dispersion gain to me. I am all about it. Really don’t see much opportunity to improve distance in any event.

So you are waiting for the first few to say that "they have seen parts of the golf course they never have before". Then wait a few months and realize they went back to their old driver or are playing something different.

Yep! Then I will find out what their original driver was and buy that, because they went back to that over the new one. It's definitely more accurate than watching a 14 handicap like Rick Sheils hit it all over the face and proclaim something worthy or not worthy.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

I get why TM's claim "everyone gets faster" is confusing at face value, but after hearing the explanation that the club across the whole of the face is faster, I get it. This is lost on Rick unfortunately.

Everyone gets faster meaning: everyone gets faster on off-center hits. If Rick is knicking it out the center of the face each time (both on his previous M3/M4 tests as well as now), he's obviously not going to see an improvement.

The fact that Rick doesn't always hit centre might be lost on others.

This is crazy posting. So based on my reading of the numerous posts in this thread, it seems we are getting a driver that gives little additional ball speed (and distance) and everyone is complaining. But what we get is a driver that gives us better dispersion all over the face (this is a bad thing)? Nope, if you hit it in the middle of the face you don't get much if any additional distance. But if you don't hit the middle, you get similar distance.......seems pretty smart for TM to go after a market where Ping pretty much dominated last year with the G400 Max. Which is better? Who knows, but if I was watching and wanted to sell golf clubs, I would surely be paying attention to Ping. So the end result is we are all faster over the entire face, I am certainly not one to complain about that. .

You sound upset.

Not upset in the least. I would say most others are upset due to no additional distance. This looks like a dispersion gain to me. I am all about it. Really don't see much opportunity to improve distance in any event.

I just don't get this. How do you know there's no additional distance without hitting it yourself and comparing? That's the one bad thing about all these reviews. Everyone thinks that the results the youtube guys get are going to be the exact same results they get. Hit it and then b**** if there's no additional distance. Then also don't buy it. Pretty simple.

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

Early candidate for post of the year