2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Actual secret

N0rs3man

7 hours ago, footmashie said:

Yeah so what’s your point?   You would rather go by 2nd hand speculation than getting it straight from the horses mouth?   Weird. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

2 hours ago, footmashie said:

Burke's description of Hogan's procedure to hit a fade, or a non hook,  is not in 5 Lessons was one point.  Don't kid yourself, Jackie has plenty of first hand information from Hogan about Hogan he has graciously shared with the golfing community. 

Have you ever read the article?   Burke is a smart guy, and Hogan may have done that with a driver, but what about the rest of the clubs?  Even if he did do it, it wasn’t a secret.  

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

True.  Hogan probably figured out the best way to hit every shot high low. Downhill uphill bunkers probably the best way to hit a ball stuck in a tree.  

As for the secret I really dont think it was a mechanical move. Otherwise smart golfers would have picked it up.  The self appointed moderator of this thread might disagree.  He cracks me up

I have been trying getting the wrist cupped at the top of my backswing to help me with my overactive right hand and so far it seems to be working. I already swing against a firm right leg. What I tried that wasn't working was pronating the left hand/forearm during the takeaway so I have come to the conclusion this is only necessary if one has a weak left hand grip, which I don't. I am also pressing the right hand against the left to start the swing and this also seems to help me from pulling the right hand back. 

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

5 hours ago, Gsea said:

Don’t let the truth get in the way of their narrative 

Life_Magazine_Hogan.pdf

Edited by dlygrisse

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

PDF's don't seem to open, I have a copy of the article in PDF format but when I post it here I get an error message, is this happening for everyone else?  

Edited by dlygrisse

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

On 10/2/2020 at 10:21 PM, dlygrisse said:

Not sure why, he emphatically stated in the article what the secret was.  Was he lying then?   
Doesn’t seem like Hogan, he seemed like the type of guy who tell you the honest truth or to buzz off.  --> Like I always say, he never lied. He's an honorable man. But there are many ways to tell the truth without giving away his real secret. The things he tells us he did is true. Those things really happened in his swing post secret. But they are the result of his real secret.

My guess is all these other “secrets” were current swing thoughts he was tinkering with or obvious fundamental issues he observed in others. --> Nope, not that. Not his swing thoughts or aha moment. He wouldn't tell us if he didn't think it really is part of his swing mechanic. Like you said yourself, he told the truth(mind you not the whole truth) or to buzz off. 

his secret that took him from being a journeyman pro to legend was something that allowed him to stop snap hooking it and hit a power fade.  That is well documented. --> Not even Tiger woods could stop snap hooking it with his extensive knowledge of what Hogan taught and his own immense knowledge of the golf swing. So Hogan's secret still eludes even The Goat himself. 

The Life magazine article addresses exactly that.  Try it, it works.  In fact I use it if I need to hit a big slice.  So yes, he is laughing in his grave at you. --> I'm not quite sure what you mean by you being able to hit a big slice using Hogan secret. You're re-affirming the notion that Hogan secret only helps him and him only? Is that it? Anyways, we can agree to disagree that Hogan is laughing in his grave for whatever reason. You think he's laughing at my camp that says he took his secret to the grave while in fact he did tell all. Fair enough. For me, he's laughing at people who thought he revealed all.

Here's something for you to ponder. How did he completely took out one side of the course with what appears to be exactly the same backswing and transition he used in his duck hooky day? And no, I'm not talking about how his swing got flatter and flatter as he aged either.

Edited by SwagGolf6112

On 10/4/2020 at 2:06 AM, alansmithdc said:

What happens to your swing if you wait till the top of your swing to pronate your left forearm?  This move would explain Hogan's clubhead drop prior too the downswing.

Nope he didn't drop the clubhead with that move at all. Look at it closely and you can clearly see from all the footage that his left wrist is still cupped. Amazing how many people still think that is "the move". What you stated most PGA pros does on a regular basis and still hits it all over the place.

On 10/4/2020 at 2:09 AM, alansmithdc said:

Try Hogan's change where he moved his left thumb a half inch to the left on his grip

So a weak grip. How did he square it early and kept it square all the way without the arms crossing over then? And no it isn't the "intentional" bowing of the left wrist from the top either.

1 hour ago, SwagGolf6112 said:

Here's something for you to ponder. How did he completely took out one side of the course with what appears to be exactly the same backswing and transition he used in his duck hooky day? And no, I'm not talking about how his swing got flatter and flatter as he aged either.

Welcome back.  Hope you had a chance to fine tune your swing this weekend. Obviously my answer to your question is a Hogan quote "Why dont you aim more right"

1 hour ago, SwagGolf6112 said:

Nope he didn't drop the clubhead with that move at all. Look at it closely and you can clearly see from all the footage that his left wrist is still cupped. Amazing how many people still think that is "the move". What you stated most PGA pros does on a regular basis and still hits it all over the place.

So a weak grip. How did he square it early and kept it square all the way without the arms crossing over then? And no it isn't the "intentional" bowing of the left wrist from the top either.

I agree.  Dont see the pronation move from the top but also dont see him madly whipping the club inside by pronating the left wrist. Which leaves a gradual pronation on the back swing

3 hours ago, alansmithdc said:

Welcome back.  Hope you had a chance to fine tune your swing this weekend. Obviously my answer to your question is a Hogan quote "Why dont you aim more right"

Thanks. When I practice nowadays, distance control is the only thing I focus on. Not so much swing mechanics or shot shaping. 

Now to the "aim more right" comment. Do you mind elaborating a little what Hogan "meant" by that?

The left wrist cup will  disappear and then will flatten or bow if one turns the left hand counterclockwise using the last three fingers AGAINST a right hand that is maintaining it’s clockwise winding using the two right hand middle fingers. Just make sure it’s done by P6.

The result is an extremely stable clubface. With a little experimentation, a better golfer can dial in neutral during one range session. Need to open the face a little? Increase the grip pressure in the right RING finger. Need to close the face a little? Increase the grip pressure in the right MIDDLE finger.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SwagGolf6112 said:

Thanks. When I practice nowadays, distance control is the only thing I focus on. Not so much swing mechanics or shot shaping. 

Now to the "aim more right" comment. Do you mind elaborating a little what Hogan "meant" by that?

When a group of golfers asked him how to keep shots going to the left he responded, "Why don't you aim more right then"

• Haha 2

After reading this thread and reminding me about Hogans's weak grip and left hand pronation I've decided I'm going to give it a try given that I'm desperate to fix my hook. 

Interestingly, there seems to be a group of golfers that follow the one piece takeaway theory that claim that Hogan actually didn't pronate his left hand during the takeaway but honestly that has to be really subjective because it doesn't have to be a lot so could be barely noticeable to be effective. Also, at some point most golfers have to pronate the arm/hand to have all the bones lined up in the hand and arm at the top of the backswing, and they certainly don't have the same relation at address, however minute the difference. 

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

3 hours ago, alansmithdc said:

When a group of golfers asked him how to keep shots going to the left he responded, "Why don't you aim more right then"

Oh, Mr. Hogan. You're just a hoot. Just like when he told Gary player to f* off by saying "why don't you ask Mr. Dunlop" after Player tried to ask for swing tips LOL

9 hours ago, moehogan said:

The left wrist cup will  disappear and then will flatten or bow if one turns the left hand counterclockwise using the last three fingers AGAINST a right hand that is maintaining it’s clockwise winding using the two right hand middle fingers. Just make sure it’s done by P6.

The result is an extremely stable clubface. With a little experimentation, a better golfer can dial in neutral during one range session. Need to open the face a little? Increase the grip pressure in the right RING finger. Need to close the face a little? Increase the grip pressure in the right MIDDLE finger.

Pure gem folks. Practice this and you'll hit the ball more solid than you'll ever hit it in your life.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chipa said:

After reading this thread and reminding me about Hogans's weak grip and left hand pronation I've decided I'm going to give it a try given that I'm desperate to fix my hook. 

Interestingly, there seems to be a group of golfers that follow the one piece takeaway theory that claim that Hogan actually didn't pronate his left hand during the takeaway but honestly that has to be really subjective because it doesn't have to be a lot so could be barely noticeable to be effective. Also, at some point most golfers have to pronate the arm/hand to have all the bones lined up in the hand and arm at the top of the backswing, and they certainly don't have the same relation at address, however minute the difference. 

Interesting indeed... have a look see here

Edited by SwagGolf6112

On 10/5/2020 at 7:47 AM, moehogan said:

Any idea why using the ring finger and middle opens or closes the clubface a little?

LOL.  If I had to make an educated guess it is because the fulcrum (axis of rotation) of the right hand is slightly different between the ring finger and the middle finger. 
With the different pressures on the different levers, and adding in the dynamics ;of the swing, (Honestly I got lost in college Dynamic's class) the openness or closingness (is that even a word?) can be changed.

Who in their right mind thinks about these things?  Since it is being brought up, Hogan for sure.

I've read most of Hogans' stuff and have come to the conclusion that some of the stuff he thought he did he actually didn't. For example, I expect Hogan's swing speed after his accident was probably at 115 or so when he needed distance with the driver. At that swing speed there is very little one can do to manipulate the hands once the downswing has started, there is not enough time for one and the force of the club extending means the hands and arms are mostly resting the club flying out of the hands. Holding off rotation or adding rotation  of the arms/hands may be the only real exceptions once the downswing has started.

Edited by chipa

Notes:

Just now, alansmithdc said:

LOL.  If I had to make an educated guess it is because the fulcrum (axis of rotation) of the right hand is slightly different between the ring finger and the middle finger. 
With the different pressures on the different levers, and adding in the dynamics ;of the swing, (Honestly I got lost in college Dynamic's class) the openness or closingness (is that even a word?) can be changed.

Who in their right mind thinks about these things?  Since it is being brought up, Hogan for sure.

Which got me thinking about another approach to the golf swing.  Quantum entanglement, which the most basic thing I can think to describe it is that "everything is connected to everything."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement   Just add the words "...spin on a golf ball after the word spin used in the article. 

Imagine hitting a golf ball at Pebble Beach and it lands on a green 45 million light years from earth.  

Any theoretical physicists on Golf Wrks forum?  The earth spins, we spin in a golf swing, the ball spins after being hit.  Just seems like there is a possibility of adding what Einstein called "Spooky Science", science none the less to the discussion.